• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack |ST| New 2024 Poll Up

How will Nintendo handle the NSO with the launch of the Switch 2

• Everything on the service becomes playable on launch day of the new system.

Votes: 139 76.4%
  • A slow roll out with a promise to move everything over within 12 months from launch day

Votes: 24 13.2%
  • LOL Nintendo is going to start all over with just NES games in late 2025

Votes: 17 9.3%
  • Nothing will transfer over because the Switch 2 won't be backwards compatible with the Switch 1

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

So this was clearly overshadowed by the sudden Xenoblade announcement and some other shit (but more likely to have been forgotten or overlooked), but we have another NSO update. For the Genesis.

Unfortunate that it seems like GBA will be skipped for this month 😞

I rolled credits on the original pokemon snap. Its just as fun now as it was when I was a kid and would rent it. Maybe i should check out the new one? Anyway now im currently half way through the minish cap

They really are gonna alternate GBA and N64 releases monthly to stretch it out.

For fuck's sake.
I think it might depend on when the Expansion pass gets Mega Drive or DLC, too. March had GBA plus a Mario Kart wave for EP subs, and April had N64 plus Mega Drive games. So they might be alternating between a couple of updates per month. For example, May might be N64 plus GBA, then June would be GBA plus Mario Kart DLC.

I think it might depend on when the Expansion pass gets Mega Drive or DLC, too. March had GBA plus a Mario Kart wave for EP subs, and April had N64 plus Mega Drive games. So they might be alternating between a couple of updates per month. For example, May might be N64 plus GBA, then June would be GBA plus Mario Kart DLC.

It’s pretty much a lock imo that sega is doing their own pace for genesis: so I unfortunately expect the GBA agonizing drip feed to continue

It’s pretty much a lock imo that sega is doing their own pace for genesis: so I unfortunately expect the GBA agonizing drip feed to continue
I'm not saying I expect Mega Drive more frequently; just that the Expansion Pass might get two sets of content a month, like so:

March - GBA plus Mario Kart DLC
April - N64 plus Mega Drive
May - GBA plus N64
June - GBA plus Mario Kart DLC
July - N64 plus GBA
August - GBA plus Mega Drive

And so on. That way Nintendo can still stagger out their N64 releases while slightly increasing the monthly content that EP subscribers get. Not saying I think it's especially likely - I suspected the alternating strategy would happen before GBA was even announced - but we've only a small data sample (the last 3 months) to know what Nintendo's approach will be now GBA is in the mix.

I'm just so sick of this dripfeed, and adding this inconsistency into the mix because christforbid they actually have a roadmap of when to expect releases and we're left having to parse non-existent patterns is aggravating

Nah there's gonna be a Raresplosion at not-e3 trust me

DK Tooie Diddy in announced June for July and August

Also announced for October onward is NSO Mature with Goldeneye (In Japan) Perfect Dark Conker

<-coping

I previously had only 1 game a month as my pessimistic prediction for how often they will add GBA games because they had nearly 2 dozen first party GBA games not yet released on NSO and that's NOT including the Pokemon GBA games. The fact that they couldn't even achieve 1 game a month is just pathetic especially when everyone knows they have been sitting on this for 3+ years. It also has some concerning implications for the switch successor release date that their plan is to stretch the GBA drip feed so thin that it will take 2 full years to finish releasing all their first party GBA games for NSO.

Last edited:
I previously had only 1 game a month as my pessimistic prediction for how often they will add GBA games because they had nearly 2 dozen first party GBA games not yet released on NSO and that's NOT including the Pokemon GBA games. The fact that they couldn't even achieve 1 game a month is just pathetic especially when everyone knows they have been sitting on this for 3+ years. It also has some concerning implications for the switch successor release date that their plan is to stretch the GBA drip feed so thin that it will take 2 full years to finish releasing all their first party GBA games for NSO.
I mean I'm 99% sure NSO is gonna carry over so I don't think it means much, if anything it may bode well cause I can't see the succesor launching with a new system so they use these to pad at first. GCN is always this anomaly, like I still feel they could sell HD uprez of some GCN games and make decent money, idk. And Wii U Wii VC was because of it being natively supported, admittedly Nividia stuff supports wii in china so maybe but idk, if so it wont just be "Switch 2 only" (what I'm expecting if we do get GCN) but like a 70 dollar tier. Honestly if it wasn't for... the obvious, I'd say DS should be where they look towards, but y'know... so I'm expecting GBA to last into the first few years of a successor

I have a bad feeling that we are going to go through the month of May without any updates for the NSO. We know what is coming next week, and Nintendo will be marketing that game to death (for good reason). I feel like any NSO updates for the next 2~3 weeks will be overshadowed.

Hope I am wrong.

Any NSO update would be GB and GBA. They seem to be alternating between N64 and GBA and we got N64 last month. Genesis is out of the consideration considering we got that awesome update with Flicky which was my mother's favorite game (RIP). I doubt we'd get NES or SNES updates since they seem to be running out of releases for that. I have faith we'll get some GB at the very least this month might just be the last week or something.

I rolled credits on the original pokemon snap. Its just as fun now as it was when I was a kid and would rent it. Maybe i should check out the new one? Anyway now im currently half way through the minish cap
Never played it back in the day but started playing with my son. Was pretty fun game to play together.

The newest Super Mario-kun compilation book includes a reprint of the Super Mario RPG adaptation; which is notable beyond the obvious SE collaboration required, since even in manga form there's a bit of a history to it not being rereleased: the story was not only cut short, but skipped over entirely in the initial volume releases in favor of giving full spotlight to the Super Mario 64 adaptation.

So if they could work out something to reprint these chapters again... where's the NSO release Nintendo.

Man, are we really going to end up skipping May ? D: 😞
"Go buy/play Zelda" - Nintendo, probably

Seriously though, there's still enough time for them to announce something for N64 or GBA with the usual week-ish time between announcement and release. I wouldn't rule May out just yet.

The drip feed is still this bad, good lord. I'm definitely excited to wait until June because Zedla is May for one more GBA game, and hey they can even reuse Pokemon Stadium 2, Excitebike 64, and Mario Party 3 in another highlight reel if we get a new Direct before the N64 updates :p

Maybe a lot of remaining things will be grouped. I could see a kid-friendly Rare package for example, prob revealed in a direct (Tooie, DK64, DKR)

Though maybe more spaced out since N64 has basically just Rare left
(But I do think Conker and PD may come since rating system for Goldeneye in Japan)

Kind of crazy there are three games coming out at once. Where is My Kirby and the Amazing Mirror?
Seems that future nso drops are going back to being random, there's no set pattern anymore.

I'd love for them to drop all 3 of the gba FEs in one go, supposedly there was some leak pointing towards binding blade maybe being localized? It was posted here on Fami, wish I could remember where it was.

Seems that future nso drops are going back to being random, there's no set pattern anymore.

I'd love for them to drop all 3 of the gba FEs in one go, supposedly there was some leak pointing towards binding blade maybe being localized? It was posted here on Fami, wish I could remember where it was.

Newest update to the graphic - May looks to be the first month since January to only get one update (although at least it has multiple games), but given TOTK's release I don't think that's neccesarily a big issue. We are still on a roughly a game a week average for NSO for the year, which is far better still than the game every two-three weeks schedule we were on in late 2022:
TBgbrAU.png

Newest update to the graphic - May looks to be the first month since January to only get one update (although at least it has multiple games), but given TOTK's release I don't think that's neccesarily a big issue. We are still on a roughly a game a week average for NSO for the year, which is far better still than the game every two-three weeks schedule we were on in late 2022:
TBgbrAU.png

Does ToTK being out really mean anything to NSO though? Like it doesn't contribute to the online service's value AT ALL even if Nintendo's having a fantastic month because of Zelda and people are playing a lot of it. But NSO itself isn't really getting any additional value, and to me at least it feels like such a missed opportunity to have Oracle of Ages and Seasons come out for people to also indulge in if they wish as part of a bigger push.

Also, does it really make sense to push the Tetris 99 events as NSO content? Just kind of wondering why they're in the graphic I guess.

Does ToTK being out really mean anything to NSO though? Like it doesn't contribute to the online service's value AT ALL even if Nintendo's having a fantastic month because of Zelda and people are playing a lot of it. But NSO itself isn't really getting any additional value, and to me at least it feels like such a missed opportunity to have Oracle of Ages and Seasons come out for people to also indulge in if they wish as part of a bigger push.

Also, does it really make sense to push the Tetris 99 events as NSO content? Just kind of wondering why they're in the graphic I guess.
TOTK isn't NSO content, but given how much Zelda is sucking all of the air out of the room for anything else - I don't think a slightly smaller than average month of NSO is necessarily a bad thing. The fact that the NSO drop this month is a bunch of second versions of games already playable through other means (sometimes multiple other means in the case of Super Mario USA/SMA1) is also the kind of thing that wasn't really going to be a big get anyways, so putting it in the month where anything Nintendo related that wasn't TOTK was gonna get overshadowed seems apt.

As for Tetris 99, it was originally exclusive to NSO - and even after the physical version released, most of the actual game is still locked behind an NSO subscription. And the new content drops for Tetris 99 in particular are locked behind NSO still, because the Maximus Cups require you to play online to get the skins. And, to further cement this - on the NSO page on the eShop, Tetris 99 and Pac-Man 99 are both listed under the label "Content for Members only".

So to me, that combination of factors is plenty enough reason to include Tetris 99, Pac-Man 99 and back in the day, Super Mario Bros. 35 - the only reason the other "Content for Members only" stuff like ACNH, SSBU and Super Kirby Clash content isn't on here is because it's really hard to track how many waves of stuff there was, and they're all just in-game consumable items which feels less worthy of being mentioned.

I just want Shatterhand, Diddy Kong Racing, Mario RPG, Metroid Zero Mission and DK'94 then I will be at peace with the universe.

With no retail launch in June, I think there is an outside chance that we get a decent sized update in June. I'm thinking...

-GB update with the Zelda Oracle games
-N64 update with Mario Party 3 or Excitebike
-NES/SNES update (Ok, here me out. Direct announcement with Super Mario RPG)
-Genesis update- Probably not since we got one last month, but we did get one last June.

With no retail launch in June, I think there is an outside chance that we get a decent sized update in June. I'm thinking...

-GB update with the Zelda Oracle games
-N64 update with Mario Party 3 or Excitebike
-NES/SNES update (Ok, here me out. Direct announcement with Super Mario RPG)
-Genesis update- Probably not since we got one last month, but we did get one last June.
GB/NES/SNES seems likely, as they're the one that'll have gone the longest without an update - and based on last time, they seem to be grouped together for releases. Oracles seem wise due to Zelda proximity, NES/SNES to me is just gonna be more Jaleco/Data East titles (like BurgerTime or Sengoku) or maybe another Namco title like last time.

N64 seems likely too given that we are (unfortunately) seeming to alternate Nintendo consoles per month on NSO=. The ideal situation to me would be getting Mario Party 3 and Pokémon Stadium 2 together so that we can escape the sequel purgatory on N64 and finally be able to look forwards to more unique experiences again.

GBA is defo not happening in June, and Genesis I'm iffy on because they've mostly stuck to a quarterly drop for that - but last time was a month late, so this one could be June to return to the pre-established pattern. As usual whatever the next Genesis drop is it will be a couple of Sega first party titles, with the odd third party thrown in. The actual titles are anyone's guess cause the Genesis library is for now still basically bottomless.

Last edited:

I've seen too many adverse reactions to this release.

I've played all main Super Mario games and never thought these were as bad as people say. SMA is more of a tech demo and does some weird stuff with the camera, but from there on they're all solid ports aside of some soundfont fuckery derived from the GBA not having a dedicated sound chip.

I bought them all back in the day while still having a SNES with the whole series, and never felt they were inferior versions, in fact i would argue that SMA4 looks way cleaner thanks to getting rid of the HUD.

I bought them all back in the day while still having a SNES with the whole series, and never felt they were inferior versions, in fact i would argue that SMA4 looks way cleaner thanks to getting rid of the HUD.
Tbf, SMA4 is the one I feel is regarded as "the good one" of the bunch, especially with the Wii U VC/NSO rereleases having the eReader bonus content patched in for all regions.

Taking bets. Are we getting an N64 update tonight?
Not if we have a direct coming next week, so they can announce Banjo-Tooie and DK64
Yeah, my thought process is only if it's a release already teased from the 2023 roadmap. Pokemon Stadium 2, Mario Party 3, 1080 Snowboarding, or ExciteBike 64. Most likely scenario so yeah I'm throwing my money down on an update tonight or tomorrow night.

But if it's part of the Direct, must be some kind of blockbuster to earn the headlines. DK64, Diddy Kong Racing, Conker's Bad Fur Day (with new NSO parenting ratings update to filter out games based on age rating for users under parental controls app), Banjo Tooie, or Super Smash Bros would all be welcome additions.

So what you are saying is, a 1080 Snowboarding announcement tonight will kill all direct hopes for the month of June?

You heard it here first folks!
Works for me. I still have enough to play and actually prefer the Twitter/YouTube format for announcements in most cases.

Back
Top Bottom