• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Discussion Nintendo needs a Peach game

julian

Bob-omb
Founder
With the Mario movie approaching, I’ve seen people wondering why Nintendo didn’t have a new Mario game ready. But Nintendo has plenty of Mario games they can push whether it’s their 2D side scroller, 3D platformers, sports, party or kart racing games, so much! More importantly, they also have games starring or featuring the other main characters in the movie:

Luigi’s Mansion 3
Captain Toad Treasure Tracker
Yoshi’s Crafted World
Donkey Kong Tropical Freeze
and though not starring, Bowser’s Fury

But there is no Peach game or even a game with Peach in the title. It’s a very clear gap in their lineup and one they need to address immediately. If anything, it needed to be addressed well before the movie came out. All they can do now is point to her inclusion in the various games with Mario in the title or Smash Bros. 3D World at least lets you play as her, but imagine kids coming out of that movie and wanting to get a “Peach game”, what will they choose?

Maybe once DS comes to NSO Super Princess Peach will get a second life but it’s not the same as a new game. So what should it be? Does anybody else see this as a clear problem in their lineup?

I was shocked at no Lego Peach and then one appeared

Hope the same happens here, Peach game could be awesome

and wanting to get a “Peach game”, what will they choose?

If they ant a playable peach, the answer would be Super mario 3d world. Nintendo is pretty much moving away from single character new i.p. and it's unlikely they ever make another Mario themed platformer that isn't either starring mario or a ensemble cast like 3D world is.

Maybe once DS comes to NSO Super Princess Peach will get a second life but it’s not the same as a new game. So what should it be? Does anybody else see this as a clear problem in their lineup?

It had better not, that game is a misogynistic piece of garbage. If it wasn't for Other M, it'd probably be the most offensive title to women that Nintendo has ever released.

Super mario 3d world. That was easy

It had better not, that game is a misogynistic piece of garbage. If it wasn't for Other M, it'd probably be the most offensive title to women that Nintendo has ever released.
I mention 3D World, but my bigger point is the other characters all have games either featuring them or in Bowser’s case with their name in the title.

In regards to Super Princess Peach, I have to get around to actually playing it to judge, but it never sounded great.

If they ant a playable peach, the answer would be Super mario 3d world. Nintendo is pretty much moving away from single character new i.p. and it's unlikely they ever make another Mario themed platformer that isn't either starring mario or a ensemble cast like 3D world is.

What suggests to you they are moving away from things?

Sure Luigis Mansion isnt a new IP and it's been a while sonce Captsin Toad, but it's also been a while since the Mario Odyssey.

We are probably also getting a new Donkey Kong game in the next few years, so I don't see it.

I'm not saying they will definitely give every Mario side character a game, but if someone has a game concept and they have resources free, I don't see why not.

I don't want this thread to go too offrails, but yeah in hindsight it's weird as hell how Super Princess Peach got greenlit in any capacity with the final product becoming what it did. For the sake of anyone who did enjoy that game, I sincerely hope they're content to play it while it's locked on DS because it's not going anywhere.

I agree though, it seems a shame that there isn't a proper game where Peach is offered as the favoured/sole protagonist. You would think that something could be done along the lines of incorporating Princess Daisy into the title as well and offer a more light-hearted political text adventure along the lines of Suzerain, but seeing as Peach is probably about to girlboss her way through the movie I think a sidescroller where she has access to close combat weapons, I'd be okay with that too.

More Mario side characters needs their time in the limelight (and though I would usually stan Waluigi, this thread is not the time nor place 😋)

What suggests to you they are moving away from things?

Sure Luigis Mansion isnt a new IP and it's been a while sonce Captsin Toad, but it's also been a while since the Mario Odyssey.

We are probably also getting a new Donkey Kong game in the next few years, so I don't see it.

I'm not saying they will definitely give every Mario side character a game, but if someone has a game concept and they have resources free, I don't see why not.

Donkey Kong isn't a new i.p., that's an existing series, but in any case, he wasn't the only player character in the last two new games, and the most recent one he was one of five player characters (4 in the Wii U Version). I very much doubt he's the only player character if and when that rumoured title appears. And I think that's also the most likely case to happen again where we get a new game where princess peach is playable. If for nothing else, because it lends itself well to multiplayer.

I know the logical follow up to that is technically super princess peach 2 wouldn't be new either, but they have every reason to never want to mention that game again (for that matter, they skipped it on the Wii U DS virtual console too)

never got the chance to play SPP but I'd be open to a sequel. I would rather them expand pink gold peach into perhaps an action game where she's the leader of a metallic women's crime fighting team

Donkey Kong isn't a new i.p., that's an existing series, but in any case, he wasn't the only player character in the last two new games, and the most recent one he was one of five player characters (4 in the Wii U Version). I very much doubt he's the only player character if and when that rumoured title appears. And I think that's also the most likely case to happen again where we get a new game where princess peach is playable. If for nothing else, because it lends itself well to multiplayer.

I know the logical follow up to that is technically super princess peach 2 wouldn't be new either, but they have every reason to never want to mention that game again (for that matter, they skipped it on the Wii U DS virtual console too)
I mean yeah I didn't mean to imply that Donkey Kong himself was new, but it's probably the start of a new series as I don't really think it's gonna be country game and it's not like you can call Donkey Kong 64 a series.

Mario side characters are more likely to get their own side game than any other Nintendo IP.

Super Princess Peach absolutely deserves to become a series.

And hey, Luigi's Mansion became a series a decade after its first game. Better late than never.

Super Princess Peach absolutely deserves to become a series.

It really doesn't. Peach in the upcoming film is the polar opposite of how they decided to portray Peach in that game. Like, the entire concept was "we are making a game starring a woman, therefore it should be all about everyone's emotions going out of control". I don't know how that shit flew back in the day, let alone reviving it in 2023+.

Even if they do make another Peach starring game, they're rightly going to want to distance themselves from it.

The big issue with Peach as a character moving forward is that Nintendo is convinced that Peach MUST have her floating mechanic whenever she's playable and this mechanic is just really uninteresting most of the time and generally makes things way too easy.

I would love to see a great Peach series, but I don't think EPD has the interest or developers to make one and I don't know if it would even be good if they tried to make it as they think Peach is defined by her floating.

I don't want this thread to go too offrails, but yeah in hindsight it's weird as hell how Super Princess Peach got greenlit in any capacity with the final product becoming what it did. For the sake of anyone who did enjoy that game, I sincerely hope they're content to play it while it's locked on DS because it's not going anywhere.

I agree though, it seems a shame that there isn't a proper game where Peach is offered as the favoured/sole protagonist. You would think that something could be done along the lines of incorporating Princess Daisy into the title as well and offer a more light-hearted political text adventure along the lines of Suzerain, but seeing as Peach is probably about to girlboss her way through the movie I think a sidescroller where she has access to close combat weapons, I'd be okay with that too.

More Mario side characters needs their time in the limelight (and though I would usually stan Waluigi, this thread is not the time nor place 😋)
I was thinking about making a thread about SPP and I guess I got sniped lol. It’s a very weird and bizarre game that I can’t imagine modern Nintendo ever greenlighting. I feel like Nintendo doesn’t really know what to do with its princess characters honestly.

I really liked Super Princess Peach.
The mechanics were neat and when Bowser laughed at me for not being a hero, I got to kick his butt over it. Which I can’t say I’ve had the pleasure in real life for some of the dingbats I’ve had to encounter.

I also really liked the tiny goombas that ran around crying. It was neat to see regular enemies have some variety.

Yeah the core of the game being a weird magic wand makes emotions go out of whack stinks of “women are emotional and out of control” but given that you have control of which emotion you’re in most of the time (as far as I remember, it’s been a while since I’ve played), it always felt more to me like emotions could be powerful.
And I dunno… instead of just erasing that game out of sight or even the idea that we should avoid something like this at all costs, I think I’d rather see a game explore the idea more of a character using their emotions or even exploring their emotions and how they can use them to effect the world around them.

Is that a Nintendo thing to do? Probably not. I doubt they’d ever go more than surface level. But I do think it could be cool.

Peach needs to have more agency in mainline Mario games too, 3D World showed some of it (she can be reckless and jump to help before thinking) and she got a lot of characterization in Oddysey, but she was still the kidnapped princess. I think next game she could end up kidnapped and somehow escape by herself or with the help of someone who isn't Mario and support Mario on his adventure. It's not like we haven't seen something similar in Paper Mario and TTYD. Also, I think she should be playable in 2D Mario games, though I guess that can sometimes clash with Bowser's insistence on kidnapping her to marry her, but if they include some slight narrative in the 2D games to allude to his obsession with Peach I think that'd suffice.

A game staring Peach would be nice too, one that isn't necessarily like Super Princess Peach, she doesn't HAVE to fight with wide emotional swings.

I wonder if something like what I am describing will happen after the movie, not just because of the reception, but to the Mario universe to be a bit more self consistent. They have been very involved in the making of the movie after all, so that may have ended up influencing the current games in development.

I'll be honest
I think the idea of "take a secondary Mario character and make a 2d platformer with him instead" is the most creatively bankrupt idea you can have, the fact they've actually done it with super princess peach is kind of insane.
And I also don't think they should do it with waluigi. Most of the time you're just creating a gimmicky less fun Mario game and if you're doing it just to give a character the spotlight then why bother.
Imagine if instead of Luigi's mansion they made a Mario 64 clone where you play as Luigi who jumps higher and slides, maybe it will be even good but if the plan is creating a gimmicky Mario game then just make a Mario game.
Of course I would love if they can build a new gameplay style around that character like Luigi's mansion and captain toad but that's not always possible and if you go too far you might as well create a new IP.
In the end if people want to play as the secondary characters they can just play mario kart or party or any other mario sports game, that's what they're made for, Also they could play super mario 3d world If they want a peach or luigi platformer.

I know Super Princess Peach relied on stereotypes, but I do think as a mechanic the emotions were at least interesting and did separate Peach from Mario. It's biggest problem to me is that it stopped and ended at this joke without actually pushing it with as much depth as they could have. Maybe mixing in some Wario-like elements with a transforming state for Peach with the emotions to allow for more puzzle-solving platforming.

Flesh it out into something more complex, and not rely on a cheap vibrator joke to sell your premise.

I'll be honest
I think the idea of "take a secondary Mario character and make a 2d platformer with him instead" is the most creatively bankrupt idea you can have, the fact they've actually done it with super princess peach is kind of insane.
And I also don't think they should do it with waluigi. Most of the time you're just creating a gimmicky less fun Mario game and if you're doing it just to give a character the spotlight then why bother.
Imagine if instead of Luigi's mansion they made a Mario 64 clone where you play as Luigi who jumps higher and slides, maybe it will be even good but if the plan is creating a gimmicky Mario game then just make a Mario game.
Of course I would love if they can build a new gameplay style around that character like Luigi's mansion and captain toad but that's not always possible and if you go too far you might as well create a new IP.
In the end if people want to play as the secondary characters they can just play mario kart or party or any other mario sports game, that's what they're made for, Also they could play super mario 3d world If they want a peach or luigi platformer.
To be clear, that’s definitely not what I’m suggesting. I think Peach deserves more than just another platformer. I also don’t think her being playable in some Mario titles is at all the same as having a game focused around her. The thing I think is missing is going to the store and seeing her name on a box. Imagine you’re a kid coming out of the movie, thinking she’s the best and then looking for the “Peach game”. There’s nothing. Toad has a bigger game.

Considering the emphasis on Peach’s castle, maybe a city sim would work. You can design your own castle and utilize the toads to do tasks for you. Add in some tower defense if you want to throw in some tension.

It really doesn't. Peach in the upcoming film is the polar opposite of how they decided to portray Peach in that game. Like, the entire concept was "we are making a game starring a woman, therefore it should be all about everyone's emotions going out of control". I don't know how that shit flew back in the day, let alone reviving it in 2023+.

Even if they do make another Peach starring game, they're rightly going to want to distance themselves from it.

Peach is very much in control of her emotions the whole time. The whole point is that she controls them and through them, the world around her.

At least, that's what I'd like to say if the game actually had depth to it beyond the gimmick. It stops and ends at its misogyny joke.

I think the original conceit of a Peach with what amounts to "Wario's transformations at will" has some merit, and it doesn't matter if you dropped the original window dressing. Focusing on Peach in a way that separates her from Mario should be an important thing and the idea of manipulating your environment through your actions, with a cast of enemies who reflect your own abilities is seriously a good idea.

... An idea wasted on a stupid period joke.

Peach is very much in control of her emotions the whole time. The whole point is that she controls them and through them, the world around her.

At least, that's what I'd like to say if the game actually had depth to it beyond the gimmick. It stops and ends at its misogyny joke.

I think the original conceit of a Peach with what amounts to "Wario's transformations at will" has some merit, and it doesn't matter if you dropped the original window dressing. Focusing on Peach in a way that separates her from Mario should be an important thing and the idea of manipulating your environment through your actions, with a cast of enemies who reflect your own abilities is seriously a good idea.

... An idea wasted on a stupid period joke.
Interestingly enough, the Nintendo director of SPP, Azusa Tajima, also directed Wario: Master of Disguise... and that game does reference SPP, with the final boss being a broken mirror of Peach and her emotions.

To be clear, that’s definitely not what I’m suggesting. I think Peach deserves more than just another platformer. I also don’t think her being playable in some Mario titles is at all the same as having a game focused around her. The thing I think is missing is going to the store and seeing her name on a box. Imagine you’re a kid coming out of the movie, thinking she’s the best and then looking for the “Peach game”. There’s nothing. Toad has a bigger game.
I don't think kid searching for a Peach game is as big of a deal as you're making.
It's still the Mario series and kids will mostly search for a Mario game even if they want to play as peach, if it's their first game because they found out about mario thanks to the movie they wouldn't even think that peach isn't playable in the games, and if they choose a Mario game for her they have games where she is playable so it really is a non problem in my opinion. She's even in the box art of super mario 3d world and mario kart 8 deluxe, if a kid wants a game where peach is playable the box art is right there.

Interestingly enough, the Nintendo director of SPP, Azusa Tajima, also directed Wario: Master of Disguise... and that game does reference SPP, with the final boss being a broken mirror of Peach and her emotions.

That explains a lot. Master of Disguise was a shallow game that wittled a lot of his depth away. And it felt like it was following SPP's steps.

I don't think kid searching for a Peach game is as big of a deal as you're making.
It's still the Mario series and kids will mostly search for a Mario game even if they want to play as peach, if it's their first game because they found out about mario thanks to the movie they wouldn't even think that peach isn't playable in the games, and if they choose a Mario game for her they have games where she is playable so it really is a non problem in my opinion. She's even in the box art of super mario 3d world and mario kart 8 deluxe, if a kid wants a game where peach is playable the box art is right there.
I think you are underestimating the negative effect that comes with every male character in the movie having their own game but Peach not having one. Can they play as her in other games? Sure. Does it have the same impact as her having her own game? Not even close.

Kids aren’t dumb. They notice these things.

I dont think they would know how to make a game like that without it being plagued by sexist stereotypes from the very concept.

I've said time-and-time again Nintendo should take the Mario Galaxy formulae and attach Peach or Wario to it.
Let 3D Mario keep pushing new grounds and 2D Mario include the full cast...

But there is real thirst for new planetoid-style linear-3D platforming set to epic-scale backdrops and music.

With how regulated the Mario brand is these days, I'm not sure how interesting they could make a Peach spinoff. I do think though, she should be a standard playable character in all Mario games going forward.

I dont think they would know how to make a game like that without it being plagued by sexist stereotypes from the very concept.
Pairing her up with the other princesses would be a good start I think. Fleshing them each out as individuals through gameplay and story outside of the stereotypes.

If there's one thing about stereotypes, it's that they tell the same exact fucking joke. And when you have to actually embrace depth and humanity they just naturally melt away.

I don't think Peach has enough of a character to make a whole game out of her. Luigi's Mansion works because it builds off of what Luigi is character wise, and it's a departure from the traditional Mario formula even going so far as to not allow any of the characters to jump. Meanwhile DK and Yoshi have evolved as their own entire series which have a long history of not only setting the gameplay apart from Mario but also the entire style and personality of each respective series. Like no single DK game feels like it's a Mario game, they hardly even feel connected to Mario.

Similarly Captain Toad only exists because of the side game in 3D World. None of which is to mention that any idea they come up with could easily likely just use Mario and the rest of the gang.

I mean unless the they go the route of like a dress up game, or a fashion game, but even then there's no inherent reason that has to just star Peach, it could easily still include the rest of the main cast.

Yeah, SPP is honestly better left forgotten. There's a reason Nintendo never talks about/acknowledges it. Plus, TOSE also stopped making their own games since 2008.

3D World was much better as a "Peach game" too.

I don't think Peach has enough of a character to make a whole game out of her. Luigi's Mansion works because it builds off of what Luigi is character wise, and it's a departure from the traditional Mario formula even going so far as to not allow any of the characters to jump. Meanwhile DK and Yoshi have evolved as their own entire series which have a long history of not only setting the gameplay apart from Mario but also the entire style and personality of each respective series. Like no single DK game feels like it's a Mario game, they hardly even feel connected to Mario.

Similarly Captain Toad only exists because of the side game in 3D World. None of which is to mention that any idea they come up with could easily likely just use Mario and the rest of the gang.

I mean unless the they go the route of like a dress up game, or a fashion game, but even then there's no inherent reason that has to just star Peach, it could easily still include the rest of the main cast.
She is a monarch. It doesn't even have to be a platformer. They could build off her monarch role in god-sim like games. There's plenty to be done with Peach that don't involve her having to be your average platform hero searching for goodies in nooks and cranny's.

Yeah we associate Mario brand with platformers, but there are other options outside of the platforming route that can work for her if the mind is put to it.

She is a monarch. It doesn't even have to be a platformer. They could build off her monarch role in god-sim like games. There's plenty to be done with Peach that don't involve her having to be your average platform hero searching for goodies in nooks and cranny's.

Yeah we associate Mario brand with platformers, but there are other options outside of the platforming route that can work for her if the mind is put to it.
The only thing I can see out of that role of hers is a civilization/sim city like game where you build the mushroom kingdom, but in a scenario like that, you aren't really "playing as Peach."

Moreover it's Mario, they're not gonna build some geopolitical storyline about Peach ruling the Mushroom Kingdom, making her title as a "monarch" pretty meaningless to her as a character.

I’ll take a Peach RPG game of some sort. Maybe it’s like Mario RPG, maybe it’s more character focused, or maybe it includes some fishing/gardening/building stuff. Daisy and Rosalina should be there, maybe Zelda too. I don’t know surprise me.

I’ll take a Peach RPG game of some sort. Maybe it’s like Mario RPG, maybe it’s more character focused, or maybe it includes some fishing/gardening/building stuff. Daisy and Rosalina should be there, maybe Zelda too. I don’t know surprise me.

This is where Plum will make her big comeback, I just know it

images

Super Princess Peach is a weird game. The first game to solely star one of Nintendo's most prominent female characters, one of video game's most well-known female characters at that, and...it's an afterthought. A one-off spinoff developed by the Starfy folks that's treated with as much importance as an Artoon Yoshi game or a Paon DK game. It's decent (if a bit simple), but the stereotypical emotion-based focus give the game a lot of baggage, even if "emotions as superpower" is not an inherently bad concept.

I wonder what would be a good fit for a modern Peach game. You could do a platformer again, but with Peach being readily available for the core series (and she should continue to be playable in the core series), you'd need to have it set itself apart somehow. Luigi's games are adventure games, Captain Toad lacks a jump and is more puzzle focused, both Yoshi and Wario focus more on collection, DK is this heavier feeling game with somewhat more grounded worlds. I think one potential avenue could be going back to SMB2 - pluck and throw mechanics in more exploration-focused linear levels, using Peach's float to help with navigation and aiming precise shots. If you don't want veggies or want to do something different, maybe have Peach use magic, she's been seen to use some in different games.

I think of the "trio/quarter" angle with Peach, Daisy, Rosalina, and potentially Pauline, and that's not a bad idea (could fit in with the whole SMB2 throwback concept), but Peach shouldn't have to be paired off to give her a substantial concept. Mario, Luigi, Yoshi, Wario, DK, they've all been able to stand alone as protagonists at some point or another, why can't Peach?

I've said time-and-time again Nintendo should take the Mario Galaxy formulae and attach Peach or Wario to it.
Let 3D Mario keep pushing new grounds and 2D Mario include the full cast...

But there is real thirst for new planetoid-style linear-3D platforming set to epic-scale backdrops and music.
Rosalina is a natural fit for this concept and it is one of the few ways that I would actively want a third Mario Galaxy game.

I remember a brief, wonderful period where it was speculated abotu whether Peach would be playable in the post-game of Mario Odyssey

What a beautiful few days that was

Peach getting her own game is the only way to make up for that nonsense

Last edited:
Mario universe has too many spinoffs. It's time for Wario universe to have some.

We need Captain Syrup game. Something like Assassin's Creed Black Flag, perhaps. She'll be blowing shit up to collect craploads of treasure.

Also a Princess Shokora RPG could be cool. Shokora has 4 personas: fairy tale, realistic, baby and Wario. They could be like jobs in a classic JRPG.

I'd rather get a Daisy or Rosalina game. Peach is just so vanilla. But yes, one of them needs to be the protagonist of their own game!

The perfect genre for a Peach game would be a Love-de-Lic adventure game (or Anti-RPG). Peach's take on moon, GiFTPiA, Chibi-Robo, and Chulip's formula.

Peach is often portrayed as kind (the TEC parts in Paper Mario 2 come to mind). And as a monarch, she must have good diplomatic skills. A Peach's game doesn't need combats, she's a person who can find a better way to solve conflicts. She should aim to make her citizens happy.

And with these premises, we are in Love-de-Lic territory. In the games I mentioned above, you don't fight enemies -- you interact with weird and funny NPCs, and you help them gain "Love Points" or fulfill their dreams. The main characters of these games are, above all, kind.

Marketing-wise, a Peach's Love-de-Lic-like game (too many hyphens!) would perfectly cater to the vast Animal Crossing female audience. Make it happen, Nintendo!

I'd rather get a Daisy or Rosalina game. Peach is just so vanilla. But yes, one of them needs to be the protagonist of their own game!
I only say Peach because she’s so prominently featured in the movie. Some of you are making me want a strategy game or something where the various kingdoms all battle against one another - but more likely something where they need to interact with each other in a friendly manner. Maybe a resource management kingdom building game. Get Daisy, Pauline, and Rosalina ruling their own areas. Then throw in Bowser cause why not.

I only say Peach because she’s so prominently featured in the movie. Some of you are making me want a strategy game or something where the various kingdoms all battle against one another - but more likely something where they need to interact with each other in a friendly manner. Maybe a resource management kingdom building game. Get Daisy, Pauline, and Rosalina ruling their own areas. Then throw in Bowser cause why not.
Remember this?

MightiestMinions_MinionQuest.png

They could try this again, but actually make the game good, and have it focused on Peach as commander.

Back
Top Bottom