• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Nintendo has done everything in its power to make Metroid successful. The (morph) ball is in the market's court now

Hero of Hyrule

Frieren the Slayer
Pronouns
He/Him
Metroid Dread is here, and while it remains to be seen how it will do, at this point I think we must at the very least confess that Nintendo have done everything in their power to make Metroid the big hit the series should perhaps always have been but has never gotten to be:

• Making a new one
  • Making a new good one
  • Giving it a hell of a concerted marketing push
  • Putting it on a system where there is an actual install base and audience for this kind of game
  • Even associating it with the launch of a new flagship hardware model
In the past, Metroid has underperformed, but every single time you could point to some or the other extenuating circumstance to explain that - coming on a system with poor install base (Metroid Prime, Prime 2); coming on a system where the audience type doesn't match the kind of game Metroid is (Prime 3); coming out on a system when it is in decline and/or successor systems are already announced/out (Super, Zero Mission, Samus Returns); or just flat out making a poorly received game (Other M).

I sincerely hope Dread is the breakout moment this series needs - early indications are really encouraging! But at this point, the ball is entirely in the market's court. Nintendo have done their part now - above and beyond, to be honest.

Let's just hope the market responds.

Yeah, I don't think anyone can accuse Nintendo of not giving Metroid the Silver Plate treatment this time around. All early indications for the game to succeed have been great, too. I think we're going to see something special here.

Hopefully it sells so well at launch Nintendo gives a PR about it by monday, if not, at least either a week or a few weeks after launch, otherwise we'd need to wait until their quarterly report.

Yeah, sadly if this game fails there's no easy answer for why. It's a traditional 2D Metroid sequel with high critical praise, big fan demand, huge marketing from Nintendo, and on an incredibly healthy platform with a big core audience. All the stars have aligned for this game.

I'm thinking this will be a very frontloaded game given the core interest and high preorder count. So when the holiday quarter results are given in early February, we should have a good measure of the game's success.

What intrigues me is how this changes Nintendo's approach to marketing going forward. Going into E3, Nintendo was missing a big October holiday title (the other being Pokemon), and I expected them to announce a new game, a Zelda port, something to fill that space. With this amount of marketing, Nintendo thinks they can make that level of return on a Metroid game, that the appeal of the Switch hardware is enough to elevate Metroid to blockbuster sales.

If Metroid can do that, F-Zero can too. Star Fox can sell. Earthbound, Donkey Kong, Punch Out. I'm expecting Metroid to sell well and change how Nintendo markets everything from here on out.

I agree this is likely the best chance the metroid series has to be a success without being able to make up excuses for why it didn’t do well. But that said folks shouldn’t put too much unnecessary pressure on dread or upcoming releases to “breakout” or be a “huge success”. I am pretty sure we had an insider say nintendo considered even samus returns a success both critically and financially, we have rumors potentially of metroid titles in 2022 and 2023.

The best that can be said is it’s good nintendo is showing metroid love but also for us the “market” just enjoy this game that’s coming out if it’s your thing , if it’s not your thing don’t feel pressured to get it , if you wanna take part in the current hype for the new game that’s great too.

Last edited:
Hopefully most of the Metroid fanbase will actually buy it this time (I'm still salty about how many people skipped Samus Returns).

Let's do this, everyone! For Samus!

tumblr_pz74id1vMP1tvd0koo1_640.gif

I’m doing my part!

I would say this is its best shot yet, but I wouldnt say it’s “now or never” given Prime has much more general appeal than 2D Metroid.

which is great that Metroid will get multiple shots on Switch!

I still do think Dread will sell really well.

Last edited:
Can sell? Sure. But F-Zero would never be put in this position.
I unfortunately agree that a new F-Zero isn't top priority right now. But if we somehow get one, I expect high production values and a big marketing budget. I think we're going to see series approached from a different angle. The Wii U got several smaller releases that were tossed out the door without fanfare. If they put cutscenes in 2D Metroid, they're clearly understanding the appeal of already having marketable scenes. Kid Icarus is a prime candidate to sell 10 million with a good trailer.

Didn't make Zero Mission, Metroid II/Samus Returns and Fusion playable on Switch tho.

In all seriousness, it's nice to see them put this much effort and marketing power behind Metroid. As always, I'm of the opinion that series shouldn't be put in a situation like this in the first place.

I think you're absolutely right, and that Nintendo has put more than commendable efforts behind the launch of Metroid Dread.

However... Metroid will probably always remain the odd one out, at least to a certain extent. I've come to accept that. Metroid isn't "cute", kid friendly, or even adventurous in the lighthearted way Mario and Zelda are, and a decent sized chunk of their audience really do place importance on those things.

I mean, look at stuff like this:
Notice anyone missing? I think Nintendo doesn't believe an armor-clad space warrior fits their image very well. Maybe that'll change in the future. We'll see.

I feel if we always try to compare metroid to what are nintendo’s biggest 4/5 franchises in terms of sales and mainstream branding it will always lose out . But they still see it as a flagship series, with notable acclaim and are happy with its place in their portfolio.

I really hope this is Metroid's breakout moment but I'm not too worried actually, I'm really convinced Dread is going to sell at least as well as Nintendo expects, and maybe more. The hype is there, the reception, the marketing... I can't see this going bad.

I think you're absolutely right, and that Nintendo has put more than commendable efforts behind the launch of Metroid Dread.

However... Metroid will probably always remain the odd one out, at least to a certain extent. I've come to accept that. Metroid isn't "cute", kid friendly, or even adventurous in the lighthearted way Mario and Zelda are, and a decent sized chunk of their audience really do place importance on those things.

I mean, look at stuff like this:

Notice anyone missing? I think Nintendo doesn't believe an armor-clad space warrior fits their image very well. Maybe that'll change in the future. We'll see.
I still remember I think on GAF, in the announcement thread for Super Nintendo Land someone said they hope there’s a Metroid attraction, and someone else quoted and said “just hope for a Samus keychain in the corner of the gift shop at this point” lmaooo

I love the series but I laughed out loud

Know I'm wondering what Nintendo's expectations for this game even are. Like, Samus Returns apparently didn't even break a million, and yet it did well enough that Nintendo was cool with making Dread.
Yeah. And Sakamoto already has his ideas where to take the next Metroid game. This is being overblown by fans.

Know I'm wondering what Nintendo's expectations for this game even are. Like, Samus Returns apparently didn't even break a million, and yet it did well enough that Nintendo was cool with making Dread.
Returns also barely got any advertising though, so their expectations for it were probably ground level

Dread clearly has more weight of marketing behind it so their expectations are probably also higher. That being said, they're still probably lower than fans'. I think if the game sells 1-2 mil they'd probably still consider it a success.

Returns also barely got any advertising though, so their expectations for it were probably ground level

Dread clearly has more weight of marketing behind it so their expectations are probably also higher. That being said, they're still probably lower than fans'. I think if the game sells 1-2 mil they'd probably still consider it a success.
I'm getting that feeling, yeah. And hey, I don't doubt this game will cross the 1-2 mil threshold, so Nintendo should be satisfied.

Still though, let's get this game past the 3-5 mark!

This deserves to sell more copies than there are Switches like BOTW did around launch.

And yes I know that means 90M+

This deserves to sell more copies than there are Switches like BOTW did around launch.

And yes I know that means 90M+
Metroid Dread becomes the best selling game of all time let's go

Edit: I know that isn't enough to become the best-selling game of all time, I'm just upping the stakes

Metroid Dread becomes the best selling game of all time let's go

Edit: I know that isn't enough to become the best-selling game of all time, I'm just upping the stakes
We keep making predictions like this and Tbone might finally join us.

What intrigues me is how this changes Nintendo's approach to marketing going forward. Going into E3, Nintendo was missing a big October holiday title (the other being Pokemon), and I expected them to announce a new game, a Zelda port, something to fill that space. With this amount of marketing, Nintendo thinks they can make that level of return on a Metroid game, that the appeal of the Switch hardware is enough to elevate Metroid to blockbuster sales.

If Metroid can do that, F-Zero can too. Star Fox can sell. Earthbound, Donkey Kong, Punch Out. I'm expecting Metroid to sell well and change how Nintendo markets everything from here on out.

I love F-Zero, but it has two hurdles. Sure, the series has had declining sales, but there are two factors here:

1, it is an arcade racer and unfortunately, while I love those type of racers best, that genre just does not seem to do as well anymore

2, the game is brutally unforgiving with a steep learning curve. Something fans of the series love, but it is a road block for casual audiences IMO. They can make it a lot easier, but then the fans will not be happy.

Yeah. And Sakamoto already has his ideas where to take the next Metroid game. This is being overblown by fans.
Sakamoto having plans for future games in the series means nothing if the series does poorly enough to not justify continued investment. Around when Other M was coming out, he explicitly said he has plans for further games of that style with Team Ninja, and that he sees a bright future for the series, with Team Ninja as a partner.

That didn't bear out, because Other M underperformed pretty severely.

Sakamoto having plans for future games means that if this one does well, he has material to continue. It doesn't mean that the series is immune from another prolonged hiatus if it underperforms again.

1, it is an arcade racer and unfortunately, while I love those type of racers best, that genre just does not seem to do as well anymore
It's a shame because Nintendo has so many IPs in the racing genre: Wave Race, Excitetruck/bike, F-Zero, 1080 Snowboarding, Stunt Race FX.

I'm glad we still got a new Cruis'n game at least.

Come on Switch.

Give Metroid that sales boost like many other releases as well
Switch be like "no, I gave my word to Knockout Home Fitness which is coming out tomorrow too" lol

For real though, the amount of attention Nintendo has given Dread in its promotion is practically all they can do. The game, from the looks of it, deserves all the sales it can get imo.

It's a shame because Nintendo has so many IPs in the racing genre: Wave Race, Excitetruck/bike, F-Zero, 1080 Snowboarding, Stunt Race FX.

I'm glad we still got a new Cruis'n game at least.
Right? I would love a new Excite game. Excitebike 64 was doing Rocket League before Rocket League.

I love F-Zero, but it has two hurdles. Sure, the series has had declining sales, but there are two factors here:

2, the game is brutally unforgiving with a steep learning curve. Something fans of the series love, but it is a road block for casual audiences IMO. They can make it a lot easier, but then the fans will not be happy.
Naturally I'm still dreaming of a complete Yakuza-style makeover for F-Zero like everyone else...

But I think something as small as a visual novel overlay of character portraits talking (Fire Emblem or Persona style) to each other in arcade mode would be enough story to draw in a broader crowd. Maybe include an EXP mechanic where people who aren't as skilled can upgrade the stats of their vehicle. There's potential, I think, for F-Zero to sell much better with minimal changes. Maybe I'm wildly off base. Maybe Nintendo should release a new F-Zero and prove I'm a fraud.

Naturally I'm still dreaming of a complete Yakuza-style makeover for F-Zero like everyone else...

But I think something as small as a visual novel overlay of character portraits talking (Fire Emblem or Persona style) to each other in arcade mode would be enough story to draw in a broader crowd. Maybe include an EXP mechanic where people who aren't as skilled can upgrade the stats of their vehicle. There's potential, I think, for F-Zero to sell much better with minimal changes. Maybe I'm wildly off base. Maybe Nintendo should release a new F-Zero and prove I'm a fraud.

That's funny, I had the same thought. I had a daydream where it was a cyberpunk dive bar with all the rogues and bounty hunters just hanging around and you can interact with the patrons or get missions from the bar tender or riff raff for a story mode. And it was all in graphic novel style using the designs from the art from the N64 version lol

What you are writing with a proper story and all kinds of smaller side mission races, man, that would be glorious!

Mario Party Superstars alongside Pokemon (like you mentioned) is what will carry the Switch heavily for this holiday, obviously that doesn't mean Nintendo expects Metroid Dread to underperform but those two games guarantee good software sales regardless.

And this is without mentioning Arceus Legends which is still part of their fiscal year and is probably gonna sell well too.

Nintendo probably really wanna push Metroid this hard because it is in a pretty unique setting (action horror sci-fi) compared to their other franchises which is quite valuable if Metroid as a brand becomes more and more popular with Dread and then MP4 (and the rumored MP1 Remake).

Anybody who doesn't buy Metroid Dread that is in this community will be banned by the powers vested in me.

I wanna finish a couple of games before buying it, but I will be hopping on the the dread train for sure.

As I already said elsewhere: I feel pretty confident in Dread surpassing Metroid Prime and becoming the best-selling Metroid game ever; what I'm even more curious about is how long it'll take to do so.

It definitely has the potential to be the best selling entry and the market has changed a lot since the early days of the franchise (not to mention it doesn't have the Samus Returns disadvantage of launching on a dead system).

Still saying that 3 millions would be a great success already.

Back
Top Bottom