• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

NSO NSO Missions and Rewards

mazi

picross pundit
Have you checked out the Nintendo Switch Online* section on your Nintendo Switch system lately? With the recent update, you can now earn My Nintendo™ Platinum Points** by using the Nintendo Switch Online service. You can then redeem your Platinum Points for exclusive rewards, including icon elements you can use to create a new look for your user icon!

Visit the new Missions & Rewards section of the Nintendo Switch Online app on your Nintendo Switch System. You’ll find a list of missions you can complete simply by doing things you’re probably already doing with your Nintendo Switch Online membership, like playing online or trying out the library of classic games. Sound easy? It is!

After you’ve completed one of these missions, just head back to the Nintendo Switch Online app to collect your Platinum Points, which you can redeem for digital wallpapers, physical items from the My Nintendo Store, and new member-exclusive icon elements you can collect and put together to create a new user icon.

One of the new features in the latest update for the Nintendo Switch Online app is the ability to redeem Platinum Points for elements for your user icon. You can get frames, characters, or background elements to create your own user icon that can be seen by other Nintendo Switch players when you’re online. Each month will have a different theme and icon elements will be refreshed each week, so be sure to check the Nintendo Switch Online app on your Nintendo Switch system so you don’t miss any!

m_g01_header_en1nke3.jpg

Last edited:
So excited for this! Weekly missions and achievements and new icons!

Mission feature seems like it'll be a nice engagement element for the achievement oriented personalities!

Personally more interested in being able to customize icons to easily distinguish between multiple accounts, so that much will absolutely be welcome. Definitely will be excited to see more of the Zelda and Splatoon elements hinted in the example screenshots.

Wow! Hold on - this is hype. So, how exactly does this work? Like, there is Achievements you get for fulfilling certain tasks in games and then you’re given Coins? And you can use those to buy new Profile Pictures?

So, the only mission completed is:
- Use the Nintendo online app once a week
then I:
  • played tetris online
  • used cloud backup (automatically, but three backups were made)
  • played super mario bros

and nothing.

Whatever, 5 minutes thing in total, i'll wait for later. For now, grabbed all the icons

Wow! Hold on - this is hype. So, how exactly does this work? Like, there is Achievements you get for fulfilling certain tasks in games and then you’re given Coins? And you can use those to buy new Profile Pictures?
basically yeah. the tasks (at least for now) aren't about doing certain tasks in certain games tho, more like playing a specific NES/SNES/etc game, doing a cloud backup, playing online, etc.

I think it will only check for missions once a day and it won't be something that pops up instantly or they're just having issues.

I made a video showing off the Missions and Rewards and going over them all. I don't know if it is okay to share it here..so if it isn't I'll remove it.

Yes Yes Yes. It seems my idea of "plazaverse" way of mission and reward to give us icons or things is actually happening even though not on the scale/scope that i dream of yet lol.

Great way of Nintendo to add some sort of incentive to players.

But I've been asking for some sort of achievement rewards from Nintendo for years now.

They need to expand this idea and make missions/goals in games too.

• Beat Super Mario 1 in 25 minutes? You get an exclusive icon
  • Beat Ganon in BotW without the help of the guardians? You get a background theme for your Switch

There's so much they can do with this.

But I've been asking for some sort of achievement rewards from Nintendo for years now.

• Beat Ganon in BotW without the help of the guardians? You get a background theme for your Switch

I'm sure they will. I feel that this is the starting point of their achievement system.

It's confirmed. Got 20 Pt points for opening the NSO app.

I am sceptical about system level achievement systems. The attempts by others to extol the virtues of achievements on other systems just sound like an exercise in addiction baiting to me.

So far, this doesn't seem to be that.
  1. Most important thing is the missions are very basic and general and are not pushing you to do tedious things in specific games. The closest to something game specific is playing Super Mario Bros and that's just to play it.
  2. Rather than a social cred score, the reward is currency, which expires and can be spent on neat things, which is less likely to exploit the compulsion to "watch numbers go up".
  3. The missions cycle and are few in number so the compulsion to complete can only have a limited effect on behaviour.
Of course, we'll see how this develops.

But it's still neat that more value is being added for NSO. With platinum points you can buy actual stuff. Between this and the EP improvements, NSO could end up being quite appreciated. And I hear the online itself is improving overall incrementally as newer game do it better?

