• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST8 May 2022| Prime Real E-ST8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seeing Raven vote overwhelmingly to unionise gives me hope for the people in this industry.

pokemon_brilliant_diamond_dialga_close_up_2122.0.jpg

So what’s the overall consensus on Bugsnax? Is it actually fun to play or is the focus more on the narrative/twists? Should I wait for a deep discount? I feel like that game got a ton of hype during the PS5 reveal > launch period, but then the conversation got buried away out of sight faster than a Japanese sales thread on Era.
It’s fun! It’s about the only Ape Escape-like around.
Figuring out how to catch the snacks isn’t always very deep but it’s satisfying to complete an area and catch everything all the same.

Just curious...how often do people dig into the retro libraries on NSO? I feel like they get a lot of discussion and hype but a lot of people don't actually play the old games very much.

I've got something like 35 hours on SNES, 30 on N64, 15 on NES, and I haven't touched the Genesis app yet.

Earthbound zero and Earthbound put me over 30 hours alone. Then I beat Super Metroid, so I'm probably over 40 hours.

Is Switch Sports worth getting if you mostly are going to play it alone? My spouse probably won't be interested, our friends and family aren't going to be fired up to play, and I have zero interest in playing online.

I wouldn't mind playing against a decent COM, though. It looks fun enough that I sort of want to get in on it.
I’m in basically the same boat - not a ton of opportunities for in-person multiplayer. Playing online is simple and is much more fun than playing against the CPU. But even so, I’ve had the game for over a week and I already feel like I’m done with it. I should have expected that, but still.. very disappointing.

This is why I’m going to skip Mario Strikers next month. It’s basically guaranteed to not have much in the way of single player content.

I just think it's funny that Disney would entertain the idea of buying EA when they just ditched their games division a handful of years ago.

Had a crazy past two weeks with a neverending norovirus and a birthday party for my youngest that's been like 3 months in the planning but now it's all over and I just want to sleep for 3 days.
That is certainly a wild 2 weeks. You've had the virus yourself? Definitely make room for proper rest, friend; the condition I have is sometimes caused my post-viral fatigue and I really don't recommend it. Let your body and brain get back on form if you can!

sort of like the idea of getting this, but I'm part way into 2 decent length RPGs I love (Mass Effect and Triangle Strategy), and by the time I finish them, I bet I'll be right on the cusp of The Summer Binge (Sonic Origins, Three Hopes, Sunbreak, Live Alive, Xenoblade 3, Two Point Campus, Splatoon 3).

That is certainly a wild 2 weeks. You've had the virus yourself? Definitely make room for proper rest, friend; the condition I have is sometimes caused my post-viral fatigue and I really don't recommend it. Let your body and brain get back on form if you can!
Yeah my wife and I had it too, lasted like 3 days or so for me. The thing about having 2 small kids though is that you can't really get proper rest, especially when those kids are my kids and are absurdly needy and like to fall down the stairs if they're not being watched like a hawk.

I think I would've gotten over it in 1 day if I could afford to rest.

sort of like the idea of getting this, but I'm part way into 2 decent length RPGs I love (Mass Effect and Triangle Strategy), and by the time I finish them, I bet I'll be right on the cusp of The Summer Binge (Sonic Origins, Three Hopes, Sunbreak, Live Alive, Xenoblade 3, Two Point Campus, Splatoon 3).
I’d strongly recommend against getting Pokémon BDSP. It’s probably the weakest mainline Pokémon game ever released.

This is the one game I'm interested in:

Twin-Blades-of-the-Three-Kingdoms-Screenshot-001.jpg

Twin Blades of the Three Kingdoms – May 26th (Switch)​

Here’s the lone Switch exclusive on this week’s list, and it’s a fairly straightforward one. Twin Blades of the Three Kingdoms is a retro strategy RPG themed around the classic Chinese novel Romance of the Three Kingdoms. Can anyone name a single book with more games based on it?

To its name, the game boasts “over 120 generals,” a “highly flexible battle system”, and authentic 8-bit tunes by BUNBUN aka Yasuaki Fujita, who composed the soundtrack to Tenchi wo Kurau II (the Japan-only sequel to that old NES game Destiny of an Emperor). That’s quite the pedigree, and I’m sure it’ll especially appeal to fans who grew up with those old Capcom games. The Switch eShop is currently the only way to get Twin Blades, so keep that in mind when you go looking for it.

Didn't even know this was coming out soon!

...Oh yeah, and the other RPGs on the list are cool too, ig

I’m struggling to think of another mainline Pokémon game that’s weaker than BDSP. Even SwSh, which I loathe, I’d put above BDSP. They are mediocre in every way.
They’re, like, objectively better than the original Diamond and Pearl, for one (excluding presentation since that’s a matter of taste, I suppose). Aside from that I guess it depends on what makes a Pokémon game “strong” or “weak” to you. For me, it’s incredibly hard to go back to the older Pokémon games that lack all of the quality of life improvements that the newer games have, so I’d rank all of the newer games over the older games when it comes to user experience, personally. I have plenty of nitpicks with Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, but they’re definitely worth $30 for a new Pokémon game—that’s a really good sale.

Speaking of DS, did anyone ever play any DS games on Wii U? How is that experience?
Not great but decent enough. Tons of play option so can send whatever screen you want to the TV or gamepad. Or hold vertically to have both on there. Considering some of these games are prohibitively expensive (like PMD:EoS), it’s a good idea to get a few things. Even made some code edits to get things to work without online in animal crossing for example. No online does lessen some experiences though.

They’re, like, objectively better than the original Diamond and Pearl, for one (excluding presentation since that’s a matter of taste, I suppose). Aside from that I guess it depends on what makes a Pokémon game “strong” or “weak” to you. For me, it’s incredibly hard to go back to the older Pokémon games that lack all of the quality of life improvements that the newer games have, so I’d rank all of the newer games over the older games when it comes to user experience, personally. I have plenty of nitpicks with Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, but they’re definitely worth $30 for a new Pokémon game—that’s a really good sale.
I get you, DPPt are some of my favourite in the series mostly because of kid's nostalgia.
My first game was Emerald, and when I played Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire, I didn't like them because it didnt have the Emerald features, some routes and cities didn't look equal to the original and they removed the bike puzzles from the Sky Tower, I felt like it was incomplete without that stuff, however with time they grew on me and I believe they are incredible Pokémon games.
I have been craving for a Gen 4 remake for years... when I saw the BDSP announcement trailer, I went speechless, because I didnt know what I was seeing, the game looked awful...like a mobile game, at least they could mantain the original asteticque...it was nothing like I imagined, I was expecting them adapting Sinnoh to the SWSH engine, but i didn't hate it...I waited to see how it went... and after I've played it I can surely say that although the core of the game (region, music, story) is there and is amazing, the game feels soulless. No Platinum features... again. It feels like some kind of clone or ripoff for mobile of the original.
As a game I would say it would be a 30€/40€ experience as it was priced during the DS days, not 60€...

For a bit of context, i believe since gen 6, Pokémon core games have been going downhill, Gen 6 was alright, Gen 7 was absolute crap..., Gen 8 improved and was better than gen 7 but not as good as gen 6, and let's see how it goes, I don't count Legends Arceus as a main game, because it doesnt is the traditional formula. I just want Scarlet and Violet to be an improvement over SWSH.

Speaking of DS, did anyone ever play any DS games on Wii U? How is that experience?
I only ever bought NSMB DS, and is pretty cool how they give you multiple configurations to display the two screens (most comfortable for this game is having the lower screen always on Gamepad); --It's a pain to capture footage tho!

I wish I bought more DS games like Prime Hunters and Jungle Climber

I watched a couple youtube videos about Marvel movie breakdowns and now my Recommended is chock fuckin full of videos that say "MARVEL OFFICIALLY CONFIRMS THIS THING" so I google and the thing is always 100% rumor and speculation based on stuff third parties outside Marvel are doing and I generally imagine that's what gaming discourse is like outside this forum.

It's mouth watering to think that as good as this year's Switch lineup looks already, there's most likely still excellent games yet to be revealed.

I mean, this time last year they hadn't yet announced Metroid Dread.

This time in 2020 they hadn't yet announced Ori and the Will of the Wisps or Age of Calamity.

This time in 2019 they hadn't yet announced Witcher 3, Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, or Ori and the Blind Forest.

(Obviously there are a lot more than just these, they were just the ones that stood out the most for me)

2022 may not even have shown the best it has to deliver yet.

It's mouth watering to think that as good as this year's Switch lineup looks already, there's most likely still excellent games yet to be revealed.

I mean, this time last year they hadn't yet announced Metroid Dread.

This time in 2020 they hadn't yet announced Ori and the Will of the Wisps or Age of Calamity.

This time in 2019 they hadn't yet announced Witcher 3, Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair, or Ori and the Blind Forest.

(Obviously there are a lot more than just these, they were just the ones that stood out the most for me)

2022 may not even have shown the best it has to deliver yet.
I've thought about that... With Zelda out of the way, will they have another big games ready that we don't know yet?
Last year they announced like 4 1st party games at E3 for the year (WarioWare, Mario Party, Metroid, Advance Wars....)
Wish they do something like that again... + the usuals Xenoblade, Splatoon, Bayonetta..
Hope they dont delay Bayo, but i have a feeling

Seeing people disappointed in this really boils down to Xbox spoiling us. I don't need a Rez and frame boost (both would be nice) but just having the games on new hardware makes me happy.
That’s not what this is about lol.

We just want the 60hz versions.

The N64 NSO app literally just has both versions available. No reason Sony can’t do the same thing.

I should go back and restart Tropical Freeze. Got up to world 4 or something?

I got really burned out with Nintendo’s 2D platformer overload at the time lol

I’m surprised about those 50hz Sony classics.

That was one of the biggest criticisms for its PS1 mini. And perhaps there’s an argument of why they chose those titles for the mini but I figured for sure they’ll follow Nintendo and just let you pick.

I think they’ll fix this issue. No way they can charge more and let this fly by anymore. In a few months perhaps or soon if people are loud about it for the time being

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom