• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo privates the Switch OLED Model trailer on YouTube

Status
Not open for further replies.
New Nintendo Switch, out this September next to Splatoon 3. Preorders exclusive to the Nintendo Store.

i.e. The internet literally explodes. We all sing the praises of Nintendo for freeing us from this online prison.

People started talking about the release of new hardware ahead of the OLED reveal, but there wasn't anything close to an "open secret" about its reveal timing. Few people had anything to say on that front, apart from some initial speculation that it might happen before E3. It was also mixed up with "Switch Pro" stuff that turned out to be wrong (such as M+R2). The Lite on the other hand had no chatter at all before its reveal. Its existence was reported on earlier in the year by Bloomberg and confirmed with a photo leak, but nobody called out a July announcement before it happened.

I would say we're in a pretty similar situation now. Bloomberg reported on it some time back, its existence is known to several people, but no one can speak to the announcement timing because Nintendo can hold that as close to the chest as they need to.
Was it the Switch Lite where Furukawa said that they won't announce new hardware at E3?

For what it's worth, while I still doubt a pro is happening, a pro late 2022 makes a lot more sense than in early 2023. Because a late 2024 release of the next console makes a lot more sense than waiting until fing 2025.

For what it's worth, while I still doubt a pro is happening, a pro late 2022 makes a lot more sense than in early 2023. Because a late 2024 release of the next console makes a lot more sense than waiting until fing 2025.
2024 or 2025 aren't happening. Get used to the idea of 2027+.

Mmmmm this definitely means something regarding how they present Switch hardware

but not really confident they'll reveal the next Switch or revision this year.

I'm skeptical that a Lite OLED model needs its own announcement video. Well, I'm skeptical of the whole concept of yet another Mariko model after the OLED. I could see Lite OLED being a Drake die shrink in the future.
I mean I’m not expecting another model until Drake but mostly just poking fun

Seeing this and a media article posted today explaining how to transfer switch data to another switch makes me want to believe...

I am grasping at every straw possible!

Also how has the thread title not been updated yet? The Lite was privated a year ago.

OLED trailer going private this soon is a bit strange but this could have various internal reasons. Maybe they had the license of that song in the trailer only for one year.

Switch Reveal Trailer being still up makes a lot of sense because it is selling more the idea of the switch, which is still relevant today.

Hmm, what's this now?
Cnet, an electronics media website, decided to post a guide for switch transferring today which seemed like strange timing to me.

Or maybe people normally upgrade/get new devices in this summer months?

OLED trailer going private this soon is a bit strange but this could have various internal reasons. Maybe they had the license of that song in the trailer only for one year.

Switch Reveal Trailer being still up makes a lot of sense because it is selling more the idea of the switch, which is still relevant today.
I agree that it could be several reasons, but I don't think it's because of the song license. Three reasons for that:
1. other Nintendo channels kept the trailer online
2. Nintendo is too wealthy to just buy 1-year licenses. This trailer also gets reuploaded by IGN etc and there are a lot reaction videos, it would be a copyright nightmare to not buy a full license. They absolutely go all in with stuff like this, its not even that expensive.
3. The song's not popular or anything, I think they even produced it in-house because its nowhere else to be found. They have all the rights to it.

So we're at the "strange article timing" level of micro-analysing?
No no the strange timing thought was independent of this video private happenings for me. Not really trying to link it in a meaningful analysis way sorry if it seemed like that

How are people sure Nintendo privated the lite video before the OLED reveal and also why would Nintendo private the videos in the first place, what sense does it make??

How are people sure Nintendo privated the lite video before the OLED reveal and also why would Nintendo private the videos in the first place, what sense does it make??
So that new announced hardware doesn’t get confused with existing hardware when people search for it onljne

I agree that it could be several reasons, but I don't think it's because of the song license. Three reasons for that:
1. other Nintendo channels kept the trailer online
2. Nintendo is too wealthy to just buy 1-year licenses. This trailer also gets reuploaded by IGN etc and there are a lot reaction videos, it would be a copyright nightmare to not buy a full license. They absolutely go all in with stuff like this, its not even that expensive.
3. The song's not popular or anything, I think they even produced it in-house because its nowhere else to be found. They have all the rights to it.
Yeah I see that. It is propably not produced in-house but still specifically for this trailer.

Last edited:
Because there would be crossgen games with OG Switch in mind until 2027
Slowly there will be less cross-gen games and most games will be Drake exclusive by 2025, in 2027 Switch 1 will still be supported in the sense of infrastructure and some 3rd parties but I think almost all 1st party games will release only for Drake in 2027.

Slowly there will be less cross-gen games and most games will be Drake exclusive by 2025, in 2027 Switch 1 will still be supported in the sense of infrastructure and some 3rd parties but I think almost all 1st party games will release only for Drake in 2027.
Switch was created in part to unify game development, having to make Switch and Switch Pro versions simultaneously will take longer and there will be fewer games.

Or games on Switch Pro will be just a Switch game at higher resolution, FPS and RT. Nothing very fancy.

Either of the two alternatives seems wrong to me.

If by 2025 there aren't more Switch games, it should be just like PS5, a new generation with crossgen, not a revision that just confuses people.

First question, they're checking on web archive. It's the top post on the second page.

Second question, to avoid confusion. Apple does that too, they private reveals of older iPhone models when announcing the new one, saving people from mistakenly watch the wrong videos. Mistakes like that are very common.

We’ve been told 3rd parties are making Drake exclusive games so we shouldn’t worry on that end about a game needing to make sure it runs on a OG. Even if Nintendo were the only ones who supported both OG and Drake Switches, as long as the Drake version ran perfectly and had DLSS that’s a great spot.

Is the talk of an OLED Lite based on some insider info or just people preparing for a possibly boring outcome?

Is the talk of an OLED Lite based on some insider info or just people preparing for a possibly boring outcome?

If you remember what happened last year around this time, then i can very much see where all the pessimism comes from because everyone like now were Switch Pro crazy only to get burned by the OLED announcement

GUYS. Nintendo Switch OLED trailer on Nintendo's channel went private. I swear it was normally public like 2 days ago. IT'S FUCKING HAPPENING.

link

This is the actual source of the news, posted an hour before this thread. Really not cool to claim it as your own discovery both here and on Era and not give credit if you saw it from the Event thread @Meelow.

Last edited:
I think we're looking too deep into this..I'm going to remain conservative and speculate at when the first party direct will drop. I don't a hardware teaser or reveal is happening soon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom