• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok what the fuck is wrong with this 1v3 minigame area in Mario Party Superstars?

I’m repeating the last set of mini games over and over because the AI refuses to lose at Skewer Scurry. It just seems completely random as to if the AI gets “tricked” into not dodging the spikes, and you have to trick all 3 in like 20 seconds, and it’s the 4th game in the set so you have to replay the first 3 over and over…

Well, I'm back on my bullshit.

I'm playing Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness again.
I'm also back on my bullshit.

Sitting around listening to music while knowing I have a backlog to burn through but not knowing if I actually feel up to starting a new game.

My quick achievement anecdote is that I just jumped back into Bloodborne after 3 years and was able to figure out where I was because of my trophy list.

You achievement haters creep me out.

They often make me engage with mechanics I wouldn’t otherwise, and work as some extra motivation to really enjoy all a game has to offer.

The Wonderful 101 on Wii U I adored but I didn’t bother 100%ing it. The PS4 rerelease though I went above and beyond and got the platinum trophy and I really enjoyed my time with it.

I’m up to 95 platinum trophies. Might play the PS4 version of Hollow Knight for #100 tbh. Make that one something special.

If you don’t like them there’s system level options to turn off notifications and it’s like they don’t exist, so actively disliking them is weird.
I’m sorry my opinion creeps you out, I guess.

I maintain that if a game designer wants their games to have a task checklist, they can put one in their games. Some games, like Super Mario Odyssey, are better for it, especially because it doesn’t unlock until you’ve cleared the base game. However, designers should not be forced to compromise on their ideal player experience just so some meaningless profile-level number can go up.

I guess this constitutes a hot take?

1. Fuffelpups: * secretly makes DROP TABLE Adventure *
  2. It crashes Nintendo's database
  3. Nintendo's twitter: * panicking * "oh uh... ESHOP DOWN FOR SCHEDULED MAINTENANCE SUDDENLY KTHXBAI"
  4. Famiboards: "ooooh finally the Silksong shadowdrop!!"
Ah the old "fuffelpups -> nintendo -> famiboards" pipeline

I maintain that if a game designer wants their games to have a task checklist, they can put one in their games. Some games, like Super Mario Odyssey, are better for it, especially because it doesn’t unlock until you’ve cleared the base game. However, designers should not be forced to compromise on their ideal player experience just so some meaningless profile-level number can go up.

I guess this constitutes a hot take?
If they don’t care that much they can just put in the most basic list possible with like “complete level 1”, “complete level 2” etc with practically no effort.

But the fact that pretty much every game has some more unique trophies means that the vast majority of game designers don’t mind them.

And like, compromising their vision? Cmon lmao.

If they don’t care that much they can just put in the most basic list possible with like “complete level 1”, “complete level 2” etc with practically no effort.

But the fact that pretty much every game has some more unique trophies means that the vast majority of game designers don’t mind them.

And like, compromising their vision? Cmon lmao.
If Switch had mandatory per-game achievement lists I think it’d be dope if BOTW had exactly one achievement and it was just “defeat Calamity Ganon”

I dunno, I guess as I get older the less I care about that kind of thing, and actively want to go into games as blindly as possible. Sorry, I don’t mean to “hate” on achievements, I just don’t like the idea of them being mandatory, or having them on profiles because at that point it’s simply a show-off thing that COULD inadvertently spoil games. The Xbox dashboard showed me some Lost Judgment stuff I wish I hadn’t seen around launch because there was an achievement for it, in a way that was sorta unavoidable by me.

Anyway in my defence, you could take my position at least a little seriously instead of telling me I creep you out and saying things like “c’mon lmao”

The thing that creeps me out about @Derachi is the likelihood that his body won’t decay postmortem due to all the preservatives coursing through his veins from the subway products.

I’m ok with achievements, it’s the gamerscore culture that bugs me

Like who cares if you have 50,000 points if you had to play through crap like Ninjabread Man to get them

Ok y’all. Here’s my prediction for the June Direct.

Wednesday, June 15 is the date. 5 PM EST is the time.

And I hear you saying, “Why, Switchum, you DO realize the Direct will be on a Tuesday? And at 12 PM EST? That’s what they always do in June!” …to which I say, not this year. They only did that because of E3. Now that E3 will not be taking place this year, they will consider this a “normal” Direct (not an “E3” Direct) and henceforth, do it according to their normal schedule. That falls on a Wednesday this year, and would be at 5 PM EST.

Note that I’m not saying anything in regards to the quality of the showcase here… just the date and time. The games could still be so good that it FEELS like an “E3 Direct”. But we’ll get to that soon.

It will be announced early Tuesday morning on the 14th of June. Again, as this is not an “E3 Direct”, there is no need to announce it early. No schedule to adhere to; no other companies’ showcase times to officially contend to as part of an event. Why would they reveal it early if they don’t have to, given the fact that they typically announce it the day before for “normal” Directs?

Now for the games. I’ll only be converting first-party stuff as, quite frankly, I’m not too educated on third-party titles. In no particular order:

Updates/Reminders:
-Mario Strikers
-Splatoon 3
-Bayonetta 3
-Booster Course Pass Wave 2
-Xenoblade 3
-Three Hopes
-Advance Wars gets release date
-BoTW2 title reveal, gameplay footage
(Note that there is no presence for Pokémon Gen IX here. That will be in a Pokémon Presents one week prior.)

New games:
-Metroid Prime HD
-Fire Emblem next main series
-TP/WW HD double pack, launching 2022 so they fill their annual “Zelda” space

There will be a Treehouse immediately following the Direct. I believe this as they did one in Summer 2020 for Paper Mario, despite not having an E3 that year either. This proves they like having Treehouses in the summer, whether or not there is an E3.

If you read this far, thank you! Let me know what you think. If you just skipped to the end…

TL;DR: botw2 in june direct, also other stuff

Well, I'm back on my bullshit.

I'm playing Pokémon XD: Gale of Darkness again.
XD:GoD alongside Colosseum are unironically better than most main series games imo. The 2 will forever hold a special place in my heart. Really wish TPC would approve a switch port or something I'd easily spend $60 each for both

And I hear you saying, “Why, Switchum, you DO realize the Direct will be on a Tuesday? And at 12 PM EST? That’s what they always do in June!” …to which I say, not this year. They only did that because of E3. Now that E3 will not be taking place this year, they will consider this a “normal” Direct (not an “E3” Direct) and henceforth, do it according to their normal schedule. That falls on a Wednesday this year, and would be at 5 PM EST.

Note that I’m not saying anything in regards to the quality of the showcase here… just the date and time. The games could still be so good that it FEELS like an “E3 Direct”. But we’ll get to that soon.

It will be announced early Tuesday morning on the 14th of June. Again, as this is not an “E3 Direct”, there is no need to announce it early. No schedule to adhere to; no other companies’ showcase times to officially contend to as part of an event. Why would they reveal it early if they don’t have to, given the fact that they typically announce it the day before for “normal” Directs?

Now for the games. I’ll only be converting first-party stuff as, quite frankly, I’m not too educated on third-party titles. In no particular order:

Updates/Reminders:
-Mario Strikers
-Splatoon 3
-Bayonetta 3
-Xenoblade 3
-Three Hopes
(Note that there is no presence for Pokémon Gen IX here. That will be in a Pokémon Presents one week prior.)

New games:
-Metroid Prime HD

There will be a Treehouse immediately following the Direct. I believe this as they did one in Summer 2020 for Paper Mario, despite not having an E3 that year either. This proves they like having Treehouses in the summer, whether or not there is an E3.

If you read this far, thank you! Let me know what you think. If you just skipped to the end…

That’d be a lame as hell “E3” Direct. Zelda footage obviously is nice but as someone that doesn’t care for Fire Emblem the rest is stuff we know about and old games.

Needs a new Mario platformer, or DK, or Pikmin, or Rhythm Heaven, SOMETHING.

Updates/Reminders:
-Mario Strikers
-Splatoon 3
-Bayonetta 3
-Xenoblade 3
-Three Hopes

New games:
-Metroid Prime HD

this is a pretty realistic prediction, but I have one critique: the Direct will probably be at the usual E3 time so Treehouse doesn't go too late

I'm lowkey more excited for the next Pokemon Presents than I am for the next general direct. I really want to see more of Scarlet and Violet and how much Arceus gameplay it contains. Will it be a hybrid of turn based and real time battles like Arceus was, or will it be fully turn based? How big is the map? Will there be stuff off the routes, like hidden stuff? Will you be able to capture Pokemon without battling them? Are random encounters back? I'm excited to find out.

Man, I'm 4 levels into Star Fox 64 and I'm just not "getting" the control scheme at all. I like playing handheld, but the controls are super confusing when using joycons. I don't even know how to properly chase enemy ships or target them besides holding A to charge my attack. Honestly might just wait until I'm home from vacation so I can dock and use my N64 NSO controller.

Man, I'm 4 levels into Star Fox 64 and I'm just not "getting" the control scheme at all. I like playing handheld, but the controls are super confusing when using joycons. I don't even know how to properly chase enemy ships or target them besides holding A to charge my attack. Honestly might just wait until I'm home from vacation so I can dock and use my N64 NSO controller.
N64 games are always awkward without an N64 controller.

The N64 app is useless if you’re not using one tbh.

N64 games are always awkward without an N64 controller.

The N64 app is useless if you’re not using one tbh.

This. Part of it may be me playing my N64 for 25+ years, but I can barely play any game without that beautiful three-pronged controller. Outside of Mario Golf, I have barely touched the app since January when I let my brother borrow my controller.

Any time you want to return it buddy.....

Aw heck.

Apparently I’ve played 94/100 minigames but the selection screen doesn’t have “new dot” on any of the games.

Let’s try and remember..

av9yqKA.jpg
i own both wii u and switch ver,
Haha, same.
... I never did even end up acquiring the Wii U on which to play it.
Also had Bayonetta 1+2 for the console; it's a shame they decided to only offer the one as digital for Switch (unless one got the Japanese special edition)

Me: I should dig into the backlog and work on getting some games done since I have the time until late June when AI comes out

Also me: Starts the new Path of Exile season

I'm lowkey more excited for the next Pokemon Presents than I am for the next general direct. I really want to see more of Scarlet and Violet and how much Arceus gameplay it contains. Will it be a hybrid of turn based and real time battles like Arceus was, or will it be fully turn based? How big is the map? Will there be stuff off the routes, like hidden stuff? Will you be able to capture Pokemon without battling them? Are random encounters back? I'm excited to find out.
I feel like we can at least say random encounters aren't back (they haven't had them for three games now, not counting BDSP). But yeah the rest is stuff I'm also pretty curious about. I don't know if I'm more excited for a Presents than a full Direct but I'm definitely really excited for a Presents

Oh neat I didn’t realise Tennis Aces brought back Gooper Blooper.

I feel like Nintendo has backed off using enemies like that that don’t fit the “NSMB” style outside of RPG games.

You achievement haters creep me out.

They often make me engage with mechanics I wouldn’t otherwise, and work as some extra motivation to really enjoy all a game has to offer.

The Wonderful 101 on Wii U I adored but I didn’t bother 100%ing it. The PS4 rerelease though I went above and beyond and got the platinum trophy and I really enjoyed my time with it.

I’m up to 95 platinum trophies. Might play the PS4 version of Hollow Knight for #100 tbh. Make that one something special.

If you don’t like them there’s system level options to turn off notifications and it’s like they don’t exist, so actively disliking them is weird.

I hope they never add achievements because I'm really curious if someone can top "I need someone to tell me exactly how to play a game to enjoy myself and if you don't you're a creep"

I’ve come around in regards to trophies(

In the early PS3 days of trophies a bunch of them just sucked. Lots of grinding (remember the Tales of games, that’s almost criminal) and some of them were just no fun, with being difficult or online based.

During the PS4 era they softened up. I’ve played several VN and Telltale games that practically give you platinums, but I really enjoyed completing games like Spider-Man, Final Fantasy XV, Yakuza 6, Resident Evil 3, The Last of Us Part II etc.

The only one I didn’t enjoy was Days Gone but that was me being pigheaded because I almost had all trophies and I felt I had to fight the zombie horde feature which the game promised me earlier.

I wouldn’t mind Nintendo adding them; but only if they offer it like a twist, which would make you go say “huh I never knew I wanted this”

Yep. Remember when my son got noro and I literally thought I was gonna die when it started come out both ends at the same time. Didn’t know that much could come out of a person, but now I know why diarrheal illness is the number one childhood infectious disease killer and one of the top for all demographics.
How long did that particular illness last you? Uh... Asking for a friend (who happens to be up all night tonight hugging the toilet, and also me).

My take on trophies is that I don't care about trophies except for when you get a rare one on Xbox, which gives you a notification sound that is at once very satisfying and very annoying (and also usually somewhat interesting statistically)

So yeah that balances back to about neutral

This is probably what it boils down to for a lot of people. In my case, once time to play games became more limited, I had to learn how to discern the fluff from what I consider valuable content. Achievements didn't help with that, and often blurred the distinction because their existence can make some tasks seem more central to the game experience than they actually are. It's a pretty blatant 'carrot on a stick' approach to motivation.

And zooming out a bit: extrinsic motivators in general are nothing new to games, but they don't do a thing for certain people. If you're a 'mechanics first' kind of person, a lot of modern games just feel tremendously cluttered by ancillary systems that don't bring much to the core experience. Achievements are just the cherry on top, since it's the console system/pc storefront itself irrupting into the game. It's probably why people find them more palatable when they're integrated into the game, since at least those fit more neatly into the 'fiction'.

If I can turn achievements/throphies off I really don't care if they exist on a Nintendo console. It's not for me but if some people enjoy them I'm ok with them.

Monster Hunter World had a few trophies for catching rare little animals in the world and it made me pay attention to that little Pokémon-esque side mechanic that there’s not much reason to engage with otherwise and I ended up finding it really fun!

That’s the kind of stuff I mean.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom