• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
From now on I'll only post about things I hate that Nintendo does, so as not to creep anyone out. I'm sorry to have made people uncomfortable.

I am once again posting to say that I hate friend codes. I get that it's supposed to be a barrier of entry to protect young people, but it pretty much doesn't when they use Twitter. Let parental controls take care of that, give the rest of us normal friend matching.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the multiplayer system on Nintendo Switch. The fact that my Splatoon buddies and I can't stay queued together while using different modes, using tickets in the lobby, etc is arcane.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the eShop. Holy shit does it suck. I rarely need a cart but the few times that I have (Indie World shadowdrop days, for example) it has been so annoying. The minimalism of the Switch menus are officially for speed, but the eShop, a webpage, is slow.

I am once again posting to say that, sorry as I am to bring it up, I hate that there's not been a Switch Pro. I was really hoping we'd get some more processing power at some point, and even if the battery upgrades in 2019 were nice, I'd like to be playing Animal Crossing without frame drops by now.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the icon rotation on NSO. Yeah, these have been called Nintendo's take on achievements and, sorry for breaking the narrative @Benzychenz and @Plum, but I hate these even more than the real deal. And Nintendo did it! I thought I was supposed to be a one-dimensional Nintendrone and/or a Nincel. My bad. Anyway, my distaste for achievements comes from the way that they recontextualize playing video games as an errand, and holy fuck does the NSO feature do it worst. Play the mobile games to get points, go on our websites and click things to get points, open Super Metroid to get points, etc. And you have a week to get them all! It's completely obnoxious, and Nintendo is the company that did it.
The thing is; what you hate there is not 'the concept of Online' or 'the concept of an eShop', or 'the concept of Achievements' but the shitty implementations of said things that Nintendo has done. Same goes for achievements; I highly doubt many people here are actually opposed to the very concept of achievements, but it's made it seem that way cause they word complaints about bad achievements as indicative of the entire system. That, because there are games with sucky achievements that make things into an errand, that there shouldn't be any system whatsoever.

Like, the Nintendo system is not an "Achievement system," because you don't achieve anything. Meanwhile, defeating every boss in Elden Ring to get the Platinum is an achievement, and something that can be recognised by the trophy + screenshot + possible video/audio recording when you do it. I had an absolute blast last year (it was frustrating as fuck but it was hella fun) finishing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered without dying a single time, and that never felt like an 'errand' to me. That's something I never would have done when had the trophy for it not existed, but I'm much happier having done it. I can't see how that's different from, say, how Kirby rewards you for doing X, Y and Z in every level. It's not an errand to "defeat the boss without getting hit," but it's definitely, well, an achievement lol.

And that's what I mean when I say that a Nintendo forum is quite biased on this, because whilst other communities tend to either a) not care for achievements or b) care for them and criticise bad implementations, it's only really on Nintendo places that we see a refusal to even want an implementation of the system as a whole. It's the equivalent to, instead of saying "I hate the lack of a cart on the eShop," you said "eShops commodify gaming and Nintendo doesn't need one at all." That's what I'm trying to call out here: not the criticism of achievements themselves (well, some of it is literal ignorance, but much of it is valid), but the notion that there should never be any implementation of the system on Nintendo consoles whatsoever. As if it isn't a system that many people really, really enjoy having on other platforms.

Well, uhh...not that I want to dogpile on achievements more, but I think I'd be less opposed to them if the other platform holders weren't so keen on forcing achievements to be coded into retro games that didn't have them before making them available for resale on current digital storefronts.

I mean, wasn't that the reason why PS1 and PS2 games were nearly non-existent on PS4?

If Nintendo bothers with achievements, either they won't bother backporting it into their older catalogue, annoying those who feel they have no reason to go back to older content, or they will, meaning it'll take even longer for the dripfeed of older games making their way to NSO.

But you know what is a real tragedy?

Why the everlasting FUCK Nintendo only sells the three button Genesis controller for NSO when Japan gets the fully functional six button controller.

Like yes, I get that it's cheaper to get the 8bitdo replica controller at that point but just...man.

Well, I'm back on my bullshit.

I'm playing Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness again.
Man, if anything this reminded me I need to unlock Ho-oh in Coliseum and purify Lugia, transfer them to my GBA games, trade them forward to Diamond/Black, get those moved to X/Moon, and have them uploaded to Bank and into Home before the 3DS eShop shuts down 🙃

The thing is; what you hate there is not 'the concept of Online' or 'the concept of an eShop', or 'the concept of Achievements' but the shitty implementations of said things that Nintendo has done. Same goes for achievements; I highly doubt many people here are actually opposed to the very concept of achievements, but it's made it seem that way cause they word complaints about bad achievements as indicative of the entire system. That, because there are games with sucky achievements that make things into an errand, that there shouldn't be any system whatsoever.

Like, the Nintendo system is not an "Achievement system," because you don't achieve anything. Meanwhile, defeating every boss in Elden Ring to get the Platinum is an achievement, and something that can be recognised by the trophy + screenshot + possible video/audio recording when you do it. I had an absolute blast last year (it was frustrating as fuck but it was hella fun) finishing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Remastered without dying a single time, and that never felt like an 'errand' to me. That's something I never would have done when had the trophy for it not existed, but I'm much happier having done it. I can't see how that's different from, say, how Kirby rewards you for doing X, Y and Z in every level. It's not an errand to "defeat the boss without getting hit," but it's definitely, well, an achievement lol.

And that's what I mean when I say that a Nintendo forum is quite biased on this, because whilst other communities tend to either a) not care for achievements or b) care for them and criticise bad implementations, it's only really on Nintendo places that we see a refusal to even want an implementation of the system as a whole. It's the equivalent to, instead of saying "I hate the lack of a cart on the eShop," you said "eShops commodify gaming and Nintendo doesn't need one at all." That's what I'm trying to call out here: not the criticism of achievements themselves (well, some of it is literal ignorance, but much of it is valid), but the notion that there should never be any implementation of the system on Nintendo consoles whatsoever. As if it isn't a system that many people really, really enjoy having on other platforms.
I own other platforms, and I don’t like their implementation of achievements. Maybe the reason I prefer Nintendo is the fact that they don’t engage with these systems that I find reductive of the hobby? Interesting thought.

Also, for what it is worth, if Nintendo introduced these on the Wii I would hate them even more because I’m a well-known Coober.

ANYWAYS

I am out of coffee. Can someone wake me up with a hot take unrelated to psychoanalyzing why I don’t like achievements?

But you know what is a real tragedy?

Why the everlasting FUCK Nintendo only sells the three button Genesis controller for NSO when Japan gets the fully functional six button controller.
I am inching closer and closer to paying the exorbitant price of importing one from Japan. Yes, yes, 8BitDo yada yada yada I WANT THE LEGIT ONE.

if the TG16 mini/PC-E mini is any indication, there’s a good chance America gets the better controller with Turbo sliders where Japan will get the vanilla PC-Engine controllers

So at least we have that going for us

Man, Tennis Aces has the best fucking roster in a Mario spinoff.

30 characters, with no babies, koopalings, or metal versions.

Enough spots that they could include the whole core cast and then add really fun picks like Chain Chomp, Fire Piranha Plant and Luma.

Superstars and now Strikers coming out with their barebones 10 character lineups missing series mainstays is just inexcusable.

You wanna know something else about their legacy controllers?

They added SR and SL buttons to the SNES controller but didn't add a home button and you also can't wake the console.

They finally added a home button to the N64 controller but you can't close the N64 app because it doesn't have an X button.

AmpleConfusedChevrotain-max-1mb.gif

They added SR and SL buttons to the SNES controller but didn't add a home button and you also can't wake the console.

They finally added a home button to the N64 controller but you can't close the N64 app because it doesn't have an X button.
absolutely hilarious

Man, Tennis Aces has the best fucking roster in a Mario spinoff.

30 characters, with no babies, koopalings, or metal versions.

Enough spots that they could include the whole core cast and then add really fun picks like Chain Chomp, Fire Piranha Plant and Luma.

Superstars and now Strikers coming out with their barebones 10 character lineups missing series mainstays is just inexcusable.
People are really hard on Camelot, Aces is clearly the best Mario sports game even though it needed some updates to get to that level. I can't wait to play Strikers but yeah, just 10 characters is not enough. Aces also had some cool minigames.

Look, Koopalings are alright, but it’s just that adding one is a commitment to add all 7, and their inclusion in Mario Kart 8 crippled that games character roster.
I actually was always in favor of adding all seven to spinoffs; When they showed up in Mario Kart 8 was a big deal to me! They were always major characters in the franchise and really important for me, growing up watching the DiC cartoons and playing SMB3 and SMW; --I actively prefer them over nameless generic enemies.

BUT, Mario Kart 8's roster was the worst because they were basically the only good additions; Baby Rosalina (lore assassination!) and Pink Gold Peach are way worse offenders imo.. and by DLC, adding another Mario and Peach..., I was already completely numb. Without mention the cut of veterans for no reason like Diddy and Birdo... :T

I'd be fine with the Koopalings always showing up, each one taking their own slot, if that doesn't mean they'll cheap out on other additions.

None of the reasons you're advocating for achievements are unique to them. In-game implementations of the same idea, like in Kirby or Smash, encourage you to try things without standardizing the act of playing video games. To my recollection, an advocate of system achievements on the site recently said that they prefer them to be standardized so they can show off and quantify their gamerhood.

What you've failed to understand here is that system-level achievements are an implementation of this general idea, and they are one I don't care for. It institutionalizes the gamer mindset of accomplishment (the grindset, if you will) and puts it on a pedestal that I find unpleasant. Games that want to encourage and reward players are able to do so with in-game systems, without warping the act of playing video games into a pastiche of a career.

With every replay of Resident Evil 4 I just realize how close it is to my perfect ideal of an AAA blockbuster game. I always marvel at how perfectly balanced it feels, the invisible hand of the designer constantly pushing the player forward. I never feel rushed but also don't feel like there's any dull moments in the game. There's just the right level of story, exploration, puzzle solving, character customization etc. It's not a template that will work for every type of game but boy do I wish more developers followed it.

With every replay of Resident Evil 4 I just realize how close it is to my perfect ideal of an AAA blockbuster game. I always marvel at how perfectly balanced it feels, the invisible hand of the designer constantly pushing the player forward. I never feel rushed but also don't feel like there's any dull moments in the game. There's just the right level of story, exploration, puzzle solving, character customization etc. It's not a template that will work for every type of game but boy do I wish more developers followed it.
If you just snip an hour off the end there it might well be a perfect game.

How long did that particular illness last you? Uh... Asking for a friend (who happens to be up all night tonight hugging the toilet, and also me).
That one was maybe 24 hours luckily, but did have the whole dehydration feeling for a few days. Really should have gone into the ED for fluids I think. Hoping everyone is better soon.

That one was maybe 24 hours luckily, but did have the whole dehydration feeling for a few days. Really should have gone into the ED for fluids I think. Hoping everyone is better soon.
Yeah we're I think a little better, definitely dealing with dehydration though. We're gonna all down some Pedialyte in a bit.

I actually was always in favor of adding all seven to spinoffs; When they showed up in Mario Kart 8 was a big deal to me! They were always major characters in the franchise and really important for me, growing up watching the DiC cartoons and playing SMB3 and SMW; --I actively prefer them over nameless generic enemies.

BUT, Mario Kart 8's roster was the worst because they were basically the only good additions; Baby Rosalina (lore assassination!) and Pink Gold Peach are way worse offenders imo.. and by DLC, adding another Mario and Peach..., I was already completely numb. Without mention the cut of veterans for no reason like Diddy and Birdo... :T

I'd be fine with the Koopalings always showing up, each one taking their own slot, if that doesn't mean they'll cheap out on other additions.
Yeah. I always thought it was weird to blame the Koopalings for MK8's roster, when the Babies, and Peach/Mario clones exist. But suffice to say, if Nintendo really wanted to make sure characters like Pauline, Funky, Birdo or Wart joined a MK game, none of these picks would stand in their way.

What we actually need is consoles people outside of the US feel nostalgic about added to NSO.

I have around 20 gaming friend age 25-35 and none of us ever played a N64 game or even knew SEGA made consoles at all.

Some fun facts about Genesis/Megadrive (outside of the US):
  • By 1994, Sega Megadrive (Genesis) owned 65% of the market share in Europe, maintaining a decent lead over SNES.
  • In Brazil, the Mega Drive/Genesis was the market leader, capturing a 75% market share.
Before PlayStation entered the picture in 1994, Europe and Brazil were basically Sega territory.

• By 1994, Sega Megadrive (Genesis) owned 65% of the market share in Europe, maintaining a decent lead over SNES.
  • In Brazil, the Mega Drive/Genesis was the market leader, capturing a 75% market share.
Before PlayStation entered the picture in 1994, Europe was basically Sega territory.

Nice, I belonged to that 35% then. As I had a SNES and skipped over the N64 till the Gamecube came out. Somehow the N64 never appealed to me.

Thats why I am lukewarm on The Legend of Zelda: OoT and MM. I tried to play them but they aged poorly imo.

Nice, I belonged to that 35% then. As I had a SNES and skipped over the N64 till the Gamecube came out. Somehow the N64 never appealed to me.

Thats why I am lukewarm on The Legend of Zelda: OoT and MM. I tried to play them but they aged poorly imo.

Did you play OoT and MM on N64 or 3DS? Both versions have their pros and cons, imo.

Before PlayStation entered the picture in 1994, Europe was basically Sega territory.
I was always a Nintendo kid, despite my first console being a Master System, and I can share my exposure for all things SEGA here in Brazil was something else.. Tec-Toy really made a terrific job on expanding the audience and getting games acessible to most (whereas Nintendo, while they eventually adopted a similar approach, it was way too late to make any impact on the market);

And in the Genesis (or Mega Drive) gen, we got stuff like... Duke Nukem 3D, Show do Milhão (adaptation of a popular TV show) and a terrible Woody Woodpecker game that other countries didn't get.. these games were being pumped out as far as the early 2000's.

duke-nukem-3d.jpg
4767.jpg
8058.jpg

By the way, there's always the tale of the localization as well... since Phantasy Star was fully translated to Brazilian Portuguese on the Master System by Tec-Toy with no assistence by SEGA; and only now on Switch we're getting our first translated games by Nintendo ;P

I love how Tantalus saying they haven’t been approached by Nintendo about Twilight Princess on Switch has some absolute fucking bozos acting like that means it’s NEVER coming to Switch.

As if Tantalus could say anything about stuff going on with Nintendo.

Read through all these achievement posts and things got spicy while I was asleep. The best thing I saw was the term “Nincels”. Thought that was clever. Also glad @Skittzo can maintain his sense of humor through all the illness.

Ambivalent to achievements myself. Used to really like them in the 360 era but found I was constantly going to the hardest difficulty for no real reason other than the achievement. Nintendo does this in most games, just not system level (via actual goals, achievements, or even the 3 coins in recent Mario games). I’m on record as saying the 3DS Mario Maker single player is the best of any Nintendo made Mario precisely because they added in 2 challenge medals for each level. These days, playing a game to completion is my achievement.

I love how Tantalus saying they haven’t been approached by Nintendo about Twilight Princess on Switch has some absolute fucking bozos acting like that means it’s NEVER coming to Switch.

It's entirely possible that Nintendo is handling it without Tantalus but the statement is pretty telling:
“No, and look, we’d obviously love to do that [Zelda: Twilight Princess HD], but that hasn’t been a priority for Nintendo – or at least not in conversations that they’ve had with us.
If they were under some kind of NDA they would just not say anything about it.

It’s not like Nintendo needs them anyways to port those games to Switch…

I do believe Tantalus. No one answers this forthcomingingly when they’re under NDA.

twin-peaks.gif

Before PlayStation entered the picture in 1994, Europe and Brazil were basically Sega territory.

That's before my time sadly, I was born a couple of years later. We all grew up with a PS1 and a GameBoy here in Italy. But it's impressive how SEGA fucked it all up, props to them, I bet it wasn't easy lol.

It's entirely possible that Nintendo is handling it without Tantalus but the statement is pretty telling:

If they were under some kind of NDA they would just not say anything about it.

Oh I don't disagree, but it's just seeing from some circles that this means it's literally never happening.

That's before my time sadly, I was born a couple of years later. We all grew up with a PS1 and a GameBoy here in Italy. But it's impressive how SEGA fucked it all up, props to them, I bet it wasn't easy lol.
They even released Segagaga, a game where you are tasked with saving the companies console business, 2 days before the Dreamcast was discontinued. Next level awareness there (though I’m not so sure the development was made with that in mind).

If you're a 'mechanics first' kind of person, a lot of modern games just feel tremendously cluttered by ancillary systems that don't bring much to the core experience.
Holy damn, I've never seen my feelings communicated so concisely.

It's probably why people find them more palatable when they're integrated into the game, since at least those fit more neatly into the 'fiction'.
Case in point: Untitled Goose Game. The achievement system was perfect.

From now on I'll only post about things I hate that Nintendo does, so as not to creep anyone out. I'm sorry to have made people uncomfortable.

I am once again posting to say that I hate friend codes. I get that it's supposed to be a barrier of entry to protect young people, but it pretty much doesn't when they use Twitter. Let parental controls take care of that, give the rest of us normal friend matching.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the multiplayer system on Nintendo Switch. The fact that my Splatoon buddies and I can't stay queued together while using different modes, using tickets in the lobby, etc is arcane.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the eShop. Holy shit does it suck. I rarely need a cart but the few times that I have (Indie World shadowdrop days, for example) it has been so annoying. The minimalism of the Switch menus are officially for speed, but the eShop, a webpage, is slow.

I am once again posting to say that, sorry as I am to bring it up, I hate that there's not been a Switch Pro. I was really hoping we'd get some more processing power at some point, and even if the battery upgrades in 2019 were nice, I'd like to be playing Animal Crossing without frame drops by now.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the icon rotation on NSO. Yeah, these have been called Nintendo's take on achievements and, sorry for breaking the narrative @Benzychenz and @Plum, but I hate these even more than the real deal. And Nintendo did it! I thought I was supposed to be a one-dimensional Nintendrone and/or a Nincel. My bad. Anyway, my distaste for achievements comes from the way that they recontextualize playing video games as an errand, and holy fuck does the NSO feature do it worst. Play the mobile games to get points, go on our websites and click things to get points, open Super Metroid to get points, etc. And you have a week to get them all! It's completely obnoxious, and Nintendo is the company that did it.
I am once again posting to say that I agree with Raccoon. Friendcodes are kinda past their relevance, twitter is dangerous, Splatoon queuing is wonky, the eShop is slow and glitchy (even on my phone, wtf (though even then it's still more intuitive than the Xbox store, which is hilariously bad)), and while I'm not normally a resolution-and-framerate guy, Xenoblade 3's release date has me looking towards the Future Hardware thread like jordanpeelesweating.gif hoping for some indication that an upgrade might be looming. We'll see. Also, how was the sportsball game, dude?

So what you're saying is, before 1994 Europe and Brazil were rad as hell.

For the DoA fans

I love how the top comment is "this is probably fake." I feel like that's becoming the knee-jerk default comment on Gaming Twitter™ 😏

Sega failed because they put too much emphasis on gameplay. Now that they've abandoned intricate mechanics with series like Yakuza they're seeing much more success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom