• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • ❄️We captured the snow storm in a bottle!❄️

You can enable the snow via the button on the bottom left. If you'd like to remove the button, go to your preferences and enable the Hide snow button. Make sure you disable the snow first.

• Is the Video Game Industry DOOMED? WestEgg, Irene, and VolcanicDynamo discuss in the newest episode of the Famibords Discussion Club! Check it out here!

StarTopic Nintendo Switch 2 Speculation Thread |ST| The Future is Probably a Year From Now

When is the Switch 2 getting revealed? (See threadmark before voting)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I can’t wait for this system to come out with backwards compatibility so we can finally shut down that discourse for good.
Then people will doom about Switch 3 not going to be able to play Switch games since Nintendo never had BC across more than 2 generations.

Last edited:
I wonder which studio will be this gen's (pre-buyout) Bethesda; as in, which studio will go from "Nintendo? Meh... whatever." to "If it can run on Nintendo's console, we want it on Nintendo's console". FromSoft would be nice.
On the publisher side, I wonder if EA will be more willing to put more games on the platform. Give me a true Madden and none of that legacy crap.

honestly, I been keeping my mouth shut about it because most of his leaks are for a system not even announced yet but if the " Switch games can be enhanced through backwards compatibility" turns out not true, Neroclips as a leaker should be discredited
The report about enchancements comes from Brazil, not Necro

I think the fact that it's probably BC will mean the early support of third parties will be better since there'll be a whole lot of Switch games coming that they'll just change to "Switch/Switch 2".

And I think some first party games will as well. Wouldn't be surprised if 3D Mario as the launch title is the only first party exclusive until early 2025 when Mario Kart drops. Switch/cross gen games like Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong, Mario Party and Pokémon will already be a stellar first 6 months lineup.

Will there be a whole lot of third party games coming to Switch which are also worthy of Switch 2?

I think we’ll see a lot of PS4 ports early on for Switch 2 which don’t come to Switch natively - if at all.

A lot of third parties just don’t want the hassle that down porting games to Switch 1 on the level of Witcher 3 and Doom brings.

Regarding the Universo Nintendo report:

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but I'm not sure what is meant by this. What does "study improvements for current titles" entail in the specific context of BC being available? This does not read to me like "they can create patches to enhance visuals", but perhaps that is what is meant here regardless? Edit: What I mean is, patches are not the same as BC, and in principle you are creating a bespoke compatible version with a patch, not adjusting native Switch 1 code to recognise the Switch 2 as a profile and adjust settings based on that I think.

Or perhaps it is something like creating quick and dirty patches that raise maximum resolutions in dynamic resolution or unlock frame rates so that Switch 2 can boost them to their max potential?

What do you all think?
He just saying developers can patch the games like capcom did with RE2 remake.

I am from Brazil and that’s what’s he’s saying. The real source is the poster Brazil from resetera.

I don't think we need to be unecessarily negative with regards to specific leaks, such as BC.

Based on what Nintendo management has said with respect to how they plan to use Nintendo Accounts, it does sound like the idea is to use it to keep people in their ecosystem for longer , even lapsed users. The only way that works is if there is BC.

I do personally believe there will be BC, and while there are nuances to how BC may be implemented, it's essentially a binary propostion. Either BC happens or it doesn't, so anyone randomly guessing already has 50% chance of getting it right.

On the publisher side, I wonder if EA will be more willing to put more games on the platform. Give me a true Madden and none of that legacy crap.
I want to believe that EA stopping the Legacy Edition nonsense on EAFC so late in the Switch's life was them getting some groundwork ready for more proper support on Switch 2. They certainly have plenty of titles in their catalog that could resonate really well with the Nintendo audience, even if sometimes EA seems hellbent to believe otherwise.

It would make for a cute Switch 2 commercial, tbh. Tourist guy is visiting some ancient temple, sits down to rest a bit, pulls out the Switch 2 and starts exploring an ancient temple in-game.
Now we know what third party game Nintendo‘ll use for marketing: Indiana Jones

Alright Phil Spencer at the Switch 2 presentation dressed up like Indiana Jones
Trailer shows Phil(dressed as Indy) walking up to an altar with an XSS is his hands. On the altar sits a Switch 2. He quickly exchanges them out, ala Raiders, and fires up the game on Switch 2.

Alright Phil Spencer at the Switch 2 presentation dressed up like Indiana Jones
"Today, I'm here to announce that from now on, all our games will come to Switch 2. Why? Because...

(produces Xbox Series X out of thin air)

... this belongs in a museum!"

Regarding the Universo Nintendo report:

Maybe I'm not reading this correctly, but I'm not sure what is meant by this. What does "study improvements for current titles" entail in the specific context of BC being available? This does not read to me like "they can create patches to enhance visuals", but perhaps that is what is meant here regardless? Edit: What I mean is, patches are not the same as BC, and in principle you are creating a bespoke compatible version with a patch, not adjusting native Switch 1 code to recognise the Switch 2 as a profile and adjust settings based on that I think.

Or perhaps it is something like creating quick and dirty patches that raise maximum resolutions in dynamic resolution or unlock frame rates so that Switch 2 can boost them to their max potential?

What do you all think?
I’m seeing some confusion here due to how that report (that wasn’t written by me) is what reached the anglosphere (and mostly through machine translations), so let me clarify:

The main info I was talking about in the podcast is the existence of physical and digital backwards compatibility.

I have no details regarding any kind of automatic upscaling or whatever it is that people want out of the hardware in that sense. What I did mention in the podcast is that I’ve heard from multiple sources (three, in this case) about updating games within the backwards compatibility structure for better performance in the new hardware.

That doesn’t mean all games will be updated, but it also doesn’t mean that there won’t be some kind of automatic upgrade solution at a hardware level. I naturally don’t have all the details.

Hope that clears things up!

Edit: In fact, and I hope linking like this is ok, I’d like to point any Portuguese-speakers to the podcast itself. It’s a good time! You’ll find links here: https://www.twitter.com/xdocontrole

I’m seeing some confusion here due to how that report (that wasn’t written by me) is what reached the anglosphere (and mostly through machine translations), so let me clarify:

The main info I was talking about in the podcast is the existence of physical and digital backwards compatibility.

I have no details regarding any kind of automatic upscaling or whatever it is that people want out of the hardware in that sense. What I did mention in the podcast is that I’ve heard from multiple sources (three, in this case) about updating games within the backwards compatibility structure for better performance in the new hardware.

That doesn’t mean all games will be updated, but it also doesn’t mean that there won’t be some kind of automatic upgrade solution at a hardware level. I naturally don’t have all the details.

Edit: In fact, and I hope linking like this is ok, I’d like to point any Portuguese-speakers to the podcast itself. It’s a good time! You’ll find links here: https://www.twitter.com/xdocontrole
Thanks, appreciate it for coming here to add context/clarifications!

If I'm reading this right, that would mean there are devs out there already (or just considering) working on Switch 2 patch for better performance - the fact that you hear from 3 of them already, I hope that means quite a number of games might be getting such treatment eventually.

Of course I also hope there's a default automatic BC layer for running Switch 1 games on Switch 2.

Thank you for clarifying, that helps to make clear what was and wasn't reported!

Regarding the form BC takes: as always, multiple things can be true. There can be an automatic upgrade that maxes out dynamic resolutions and frame rates simply due to higher horsepower of the Switch 2, and also devs can probably make simple power profiles with higher resolution and/or frame rate targets (e.g. Witcher 3 getting a profile with a higher maximum resolution than 540p), which does not constitute a next gen patch per se but does represent a profile that allows BC to make the game look better that way.

If games do get performance patches, it will be interesting to see which titles get them. The Zelda and Xenoblade games seem like obvious ones. Not sure about Mario Odyssey since it already runs at 60 fps. Maybe it will get a resolution boost.

For third party stuff, I can see Monster Hunter Rise, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Collection, getting the treatment. It really comes down to if a company sees value in going back and making a patch. I feel the older a game is, the less likely.

If games do get performance patches, it will be interesting to see which titles get them. The Zelda and Xenoblade games seem like obvious ones. Not sure about Mario Odyssey since it already runs at 60 fps. Maybe it will get a resolution boost.

For third party stuff, I can see Monster Hunter Rise, The Witcher 3, Batman Arkham Collection, getting the treatment. It really comes down to if a company sees value in going back and making a patch. I feel the older a game is, the less likely.
There’s also the possibility that switch 1 games played on Switch 2 (docked or undocked) could always run on docked mode, would be a huge upgrade for a lot of games, especially if the 1080p screen rumors are true.

There’s also the possibility that switch 1 games played on Switch 2 (docked or undocked) could always run on docked mode, would be a huge upgrade for a lot of games, especially if the 1080p screen rumors are true.
Too many problems with that, i think Switch 1 BC will be 1 to 1, so if you play in portable mode, it will emulate Switch 1 portable , if docked, it will run docked.

Devs may push out patches to update those games to take advantage of Switch 2's power but that's a separate issue.

What I did mention in the podcast is that I’ve heard from multiple sources (three, in this case) about updating games within the backwards compatibility structure for better performance in the new hardware.
Could you a be bit more specific on this? By better performance do you mean just maxing out the resolutions and framerates the games had on the Switch 1 or actually targeting new higher resolutions and framerates on Switch 2?

Not sure about Mario Odyssey since it already runs at 60 fps
Odyssey runs at 900p 60fps, but resolution constantly drops to 810p and in some occasions even 720p. It would be nice if on the Switch 2 it hit at least a constant 1440p.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like Switch 1 miracle ports(Witcher 3, Doom, etc…) could receive performance boosts that would put them neck and neck with(or at least close to) the PS4/XBO versions. If the developers choose to do so, of course…

Could you a be bit more specific on this? By better performance do you mean just maxing out the resolutions and framerates the games had on the Switch 1 or actually targeting new higher resolutions and framerates on Switch 2?
Think PS5 versions of old PS4 games. Not in how they’re packaged and sold in the digital store, but what these updates actually entail. I have no reason to believe theses companies are planning to update their games but would somehow be constrained by their original Switch 1 code.

I have no idea about supported resolutions, screen details of the actual hardware and whatnot, though, and don’t really have much interest in that.

Aside from the general cleaning-up a Switch 2 would do with the performance of games like Link's Awakening, Neon White and Quake Remastered, I really hope Doom 2016 and Eternal specifically get 60FPS patches...

Also, BotW at 4K with some kind of TAA or DLSS/DLAA and pushed out LODs would make me cry - but that's perhaps a long shot with the amount of work that'd take. That demo at GamesCom might not've been intended for release.

Think PS5 versions of old PS4 games. Not in how they’re packaged and sold in the digital store, but what these updates actually entail. I have no reason to believe theses companies are planning to update their games but would somehow be constrained by their original Switch 1 code.
Thank you, a PS5-PS4 situation is exactly what I expected.
Many PS4 games went from 1080p 30fps to 4k 60fps or 1440p 60fps with those patches, hopefully the same will happen with most Switch 1 games.

Thank you, a PS5-PS4 situation is exactly what I expected.
Many PS4 games went from 1080p 30fps to 4k 60fps or 1440p 60fps with those patches, hopefully the same will happen with most Switch 1 games.
Thraktor did a good write up on BC expectations a little bit ago.
Probably best to keep expectations in check because a lot of boosts the PS5 and Series X sees is thanks to the PS4 Pro / Xbone X and upgrading clock speeds rather than the GPU size like the Switch 2 will. Games won't see much of a boost unless they're patched to run with all the bells and whistles the Switch 2 uses.

I have no idea about supported resolutions, screen details of the actual hardware and whatnot, though, and don’t really have much interest in that.
I imagine that even so, games that do not receive specific patches would be better by brute force. That is, without fps drops or if they have dynamic resolution, with the maximum possible. As happens on PS5 and Series.

Thraktor did a good write up on BC expectations a little bit ago.
Probably best to keep expectations in check because a lot of boosts the PS5 and Series X sees is thanks to the PS4 Pro / Xbone X and upgrading clock speeds rather than the GPU size like the Switch 2 will. Games won't see much of a boost unless they're patched to run with all the bells and whistles the Switch 2 uses.
Yeah I saw it but he's saying all that under the assumption that Nintendo won't patch their games, while I expect Nintendo to patch nearly all their games (at least the major ones) to takes advantage of the Switch 2 power. The only improvements I expect are of course only higher resolution and framerates, but I still expect them.
I also heavily disagree with the whole disabling CPU cores and SMs, I don't think they are going to do that. Lic explained it better than I ever could but games aren't bound by the number of CPU cores or SMs.

Wouldn't it be cool if the dock was streamable in which you can play games with the dual screen like the wii-u, ds and 3ds.
kinda like this.

I think it would make for a pretty cool gimmick

GFHujQWXUAAe8qC

Wouldn't it be cool if the dock was streamable in which you can play games with the dual screen like the wii-u, ds and 3ds.
kinda like this.

GFHujQWXUAAe8qC

“the Children yearn for the Wii U”

No but for real, I would love some form of this from the Switch 2 but I don’t think I want to stream to the dock, let alone think it’s likely.

I think achieving this with 2 switches and a “download play” type of app would be a better solution, Switch 2 in the dock and a Switch 1, Switch Lite, or another Switch 2 in your hands.

That way I know the game I’m playing on TV is a full-resolution live render of the game and not a compressed video stream.

kinda like this.

GFHujQWXUAAe8qC
I think this is neato. Remember though, that it would be "handheld" mode and maybe even a bit hungrier than that with the extra display. Imagine today's equivalent of Xenoblade 2 in handheld mode, but now also running slightly worse to display extra stuff AND you need to stream it (with whatever latency to the TV screen that may entail).

The Wii U latency was usually negligible at lowish resolutions by todays standards. Of course this time it would streaming to the TV instead of the controller.

I would really like the option, personally especially for DS/3ds/Wii U/ emulation/ports and some fun gimmicks in other games though.

Air play/other video streaming settings are pretty incidental. It's not an expensive feature to implement. But QA on latency and the exact method to get it to stream well at higher resolutions might be some work

kinda like this.

GFHujQWXUAAe8qC
I'd welcome Undocked TV play and use the Switch as a second screen, but with the TV image not being 4k/60fps, but rather 1080p/30

Had this exact thought like 10 minutes ago after reading this article https://www.eurogamer.net/from-soft...still-doesnt-have-a-release-date-at-this-time

The Expansion would be super sick as a launch title for the next console. Ganondorf boss fight would probably be the coolest cameo in history just sayin...

Maybe Dehydrated Ganondorf (TotK)?

Anyhow, here's hoping for the game to launch on the new hardware, complete with the DLC.

Still think putting the Dark Souls trilogy on there would be neat. Could be a thing where Nintendo covers the extra cost of the cartridge to try to normalize the larger cartridge size.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it sounds like Switch 1 miracle ports(Witcher 3, Doom, etc…) could receive performance boosts that would put them neck and neck with(or at least close to) the PS4/XBO versions. If the developers choose to do so, of course…
ONLY if they patch it, and i could see CDPR doing it for Witcher 3.

Otherwise, the unpatched versions could conceivably run at a more stable frame rate and closer to the resolution cap.

kinda like this.

I've said it a number of times, but Nintendo could have other Switch devices usable as additional screens/controllers on the new console, which would allow compatability akin to the Wii U, (3)DS, GBA-GC connectivity.

Some examples I tend to give are the possibility for optional controls in Canvas+Rainbow Curse, or the Tingle Tuner in Wind Waker (which, for some reason they removed for a console that had the perfect functionality built in!), or Xenoblade X, or Four Swords Adventures, or a Nintendo Land that unlocks the original as well as Game & Wario when this is connected.

Third parties can certainly join in. It would have been perfect for Crystal Chronicles.

As a bonus for Nintendo, it supports their multiple-Switch-consoles in one household initiative.

Improved motion controls that can properly imitate IR pointing would be useful too. Could also be an option for Canvas + Rainbow Curse or Kid Icarus: Uprising, and would allow the inclusion of Link's Crossbow Training in Twilight Princess.

kinda like this.

GFHujQWXUAAe8qC
Aside from he fact that it would be really expensive and impractical, I don't understand people who want the second screen back.
Nintendo made no use of it on the Wii U when it was the main selling point of the console aside from Nintendo land which was a glorified tech demo, what makes you think that they would use it now.

ONLY if they patch it, and i could see CDPR doing it for Witcher 3.

Otherwise, the unpatched versions could conceivably run at a more stable frame rate and closer to the resolution cap.
I can see most company just doing the pay 10 dollars for a upgrade. Akin to the last of us part 2 remaster.

But if not i can see CDPR, Bethesda (Id software) and most first party Nintendo company giving away free upgrade.

On another note Which company do y'all think will bring most third party support on launch (betting my left nut it'll be Atlus)

Back
Top Bottom