• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can guarantee that, had Nintendo implemented Achievements in the Wii Era and called them "Nintendo Wii Challenges," or something, places like this would love them. But because they didn't - probably because Nintendo's online offerings have always been antiquated - it's an "outsider thing," and, therefore, worthy of the utmost scrutiny and derision.

I'm not even joking here. There is nothing inherently wrong to achievements that would necessitate the sheer hatred I see for them on Nintendo forums like this. Hell, most of the common 'criticisms' (that the pop ups are annoying, that they're difficult for developers, that they can spoil stuff, or that they fundamentally change game design) are literally untrue, and are born out of sheer ignorance more than anything. I mean; you really do show that you don't know anything about achievements if you say that "yeah but the pop ups are annoying!" when achievement notifications have been completely optional since... 2005.

It's just they're not a "Nintendo" thing and it's been so long since they were introduced that people have had time to cement their opinions on the matter. Then it becomes another "Nintendo vs. the Rest of the Industry," thing and, at that point, nothing will ever change because things are rooted in place forever as another front in the perpetual console war.

Last edited:
If Nintendo add achievements I will just ignore them 99% of the time just like I do on literally every other platform that has them.

Aren't in-game quests technically a form of achievements.. 🤔

But yeah I don't really do them myself either, I just like going through a game however I want!(falling and stumbling through them as usual lolol)
But I can understand why a lot of people do like them!

Last edited:
If Nintendo add achievements I will just ignore them 99% of the time just like I do on literally every other platform that has them.
The rational reaction to disliking them.

-

My initial post about being ‘creeped out’ was made because I woke up, clicked on this thread, saw the same posters I always see saying they hate achievements despite the topic having no relevance to their lives, and thinking about how weird an obsession it is.
It’s just a massive chip on their shoulders, explained by @Plum above. A lot of Nintendo fans are deep into this culture war of them vs the “other” and it is creepy.
It’s just video games guys, calm down. Enjoy what you like, and just, don’t worry about what you don’t.

Comparing discussion of benign video game meta to far-right figureheads is uncalled for regardless of how you feel about any of the members involved. (image has since been updated) - blondkayvon, mazi, paranoodle
edit: here, replaced it with a picture that means the same thing as before

T5FGxWg.jpg

Last edited:
The rational reaction to disliking them.

-

My initial post about being ‘creeped out’ was made because I woke up, clicked on this thread, saw the same posters I always see saying they hate achievements despite the topic having no relevance to their lives, and thinking about how weird an obsession it is.
It’s just a massive chip on their shoulders, explained by @Plum above. A lot of Nintendo fans are deep into this culture war of them vs the “other” and it is creepy.
It’s just video games guys, calm down. Enjoy what you like, and just, don’t worry about what you don’t.
Eh, I wouldn't say 'creepy', just more frustrating. Creepy's a bit of a loaded word.

Like if I went onto a Sony-focused board and started seeing people post about how "All Nintendo games are just baby games with no substance," I would definitely call that frustrating because, no, that's not the case - but they likely ain't gonna hear otherwise. Essentially, when an opinion is clearly born not out of genuine practice but out of ignorance and/or tribal leanings, it is frustrating because there's really nothing one can say to change it.

What the fuck dude

Don't compare people with innocent game opinions like "I'd like achievements on Switch," to right-wing chuds with victim complexes.

Come on, seriously. That's uncalled for.

This is the way to go about them. Enjoy them if you do, ignore them if you dislike them.

What the fuck dude

Don't compare people with game opinions to right-wing chuds with victim complexes.

Come on, seriously. That's uncalled for.

I think it's the appropriate level of derision towards this narrative you've spun for yourself why some people dislike a thing that you enjoy.

I think it's the appropriate level of derision towards this narrative you've spun for yourself why some people dislike a thing that you enjoy.
No it's fucking not

Saying that a Nintendo Fan Site has opinions linked to being Nintendo fans is not anywhere close to being the same as thinking the left-wing is out to get you because they're telling you not to use the N word.

Fucking seriously. Think about the fucking imagery you're using and what that means to people before trying to win a meaningless internet argument with it.

No it's fucking not

Saying that a Nintendo Fan Site has opinions linked to being Nintendo fanboys is not the same as thinking the left-wing is out to get you because they're telling you not to use the N word.

Fucking seriously

I think you're intentionally extending the victim complex parallels beyond their intended meaning.

You’re kind of proving the point.

What point? That some people were talking about their dislike of achievements and brought up arguments for why and we got one post of you about how it's creepy and weird without addressing any of the points being raised and one from Plum about how actually "places like this" just don't like a thing because Nintendo (ignoring the posts and Yeah!s in favour of achievements). I'll gladly prove that point all day every day.

I think you're intentionally extending the victim complex parallels beyond their intended meaning.
No, I'm really fucking not.

I am a queer man who's entire life has been, at least in some way, controlled and left fucked because of right-wing bullshit. I didn't know who I fucking was until my early 20s because right-wing fucks like the one you compared me to don't want kids learning about 'the dangers of the LGBT'. Katie Hopkins, the woman you're using to make your point, has actively emboldened right-wing voices in the UK, including the TERF movement which is currently causing a complete shit-show for trans rights and lives in this country.

How fucking dare you compare me to them because you wanted to win a meaningless fucking debate on videogame achievements.

Last edited:
Some achievements are hilarious even if I don't like achievements. The 'stay on the start screen for 10 hours' in Disgaea 3 is great. Yes I have that achievement lol.

Monster Hunter World had a few trophies for catching rare little animals in the world and it made me pay attention to that little Pokémon-esque side mechanic that there’s not much reason to engage with otherwise and I ended up finding it really fun!

That’s the kind of stuff I mean.
But did you find it fun because of the trophy at the end, or because of the process itself?

If it's the first, then you were enjoying the checklist process. If it's the second, then you enjoyed the possibility space represented by that system, which exists separate from the trophy.

It's like claiming you really enjoy objective markers because they lead you to quests, rather than just saying you enjoy quests.

I can guarantee that, had Nintendo implemented Achievements in the Wii Era and called them "Nintendo Wii Challenges," or something, places like this would love them. But because they didn't - probably because Nintendo's online offerings have always been antiquated - it's an "outsider thing," and, therefore, worthy of the utmost scrutiny and derision.

I'm not even joking here. There is nothing inherently wrong to achievements that would necessitate the sheer hatred I see for them on Nintendo forums like this. Hell, most of the common 'criticisms' (that the pop ups are annoying, that they're difficult for developers, that they can spoil stuff, or that they fundamentally change game design) are literally untrue, and are born out of sheer ignorance more than anything. I mean; you really do show that you don't know anything about achievements if you say that "yeah but the pop ups are annoying!" when achievement notifications have been completely optional since... 2005.

It's just they're not a "Nintendo" thing and it's been so long since they were introduced that people have had time to cement their opinions on the matter. Then it becomes another "Nintendo vs. the Rest of the Industry," thing and, at that point, nothing will ever change because things are rooted in place forever as another front in the perpetual console war.
Sorry, but no.

Personally, I dislike the way that a lot of modern games have transformed into work simulators. Which is, to say, that I dislike how so many modern games try to trick people into playing them for reasons beyond fun. Battle passes are the main example of this. I see so many online communities rave about this pass or that, and then I see comments like “now that I’ve finished the pass, I guess there’s no reason to play!” Like, what? Shouldn’t you be playing to enjoy the game, and not just to unlock little rewards that are related to said game?

Achievements are less manipulative, I think, but they still encourage people to do things not for the fun of doing them but instead for some imagined achievement therein. It can expose you to elements of a game you’ve never considered, sure, but it can also expose you to time-wasting tedium that would otherwise be ignored in favor of actual enjoyable pursuits.

So, no, I don’t just dislike them because Nintendo told me they are bad. I just don’t like being coerced into having a bad time.

(if this makes no sense and is too rambly it’s because I am trying to rock my baby back to sleep after a too damn early feeding).

But did you find it fun because of the trophy at the end, or because of the process itself?

If it's the first, then you were enjoying the checklist process. If it's the second, then you enjoyed the possibility space represented by that system, which exists separate from the trophy.

It's like claiming you really enjoy objective markers because they lead you to quests, rather than just saying you enjoy quests.
It’s exactly what I said.

I found the process itself and game mechanic fun.

I wouldn’t have engaged with it if I didn’t have a trophy incentive in the first place.

I found the process itself and game mechanic fun.

I wouldn’t have engaged with it if I didn’t have a trophy incentive in the first place.
Then I hope you get the point of my previous reply. By your own admission, you literally need an extrinsic motivator to engage with a game's systems. Other people are motivated to interact with those systems solely by their existence, which means in the eyes of those people achievements redundant and pesky. That preference doesn't make people 'haters' or 'creepy'.

Sorry, but no.

Personally, I dislike the way that a lot of modern games have transformed into work simulators. Which is, to say, that I dislike how so many modern games try to trick people into playing them for reasons beyond fun. Battle passes are the main example of this. I see so many online communities rave about this pass or that, and then I see comments like “now that I’ve finished the pass, I guess there’s no reason to play!” Like, what? Shouldn’t you be playing to enjoy the game, and not just to unlock little rewards that are related to said game?

Achievements are less manipulative, I think, but they still encourage people to do things not for the fun of doing them but instead for some imagined achievement therein. It can expose you to elements of a game you’ve never considered, sure, but it can also expose you to time-wasting tedium that would otherwise be ignored in favor of actual enjoyable pursuits.

So, no, I don’t just dislike them because Nintendo told me they are bad. I just don’t like being coerced into having a bad time.

(if this makes no sense and is too rambly it’s because I am trying to rock my baby back to sleep after a too damn early feeding).
This does make sense, but the thing with achievements is that you don't have to engage with them at all, and if you do engage with them they offer a really nice bonus beyond the simple 100% counters you may find in certain games. That and, by virtue of being there, they do offer an incentive to "play to enjoy the game," that you may not have had otherwise. Some folks, like me, work better with extrinsic rewards than intrinsic ones, so I'm much more likely to enjoy 100%ing and mastering a game if there's an achievement waiting for me than if there's nothing there at the end.

I gave this example before, but without the Trophies I got for unlocking it - and the idea of unlocking the 'Platinum' - I never would have mastered Sayonara Wild Hearts, and as such I'd have missed out on one of the most satisfying gaming moments of my life. That and those achievements make you do more than just "Get Gold on every level." They make you interact with the game in ways nobody would think to do (for instance, get the middle "Good" timings on every QTE in this level," or "Play this level without touching a single coin."), and they do so without the developers having to implement an entirely-seperate mode as well.

And I never said it was purely because of Nintendo not implementing them, but I think that opinions would be much less heated had they done so back in the day. We wouldn't have folks comparing others to Katie Hopkins, for one. It would, just like the debate on "whether Nintendo games should have more story," be something that divides, but doesn't completely seperate the Nintendo fandom from others. You wouldn't see posts with +15 Yeah's just saying "I fucking hate achievements," and nothing else, I'd bet.

That and, I mean, Smash has had achievements since the Wii era and nobody's complained about those. It hasn't changed the fact that you can just jump on, play a few rounds, and leave. But what it has given is an incentive to some people to go beyond their own 'limits', to play at higher intensities so that you can unlock a new meaningless picture on a board.

Then I hope you get the point of my previous reply. By your own admission, you literally need an extrinsic motivator to engage with a game's systems. Other people are motivated to interact with those systems solely by their existence, which means in the eyes of those people achievements redundant and pesky. That preference doesn't make people 'haters' or 'creepy'.
I only used the word creepy in the context of the same posters always bringing up their dislike of achievement systems for no real reason.
It’s a system that if you dislike it you can just… ignore it. You can literally turn them off at a system level and never see or interact with them.
There’s no reason for anyone to actively hate them that it’s on their minds on the regular and something they should have to repeatedly post about, and yet they do.

Anyone that just doesn’t like achievements isn’t creepy for clarification.

Last edited:
No, I'm really fucking not.

I am a queer man who's entire life has been, at least in some way, controlled and left fucked because of right-wing bullshit. I didn't know who I fucking was until my early 20s because right-wing fucks like the one you compared me to don't want kids learning about 'the dangers of the LGBT'. Katie Hopkins, the woman you're using to make your point, has actively emboldened right-wing voices in the UK, including the TERF movement which is currently causing a complete shit-show for trans rights and lives in this country.

How fucking dare you compare me to them because you wanted to win a meaningless fucking debate on videogame achievements.

Hopkins herself is completely immaterial to this discussion. Any other person with a silly prop target they put on their forehead would have conveyed the same meaning. It's not like she has achieved Trump, Putin, Bolsonaro or hell even JKR infamy or iconicity (in the most uncharitable meaning of the word) where she can be used for this. This assertion that I'm comparing you to her because of her right-wing ideology doesn't even make sense when you already successfully identified the obvious parallel that is readily apparent in the picture.

And again, I'm not trying to make a point or win an argument: It was specifically meant as mockery of the tone you're trying to set because I think your argument, if it can be called that, is disingenuous and you're trying to push a "us vs. them" narrative and attributing feelings ("sheer hatred"? really) that don't exist.

edit: see, I replaced the picture now you can feel appropriately mocked for your silly argument

Last edited:
Instead of Achievements, Nintendo should introduce Failures.

Failure Unlocked: Completed 100% of Xenoblade 3 while your wife has been sleeping with another man behind your back.

Failure Unlocked: Obtained the highest rank in Splatoon 3 but you forgot to study for your final exams.

Failure Unlocked: You finished the main story but you didn't like the game so you wasted your time and money, dumbass.

@ me next time

I think people 'pro-Achievements' here are more stressed out than us 'anti-Achievements'; Seriously tho.. when I brought the subject few days ago, it wasn't to attack anyone that likes this kind of stuff.. I even said that, if by venture, Nintendo once gave up and implemented that, it wouldn't be the end of the world for me.. is just that I appreciate they didn't and it's more pleasing to play games on their consoles because of that.

It wasn't ever about attacking anyone that feels like Trophies and Achievements are the best thing invented since sliced bread, and definetly I didn't come up to point fingers at anyone.

Just like I'd like to be not being called 'creepy' for hating the concept on a system-level implementation (again, I'm totally fine with in-game achievements like Mario Odyssey)

From now on I'll only post about things I hate that Nintendo does, so as not to creep anyone out. I'm sorry to have made people uncomfortable.

I am once again posting to say that I hate friend codes. I get that it's supposed to be a barrier of entry to protect young people, but it pretty much doesn't when they use Twitter. Let parental controls take care of that, give the rest of us normal friend matching.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the multiplayer system on Nintendo Switch. The fact that my Splatoon buddies and I can't stay queued together while using different modes, using tickets in the lobby, etc is arcane.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the eShop. Holy shit does it suck. I rarely need a cart but the few times that I have (Indie World shadowdrop days, for example) it has been so annoying. The minimalism of the Switch menus are officially for speed, but the eShop, a webpage, is slow.

I am once again posting to say that, sorry as I am to bring it up, I hate that there's not been a Switch Pro. I was really hoping we'd get some more processing power at some point, and even if the battery upgrades in 2019 were nice, I'd like to be playing Animal Crossing without frame drops by now.

I am once again posting to say that I hate the icon rotation on NSO. Yeah, these have been called Nintendo's take on achievements and, sorry for breaking the narrative @Benzychenz and @Plum, but I hate these even more than the real deal. And Nintendo did it! I thought I was supposed to be a one-dimensional Nintendrone and/or a Nincel. My bad. Anyway, my distaste for achievements comes from the way that they recontextualize playing video games as an errand, and holy fuck does the NSO feature do it worst. Play the mobile games to get points, go on our websites and click things to get points, open Super Metroid to get points, etc. And you have a week to get them all! It's completely obnoxious, and Nintendo is the company that did it.

I hate stomach bugs that have your bodily contents exiting from multiple areas.

I wish you a speedy recovery.

Me and my friends had a saying for this very scenario in our young adulthood- we called it winning.

And I have still no idea how we came to the conclusion that this in any way was winning, maybe that was the joke. But when ever someone say that they won at anything, I get a bit grossed out and laugh at the same time.

as much as I'd like to continue the shitting on Nintendo in perpetuity, I'm sick of complaining

right now I don't have to deal with shitty achievements, besides the NSO missions and rewards crap, so in the future I'll just hold my tongue and silently hope they're never added. If they are, I'll be sure to be very unpleasant about it to @Plum and @Benzychenz specifically

I am once again posting to say that I hate the eShop. Holy shit does it suck. I rarely need a cart but the few times that I have (Indie World shadowdrop days, for example) it has been so annoying. The minimalism of the Switch menus are officially for speed, but the eShop, a webpage, is slow.

I don't know why they've added infinite scrolling. It's the fucking worst.

I think we all gotta chill out about achievements because it’s making this thread get spicy in a bad way

You think the Switch eShop is slow?

I loaded up the Wii U one to buy a few things before it gets shut down and holy fuck.

You think the Switch eShop is slow?

I loaded up the Wii U one to buy a few things before it gets shut down and holy fuck.
Yeah it’s because the Wii U eShop has music. It takes up all the system’s resources and causes it to lag. That’s why the Switch eShop doesn’t have music. (Still slow though)

This was supposed to be a joke but it’s not funny. I just woke up, I need coffee haha

actually I will continue to complain about the eshop

its loading is so inefficient, I think the previews hurt it a bit

I think so too. The previews should honestly be restricted to the "Featured" tab because they're pretty much useless anywhere else.

a buddy of mine is playing Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts and to get 100% he has to play online and find someone with a specific rare achievement to play with

Achievements imo would be kinda cool if they were just an automatic gaming log. The completionism vibe and score hunting is what ruins it. Would be cool if it was just a "hey I did this thing back then" thing, without showing how many achievements are left and neither giving points for them.
I guess I can just ignore the score XD maybe just by it existing it kinda changes the vibe of the platform though, with people comparing profiles
This is pretty much my opinion too - I don’t really mind achievements themselves, but I don’t like the focus on score hunting that goes with it. If Nintendo does end up implementing a system-level achievement system, I hope they come up with a unique way of handling it that can only be described as “Nintendo-like.”

a buddy of mine is playing Banjo Kazooie Nuts and Bolts and to get 100% he has to play online and find someone with a specific rare achievement to play with
Awww man I have been meaning to replay that game. I genuinely love it so much.

Lmao i agree. Oops sorry, subject is kinda ded already.

Last edited:
I've soften my opinions on Nuts & Bolts; I appreciate the different flavor and I do like the fanservice in place.

My issues with the designs kinda fade away when playing the game,.. but I still find vehicles annyoing tho.

I'm seriously peeved that I wasn't @-ed while you guys picked me apart

if someone hadn't posted a picture of a raccoon last night I probably wouldn't have seen this at all

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom