• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO NSO Missions and Rewards

my experience so far has indicated that you can definitely not change regions with any outstanding funds. this penny is killing me lmao
Screenshot-2024-03-07-at-9-31-14-AM.png
Screenshot-2024-03-07-at-9-31-28-AM.png

if anyone can confirm what's involved in "brute forcing it" i'm happy to test it out and see if it's still there when I change regions back

Okay, so I’ve looked into it a bit more (still haven’t attempted it myself yet, though), and it seems like it might only be the U.S. eShop that doesn’t allow you to change region if you have an existing eShop balance, but other regions (including Japan!) will allow you to change region even if you have a balance (but the balance is wiped). So, if that is indeed the case, you should have no problem moving from Japan to the U.S. if you have some Japanese eShop balance, but you can’t move from the U.S. to Japan with an existing balance in the U.S. eShop (at least not without contact Nintendo support, who may be able to wipe your balance and change your region for you). Again, I’ve not been able to confirm this myself, but that’s what I’m gathering based on what I’m seeing posted by people online on the matter.

Oh sweet, guess I'll do it in a bit!
Edit: so edit region on the website to Japan and the Switch will know that I've adjusted the region without issue?

Oh sweet, guess I'll do it in a bit!
Edit: so edit region on the website to Japan and the Switch will know that I've adjusted the region without issue?
Yeah I changed it on the website on my iPad and, literally a second later on my Switch, I opened the NSO app and it knew instantly.

Yeah I changed it on the website on my iPad and, literally a second later on my Switch, I opened the NSO app and it knew instantly.
Sweet, I'll farm a few more Platinum coins today and tomorrow and claim the icons! 🥰

So, on the subject of changing Nintendo Account regions, I ended up buying a ¥3,000 eShop card online so I could buy Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch while my region is set to Japan, and I’m left with ¥52 plus Gold Points that equal ¥148, so ¥200 total. I figure I should totally be able to find something to buy at this price…but I’m struggling to find anything I want that I don’t already own and is a single international release that would be recognized as the same game/DLC on the U.S. eShop… Wish we had the option to gift stuff on the eShop so I could buy some Mii Fighter outfits for my partner or something with that ¥200 rather than let it go to waste.

So, on the subject of changing Nintendo Account regions, I ended up buying a ¥3,000 eShop card online so I could buy Dr Kawashima’s Brain Training for Nintendo Switch while my region is set to Japan, and I’m left with ¥52 plus Gold Points that equal ¥148, so ¥200 total. I figure I should totally be able to find something to buy at this price…but I’m struggling to find anything I want that I don’t already own and is a single international release that would be recognized as the same game/DLC on the U.S. eShop… Wish we had the option to gift stuff on the eShop so I could buy some Mii Fighter outfits for my partner or something with that ¥200 rather than let it go to waste.
looks like Toki Tori 2+ and Furi are both 200 yen on the dot currently—both pretty good games imo! or you could go for D3's "THE Card", which is what I would do...

more options here if you set the region to JP in the upper left:
https://www.dekudeals.com/games?filter[price_range][min]=1&filter[price_range][max]=200

Quoted by: Tye
looks like Toki Tori 2+ and Furi are both 200 yen on the dot currently—both pretty good games imo! or you could go for D3's "THE Card", which is what I would do...

more options here if you set the region to JP in the upper left:
https://www.dekudeals.com/games?filter[price_range][min]=1&filter[price_range][max]=200
I initially had hoped to get Toki Tori 2+ when I saw it on sale for ¥200, actually, since I owned the game on 3DS but never finished it and haven’t bought it on Switch yet, but unfortunately the game has a different publisher in Japan and as such is treated as a separate game. I even tested this out by downloading the demo from the European eShop, confirming that going to Software Information > Nintendo eShop does in fact take me to the game’s page on the U.S. eShop, but gives an error when I try to visit it on the Japanese eShop. So since it won’t be recognized as having purchased Toki Tori 2+ from the U.S. eShop if I buy the Japanese version, I don’t want to get it that way. I did look through all the other games currently priced at ¥200 or below on Deku Deals (though they’re missing a lot of stuff from the Japanese eShop, particularly DLC, so what you can find on there isn’t the entirety of what’s actually available, unfortunately), but nothing else is really of interest to me. Though it’s possible I could have missed some stuff that isn’t listed on Deck Deals. Thanks for the recommendations, though!

