• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo wants to ensure the transition to future generations of hardware is as smooth as possible

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
Source

However, the question of whether we will be able to just as smoothly transition from the Nintendo Switch to the next generation of hardware is a major concern for us. Based on our experiences with the Wii, Nintendo DS, and other hardware, it is very clear that one of the major obstacles is how to easily transition from one hardware to the next.

“To help alleviate this risk, we’re focusing on building long-term relationships with our customers. While we will continue launching new software on the Nintendo Switch, we will also provide services that also use Nintendo Accounts and other IP outside of gaming software. We intend for this to help build a lasting impact with our customers.”

Furukawa previously appeared to hint that some form of backwards compatibility could be utilisedfor its next game console, in order to “maintain and expand” Switch’s audience of 100 million-plus users.

I think the difference between Switch and Wii/DS is that the latter had far less engaged audiences compared to the Switch, which had a vibrant and active, healthy install base even five years in. As long as Nintendo doesn’t call a fresh reset this time around, I feel like they’ll be fine

At least it seems like he isn‘t using the famous „Nintendo Switch is in its midlife right now“ line anymore. So it is safe to assume that the console finally entered the midlife crisis.

Wait for the official English translation of the Q&A. Don't fall into the same trap that the media always does by trusting quick n' dirty unofficial translations.

There's no point in picking apart Furukawa's statements until you get an official English transcript.

Last edited:
Switch 2 with BC and first party games released also on the old one for 1 year or 2
This. For me, Switch is the go-to platform because I enjoy the mobility factor but also can enjoy on a TV without having to buy games for two systems. They are overthinking it. If I were them, the only thing I would invest in is offering free upscale patches for older games to boost resolution/framerate as a gesture of goodwill to get more users to upgrade to the new console.

As a reminder, they know they are sitting on a gold mine, and want to build on that success. Look at their previous hits in Gameboy, DS and Wii, all their successors did not hit the same high as them(GBA was still a massive success, even with it's short lifecycle).

Furukawa's comments make a lot of sense.

At least it seems like he isn‘t using the famous „Nintendo Switch is in its midlife right now“ line anymore. So it is safe to assume that the console finally entered the midlife crisis.
New nintendo Switch models "divorce", "crossfit", and "tattoo that you will regret 2 days after getting it" releasing in the holiday of 2023

omg same he’s just like me fr

E6EfLJFVgAEQ1Sy.jpg

Thanks to the Nvidia leaks, we know the Switch 2 will utilize some form of DLSS so that's sorted.

They NEED to have a great launch year lineup AND backward compatibility for the current Switch games. That way the transition will be smooth.

It makes sense to say that considering they're still projecting to sell over 20 million Switch in the 6th year of its lifespan.

Interesting Furukawa didn't mention BC as an option in this answer, but perhaps it was assumed. Then again Wii U had BC, but it was its implentation that kneecapped the system and 3DS also had BC.
BC has to be done like how Sony/MS has approached it, basically brute forced without compromising the next hardware.

That said neither Wii or DS had accounts systems so the audience was less sticky. The difficulty now is how digital content is handled. This the first time they are transitioning a userbase where maybe half their library is digital. if there is no smooth BC or account transfer it will be a mess.

I don't know if no BC is still a deal breaker for me. Just give me a great system and a good first-year line-up. Obviously I would prefer BC but it's not like I'm dipping into my old Switch games often.

the way to have a smooth transition between generations is to keep the same online systems. make sure that users' digital purchases carry over to the new machine. no more of the old "lol gotta buy all those games again IT PRINTS MONEY.GIF"

petition to call it the switch's midlife crisis if it falls significantly below projections this year

Wii to Wii U was such a mess (delayed launch for the successor, weird concept nobody asked for, wrong messaging), hearing this makes me hopeful they won't repeat the mistakes again.

Switch 2 is an upgraded Switch and the games will be for both systems for years to come. All I need out of the Switch 2 is a higher resolution and framerate in docked more, nothing more. I am fine with the "graphics" outside of resolution and fps. Switch owners don't get left behind and those looking for a new console get a huge benefit.

But dataminers told me BC is impossible :p
who said that?

Switch 2 with BC and first party games released also on the old one for 1 year or 2
just like sony did with PS4. They completely shut the PS4 production to force people buy the new hardware, but kept supporting the old one so those who couldn't get right in the launch wouldn't be left behind.

Last edited:
Using phrasing like, “…focusing on building long-term relationships with customers.” Pretty clearly implies BC will be there. They’re going with the same suppliers anyway, so I don’t really get why some ever even pushed the idea of the successor not having backwards compatibility, beyond trying to push the same FUD narrative some like to adopt that seems to plague every Nintendo console.

This is a tough crossroads for Nintendo. Previously, they were known for doing sort of iterations(NES to SNES, GB to GBC to GBA) and then they really started to change concept significantly(GBA to DS, GC to Wii, Wii U to Switch...kinda). I think if they play it safe and go iterative with BC, better specs etc. then they should be fine. However, the question is will this expand their market? I think they need more than just the same concept with better specs but that's just my opinion.

1. Clear name that either makes it as a successor(Super Switch or Switch 2), or a clear dilineation(a name that does not exist yet).

2. Backwards Compatibility.

3. More good software
This is a tough crossroads for Nintendo. Previously, they were known for doing sort of iterations(NES to SNES, GB to GBC to GBA) and then they really started to change concept significantly(GBA to DS, GC to Wii, Wii U to Switch...kinda). I think if they play it safe and go iterative with BC, better specs etc. then they should be fine. However, the question is will this expand their market? I think they need more than just the same concept with better specs but that's just my opinion.
Nintendo is kind of in the software business now. Overall first party software sales completely dominate their profits from hardware. This is the reason why Nintendo is expanding so much in their development studios.

I think they really understand that software sells hardware, it's really the software that will provide that expansion. Either with new IP's(like Splatoon) or older IPs completely blowing up(like animal crossing).

Something notable about Furukawa's answers is that he continually makes reference to "the next console", transitioning to "a new generation", etc.
This does not seem to align with the vision for a revision based drake release. Because
1) Because he is even comfortable talking about it and giving information on how they're going to handle its release, it probably isn't very far away.
2) If it is soon, there probably wont be a pro in between.
3) The language used for this device clearly delineates it as a successor and not a revision. You do not call a revision a generational transition.

Gonna go ahead and say the switch pro is not happening anymore.

according to my notes the word is that backwards compatibility is possible, just not natively. It would take a patch.
So........................... BC is possible
They could theoretically just emulate it right?
Drake appears to be at least 10x stronger than the switch, so emulating switch games doesn't seem out of the question.

Just stick with the hybrid format. Have BC, updates for old titles to have higher resolution and enhancements for the better hardware, and as much as people bitch about it, make sure at the start that first party games are cross gen.

I know Nintendo likes to experiment and innovate, but they can do that in other ways. New hardware features, new joycon features and enhancements, introduce a new accessory for the Switch like AR glasses (as opposed to VR), whatever.

But for the basics? Let it dock and undock and have my purchases carry over.

This is unnecessary.

a) this article is not confirming BC
b) you either misunderstand or are misrepresenting what dataminers have said about BC.
1. How can you have long term relationship with customers through the Nintendo account, if peoples purchases doesn't transfer to the next device?

2. Here's the quote: "Completely unsubstantiated by actual evidence. Nintendo can't use a non-maxwell GPU without re-compiling every game or giving up backwards compatibility, because every game embeds a full maxwell gpu driver/stack including pre-compiled native shader assembly."

I'm just relieved that this has become a business objective for them that they need to succeed on

It frankly sucked to be a Nintendo fan who committed to a platform like the Wii U and saw nothing for it, because business-wise it didn't make sense for them to contribute resources to such a small % of users who likely already were all-in on the Switch. Now, things have changed and we're hopefully better off for it.

It’s not that hard. They are in the best position ever. The switch hybrid design is just easy to market and understand. All they need to do is get out of their own way and don’t overthink and over gimmick their own product. Allow Nvidia to do the heavy lifting with internals and architecture. I have no faith in Nintendo sadly. They will mess this up somehow trying to be different when there is no need to be.

I'm just relieved that this has become a business objective for them that they need to succeed on

It frankly sucked to be a Nintendo fan who committed to a platform like the Wii U and saw nothing for it, because business-wise it didn't make sense for them to contribute resources to such a small % of users who likely already were all-in on the Switch. Now, things have changed and we're hopefully better off for it.
They do have a new president after all.
Iwata did a lot of great things, and he was a fantastic person, but I don't think he was very effective at business. He wanted to make people smile and laugh, but that often lead to a lot of strange business decisions that didn't make a lot of practical sense, like a 3D screen or the Wii U gamepad. Furukawa seems to be much more business savy. He wants your money and he'll do what it takes to get it.

1. How can you have long term relationship with customers through the Nintendo account, if peoples purchases doesn't transfer to the next device?

2. Here's the quote: "Completely unsubstantiated by actual evidence. Nintendo can't use a non-maxwell GPU without re-compiling every game or giving up backwards compatibility, because every game embeds a full maxwell gpu driver/stack including pre-compiled native shader assembly."
1. Where does it confirm BC beyond "they need it"

2. Emulation and re-compiling.

I don't want to argue about this because I have work to do, and I don't know everything about Nintendo / Nvidia hardware. I only wanted to point out how unnecessary and potentially derailing your comment was.

With the context of the tweet explaining the (mis)translation, I guess it's just doubling down on Furukawa's management style of "every year is do-or-die for us"; just because they've successfully transitioned before with Gamecube to Wii and GBA to DS, doesn't mean they'll be slacking on the Switch to Switch 2 transition

My takeaway is maybe this means Drake actually will be marketed as a Pro model by Nintendo?

Understandable. They no longer have a second system in the back pocket to fall back on if the next system is a dud.
This is how I read the statement as well. Nintendo can't afford to have even a DS -> 3DS style bad momentum to start the Switch successor. It needs to be much more the gb -> gbc -> gba -> ds chain of momentum. Not even addressing a potential wii -> wiiu or n64 -> gc mess.

according to my notes the word is that backwards compatibility is possible, just not natively. It would take a patch.
So........................... BC is possible
most likely there will be no patch, but a translation layer in the OS. so no work by third parties unless you're one of the <1% of games that might have a problem. IMO, BC wasn't ever really a question, but some comments from certain peoples have planted a seed of doubt in folks. it won't be as cut and dry as GCN/Wii to Wii U was, but as a consumer, I find the fear greatly unwarranted. if it doesn't happen, tech wouldn't be the reason

I posted the following in the hardware thread, and might as well repeat it here:

VGC's editorial standard is rather tenuous, and it isn't below them to publish exaggerated, distorted, or unconfirmed stories. I already disputed (either on Fami or Era; don't remember) their interpretation of that Nikkei interview of Furukawa, in which VGC claimed that the next Nintendo hardware "need to offer a new experience", but that wasn't what Furukawa said at all. (Some are still citing that article even today; the damage is long lasting.) And we shall never forget that they was duped by Jon Cartwright's Waddle Dee Knows hoax. Their reporters seems to do less due diligence than the regular posters in this thread.

The exact language in the Q&A was "課題". I'd translate it as "an agenda". Depending on the context it could also be "an issue". If you really want to emphasize it, the translation can be "a challenge". It'a a major concern that a professional gaming news outlet would even categorized it as "a major concern".

Do not trust what you read on VGC.

With the context of the tweet explaining the (mis)translation, I guess it's just doubling down on Furukawa's management style of "every year is do-or-die for us"; just because they've successfully transitioned before with Gamecube to Wii and GBA to DS, doesn't mean they'll be slacking on the Switch to Switch 2 transition
The oft-cited "do or die" phrase is also an exaggerated translation. I'd translated it to "crucial" or at most "critical".

On the flip side, the support they put on the Switch feels like it will be around for longer than expected. NSO, missions, software..etc. Or perhaps, these factors will be used as groundwork used to transition to the next platform.

Either way, the transition to the next platform is daunting.

I will always say this. Nintendo is always a victim of it's own success.

This is something Furukawa has talked about for years now so I’m not surprised they a) wanna carry those users over & b) do so in a smooth way that doesn’t induce a lot of problems.

Edit: also after reading the thread on Era I cannot for the life of me understand the following trains of “logic” from the internet:
  • Nintendo gonna Nintendo on hardware because….
  • They’ll do something completely different because…
  • Nintendo has never done bc because…
  • Even when proven wrong they don’t do digital bc because…
  • They won’t do physical bc because…
  • They’ll sell you ports like everyone because…
I am asking a rhetorical question by the way since the answer is literally the first bullet point. Hell we even have people lamenting that Nintendo is with Nvidia & not AMD because…

Last edited:
Makes me double down on the idea that the next Nintendo console is keeping the Switch name and hybrid nature.

it really is this simple

don't call it SWITCH U or anything like that
don't saddle it with any unwanted/unecesary gimmicks that increase the price
have compelling games in the launch window
include bc so it's easy for people to jump over

On the flip side, the support they put on the Switch feels like it will be around for longer than expected. NSO, missions, software..etc. Or perhaps, these factors will be used as groundwork used to transition to the next platform.

Either way, the transition to the next platform is daunting.

I will always say this. Nintendo is always a victim of it's own success.
Regardless of when the next console comes, it's clear from Furukawa that NSO is transitioning immediately to the next console.

Switch 2 with full on BC will easily be the GOAT Nintendo console with its massive multigenerational library.

Back
Top Bottom