• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nintendo hate still bums me out sometimes...

Edit: Post removed at the request of the user - Donnie
anime-weird.gif

Obviously it's Sega, they won't invest enough budget into Sonic games anymore because they're spending too much of the budget on anti-Nintendo astroturfers. They never did get over losing the console wars.

These people aren't really as common now. If you were active on the internet in the Wii era you'd probably be driven nuts by these kinds of people. The problem isn't them not liking Nintendo as much as them thinking certain genres or types of video games are inherently "lesser". You also added in people who refused to interact with games on non-HD platforms or motion controls at that time as well.

These people aren't really as common now. If you were active on the internet in the Wii era you'd probably be driven nuts by these kinds of people. The problem isn't them not liking Nintendo as much as them thinking certain genres or types of video games are inherently "lesser". You also added in people who refused to interact with games on non-HD platforms or motion controls at that time as well.
Yeah Wii / DS era was a clusterfuck lol. I was there, in Gamefaqs!

This pretty much sums up how I have experienced it as well. It's never just a "Nintendo bad" attitude, it's often in line with "Indies bad" or "<blank> isn't a REAL GAME" or "handheld consoles don't have REAL GAMES". It's part of a broader dismissive attitude that wants games defined within a very narrow spectrum, often tethered to realism, technical prowess, action-oriented gameplay and 'cinematic' presentation.

I think the weirdest part is the sort of love hate relationship, like, people want Nintendo to do bad, but only so they are forced to pull a SEGA and become a 3rd party and put their games on their (haters) console of allegiance.

When reviewing Breath of the Wild, I wrote a response to people who dismiss Nintendo for being late to the party with certain kind of games like open-world and multiplayer shooters, and not including certain 'standard features' and/or seemingly being derivative when they do them. I was being specific to Zelda at the time, but "Zelda" can very much be replaced with "Nintendo" here:

When Zelda does something, even if from a purely mechanical standpoint it's not that big of a deal, an edge is added that makes you see it from a completely different angle. This may sound like a fanboy's excuse, but Zelda's reputation for consistently delivering joy didn't come from a cult following, it came from the Zelda team putting just a little bit more effort into game design decisions that other developers see as not significant in the grander scheme of things. You may not have to give that stuff another pass to make a good game, but you'll have to if you want to make a SPECIAL game.

Honestly, kind of surprised to see this thread, because considering the current times, I think Nintendo “hate” is actually pretty low at this point. Considering I’ve seen the N64, Cube and Wii era’s which had some rampant console warrior nonsense, the Switch years have been considerably nicer in regards to Nintendo discussion.

I think that in general the crowd that discusses videogames got older, tastes change, appreciation for different takes on videogames got wider; that’s a great thing. In regards to Nintendo you do see a lot more of people looking at their games and applauding their quality.

The only current thing I don’t like about Nintendo discussion is their pricing strategy for games in general and we get those whiney “anti consumer” talks which makes me roll my eyes. Criticize Nintendo for the right things, be my guest, but I just loathe the term anticonsumer because in general it’s used in the wrong context

I think the weirdest part is the sort of love hate relationship, like, people want Nintendo to do bad, but only so they are forced to pull a SEGA and become a 3rd party and put their games on their (haters) console of allegiance.
There is a portion of the PC crowd who have a very toxic relationship with Nintendo. They spend all of their time trying to emulate Nintendo games and boast that they can play them with better graphics. Kotaku even endorses this piracy and gave links to where you can find a "better looking versions Metroid for free!" the week it launched. Pretty gross stuff.

They're still here just hiding behind different goalposts. You may see them trying to compare to the power of their gigantic grill sized 2020 consoles to a portable Nintendo made in 2017 saying Nintendo releases weak underpowered trash.

Honestly, kind of surprised to see this thread, because considering the current times, I think Nintendo “hate” is actually pretty low at this point. Considering I’ve seen the N64, Cube and Wii era’s which had some rampant console warrior nonsense, the Switch years have been considerably nicer in regards to Nintendo discussion.

I think that in general the crowd that discusses videogames got older, tastes change, appreciation for different takes on videogames got wider; that’s a great thing. In regards to Nintendo you do see a lot more of people looking at their games and applauding their quality.

The only current thing I don’t like about Nintendo discussion is their pricing strategy for games in general and we get those whiney “anti consumer” talks which makes me roll my eyes. Criticize Nintendo for the right things, be my guest, but I just loathe the term anticonsumer because in general it’s used in the wrong context

To a degree. At least I’m at an enthusiast board. But my neighbor, he plays games and is big into the PlayStation library. Nothing wrong with that. He likes what he likes and even though I feel Sony has left me behind as they pursue more western interests, they still have some bangers that I love - just not enough to pick up a PS5 until a few years down the line until their is a price drop, like I did with the PS4.

But when he asks me if I’m into games, I said yes, I even collect old games. But I just could not utter that I’m primarily a 3DS and Switch player, and before that, the Wii U and that the games I play on my PS4 are mostly weeb games. I just couldn’t because in the back of my head I feel there’s this stigma.

So I lied and said I’m into Uncharted and Overwatch and shooters.

Don’t know why. Couldn’t say “yeah I’m playing the world ends with you right now” or “hey, you should play Xenoblade 2! It’s awesome!”

I made this thread in response to specific comments I saw rather than because of an overall trend. I've seen comments like that since the early 2000s and just wanted to discuss how it can be a bummer sometimes. Hope that explains!

The thread sort of took on a life of its own at this point though. I really wasn't talking about people disliking Nintendo for business practices or stuff like that, but just when the occasional bad faith actor will say something that doesn't make sense to me (ex. "Switch has a terrible library, who would buy one?" Or "all Nintendo games are just games where you collect stuff") those sorts of comments come from people who aren't really interested in playing the games, but still seek to dismiss them for... Clout, maybe? Idk

Anyway, I will say though that the popularity of the Switch has, in its own way, made it so there are more voices actively critical of Nintendo. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I prefer this now since it's usually people who love Switch and want it to be better rather than people dogpiling on the WiiU without ever being interested in trying it themselves. (I love WiiU so that period was also frustrating for me)

To a degree. At least I’m at an enthusiast board. But my neighbor, he plays games and is big into the PlayStation library. Nothing wrong with that. He likes what he likes and even though I feel Sony has left me behind as they pursue more western interests, they still have some bangers that I love - just not enough to pick up a PS5 until a few years down the line until their is a price drop, like I did with the PS4.

But when he asks me if I’m into games, I said yes, I even collect old games. But I just could not utter that I’m primarily a 3DS and Switch player, and before that, the Wii U and that the games I play on my PS4 are mostly weeb games. I just couldn’t because in the back of my head I feel there’s this stigma.

So I lied and said I’m into Uncharted and Overwatch and shooters.

Don’t know why. Couldn’t say “yeah I’m playing the world ends with you right now” or “hey, you should play Xenoblade 2! It’s awesome!”
Did he ever say anything negative about Nintendo? Sounds to me that you might be making an assumption. Honestly, if he ever asks again you can always tell him what you like. Maybe you'll be surprised! Nowadays when I tell people I have a Switch they will start talking about Mario Kart and stuff.

I made this thread in response to specific comments I saw rather than because of an overall trend. I've seen comments like that since the early 2000s and just wanted to discuss how it can be a bummer sometimes. Hope that explains!

The thread sort of took on a life of its own at this point though. I really wasn't talking about people disliking Nintendo for business practices or stuff like that, but just when the occasional bad faith actor will say something that doesn't make sense to me (ex. "Switch has a terrible library, who would buy one?" Or "all Nintendo games are just games where you collect stuff") those sorts of comments come from people who aren't really interested in playing the games, but still seek to dismiss them for... Clout, maybe? Idk

Anyway, I will say though that the popularity of the Switch has, in its own way, made it so there are more voices actively critical of Nintendo. This isn't necessarily a bad thing. I prefer this now since it's usually people who love Switch and want it to be better rather than people dogpiling on the WiiU without ever being interested in trying it themselves. (I love WiiU so that period was also frustrating for me)
Oh I understand, but even those, some trolls not counted, aren't as present as they once were. The majority of trolls get handled anyway. Some folks just want to see the world burn.

Did he ever say anything negative about Nintendo? Sounds to me that you might be making an assumption. Honestly, if he ever asks again you can always tell him what you like. Maybe you'll be surprised! Nowadays when I tell people I have a Switch they will start talking about Mario Kart and stuff.

No, he hasn’t. So yes an assumption as you said, and probably based on that stigma we all heard post SNES about it just being kiddie, which is further from the truth.

Kind of like when at work or some random stranger you don’t know asks me about football and I just got “yeah, was a great game. Love the Eagles”

I still feel like the previous forum carried a lot of that anti-Nintendo sentiment. It was made much worse by the fact that confirmed staff who work at Sony Computer Entertainment also inhabit the board, and much of the discussion always has a particular slant of "Why can't Nintendo be more like Sony? Man, I shouldn't even bother with releases on Nintendo consoles anymore. They offer nothing for me"...on Nintendo specific threads, no less.

So yeah, I admit that maybe I'm a bit neurotic for buying DOOM 2016, The Witcher 3, Crysis Remastered on Switch...just to show those naysayers that they're wrong. I harbor grudges for their views...though at the same time I do enjoy the games I buy, so...

I still feel like the previous forum carried a lot of that anti-Nintendo sentiment. It was made much worse by the fact that confirmed staff who work at Sony Computer Entertainment also inhabit the board, and much of the discussion always has a particular slant of "Why can't Nintendo be more like Sony? Man, I shouldn't even bother with releases on Nintendo consoles anymore. They offer nothing for me"...on Nintendo specific threads, no less.

So yeah, I admit that maybe I'm a bit neurotic for buying DOOM 2016, The Witcher 3, Crysis Remastered on Switch...just to show those naysayers that they're wrong. I harbor grudges for their views...though at the same time I do enjoy the games I buy, so...
Ehh...I wouldn't do that. Like there are definitely posters on there that I just rolled my eyes at or ignored or just didn't like but that was about the extent of it and, if I feel like I could add something to the conversation without feeling like I'm just repeating stuff, I would

Quoted by: SiG
Ehh...I wouldn't do that. Like there are definitely posters on there that I just rolled my eyes at or ignored or just didn't like but that was about the extent of it and, if I feel like I could add something to the conversation without feeling like I'm just repeating stuff, I would
The problem is when ever single discussion ends up becoming like this, it eventually gets very, very tiring, especially when an entire thread gets derailed by it. And apparently their "arguments" aren't even considered console warring, despite basically having the same effect.

The problem is when ever single discussion ends up becoming like this, it eventually gets very, very tiring, especially when an entire thread gets derailed by it. And apparently their "arguments" aren't even considered console warring, despite basically having the same effect.
Oh I totally get that. It's why I'll often just put threads on ignore or avoid them. At the end of the day, people will think or prefer or like whatever they want. Best to just play games and maybe find a handful of folk to discuss the games with, like here or on a Discord server

Oh I totally get that. It's why I'll often just put threads on ignore or avoid them. At the end of the day, people will think or prefer or like whatever they want. Best to just play games and maybe find a handful of folk to discuss the games with, like here or on a Discord server
The problem is these people will still continue to perpetuate and insist that their views are "correct", even with evidence to the contrary (i.e. The "I don't understand why you people get this on Switch when there is the PS5/XBSX/PC version" argument where they simply don't even bother engaging on a discourse). I know some of them might legitimately want to understand the appeal of Switch convertions, but to constantly shoot down anything that comes out on Nintendo's console should be rather seen as suspect.

Edit: Reworded a lot of things for clarity.

Last edited:
There is no reasoning with these people. They just don't like Nintendo because they cannot play their games in their consoles.

Nintendo has a lot of issues and it's fair to criticize the company because of them, but those that clearly state the ignorance that person is better to ignore.

I think all of us here know what we're getting with Nintendo. Lots of frustrating decisions we'd love to see them change, but at the end of the day, those friction points are a drop in the bucket when compared to the vast amount of joyful escapism they provide in this otherwise hellish world. So we'll all keep supporting them indefinitely, because saving more money relative to other platform ecosystems is not at all worth the tradeoff of missing out on some of the few truly shining bright spots in a usually dreary existence.

Plus, compared to where we were ~15 years ago, current Nintendo hate is nothing. In fact, Nintendo was typically either flat-out ignored or treated like a company that was only suitable for children under age 10. That was exponentially more insufferable than the criticisms they face today. They're back on top and their tentpole first-party games are basically as good as they've ever been, so let the haters come; we're in Nintendo's second golden age for us diehards, and it's something we shouldn't take for granted.

Back
Top Bottom