• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nintendo hate still bums me out sometimes...

It can get draining especially with how social media is more geared towards hyperbole, outrage, and smug gottem quips. The best fix is really to take a day off as best you can get into why you enjoy games, share what you like about em, and give as fair a comment as your feeling

2. Nintendo being meanies regarding fan projects when 99% of the time they shut down something, it's due to copyright infringement. Sega only allow Sonic fan games because of how low Sonic is nowadays and frankly Sega are desperate for any goodwill they can get, IMO.
Not touching the other points but this is a pretty unsufferable way of defending this very annoying practice. Sega is not the only company that is cool with mods and fangames.

It's a really old tradition in the gaming industry and Nintendo IS the outlier here. They should be criticized for it.

Ehh, Nintendo has its share of boneheaded decisions that I have no trouble seeing why people don't love it.

I like Nintendo's output but let's not pretend people don't have reasons to drag them around.

Not touching the other points but this is a pretty unsufferable way of defending this very annoying practice. Sega is not the only company that is cool with mods and fangames.

It's a really old tradition in the gaming industry and Nintendo IS the outlier here. They should be criticized for it.
A lot of the time fans attempt remakes of Nintendo's own games, more infamously including AM2R. Nintendo were NEVER going to let that fly, and frankly I doubt anyone else would've either. You don't give people a free alternative to something a company owns using their IP. It's true there have been stuff from Sonic like this (that PC port of '06 and Sonic 2 HD... whatever's going with that anyway). But it seems to happen far more often with Nintendo fan projects. And I feel with Sonic, Sega want to forget '06 ever existed (bar Gens rep) and Sonic 2's everywhere at this point... and also again Sonic 2 HD feels like it's been in development hell for a decade, so I guess Sega's far from threatened by it.

Ehh, Nintendo has its share of boneheaded decisions that I have no trouble seeing why people don't love it.

I like Nintendo's output but let's not pretend people don't have reasons to drag them around.
I think Op and the majority of people here are saying criticizing just to criticize or moving goalpost. Criticizing shit ideas like the $50/80 Expansion Pass is all fine and dandy.

A lot of the time fans attempt remakes of Nintendo's own games, more infamously including AM2R. Nintendo were NEVER going to let that fly, and frankly I doubt anyone else would've either. You don't give people a free alternative to something a company owns using their IP. It`s true there have been stuff from Sonic like this (that PC port of `06 and Sonic 2 HD... whatever`s going with that anyway). But it seems to happen far more often with Nintendo fan projects. And I feel with Sonic, Sega want to forget `06 ever existed (bar Gens rep) and Sonic 2`s everywhere at this point... and also again Sonic 2 HD feels like it`s been in development hell for a decade, so I guess Sega`s far from threatened by it.

Surprisingly, companies actually do let it fly (Valve comes to mind, they officially let a Half-Life 1 fan remake get sold on Steam).

Funnily enough, I don't think AM2R would be as famous as it is today without the C&D. Streissand effect and all that.

A lot of the time fans attempt remakes of Nintendo's own games, more infamously including AM2R. Nintendo were NEVER going to let that fly, and frankly I doubt anyone else would've either. You don't give people a free alternative to something a company owns using their IP. It's true there have been stuff from Sonic like this (that PC port of '06 and Sonic 2 HD... whatever's going with that anyway). But it seems to happen far more often with Nintendo fan projects. And I feel with Sonic, Sega want to forget '06 ever existed (bar Gens rep) and Sonic 2's everywhere at this point... and also again Sonic 2 HD feels like it's been in development hell for a decade, so I guess Sega's far from threatened by it.
That sucks cause am2r is an amazing game I would even put it in my top 5 metroid games

I think Op and the majority of people here are saying criticizing just to criticize or moving goalpost. Criticizing shit ideas like the $50/80 Expansion Pass is all fine and dandy.
I don't think that criticism is unique to Nintendo.

While there is a lot of nonsensical console warring aimed towards the company's output, I can't blame people for not liking them. Nintendo has proved to be one of the most draconian and conservative companies in the video game industry. There is a reason why people compare them to Apple and Disney unfavorably.

I used to get annoyed by this when I was a teenager, but if anything now I kind of pity them. Firstly it shows that they are still quite juvenile and think anything bright/colourful is childish - and even if it is what's wrong with that? Are you insecure about your adulthood lol? Secondly anyone who knows shit about video games knows that Nintendo have made some of the greatest games of all time and it's not even up for debate amongst enthusiasts. So what does that say about them?

Surprisingly, companies actually do let it fly (Valve comes to mind, they officially let a Half-Life 1 fan remake get sold on Steam).

Funnily enough, I don't think AM2R would be as famous as it is today without the C&D. Streissand effect and all that.
Yep, I remembered Valve and Bethesda also being cool with fan stuff, mods from the latter more specifically.
That sucks cause am2r is an amazing game I would even put it in my top 5 metroid games
Oh for sure. Let me be clear that I'm not disputing its quality, only the legality of it. I know that it was a top-tier effort and definitely acknowledge it. Just a shame it wasn't put into something that could survive like an original IP.

I don't think that criticism is unique to Nintendo.
It isn't, for sure. But an example from last year, of course this isn't a monolith... "Nintendo is the greediest corporation ever". But on Twitter you could've seen people basically thanking Sony that they raised the prices of their software $10-24 depending on the region.

I think that's the point of the OP.

Edit: add to it that it was in the heart of the pandemic.

Negativity in general isnt that attractive, but its also the easiest way to get attention or reaction out of people.
Just have to try and move on from BS and realize its not worth it.

But why? At the end of the day, who cares? They’re just toys at the end of the day and we enjoy them and it’s not a big deal. My approach is, if I don’t like something, I’ll express my disappointment and then move on.

And many people here are focusing on business decisions from the company. Most of of are talking about their games. I can care less about the corporate part of the company. I have no financial stake. People seem to care way too much about that. Focus on the games. You enjoy them? Fine. You don’t? Also fine.

The one that frustrates me is "oh I didn't grow up with Nintendo so I can't get into them.", assuming nostalgia is the only reason people like Nintendo games.
This is the one that gets me. “You only like these games because of nostalgia!”

Yes, I do enjoy lots of retro stuff, but my enjoyment of current games has nothing to do with it. My love of Zelda did not influence my enjoyment of Xenoblade, for example.

For the record, I criticize Nintendo for several things. The things that bother me (and why I made this thread) are more when I find the reasons to be confounding, and from bad faith actors who aren't actually interested in Nintendo games, but just want to poo poo anyway.

Also I'm already no longer in that brain funk I was when I made this thread, and it helped to have people commiserate in here =)

It isn't, for sure. But an example from last year, of course this isn't a monolith... "Nintendo is the greediest corporation ever". But on Twitter you could've seen people basically thanking Sony that they raised the prices of their software $10-24 depending on the region.

Well, hyperbole will always be part of The Discourse™ . But it is also true that Nintendo is one the most, if not the most, conservative, protect-the-bottom-line gaming company. When you're a market leader, controversy will always follow no matter what decisions they take.

The kind of Nintendo hate that bothers me the most are the passive aggressive console warriors who won't admit their inherent biases and thus cannot have a constructive discussion - and seem to show up in Nintendo discussions just to troll. I hope that doesn't begin to start happening here.

I also have a PS5 and an XBSX. I do have many opinions on the market of video games - hence my Install Base account.

The only time I was happy to hear people trash Nintendo was at their stock market low, while I bought up lots of stock, prior to the release of the Switch.

Hasn't Sega prohibited links to the Streets of Rage 1 Remake?

Last edited:

You can find random people on Twitter praising or criticizing corporations for any reason. Whether it's Sony, Nintendo, whatever.

Companies make business moves that ensure their growth. Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft's pricing strategies are all reflections of their business practices and position in the market.

During the Wii days it pretty much built a Nintendo haters immunity to me. Just brush them off and go on with it and enjoy the games. Easier said than done I know.

The kind of Nintendo hate that bothers me the most are the passive aggressive console warriors who won't admit their inherent biases and thus cannot have a constructive discussion - and seem to show up in Nintendo discussions just to troll. I hope that doesn't begin to start happening here.
Yeah, I have a few friends who are very "fair-weather" when it comes to Nintendo and will quickly start slagging them off at every opportunity if it's been a month without a new game (and the only ones that count are their biggest first party IPs of course, new Mario or Zelda every few months please). Every company deserves critique and none are immune from criticism (I complain so much!), but it's often telling when people don't hold their preferred platform to the same standard or are silent on their missteps.

In general this is just something you have to sort of move past when there's no meaningful discussion to be had beyond platform warring and point scoring. If someone vehemently hates a thing I like...okay. I think the absurd part for me is when people expect you to put personal stock in defending toys and companies from their criticism otherwise they "win." In literally every case I either agree with the criticism or I don't care. It's very "so...what now?" I have better things to do and some conversations clearly have nowhere to go.

Even though they are my favorite company I don't care about people criticizing them.

And I also miss the time when their first party output had a more diverse age focus. It's difficult for me to see current Nintendo making a game like Majora's Mask.

There's only one thing that "annoys" me and it's when people say "oh I'm just not into Nintendo games anymore." Like how does that make any sense? It's like saying you're not into food anymore because you don't like tacos someone made.

The one thing that I really find annoying is how frequently the discussion around any new Nintendo game gets reduced to how it should really cost $10-$20 less. You see this with the new Pokémon remakes how all the discussion is just endlessly about if it’s “worth” the full cost. I think this is true of a lot of online video game discussion, it always revolves around some supposedly objective measure of a game’s “value” related to the cost and length of the game, instead of just discussing, ya know, the actual video game.

Then people take their issues with the cost and make it about how Nintendo is “anti-consumer” and it becomes a moral crusade. A video game being more expensive than you personally want it to be is not “anti-consumer”. Video games are a luxury product. If you don’t want to pay for them, or if you want to steal them, go ahead but it’s obnoxious when people act like it’s some valiant pushback against an evil corporation.

Maybe I am just privileged or don’t buy many video games each year, but I really don’t think the difference between $40 and $60 is so large that it warrants making the main point of discussion for a video game about if this luxury good is priced correctly.

Nintendo is a multi billion corporation so I feel nothing when people criticize it, valid reasons or not, or when people pirate their games. I like the games they make and have no problem paying “premium” prices for their software but recognize it’s not worth it for everyone. It’s not the GameCube era anymore either where they’re the underdog either, the Switch is the most popular Nintendo’s been in over a decade. There’s no actual social stigma to playing Nintendo games.

Spending years on /v/ is a good way to learn to not take criticism of your favorite video games personally, heh.
Oh there is definitely a social stigma to playing Nintendo games. I've encountered it many times. I tend to ignore it now but it totally exist as a way to separate real gamers from girly gamers.

When I was growing up, we only had a NES with the Mario/Duck Hunt game... for twelve years.

We would rent games like Ninja Turtles, Bubble Bobble, Trog, Double Dragon, what have you... but most Nintendo brands outside Mario were completely unknown to us, because if the little Mom and Pop rental store down the way didn't carry them, they didn't exist.

Our neighbor had a SEGA Genesis and then a Playstation, our aunt a Gameboy with Tetris, and of course arcade machines were still a thing you could enjoy in many public places, and eventually we got a home PC so I did play stuff that wasn't Oregon Trail and Carmen Sandiego, but to get to my overall point, I very much loved video games whenever and wherever I could play them, and I wasn't a fanboy of any brand or genre in particular. It was just games... games were so cool!

But some kids at school sure were fanboys. And as the internet became more well-trodden it was nothing but hotbed console warring on gaming topics. Real fun to read about when you can't even afford any of them in the first place lol.

Really though, it did used to bug me to read/hear these brand loyalty narratives because so many people would just dismiss entire swaths of gaming right off the bat and usually the person they were talking to in the same breath. "Eh, that's a 2D game... why would you want to play that?" "Wow, that game is for babies!" "What is this some Japanimation thing?" "Movie tie-ins are all hot garbage." "You like that game? That's a game for little girls what are you a @#$%?"

Well yeah, I am a @#$%, but more importantly, I just wanted to share about a game I thought looked really neat. :(

Some of that attitude has never gone away unfortunately and as folks have pointed out, it never will. Getting older you just start to filter these intentionally negative and dismissive people out. But I do understand the brain doing what it wants to and that sometimes you can't help dwelling on things you know are silly and don't matter and shouldn't bother you but do.

Luckily Famiboards is full of people who like all sorts of games whether indie, AAA, new, old, Nintendo or otherwise, so hopefully you don't encounter that energy too much here.

Well, hyperbole will always be part of The Discourse™ . But it is also true that Nintendo is one the most, if not the most, conservative, protect-the-bottom-line gaming company. When you're a market leader, controversy will always follow no matter what decisions they take.
And you’re absolutely correct, but with how volatile this industry can be and Nintendo primarily being a game aka toy company (unlike the others) who is wisely trying to dip into other forms of entertainment now, being conservative has been to much of their benefit more often than not.

Eh, I really don't get this line of thought. Nintendo takes more risks than pretty much anyone in the gaming industry. They don't have a conservative design philosophy at all. Sony and Microsoft play it safe way more often than Nintendo does. Nintendo just has a tendency for their risks to pay off, but that doesn't mean they aren't taking them.

As far as I’m concerned, people can shit on nintendo as much as they feel like. It is not like a billion dollar company will have its feelings hurt.

Of course console warrior nonsense is very real too, but it is just that. Nonsense.

What does get to me is when, in some online places, people start engaging in poorly veiled tribal shitflinging at dem “Nintendo fans”. That shit gets annoying very quick.

Last edited:
Hasn't Sega prohibited links to the Streets of Rage 1 Remake?
Yeah, that sucked then and it sucks now but at least they backed off. They have no problems with it nowadays. Actually, I think it's still getting updated? From a different team, but still

It's not even just Nintendo to me, it's everything in general. I'm so sick of all the negativity relating to hobbies online. Like, just let people enjoy things, goddamn. I really don't give a shit what you think about what I like.

Eh, I really don't get this line of thought. Nintendo takes more risks than pretty much anyone in the gaming industry. They don't have a conservative design philosophy at all. Sony and Microsoft play it safe way more often than Nintendo does. Nintendo just has a tendency for their risks to pay off, but that doesn't mean they aren't taking them.
I guess I'm referring more to the business side of things which seems what many people have strong opinions on.

Corporations aren't your friend but console/platform wars are puerile and childish. To see grown adults engage in it is embarrassing. Just let people enjoy things.

I guess I'm referring more to the business side of things which seems what many people have strong opinions on.
Well what does that actually mean? The design of the Wii and DS were business decisions that held the fate of the entire company. The business side has to approve what the creative side is doing. Can you give examples of what you mean?

This is generally the issue I have with people hating Nintendo (not saying you're doing this) but there seems to be this narrative that Nintendo is this super conservative company that isn't really backed up by anything? Same with the narrative that Nintendo is the most expensive company. People will take something like the Skyward Sword remaster and use that one example to frame an entire narrative that Nintendo overprices everything. Ignoring that they have the least expensive consoles, the cheapest services and the least amount of in-game storefront/microtransactions.

I don't mind legit criticism but I do think these broad narratives need to be backed up by something more than 'that one time Nintendo did something I don't like'

Same with the narrative that Nintendo is the most expensive company.
As a Mexican, Nintendo IS the most expensive company I buy games from. I (and all of LATAM tbh) have been paying premium prices for decades as Nintendo uses a middleman to sell their stuff here, and they don't seem to be very bothered about it. Game prices almost reached 100 USD two years ago because of that.

Well what does that actually mean? The design of the Wii and DS were business decisions that held the fate of the entire company. The business side has to approve what the creative side is doing. Can you give examples of what you mean?
Treating their old catalogue as if it were solid gold and pricing it expensively is one the things I really dislike about them (like that NSO sub stuff, plus many instances of it in the past), and even then, dripfeeding them despite promising to 'add stuff periodically'.
The fact that they just repair the drifting Joycons instead of making them durable, which is nice if you live in the US but everyone else is SOL.

As a Mexican, Nintendo IS the most expensive company I buy games from. I (and all of LATAM tbh) have been paying premium prices for decades as Nintendo uses a middleman to sell their stuff here, and they don't seem to be very bothered about it. Game prices almost reached 100 USD two years ago because of that.

Treating their old catalogue as if it were solid gold and pricing it expensively is one the things I really dislike about them (like that NSO sub stuff, plus many instances of it in the past), and even then, dripfeeding them despite promising to 'add stuff periodically'.
The fact that they just repair the drifting Joycons instead of making them durable, which is nice if you live in the US but everyone else is SOL.
Fair on the first point, though I was speaking broadly there. You have a legit example, most people...don't. Most people use American examples with US prices.

As for the second point, we have a pretty different idea of what a conservative business practice is. Joycon drift is a bad business practice. They designed faulty hardware and haven't dealt with it properly. Conservative business practices would imply that Nintendo doesn't take risks and just plays it safe all the time. Your examples are just things you don't like. It's still perfectly fine to take issue with that stuff though.

Maybe other companies being good sports makes Nintendo look like curmudgeons, but I have a hard time being sympathetic those who would rip off someone else's creative work (regardless of how good that ripoff may be) and then act like they're the poor victims when the creators take issue with their creation being usurped.

Every time I hear someone complaining about Nintendo being defensive of their IP, I think of that scene in Guardians of the Galaxy where Rocket Raccoon is trying to explain to John C Reilly why it's okay to steal things ("But what if I really want it?")

It's amateurish hate tbh. It's like when I saw someone say Adele sucks. As an amateur musician, she's probably in the 1% of talented singers, and I totally get not liking someone's content. However, to say they outright "suck" means you don't know music, simple as that.

Nintendo is good at what they do, however they do deserve a lot of the criticism. However, I will say that some of the hate is just stupid and lacks any nuance. You really gonna say the company that made Super Mario Bros or put Pokemon 2nd gen on Gameboy as something that sucks? Get a little perspective.

What are ya'll doing here instead of RE?

Did you get bullied off the forum by a Sony mod? Fanboyism is appalling and I've seen it from reviewers, mods all the way to game devs.

In Brazil pretty much everyone says Nintendo games have to be pirated because of the company, and that bums me out a little bit. A loud majority online really hates Nintendo, specially on social media (Facebook/Twitter). I’ve seen people rank Nintendo as worse than EA, Ubisoft, TakeTwo, etc.
Outlets don't like Nintendo here in Brazil because they dont get free stuff from the company and because in general Nintendo doesn't care for the country. So these people from the media just don't cover Nintendo games or are super critic about it.

I just stopped consuming almost anything from Brazil, the only podcasts i listen to is the Jogabilidade and the Overloadr because they have members of their team that understand the company and their philosophy.

At the end of the day, it’s just a hobby. And as was pointed out, the constant negativity over everything - not just Nintendo - gets tiring. It’s a hobby. Suppose to be fun. That’s it.

It’s one thing to be disappointed in something and express it as an adult, and to be critical of something and express it as an adult - and then there is just snark, drive by posts, insults, and rage over meaningless crap.

Look at the thread on the NSO Expansion on this forums. It’s safe to say we are not happy about the lack of a middle tier and the price. Many of us have shared our disappointment and have been rightfully critical. But look how the discussion is happening in that thread - without hostility towards one another and with the way we expect adults to talk about things and compare to other places. It’s embarrassing and for fuck sake, my 11 year old doesn’t even act like that. I’m annoyed at the price increase with only two new consoles added and I rather buy the DLC and have a middle tier. So I just say, if it’s not worth it, don’t buy it. No one is forcing and I personally feel the cheap 20 a year plan is actually a good value for myself. The higher tier? It’s not for me personally. So unless everyone in my family plan wants to throw in 10 bucks, I’ll pass.

Not everything has to be a fight. When I’m disappointed in something I express and move on and hope some positive changes or growth will happen.

Sometimes I feel people would just rather be miserable and not enjoy your hobby.

I honestly don’t see it as much anymore. I’m a die hard Nintendo fan. I purchase all of their consoles and have since they first released. The issue I see as a fan is it’s hard to hold them accountable. As soon as you say Nintendo you have to do better people lable you as a hater. For me that’s far from the truth.

bf1.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom