• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barely Able

Yoshi
Pronouns
He/Him
1-E368-E20-1-C87-4-C6-D-8-D39-5711-A7-CC72-EE.jpg

Thank you all for allowing me the opportunity to host the May ST, and @BozPaggs for suggesting the title (I’ve got some fun things I can do with the theme). I’m sort of intimidated by all of the stellar STs that have come before me, but I’ll try to oversee a fun and inviting ST.

Before diving into the thread, I would like to make mention that this month is Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month. I encourage everyone to take the time to listen, learn, advocate, and express empathy. Resources can be found at this webpage developed by the Library of Congress.

May is also Lyme Disease Awareness Month, which is of special importance to me personally. As we move into the summer, I encourage everyone to conduct tick checks if they come back from a nature excursion and contact a medical professional if you think you might have had a tick-borne disease exposure. There can be long term symptoms, so early detection and prevention are important.

What’s May looking like for games and discussion?

tumbleweed-acegif-26.gif

It’s sort of a desert out there in terms of releases, with Nintendo having no first party titles this month. The month is bookended by the recently launched Nintendo Switch Sports (Shameless plug for my ST) and Mario Strikers, so Nintendo probably will be marketing for those releases. Major third party releases are also few and far between. Could be a good backlog clearing month.

The prospects of a direct are also a little low based on the recent Twitter direct, the usual June timeframe for the big summer direct, and even the Indie World Twitter account being more active with announcements. Check out @Sadist Nintendo Direct Speculation ST2 here.

Lack of games and announcements on the immediate horizon has never hurt the discussion, so we can expect a robust thread

I’m new here, is this thread for me?
The answer is yes! There are a lot of memes and shitposts that might fly over your head, but we want to be welcoming to everyone. Join as a member and start contributing. People are usually very welcoming, and we want an inclusive thread with many perspectives. Everyone be civil, have discussion and not arguments, and enjoy another thread.

This is ST8, where are 1-7?
Glad you asked:
ST1
ST2 - Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…
ST3 - Topical Threes
ST4 - Resurrections
ST5 - Xenodelayed Chronicles 3
ST6 - Marchful Mode
ST7 - Launch Timing Update For ST7 Sequel

Barely Able Building Associates

With our prime (4) real estate nowhere near ready for occupancy, the BABA is offering you the chance to remodel your current residence while you wait. Unfortunately, due to inflation and continued supply chain issues, you’ll have to be selective on what you upgrade. Here are the conditions of this once-in-a-thread offer:
  • You will be given 50,000 FamiBucks to upgrade rooms (i.e. what 2022/future releases you want the most).
  • Once you’ve exhausted your 50k, that’s it. All of your other rooms will stay as is with no chance to get those newer options (i.e. you can’t play games you didn’t buy and are stuck with the non-upgrade option I listed).
  • If you select one upgrade from a particular list, you can play that series but the series not selected will be unavailable to you (e.g. if you selected only Advance Wars under Game Room, you can play that entire series but Sonic series will be unavailable to you).
  • Some areas of the house are naturally more expensive, so weigh your options based on what you really want.
  • Have fun, it’s just a goofy game to fill the thread during downtime and help you think of what games you really want in the future.
Kitchen - 50,000 FB
The kitchen is the most expensive room to remodel. No additional funds will be left if this is chosen. Please see upgrade options below:

• The Sequel to the Legend of Zelda BOTW
If you choose not to upgrade the kitchen, you will be stuck with the Philips CD-i Zelda games as your only options in this franchise

Bathrooms
There are multiple bathrooms in a house, so you will be able to upgrade more than one, but Master Baths cost more than a standard bathroom. Please see upgrade options below:

Master Baths - 30,000 FB each

• Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Splatoon 3
  • Bayonetta 3
  • Pokémon Legends Arceus
  • Pokémon Scarlet
  • Pokémon Violet
Standard Baths - 20,000 FB each
  • Mario + Rabbids Sparks of Hope
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Dragon Quest 3 2DHD
  • Marvel’s Midnight Suns
Any options not selected will make those series unavailable. If you don’t choose an option, that series will be gone and you will be stuck playing Babylon’s Fall and Devil’s Third.

Game Room/Home Theatre - 10,000 FB each
The entertainment space isn’t as expensive, but adding up options could burn through your funds more quickly than you think. Please see upgrade options below:

• Live A Live
  • Fire Emblem Warriors: Three Hopes
  • Advance Wars 1+2 ReBoot Camp
  • Sonic Frontiers
  • AI The Somnium Files: nirvanA Initiative
  • Klonoa Phantasy Reverie Series
Any options not selected will make those series unavailable. If you choose not to upgrade the Game Room, you can only use it to watch the kissing seen in Sonic 2006 on loop.

Home Gym - 5,000 FB each

• Nintendo Switch Sports
  • Mario Strikers Battle League
If you choose not to upgrade the gym, the only Nintendo sports game you can play is Mario Tennis Ultra Smash

Lounge - 10,000 FB each
This room is dedicated to all things vapor. You may will into existence the following rumored games/untranslated games/vaporware.

• Pikmin 4
  • Metroid Prime HD
  • EPD Donkey Kong
  • Mario Kart 9
  • Mainline Persona
  • Fire Emblem New Game or Remaster
  • Resident Evil Switch
  • Namco 3D Remaster (Star Fox for this exercise)
  • Dragon Quest X Offline
  • Genshin Impact
  • Buddy Mission Bond
Any options not selected will make those series unavailable. If you don’t select any options, you can play the ultimate vaporware game, Duke Nukem Forever.

Garage - 5,000 FB each
Upgrade your garage into the ultimate indie band studio with these upgrades:

• Hollow Knight Silksong
  • Sports Story
  • TMNT: Shredder’s Revenge
  • OMORI
  • Sea of Stars
  • Bomb Rush Cyberfunk
  • Mineko’s Night Market
  • Neon White
  • Eiyuden Chronicle: Rising
  • Cuphead: The Delicious Last Course
I don’t keep up with bad indie games, so if you don’t select something, you cannot play indie games again. Those will be replaced with EA’s switch output.

Landscaping Service - 5,000 FB
Upgrade your NSO service to include GB/GBC/GBA games. Even GameCube will be added! If you don’t select this though, you can never play another game from a system that has been on a Nintendo Virtual Console service before.

Post your lists and total spent below!

Thank you for indulging me with this seemingly random game and allowing me the privilege of hosting this ST.

Last edited:
With our prime (4) real estate nowhere near ready for occupancy, the BABA is offering you the chance to remodel your current residence while you wait.
I see what you did there 😏
also, fantastic ST! The title image is perfection.

Great thread! BABA is making my head hurt with these options T_T

Though if I had to pick I'd go with:
  • 10 000 FB - FE Warriors 3 Hopes
  • 10 000 FB - Ai Nirvana Initiative
  • 10 000 FB - New Fire Emblem /Remake
  • 10 000 FB - Buddy Mission Bond
  • 5000 FB - Sea of Stars
  • 5000 FB - Hollow Knight Silksong

To get the most out of it I guess??
But but Sploon3, XB3 and BotW 2 tho.. 🥺

Great OP @Barely Able! I’ll take a stab at your game later tonight :)

I do want to say it’s not a totally dead month. We have NIS Classics Vol 2 and Eiyuden Chronicles Rising on May 10. Season 2 of Chocobo GP starts in the middle of May too and will give us two new tracks to play on!

I’ll be mostly tackling my backlog and playing Switch Sports each week. Incidentally, I just beat StarTropics II! The gameplay is much improved over the original (moving diagonally is very nice!), but I feel like the original had a better sense of adventure. Neat games, both of them. Hope Nintendo revives the series one day.

Great thread! BABA is making my head hurt with these options T_T

Though if I had to pick I'd go with:
  • 10 000 FB - FE Warriors 3 Hopes
  • 10 000 FB - Ai Nirvana Initiative
  • 10 000 FB - New Fire Emblem /Remake
  • 10 000 FB - Buddy Mission Bond
  • 5000 FB - Sea of Stars
  • 5000 FB - Hollow Knight Silksong

To get the most out of it I guess??
But but Sploon3, XB3 and BotW 2 tho.. 🥺
I was cold blooded on the prices of the major Nintendo releases. You pick BOTW2 and that’s all you get….

I finally read through the OP, and it's an easy decision for me. I might not be a video game enjoyer if not for Zelda turning me into one, and I can almost guarantee that I would not be a Nintendo fan without Zelda. There are a ton of Nintendo franchises that I love, but I only discovered them because I owned Nintendo consoles for Zelda. I have thought before how I would trade the opportunity to play every other video games if it meant I could keep playing every Zelda game. It's at this point that I should make a joke and pick something else, but no, I'm spending all 50,000 FamiBucks to remodel my kitchen so I can play the sequel to Breath of the Wild.

Sorry Fire Emblem.
Sorry Xenoblade.
Sorry Hollow Knight.
Sorry Advance Wars, your total sales have gone from 10 copies to 9 copies.
Sorry Dragon Quest.
Sorry Metroid Prime.
Sorry Sports Story.
Sorry Shredder's Revenge.
Sorry other games I want on the list in the OP that I am too busy and attractive to scroll back up to read.

I’m ringing in the new thread by posting at the airport. Not exactly my favorite place to be, but happy May everyone! May is going to be a weird mix of nothing, more nothing, and the calm before the storm (hopefully).

Financials on May 10th will be nice at least

May: the boring month

Hopefully that gets proved wrong, but it's looking like a slow one. At least we'll get Sunbreak news and probably a drip feed of XC3 news. Maybe a Three Hopes demo by the end of the month?

I’m glad there is more coming than I thought walking into the month. I might get Cotton if it isn’t too expensive.
The cotton games have been pretty high priced for shmup releases (in some sense). It’s $40 physical and digital. This is an ININ game so it’s usually pretty good compared to the city connection games in terms of input lag/options. Panorama Cotton started out not great, but they patched that to be respectable.

There are actually a few decent releases in May, just nothing I would consider major. Actually some good classic refreshes and compilations.

Hope Touken Ranbu Warriors has a demo like in japan.
I’m just glad it doesn’t seem to have any FOMO pre order DLC like most KT games. I’ll probably get it, but not right away. Not really into pretty guys or men in general (I normally play as ladies if I can,) but I love Musou.

can I get another YEE

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

The cotton games have been pretty high priced for shmup releases (in some sense). It’s $40 physical and digital. This is an ININ game so it’s usually pretty good compared to the city connection games in terms of input lag/options. Panorama Cotton started out not great, but they patched that to be respectable.

There are actually a few decent releases in May, just nothing I would consider major. Actually some good classic refreshes and compilations.
Yeah if it is $40 again I’ll probably skip it. I liked Reboot a lot, but I only played through it once so far.

Good evening sports game fans! I have come back from watching Everything Everywhere All At Once and what a delightful mindfuck of a film! Highly rated, truthfully I put it up there with Cloud Atlas for being one of my new favourite films in the last 10 or 15 years!

Congrats on the new ST, @Barely Able ! Can't wait to give my take on your game because oof it already looks like some hard decisions need to be made 🙃

Additionally, I have since learned that the Joysound Karaoke Switch game is manageable with the Google Lens translate option (and they have more Bruce Springsteen songs than I expected!), but alas no free ten hour period like I was led to believe; just discounted rates on tickets for the duration of Golden Week. Either way, more songs than I realized they had (Carly Rae Jepsen? Deep cuts from E•Mo•Tion?? Cut To The Feeling???) Knowing this I can definitely see myself getting an eShop card from Amazon JP in the future just to unlock the 3 hour tickets to play karaoke with friends in the near future. Just a shame the Android app isn't as friendly for Anglophone eyes haha

My choice is the kitchen upgrade, btw. Could play all the games over and over and BOTW2 is easily my most anticipated. I even like Triforce heroes and crossbow training!

Good evening sports game fans! I have come back from watching Everything Everywhere All At Once and what a delightful mindfuck of a film! Highly rated, truthfully I put it up there with Cloud Atlas for being one of my new favourite films in the last 10 or 15 years!

Congrats on the new ST, @Barely Able ! Can't wait to give my take on your game because oof it already looks like some hard decisions need to be made 🙃

Additionally, I have since learned that the Joysound Karaoke Switch game is manageable with the Google Lens translate option (and they have more Bruce Springsteen songs than I expected!), but alas no free ten hour period like I was led to believe; just discounted rates on tickets for the duration of Golden Week. Either way, more songs than I realized they had (Carly Rae Jepsen? Deep cuts from E•Mo•Tion?? Cut To The Feeling???) Knowing this I can definitely see myself getting an eShop card from Amazon JP in the future just to unlock the 3 hour tickets to play karaoke with friends in the near future. Just a shame the Android app isn't as friendly for Anglophone eyes haha
Glad you got a Japan account working. Sorry you didn’t get a free trial.

Wait wait wait
I knew you were a Pontiac guy
But you're also a fan of Cloud Atlas and Carly Rae??
Remind me again what your thoughts are on Sonic and Xenoblade?

And while we're at it, australian shepherds too

Glad you got a Japan account working. Sorry you didn’t get a free trial.
No need to be sorry at all, I'm still very thankful you were able to find a guide when my Google skills were failing me! At least if I have friends over in the near future we can get obnoxious with karaoke singing as long as I can still grab an eShop card in yen in the future haha

Wait wait wait
I knew you were a Pontiac guy
But you're also a fan of Cloud Atlas and Carly Rae??
Remind me again what your thoughts are on Sonic and Xenoblade?

And while we're at it, australian shepherds too
The book and movie, amazing adaptation. CRJ, my friend put me onto her in August of 2019, from August to December she weaseled her way into #3 of my Spotify top artists list that year EXCLUSIVELY from E•Mo•Tion on repeat (and into my heart; my goodness what a crush I have on her)

Sonic The Hedgehog, the 2D games are where it's at and are never a bad time. 3D games...I think the last one I played for longer than an hour and enjoyed was Sonic Heroes, to be honest 😅 I really hope something is different for Frontiers and it finally clicks, but I'm holding out on reviews. I watched the first movie, liked it but didn't love it, more excited for StH2 feat. Idris the Echidna

Xenoblade...ahh, I have bought all the games on Wii, Wii U and Switch (including a double dip on XC1), but I've never once been able to complete them. I really, really want to fix that, but for that reason I'm holding off on XC3 because I still have the deluxe edition of 2 sealed in box 🙃 I'm also scared the games just aren't for me, but I keep those crazy thoughts far in the back of my mind

Australian Shepherds look like good bois and would look kindly on them (I do have a Sheltie haha), but I'm still a sucker for a pet bunny 😋

Congrats to @Barely Able on the new thread, and also glad to see so many fans of the great, talented, alas underrated CRJ here

Hell yeah, I adore Cloud Atlas (despite it having some noticable issues).

For the ST game, I’m taking Xenoblade 3, Sports Story and Virtual Console for sure. The latter is essential for all the SNES and Gamecube games and is by far the most bang for your buck. For the last 10,000 points, probably Mario Kart 9 since you’d keep 8 Deluxe that way. Smash Ultimate and Mario Odyssey are already safe.

Ah, new month, new thread.

...so if I don't pick Mario + Rabbids, does that block me from the entire Mario franchise (besides Strikers and Kart), or just the Mario RPGs? I need me my Super Mario, friends.

The book and movie, amazing adaptation. CRJ, my friend put me onto her in August of 2019, from August to December she weaseled her way into #3 of my Spotify top artists list that year EXCLUSIVELY from E•Mo•Tion on repeat (and into my heart; my goodness what a crush I have on her)

Sonic The Hedgehog, the 2D games are where it's at and are never a bad time. 3D games...I think the last one I played for longer than an hour and enjoyed was Sonic Heroes, to be honest 😅 I really hope something is different for Frontiers and it finally clicks, but I'm holding out on reviews. I watched the first movie, liked it but didn't love it, more excited for StH2 feat. Idris the Echidna

Xenoblade...ahh, I have bought all the games on Wii, Wii U and Switch (including a double dip on XC1), but I've never once been able to complete them. I really, really want to fix that, but for that reason I'm holding off on XC3 because I still have the deluxe edition of 2 sealed in box 🙃 I'm also scared the games just aren't for me, but I keep those crazy thoughts far in the back of my mind

Australian Shepherds look like good bois and would look kindly on them (I do have a Sheltie haha), but I'm still a sucker for a pet bunny 😋
face-off-action.gif

(with the exception of you not having finished a Xenoblade 😅)

Yall it's midnight and I might've accidentally spent the entire day playing Nier Automata.
also the speedster robot that keeps wanting to race is blue and has the gold star-in-ring insignia on him because he gotta go fast and I can't take it 🌀💨

Yall it's midnight and I might've accidentally spent the entire day playing Nier Automata.
also the speedster robot that keeps wanting to race is blue and has the gold star-in-ring insignia on him because he gotta go fast and I can't take it 🌀💨
Ah yes, my first ever platinum trophy.
Because I bought all the missing trophies in the secret shop. Also, it still frustrates me when people say you have to beat the game three times. You beat the game one time. It is one long playthrough.

Last edited:
Ah yes, my first ever platinum trophy.
Because I bought all the missing trophies in the secret shop. Also, it still frustrates me when people say you have to beat the game three times. You beat the game one time. It is one long playthrough.
I feel like Marvel started it, but now between DQXI and Nier I'm becoming increasingly skeptical of end credits.
even Lord of the Rings had the decency to put all four endings before the credits 😏

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom