• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blippi creeps me the heck out but Cocomelon is good if you really need to turn yours and your kids brains off for a minute.
I’ll have to try cocomelon some day. I argued with my wife for a long time about not letting her let our son watch blippi. I ended up going on her YouTube account and blocking every channel that shows blippi. We have been blippi free for about two months and it’s a lot better hah.

I’ll have to try cocomelon some day. I argued with my wife for a long time about not letting her let our son watch blippi. I ended up going on her YouTube account and blocking every channel that shows blippi. We have been blippi free for about two months and it’s a lot better hah.
Get your son into Octonauts, legitimately great show. Very educational too.

Is it actually at “ridiculous levels” or is this just Zelda dev time being Zelda dev time (when it’s not MM)?
Even accounting for Covid it's extremely long. As Blue Monty says, this was supposed to be a game that builds on BotW1.

Hit the credits on Dread. Not sure what's next; sure would've been a good time for my missing Xbox to turn up.

I was planning a Golden Route run on Triangle Strategy, and also have 13 Sentinels. Might make sense for me to do Triangle Strategy again - familiar things are easier to deal with when fatigue is constant.

Finally got a fully sunny day all day today after a week of clouds and rain on vacation in NC. Looks like the next week is all sun minus some night showers, which is fine by me. Can't wait.

Also, I just recently guested on my friend's podcast where we discussed my top 10 movies of all time! In case anyone is curious, my top 10 went:

10. Scream
9. Parasite
8. Whiplash
7. The Thing
6. Goodfellas
5. The Social Network
4. Inglourious Basterds
3. The Shawshank Redemption
2. The Lord of the Rings (if I had to pick one, I'd go RotK)
1. Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Mulling it over a few weeks after the podcast, I would now revise my top 10 to reflect the below. I still have the same amount of love for Scream and The Thing as ever, and the former might be the movie I've watched the most in my lifetime, but I'm going with my heart on this one.

10. Spider-Man 2
9. Parasite
8. Whiplash
7. 12 Angry Men
6. Goodfellas
5. The Social Network
4. Inglourious Basterds
2. LotR

Honorable mentions: Scream, The Thing, Before Sunrise/Sunset, Rear Window, Raging Bull, Zodiac, Se7en, Ikiru, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Silence of the Lambs

Nintendo should collaborate with Mistwalker again, SE has shown to not be reliable when it comes to JRPGs outside of DQ/Team Asano ones and other big JRPG publishers have issues lately with releasing games in a consistent way and BNS/Sega are skipping the Switch. Another Mistalkwer title but now releasing in a popular platform for JRPGs and not when a platform is dead could do numbers. They have also shown that they still got quality with Fantasian, imagine what they could do with Nintendo funding again.
(there is never enough JRPGs by Nintendo before someone says that 😠 )
Fantasian had a few key people from AlphaDream involved, like Chihiro Fujioka (Mario RPG's director), so we kind of already know what they can do with Nintendo's funding. But we also know what happened to AD...

Fantasian had a few key people from AlphaDream involved, like Chihiro Fujioka (Mario RPG's director), so we kind of already know what they can do with Nintendo's funding. But we also know what happened to AD...
AlphaDream sadly just couldn't make the HD jump, that's why Nintendo didn't try to save them :(

Slightly tipsy tonight, but my club escaped the relegation playoffs and stays in the Bundesliga for another season, so that's okay.

Blippi creeps me the heck out but Cocomelon is good if you really need to turn yours and your kids brains off for a minute.
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Finally got a fully sunny day all day today after a week of clouds and rain on vacation in NC. Looks like the next week is all sun minus some night showers, which is fine by me. Can't wait.

Also, I just recently guested on my friend's podcast where we discussed my top 10 movies of all time! In case anyone is curious, my top 10 went:

10. Scream
9. Parasite
8. Whiplash
7. The Thing
6. Goodfellas
5. The Social Network
4. Inglourious Basterds

Mulling it over a few weeks after the podcast, I would now revise my top 10 to reflect the below. I still have the same amount of love for Scream and The Thing as ever, and the former might be the movie I've watched the most in my lifetime, but I'm going with my heart on this one.

10. Spider-Man 2
9. Parasite
8. Whiplash
7. 12 Angry Men
6. Goodfellas
5. The Social Network
4. Inglourious Basterds
2. LotR

Honorable mentions: Scream, The Thing, Before Sunrise/Sunset, Rear Window, Raging Bull, Zodiac, Se7en, Ikiru, Portrait of a Lady on Fire, The Silence of the Lambs
Top ten films?

Geez that’s hard, I feel like my mood would change the list every few months lol. But here is are mine after putting some thought in as well 🤗

1. Memento
2. Heat
3. Rocky
4. Paths of Glory
5. The Truman Show
6. Graves of the Fireflies
7. Ratatouille
8. Salaam Bombay
9. There Will Be Blood
10. Kill Bill

Geez. That was hard. No Shawshank, Godfather, The Thing, The Prestige. Damn I feel ask me next month and the 4-10 might change lol.

Memento tho is locked as my favorite film, just floored by it when I saw it years ago and got me into critical thinking for film and love for all the technical sides of it.

This movie talk reminded me that I still have to wait another month to catch Everything Everywhere All at Once at the cinema, meanwhile this tweet isn't even an exaggeration

I played 2 then 4, and last year finished 1. And man what happen to the writing. 1 had a sense of danger and wholesomeness with good character dev that fit the game. 2 was more school based but was nice. While 4 had some good character it was full of harassment jokes, too many anime tropes, some awful char dev and the writing was all over the place.
Yeah. The writing difference between 1 and 4 is shocking. The games were years apart, yes. But the maturity levels dropped off big time. The leads are rather unlikable at the moment. One of them being a horrible person and is brushed off almost every scene.

The game also gave everyone a unique trait but it really goes against the tone of the game. But I can see why tho as VC1 was a random unit while here is a set character. The game really needs adult mature personalities like the first where veterans were also main characters, here is all typical young adults who still act like kids. Such a weird tone if the first couple chapters I’ve beaten and it’s really disappointing. Especially the villains I’ve seen so far, cartoonish as hell

Top ten films?

Geez that’s hard, I feel like my mood would change the list every few months lol. But here is are mine after putting some thought in as well 🤗

1. Memento
2. Heat
3. Rocky
4. Paths of Glory
5. The Truman Show
7. Ratatouille
8. Salaam Bombay
9. There Will Be Blood
10. Kill Bill

Geez. That was hard. No Shawshank, Godfather, The Thing, The Prestige. Damn I feel ask me next month and the 4-10 might change lol.

Memento tho is locked as my favorite film, just floored by it when I saw it years ago and got me into critical thinking for film and love for all the technical sides of it.
Great list! Paths of Glory is such an underappreciated Kubrick, I watched it for the first time maybe a year ago and was floored. There Will Be Blood almost made my list as well. I'm actually planning on rewatching Heat during this vacation, as I've only seen it once and thought it was a masterpiece upon first viewing. Come to find out that my 3rd cousins (identical twins) took turns playing Ashley Judd and Val Kilmer's baby in the movie!

Any reason not to nuke my save data for Splatoon 2?

I played it for like 5 hours at launch and I want to go back and properly play it and then do the Octo Expansion and I figure it’s easier to just start fresh.

Would it have imported anything from Splatoon 1 or was there launch bonuses so I’d have exclusive cosmetic items or something on the save?

Blippi > Cocomelon

The real Hell is Truck Tunes. Be glad you’ve never stumbled onto it.

Honestly, after playing several games online in mario party superstars i can say with certainty jesus christ not being able to talk in this kinda game REALLY SUCKS.

It makes everything so boring!

Apparently i cant talk even with friends??? Why nintendo

Honestly, after playing several games online in mario party superstars i can say with certainty jesus christ not being able to talk in this kinda game REALLY SUCKS.

It makes everything so boring!

Apparently i cant talk even with friends??? Why nintendo
Someone might say a swear and then the kiddos will turn to a life of crime.

Lots of talk of kids’ shows in this thread this evening and not one of y’all mentioned any shows I worked on smdh

I played 2 then 4, and last year finished 1. And man what happen to the writing. 1 had a sense of danger and wholesomeness with good character dev that fit the game. 2 was more school based but was nice. While 4 had some good character it was full of harassment jokes, too many anime tropes, some awful char dev and the writing was all over the place.
I have... thoughts on this. Maybe it's because I played 4 before 1, and I know it's not the most popular opinion, but I liked pretty much everything about VC4 more than VC1. Even the plot and characters. Yes, VC1 is tighter, more grounded, and a more personal story for those characters, and the writing in VC4 is more variable and doesn't always work as well, but it resonated with me a lot more. Sure there's stuff like Raz, where they clearly tried WAY too hard to make him unlikeable near the beginning so that they could give him a growth arc later in the game and they went overboard, and there's more anime tropes and such. But they really went for it with VC4, especially as the game goes on (I think the second half is far better than the first half) and even if not everything works they really swung for the fences in scope, stakes, and so many other things, and that hit with me. Could just be that it fits my tastes more, as I tend to like stories that are bigger, have higher stakes, tons of insane reveals and twists, etc., more than smaller and more personal stories that have less going on. I found VC1 to be good, but also kind of... boring, honestly, for that reason. Although I imagine a LARGE part of that is due to how much better the combat in 4 is; going back to 1's combat after all the cool things they added in 4 is tough.

10. Scream
9. Parasite
8. Whiplash
7. The Thing
6. Goodfellas
5. The Social Network
4. Inglourious Basterds

10. Spider-Man 2
9. Parasite
8. Whiplash
7. 12 Angry Men
6. Goodfellas
5. The Social Network
4. Inglourious Basterds
2. LotR

Top ten films?

1. Memento
2. Heat
3. Rocky
4. Paths of Glory
5. The Truman Show
7. Ratatouille
8. Salaam Bombay
9. There Will Be Blood
10. Kill Bill

Eternal Sunshine is number 1 for me as well. Paths of Glory, There will be Blood, and Ratatouille would also probably be in my top 10 or 15.

I have... thoughts on this. Maybe it's because I played 4 before 1, and I know it's not the most popular opinion, but I liked pretty much everything about VC4 more than VC1. Even the plot and characters. Yes, VC1 is tighter, more grounded, and a more personal story for those characters, and the writing in VC4 is more variable and doesn't always work as well, but it resonated with me a lot more. Sure there's stuff like Raz, where they clearly tried WAY too hard to make him unlikeable near the beginning so that they could give him a growth arc later in the game and they went overboard, and there's more anime tropes and such. But they really went for it with VC4, especially as the game goes on (I think the second half is far better than the first half) and even if not everything works they really swung for the fences in scope, stakes, and so many other things, and that hit with me. Could just be that it fits my tastes more, as I tend to like stories that are bigger, have higher stakes, tons of insane reveals and twists, etc., more than smaller and more personal stories that have less going on. I found VC1 to be good, but also kind of... boring, honestly, for that reason. Although I imagine a LARGE part of that is due to how much better the combat in 4 is; going back to 1's combat after all the cool things they added in 4 is tough.
I played VC1 first and largely prefer 4 over it. There’s a tonal shift halfway through the game that really endeared me to it and yeah the maps just get more wild largely in good ways. I also agree Raz is purposely made unlikeable early on. While characters in the story may forgive him, I don’t think the game always necessarily does and the player definitely doesn’t have to.

I also played 4 before 1 and I agree with a lot of your points. Overall character variability 4 takes more chances they feel unique, while 1 is more blank canvases. Towards the end of 4 he story was more interesting, as you said 1 becomes boring and to safe. Combat as well is more basic in 1 and 4 added a TON of qol and variability.

I think in the end the series needs a revamp, my fav is 2 because of the change of pace and progression. When I was playing 1 it felt like a lighter version of 4. But I dont know what they could do. Maybe go away from WW2-esque scenario? Futuristic War? Hopefully the series doesn't go years dormant

Great list! Paths of Glory is such an underappreciated Kubrick, I watched it for the first time maybe a year ago and was floored. There Will Be Blood almost made my list as well. I'm actually planning on rewatching Heat during this vacation, as I've only seen it once and thought it was a masterpiece upon first viewing. Come to find out that my 3rd cousins (identical twins) took turns playing Ashley Judd and Val Kilmer's baby in the movie!
I need to rewatch Eternal Sunshine one day. Loved it when I watched it but I’ve only seen it twice and that was over a decade ago lol. The films I’ve listed were all ones I’ve rewatched over the last year or two. Pendemic gave me a lot of time to dig in.

-I think Goodfellas would’ve made my top 10 if it was just paced a little better at the end. It’s such a rollercoaster movie that it’s exhausting watching and you start to feel like Henry at the end. Still, one of the best soundtracks in film ever that’s for sure.

-I love that inglorious Basterds allowed itself to be sub-titled. Always annoying seeing a lot of Hollywood films speaking English in non-English speaking countries lol, like there was a scene in Wonder Woman 2017 where it’s Germany but every soldier is speaking English. Only a few words too, just let them speak German. Ratatouille is a bit guilty of this and not having any French actors is still a issue I have with the film. But the movie feels like it drags too me when I watch it. I find it unfortunate that I prefer scenes from the film then I do rewatching the film itself. Still tho, it’s a film I wish it came out today to see the reactions lol.

- I love Whiplash. But there’s a ton more films about obsession that I perfer. Like The Prestige and whatnot. Tho Whiplash been really simplistic helps out a ton. But it is glaring in some scenes like the dinner one that felt more “rushed” and the relationship scene falls flat for me due to having so little time. Even then, great film and loved the ending.

- 12 Angry Men is one I have yet gotten the chance to see. I guess you can say it’s on my backlog lol

-Parasite is Fantastic. But I’ve only seen it once in theaters and would love to watch it again in the future before putting it in any list. Off the bat, I think I still prefer Oldboy for South Korean Films

- scream. I’m gonna be honest, I didn’t care for it when I re-watched it. love the opening scene but it still didn’t leave much else for me. I’m not really a big Horror genre person, films don’t really scare me cause it’s film and my mind catches all the editing and tricks no matter how many times I turn off my brain. Even horror games line Until Dawn, I could spot the jump scares a mile Away and felt more of a chore to see. It might be slasher films. The Thing is a absolute favorite of mine.

Film discussion is fun.

My extreme amounts of time on YouTube are even more embarrassing when you realize I've only had my OLED for around six months.

Mario Strikers DLC
Fire Emblem Three Hopes update
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe DLC
Xenoblade 3 Feature
Splatoon 3 blowout
Bayonetta 3 blowout
Zelda ports reveal
Metroid Prime Remake reveal
Mario + Rabbids 2 blowout
Style Saavy reveal

Guys that is already a massive E3. All of that might not even fit in one presentation. If something gets pushed we might have room for another heavily rumored game like Fire Emblem, but please do not expect a lot of new stuff to be revealed this summer beyond this.
there are a lot of assumptions in this list

even the ones that seem obvious like “xyz blowout” are way more likely to be tiny “here’s a small reminder or previously unclear feature” if they show up at all

the June-adjacent show is usually fairly juicy but they really don’t always touch on everything, and there’s still longer-term marketing going on in parallel, and a lot of times they’re not gonna tell you everything about the game before it comes out

I just hope everyone’s expectations are… balanced… when we get our cancelled E3 Nintendothon er Shocking May 27th Direct er July 13th Announcement er August 9th Tweet er June thing

and I promise there is one thing you really aren’t expecting Nintendo to do that they’re gonna do in the summer presentation

just you fuckin’ wait

what do I know? do I know things? let’s find out!

jk I don’t know shit but my predictions and easy vague guesses at immutable truths are now in the public record

I just hope everyone’s expectations are… balanced… when we get our cancelled E3 Nintendothon er Shocking May 27th Direct er July 13th Announcement er August 9th Tweet er June thing
My expectations are so low that Nintendo literally can't disappoint me this year. I know Xenoblade 3 is coming, I know Breath of the Darkness is coming, I know Bayonetta 3(!!) is coming, and I don't need to see any more of them to know I'm getting them. I have nothing left to look forward to in a Direct this year. 🤣 Literally anything they show in June is gonna either be above and beyond my hopes and wants, or will be nothing new that I'm interested in and I won't mind because I'm already feasting.

This is a weird gaming year for me. It's.. actually almost too good. Like, when's the other shoe gonna drop? And what's the shoe even gonna be?

Top ten movies you say. Finally, a chance to unleash my embarrassingly generic takes on the world!

10. Ex Machina
9. Arrival
8. Alien
7. The Last Crusade
6. La La Land
5. Jurassic Park
4. The Truman Show
3. Rocky
2. Spider-Man 2
1. The Matrix

Yeah, I don't need that much more this year for it to be excellent. Kirby and Triangle Strategy were great, and things are really kicking off starting next month. FEW Three Hopes, Sunbreak, Sonic Origins, Elechead, Live Alive, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Two Point Campus, and Splatoon 3 in the next 4 months is pretty great.

If Bayonetta 3, Mario + Rabbids 2, and Metroid Prime HD Definitive Remastered Anniversary Edition make late 2022, and if Pokemon turns out well, then that's a great line up. And there could easily be a little more.

Hit the credits on Dread. Not sure what's next
obviously the thing to do when you hit the credits in Metroid Dread is to start a new run. Have you done a 100% run? A hard mode run? A sub-3 hour run? A low % run? There’s so many options!

I spent 40 hours with Dread last fall over the course of five playthroughs, and there’s still tons that I wanted to do. I need to get back to it soon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom