• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST32 May 2024| Endless Ocean Season!, Paper Mario Season!

Which Season?

• Total voters
The most mysterious GrΓΆgol of all, not even Professor Milbog knows what the hell it is, just an ordinary Australian Shepherd πŸ’œ
in retrospect you're not far off

It was today when I realised the World 6 theme from Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes from Peach's Castle in Mario 64. If you listen closely you can hear the harpsichord of Peach's castle trying to break through the (I believe) theremin of Galaxy.

Galaxy 2 doesn't match the vibe peaks of Galaxy 1, but WOW does some of the music bring the vibes in droves.

If I'm not mistaken there's some additional quotation's from Peach is Saved.

World 6's song has always left me with a sense of weird nostalgic dread, and I couldn't put my finger on it until today. And the fun jazzy back and forth with the harp and the organ, god, it's so good.

(Someone correct me if I'm off base on some of the instruments being used.)

It was today when I realised the World 6 theme from Super Mario Galaxy 2 comes from Peach's Castle in Mario 64. If you listen closely you can hear the harpsichord of Peach's castle trying to break through the (I believe) theremin of Galaxy.

Galaxy 2 doesn't match the vibe peaks of Galaxy 1, but WOW does some of the music bring the vibes in droves.

If I'm not mistaken there's some additional quotation's from Peach is Saved.

World 6's song has always left me with a sense of weird nostalgic dread, and I couldn't put my finger on it until today. And the fun jazzy back and forth with the harp and the organ, god, it's so good.

(Someone correct me if I'm off base on some of the instruments being used.)

A wild @Concernt appears! πŸ˜‹

But dang I never noticed that before! I had to really strain my ears to hear that melody in the background, but once it clicked I can't stop hearing it now haha

A wild @Concernt appears! πŸ˜‹

But dang I never noticed that before! I had to really strain my ears to hear that melody in the background, but once it clicked I can't stop hearing it now haha

It feels like it's strained and looping in weird and unintended ways. Props to the composer. This is way beyond a remix while still being subtly the same sorta underlying melody, if my ears do not decieve me. The Mario Wiki doesn't note it as being an arrangement, remix or having been originally composed by anyone in particular. I don't think we even know who precisely composed this one, but props to them.

Cool! Can I get in there under the name Hamfest?
you can... but if your initials are AH you might already be loosely referenced in it??

(probably grasping at straws but there is a .0000001% chance I know you)

My initials are some other letters! What coincidence suggests the connection?
oh, a distant stretch... nothing to worry about

other fests from other times with other Hs

if anyone else out there thinks they're subject to my ramblings, blink twice if your activation phrase is seajazz

oh, a distant stretch... nothing to worry about

other fests from other times with other Hs

if anyone else out there thinks they're subject to my ramblings, blink twice if your activation phrase is seajazz
Oh cool! That's a fun coincidence

a further, spoilery clarification...

* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

rio_584x800_7a83f253.jpeg

rket Sweep
NGL, this is the answer I expected from @EvilChameleon

Once xbox goes full multiplatform. I bet Nintendo will go and work with rare to make some exclusive games.
That would go against the idea of them being "full multiplatform", they haven't actually indicating they intend to end the Xbox hardware line.

I could see Nintendo being part of a marketing push for a new Rare game, like they did for Penny's Big Breakaway.

I haven't played Prodigal but I've played that studio's other game, Curse Crackers, and ... yeah no, I desperately need more games to start aping that GBC vibe. It's perfect
I couldn't quite get into the gameplay of Curse Crackers but I really like Prodigal so far and their upcoming game Veritus looks great as well:

Hope they bring both to Switch eventually.

• In 2009, Nickelodeon acquired the rights of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
  • In 2019, Nickelodeon acquires Paws Inc., the Garfield guys.
What Intellectual Property would Nick acquire in 2029?

saw this and my sleep deprived brain was like "this is like someone restoring the great library of alexandria but replacing all the characters with ocs" and i dont know why i thought this would be a good thought to have

that character is literally just Arale

dr-slump-run.gif

HOW COULD I FORGET??

well. see. it's 60 unique key NPCs and 60 classes of NPC with 20 variants each...

but it's bugging me. because my ass forgot that 720p was 1280px wide (literally caused a bug I recently fixed, definitely put it in as 1260px)

and I was really satisfied with 1260... until I realized my mistake

so there's about room for twenty floaters in the mix, tbh

oh my god. and how could I forget... I left off most of the bands?!

alright, that does it.

WHO WANTS A GUEST SPOT THAT DOESN'T ALREADY HAVE ONE?

I am accepting maybe up to 20

Poisy Dingus is a lock
πŸ‘€

Sure :)

I’m looking forward to playing your game, it looks wild!

HOW COULD I FORGET??

well. see. it's 60 unique key NPCs and 60 classes of NPC with 20 variants each...

but it's bugging me. because my ass forgot that 720p was 1280px wide (literally caused a bug I recently fixed, definitely put it in as 1260px)

alright, that does it.

Poisy Dingus is a lock
i’d like to be a floater

HOW COULD I FORGET??

alright, that does it.

Poisy Dingus is a lock

I rarely actually post here but I've been told I make for good filler content before!

How do you discover new music? YouTube?
I used to use Discover Weekly on Spotify on and off, because depending on the period it could either be completely worthless and just give me random Beatles covers and songs I had already listened to each week, or it could be actually useful and give me the saxophone's boss theme.

See, I've frankly never felt any concentrated effort to explore has been worthwhile, because practically every major discovery I've made in recent years has felt like it happened through a series of random coincidences that are tangentially related to the method I used to try and find music at best.

At the beginning of 2020, the opening to Keep Your Hands Off Eizouken became a meme, and I ended up hearing chelmico's Easy Breezy a couple times. It's this Japanese ska-rap song based around a slide guitar riff? What? I was so enthused by this that it singlehandedly reignited my interest in current music, and I made a vow to myself to listen to 1000 new releases that year, which I chose mostly via Rate Your Music's 2020 singles chart. And... they all sucked? Like, damn, that website has the most boring taste imaginable. I found less than ten good songs through this method, and most of those were one-offs by acts where further exploration didn't yield anything of note. One was Still Woozy, a generic mumbly sad indie guy who had one song I liked in Window, but then never seemed to do anything else of note. Until one day in 2022, when he put out a great single called Pool, with someone called Remi Wolf. I liked her voice, so I went and checked out her music. And was then amazed when I went back through her discography, and every single release was just as good. She became hands down my favorite artist active today, especially if we don't count game music, and I only knew she existed because of an absurd string of coincidences that started with an anime meme that lasted about a week. I don't even watch anime!

I got into Silvana Estrada not from the charts, but from a random post on the website's forums. I only discovered tricot because a song I didn't even like much showed up on the singles chart, and I ended up investigating further and finding ones I was into. So looking back on all that, I feel like my efforts were almost totally meaningless. I have since embraced the chaos which has delivered bounty unto me. (Purely coincidentally, embracing chaos requires no special effort on my part.)

Probably partially because who we'd remember as Rare is essentially now Playtonic πŸ˜…
Definitely not. Playtonic's Rare alumni is mostly one programmer (Chris Sutherland) and a few artists who worked on DKC and Banjo. It's impressive how much they've managed to sell themselves as "the new old Rare" to people despite missing most of the main team behind those games. The things that were felt the most in Yooka-Laylee were definitely the absence of Gregg Mayles (lead designer on the Banjo games) and Leigh Loveday (the writer). The level design was funnier than the writing.

saw this and my sleep deprived brain was like "this is like someone restoring the great library of alexandria but replacing all the characters with ocs" and i dont know why i thought this would be a good thought to have

To be fair I think this is actually nicer looking than Sonic Adventure 2 ever was.

If you showed me the two side by side the OCs would win.

the food groups are:

β€’ beige
β€’ shapes
β€’ tall
β€’ dirt
β€’ long

After taking a hiatus, I'm now back to Tears of the Kingdom using some guides along the way and, folks, let me tell you, I highly regret ever taking a break from this game. It's so well done even with the steep learning curve in the beginning.

also @VolcanicDynamo I know you weren't part of the Suspect wave but I've put you in as a baker and you're getting significant dialogue!
Aww yeah, now we're baking up something good! 🍞 Thanks, pal.

...this reminds me that I should probably go eat. Do not be like me and get wrapped up in work for several hours and just...not eat dinner until now!

Any time I go back to Mario Land 1, I'm just struck by how much Gameboy games improved over time

Like, Mario Land 1? Sorta "we have SMB1 at home". But then Mario Land 2 is basically Super Mario World Lite, on the same '89 hardware

...I mean I'm sold on the game's premise alone if Sega won't bother with remastering SA2:B with Sonic Advance on NSO

Hey at least they're OCs

Even that ain't totally guaranteed in ripoffs these days

Back
Top Bottom