• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Sales Data Nintendo Switch has now outsold the PS4 in the US

I mean, DMC5 May not be able to run nor the new seat COD… but where the fuck is The Sims at least? My wife would be all over that so hard.
It’s probably a CPU limitation for that tbh….

And bandwidth too

But most notably the CPU is probably limiting it.

It really is mind blowing. Third parties are dumb.
I completely agree with this which is why I personally am not supporting third parties anymore financially. I don't have anything against them or people that support them but from now on if a game is not made from Nintendo themselves then I am not buying it

That's rather shortsighted; if a third party releases a game I'd love to play on Switch I'm there.

Thing is, some third parties are just not interested in the Switch (or any Nintendo eco system) due to their own business model and how it clashes with Nintendo. Bummer, but it is what it is.

I completely agree with this which is why I personally am not supporting third parties anymore financially. I don't have anything against them or people that support them but from now on if a game is not made from Nintendo themselves then I am not buying it
What? No, don't do that. You really miss out.

What? No, don't do that. You really miss out.
Well the post down below says it all ⬇

That's rather shortsighted; if a third party releases a game I'd love to play on Switch I'm there.

Thing is, some third parties are just not interested in the Switch (or any Nintendo eco system) due to their own business model and how it clashes with Nintendo. Bummer, but it is what it is.
It's been this way ever since 1996 with various degrees of low to okay support by 3rd parties throughout the decades. 3rd parties are so inconsistent with their support on Nintendo systems but that's okay because Nintendo 1st party games are my favorite type of games. I could care less about 3rd parties personally.

Well deserved; it's an amazing system that has earned its success.

Regarding it's third party support, I feel so divided on this.
On the one hand, yeah, a lot of third parties are being shortsighted by not bringing more of their games to such a massive and thriving userbase; at this point there have been many, many examples demonstrating that third party games can sell great on Switch.

On the other hand though, the Switch's third party catalog has vastly exceeded my expectations at the time of its release; 5 years ago I never dreamed we'd get to play the likes of Witcher 3, modern Doom, Hellblade, Ori, etc on it.

So while there is definitely room for improvement, I can say for my tastes at least the Switch's third party support is already the best for a Nintendo system since the SNES, and there is still time for it to continue to grow. :)

There are four big reasons for the third party situation on Switch:
  • Devs prioritizing ease of development over game sales
  • Stupid and ignorant executives/sales and marketing teams
  • Platform loyalty
  • Past grudges

EA checks all four of those boxes. Devs refuse to be limited by a weaker hardware (like DICE), many people there see Nintendo as children's platform, grudges over Wii U game sales and of course, they want to bribed well enough. Sadly, it's up to Nintendo to correct these wrongs. Their efforts on Switch had been much bigger than Wii U and 3DS but still falls a little short. Nintendo has converted likes of 2K and Bethesda into Nintendo fans but even more effort is needed for someone like EA. Even for the older, easy to port titles. If you want a healthy third party support on your platform, you need healthy communication with them going.
On the first point: ease of development has a direct impact on profits from sales. If it's easier and quicker to develop then you need fewer sales to turn a profit. They aren't separate - cost of development determines your pricing and sales targets.

Back
Top Bottom