The thing I think they should really add is bonus gold points. That would really get the complainers to take notice. This would allow NSO to pay for itself (assuming you spend like $1000 on the eShop).

Ei, that's kinda neat I guess.

Currently the missions are busted but that's probably going to be fixed in the next few hours.

There are server problems right now, so things may not be going through as speedily as they otherwise should.

So, uh...

When will we get Soundtrack CDs as a reward again?

Never. That's the catch with rewards not being tied to game purchases for a currency, and instead being these platinum points that are rewards for "engagement" with services. The budget for rewards is naturally much, much lower and everything has to be worthless easily mass produced tat.

I'm sure they will. I feel that this is the starting point of their achievement system.

Nah, I'm pretty sure they won't take it in that direction at all. In the same way they have been for their mobile titles which have had these rewards for years, These "achievements" will all be lowest common denominator stuff that requires very minimal effort, they're certainly not going to start tying difficult challenges like those suggested that require pretty high mastery of the game to do.

All the missions unlocked on my end now. You don't have to manually do a cloud save.

I hope they never, ever create "git gud rewards".

basically yeah. the tasks (at least for now) aren't about doing certain tasks in certain games tho, more like playing a specific NES/SNES/etc game, doing a cloud backup, playing online, etc.
IF Nintendo would provide in-game missions, I'm pretty sure they will be pretty reasonable.

I would actually love something like "beat levels in one of the retro games", with the gam e changing every week.
It would actually get me motivated to progress in them - as opposed to opening up the game and then closing it-, along with getting people to join in and talk about that game for the week.

I wonder if it the current emulation software they use actually has the ability to track what you have done in games though...

I played Mario Kart 8 online last night, would that still count or would I need to play it again today?

Also, the save data one, should I automatically get that as the system backs up saves itself doesn’t it?

Reminds me very much of Badge Arcade! A shame you can't mix and match elements, but I'm not particularly surprised. I'm more happy to have more ways to get Plat points now since I tend to blow through them like crazy!

If they ever did Folders, these would be a good way to mark em....just saying...

This is a nice idea! I've had so many points expirce since I had nothing to spend them on.

I really hope they'll add themes on Switch as redeemable products too!

I liked getting the DS themes the points haha.

I wonder if it the current emulation software they use actually has the ability to track what you have done in games though...
If they updated the apps it could do this very easily.

The SNES Classic tracked if you had beaten the first stage in Star Fox (to unlock Star Fox 2), and it seems that at some point they planned to expand on that sort of feature. When the SNES NSO app launched it actually had specific progress fields it was tracking in some game (stuff like 'Rupees' and 'DoneIcePalace' in ALttP, 'Path' for Star Fox and 'CupPoints', 'Coins' and 'FinalTime' for Super Mario Kart; as examples), but these were patched out.

Missions are also busted for me, unless Smash online doesn’t count for whatever reason

These are neat but ever since Switch Sports was announced I've made a commitment to sticking with my Mii icon to keep the dream alive.

Quoted by: Tye
All my missions registered now (Still need to play a NSO compatible game though)

I like this, it reminds me to the Game Pass Ultimate missions. They reward you for doing mundane things and push you to play certain games.

This shouldn't be compared to achievements, by the way, this is system wide and basically a way to promote their games and systems, i'm going to guess that, in fact, that's why these are NSO exclusive.

I hope they add more than just avatars as a prize though.

A nice idea but it's a bit limiting that you can't mix and match, and none of it works with the current avatar selection. Apart from being a sink to pour your platinum coins into I'm kind of wondering what the point of it is.

Unlocked everything and still have over 1200 coins left, so this will be a fun one down the line. Wonder if they'll expand this to themes later on. Also explains why users who hacked their Switch were able to upload custom pictures for their profile, it's been a long time coming.

So, uh...

When will we get Soundtrack CDs as a reward again?
Gotta make the Limited Editions more valuable somehow!

The missions still don't work on my end but I like the new avatars options and I now have a nice Peach avatar in her Odyssey outfit, which I like very much ! The whole thing is great

Neat, I like the featured game achievement. Hopefully they use it to shine light on games that need attention (it'd be neat if there was one featured game per platform).

Back
Top Bottom