my experience so far has indicated that you can definitely not change regions with any outstanding funds. this penny is killing me lmao
Screenshot-2024-03-07-at-9-31-14-AM.png
Screenshot-2024-03-07-at-9-31-28-AM.png

if anyone can confirm what's involved in "brute forcing it" i'm happy to test it out and see if it's still there when I change regions back
Since you don't need to have Gold Coins empty, your best bet is to find something that totals to less than 2.92 after taxes and just use gold coins to make the difference.

Okay, I finally managed to find some stuff to spend my ¥200 on in the Japanese eShop, lol. Got The Prince Vorkken DLC for The Wonderful 101: Remastered, and one of the Working Zombies skins for Picross X. Now my account’s set back to the U.S., I’ve rejoined our NSO family membership, and I’ve relinked my NNID. Had no issue switching my account back to the U.S. even though I had ¥10 left over; it just asked me if I wanted to get rid of my balance when changing my region back. So it does indeed work going from Japan to the U.S. without issue (as long as you don’t mind losing whatever eShop balance you have), but the reverse will not work unless your eShop balance is $0.

…Now it’s my partner’s turn, lol. We’re hoping they’ll be able to transfer the admin role of the family membership to me so that they can leave and buy their own membership (really sucks that we have to pay for a month of NSO each if we don’t want to cancel auto-renewal for our family plan…) so that they can switch their account to Japan and redeem the Mother 3 icon elements themself, and then set their account back and rejoin the family membership and have the admin role transferred back to them without it resetting their active membership time from “5 months, 5 years, 21 days” back to “1 day”. I assume that if we transfer the admin role to me that that active membership time will be carried over instead of being reset, but I have no way of confirming that before trying…

Ohhh so the SMW icons are just part of a long awaited SNES NSO set like that NES one a while back. That’s kinda lame but also makes me think they’re going to be doing a lot more SNES monthly missions this year.

The current batch of Mother 3 icons is going to be the only one, right? Switching regions is simple, but it's a bit annoying since it breaks auto-renew and your NNID.

The current batch of Mother 3 icons is going to be the only one, right? Switching regions is simple, but it's a bit annoying since it breaks auto-renew and your NNID.
It should be, yeah. It’s worth it, and you can relink your Nintendo Network ID pretty easily once you switch back.

Not sure how much longer NNIDs will be a thing anyway.

I had to pay the $3.99 plus tax to buy an individual NSO membership after temporarily leaving our family membership just to get these fucking Mother 3 icon elements because apparently Nintendo doesn’t allow you to redeem icon elements on a free trial of NSO, so I payed actual money for these things.
Okay, so I only realized after the fact that there was, in fact, no reason at all for me to have to buy another NSO membership, because I could have just…rejoined our family plan after changing my region, then leave to change my region back and rejoin again after that. Dunno what I was thinking, lol, but whatever, I guess Nintendo gets $4 from me for Mother 3 icons. I’ll pretend it was to further voice my desire to see Mother 3 officially localized or something—sure, let’s go with that. >.> lol

So I guess these reruns won't be permanent after all, sucks.

Putting Mario Kart in there reminds me that they never actually finished making icon parts for every course / cup lol. I guess that's probably not happening...

EDIT: Wait, checking the app for myself, i'm not sure what the tweet is even talking about. It only says the icons will cycle every Tuesday; don't see anything about a deadline for the games being removed either.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom