• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion Thread |ST11 Aug 2022| Everybody's 11-12 Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Transatlantic journey over and done with. Now the super fun waiting game to see how much my nervous system malfunctions tonight when I try sleep woop woop

Gonna get hummus and tasty bread though and I'm up to season 7 of the Simpsons because I knew I'd need a pick me up tonight.

Someone over on era said that Octo Expansion is the best single player game Nintendo has ever made. I’ve never played it so obviously I don’t know, but that sounds ridiculous.

So Fam, Octo Expansion > BotW? Or nah
Nah. Nah. Nahhhh. Not even close.

Someone over on era said that Octo Expansion is the best single player game Nintendo has ever made. I’ve never played it so obviously I don’t know, but that sounds ridiculous.

If you're a shooter fan, I can buy that opinion. Assuming you're up for a more challenging campaign, it's extremely well made on multiple fronts - excellently executed structure, well constructed level design, an enjoyable story on both a character and worldbulding perspective, fantastic presentation, the strong mechanics of Splatoon 2, and an extremely exciting final stretch, might be one of Nintendo's best.

But, like, for the grand majority of people, it's not gonna be better than BotW or Mario Odyssey or something like that. I get the opinion even if I don't agree. It's going for something else other than BotW, it scratches a totally different itch.

man, I'm making Octo Expansion sound like Tropical Freeze or something...

Last edited:

Never played it either but it doesn't hold a candle to Geist but actually Eternal Darkness

Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles Remastered got a lot of fairly deserved shit, but fuck me if I don't still love the game. It's sad to revisit it and see the online lobbies so barren.

So I saw the Part One finale of Alchemy of Souls. It ended on a very happy note, as expected.

It looks like the characters are going EmoEdgyGoth for Part Two, so that's cool.

oh!!! and the best thing for the glitchiest bullshit you can imagine, prime for chopping and turning into Simpler waves:

feed PSDs as raw sound data into Audacity

no joke I used a PDF of student loan paperwork in my university application portfolio

and I got the fuckin’ grant
Thanks for the reply. This is all so fascinating! My approach tends to be very traditional for the most part, just using straight old sample libraries or live instruments as they are. I had a few classes last year on sound design and experimental composition and they made me realise how many weird avenues you can go down and how much of an art (or sheer accidents) it is that goes into creating just a single sound sometimes. Definitely wanna delve deeper into the sound design side of things in future. Started exploring the madness that is creating your own instruments in Max for Live and then using session-wide macros in Ableton and it got all very daunting very quickly 😅

Knocked out another 2 minis at my FLGS’s maker day. So here's some pics of Avalanche and Sinister. I do regret not basing Avalanche in silver instead of the blue but overall they turned out pretty well…. Yeah I couldn't do any better on that face

IMG_5661.jpg

IMG_5662.jpg

IMG_5663.jpg

IMG_5664.jpg

Black on white is such a pain to deal with. Pretty happy overall. Glad to be making consistent progress

Now then, since I got a groove going on it yesterday I think it’s time for more FEWTH. I’ll start Xenoblade tomorrow. Should be a hot but quiet week

Ended up playing Mario Kart on my hot spot. Had a few communication errors but got five races with zero issues back to back. Had one race I was doing so good and I was second place right at the end then it was chaos and I got red shelled and got stuck at last at the last second. Is Mario kart online always this crazy?
This is every time I play Mario Kart online. I now just use it as my social game to play with friends as we talk about random nerd things
direct hopes and dreams mostly

No but it is easily top 5. It is so good.

I actually really didn't like the Octo Expansion.

Ended up playing Mario Kart on my hot spot. Had a few communication errors but got five races with zero issues back to back. Had one race I was doing so good and I was second place right at the end then it was chaos and I got red shelled and got stuck at last at the last second. Is Mario kart online always this crazy?
I haven’t played MK8 online in a while, but I never had much trouble winning races. There was the occasional race where I got item spammed - it is Mario Kart after all - but I’d say most of the time I was finishing P1 or P2. I think driving skill can overcome item spam a lot of the time.

I watched a video about unconventional ways to play SNES games, and one way was for Super Mario RPG. When you start a new game and get to Mario's Pad, save, and then see how far you can get into the game without saving again. If/when you die, you go back to Mario's Pad, but you still have all your stats and equipment. Depending on how far into the game you got before you died, you can be EXTREMELY overpowered for the early game.

wait, do people really consider breath of the wild nintendo's best single player game?
Many people consider it their best game overall so by default, yeah.

I'm not sure I'd consider it #1 when Galaxy exists but I think it's a very valid choice.

Holy crap, the mentoring program I work in has won the Excellence in Promoting Disability Pride award at the 2022 Victorian Disability Awards! :oops:

I feel so humbled and privileged to be part of this team.

Speaking as someone disabled, it's been a very long journey finding self-acceptance and ultimately learning to believe in myself. Hopefully what we do makes that path easier for those who follow.

wait, do people really consider breath of the wild nintendo's best single player game?
I’m sure a lot of people do. But I just threw out botw as a comparison for maximum lols cause I don’t care how good Octo expansion is, it’s not a better single player experience than BotW

Holy crap, the mentoring program I work in has won the Excellence in Promoting Disability Pride award at the 2022 Victorian Disability Awards! :oops:

Speaking as someone disabled, it's been a very long journey finding self-acceptance and ultimately learning to believe in myself. Hopefully what we do makes that path easier for those who follow.
A mentoring program?

Frankly, I may need something like it as I'm currently coming to grips with my own neurodivergency or neurodivergence or whatever you call it.

Is that what this is about? Helping neurodivergent peoples?

A mentoring program?

Frankly, I may need something like it as I'm currently coming to grips with my own neurodivergency or neurodivergence or whatever you call it.

Is that what this is about? Helping neurodivergent peoples?
The program is currently a school age one where we run weekly mentoring sessions for autistic kids helping teach them about autism and develop their self confidence, pride in terms and their neurodiversity, life skills, etc.

That said, I for one feel there is a huge need for this kind of peer support for neurodiverse adults as well, so if there is anything I can ever help you with feel free to let me know and I'll help however I can. :)

IT'S HAPPENING ISN'T IT.
Yeah I think this is Google misinterpreting the date.

They’d never do a direct on a Friday (Sept 2 is a Friday)

Isn't Tee American? 4 days from now (Sunday for him.) is a Thursday.

The date thing is obviously wrong, that's just the February Direct date in American (read: wrong) date format. But the fact it says 4 days from now?

The fact that 4 days from now DOESN'T line up with the date is more interesting than if it did, or we could just put this down to a parsing error.

Also of note, 4 titles with unknown are going down for maintenance on the 30th.

The 1st having a direct lines up with that if these are games which can be pre-ordered, downloaded or preloaded immediately upon the direct ending.

The 1st having a direct lines up with that if these are games which can be pre-ordered, downloaded or preloaded immediately upon the direct ending.

HMMM… I wonder if some (or all!) of these might be new Nintendo Switch Online apps… We know Game Boy is coming, and there’d be two apps for the different regions, so that would fill two of those IDs, and if Game Boy Color is gonna have its own app—or if we’re getting Game Boy Advance already for Expansion Pack owners at the same time—then that’d cover all four!

Well one of these has to be Silksong, right? /s

Please Team Cherry it's a really good spot for a release. For me, at least

Good lord. This bottle of ice tea has 80% of the recommended daily sugar amount in it. It's impossible to find decent choice of ice tea in this country that isn't filled with diabetes. Even the "diet" green tea at Wawa is loaded with sugar.

I needed news like this today!

Good lord. This bottle of ice tea has 80% of the recommended daily sugar amount in it. It's impossible to find decent choice of ice tea in this country that isn't filled with diabetes. Even the "diet" green tea at Wawa is loaded with sugar.
Just make your own? Bottled iced tea is absolutely crammed with sugar. And then you see things like “extra sweet” or “extra extra sweet” and think, isn’t the touch of sweetness one sugary enough?

Just make your own? Bottled iced tea is absolutely crammed with sugar. And then you see things like “extra sweet” or “extra extra sweet” and think, isn’t the touch of sweetness one sugary enough?

The problem is, it's past 11pm, it takes time to brew the tea and cool it down and Wawa is literally the next block over

Yes. Maybe it doesnt have the greatest story, but in terms of pure gameplay everything is there.
Even there, while the story that happens in the time of the game itself is a bit lacking (especially IMO how short the ending is even with the extra scene), for me if you count story as the lore and background of everything that happened 100 years ago and how you piece all that together it's one of my favorite Nintendo stories of all time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom