• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Derachi

Fresh Eater
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
st2.png

Welcome to the FamiBoards StarTopic for Nintendo General Discussions for the month of November of the year 2021.

Wow, it’s finally my turn to make a Nintendo discussion thread! Hope I don’t mess it up!

What is the purpose of this thread?

This thread is, ostensibly, a conversation about Nintendo. However, anyone who has spent any time here will tell you: it’s much more than that. The Nintendo General Discussion thread is a place to hang out and talk to friendly folks from all different walks of life about a wide range of subjects. Obviously, Nintendo is the glue that holds us together, but the conversation here can vary wildly in topic. From the goings-on of our personal lives, to what fast food sandwiches we enjoy most. There is very little that could be considered off-topic in this thread.

So, monthly threads, huh?

This was put to a vote in the previous ST, and “monthly threads” won by a pretty solid landslide. This allows much easier navigation through previous threads. For example, if you wanted to see how people reacted to a news item in a particular month, it’d be much easier to track down the exact moment in time when the threads are broken out monthly. This also allows for whoever is responsible for STs to know exactly when to have the thread ready by and when to post them. For example, the bozo responsible for |ST Nov. 2021| was able to have this ready to go at the exact second he knew it would be needed! Very convenient.

Are we allowed to discuss games in a way that might spoil the game for someone who hasn’t played it!

Sure! However, please make ample use of FamiBoards’ wonderful spoiler tags! If there is something you’re not sure constitutes a spoiler, it is always better to stay on the safe side and use them. You never know who is trying to go into a game as blindly as possible, so sometimes even late-game mechanics of a newly released video game might be better placed under a spoiler tag than left in the open. There are no hard guidelines or timeframes for when something no longer constitutes a spoiler, so use your common sense and discretion.

Enough beating around the proverbial bush, what’s going on with Nintendo?

Well, I’m glad you asked! It is now November 1st, 2021 as of this posting. In just under 2 weeks, Nintendo is publishing the latest in Atlus/Sega’s Shin Megami Tensei series, Shin Megami Tensei V. While we welcome all discussions of games here, we also have a dedicated thread for this game, which you can find here. Later in the month, another game featuring grotesque demons you can command is Pokémon Brilliant Diamond and Shining Pearl, which are remakes of the original fourth generation Pokémon games, Diamond and Pearl. You can discuss these in this very thread, or the dedicated thread here.

Outside of that, later this very week, Nintendo will be dropping their latest financial report, covering the quarter of July/August/September. This may also contain some preliminary sales data for the game whose success we’re all rooting for, Metroid Dread, though that game did come out in October, so I can’t say for sure we’ll learn anything.

Have you played Metroid Dread? It’s great! There’s a demo if you’d like to try it.

There’s also the recently released Nintendo Switch Online Expansion Pack, which features Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis games. While there’s plenty of discussion of the Expansion Pack here, we have a great thread for that, too.

Included in that Expansion Pack is the upcoming DLC for Animal Crossing New Horizons, titled Happy Home Paradise, which releases on November 5th, the same day as the 2.0 update. This update will ensure that the creator of Nintendo General Discussion |ST Nov. 2021| will probably be very preoccupied for a lot of this month. Oops!

Finally, the end of last month saw the somewhat surprise release of Nintendo’s latest mobile effort, a surprisingly fun pedometer app called Pikmin Bloom.

Am I welcome here? This thread can be a little intimidating...

The short answer is “yes.” The long answer is “absolutely.” As the OP for this, the second Nintendo General Discussion ST for FamiBoards, let me make this perfectly clear: So long as you don’t maliciously cause any trouble (please refer to FamiBoard’s guidelines regarding behaviour) you’re welcome to stay here, chat, and have a good time. Introduce yourself! We’d love to have more folks hanging out in the thread here. No matter who you are, where you’re from, or what games you like, you’re always more than welcome in this thread!

Even if I like Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

Oh, no, in that case, please leave.

Really?

No, I’m just kidding! But be sure you don’t post any images of the characters that could get you in trouble. Some people read this thread at work or in public!

What about Directs? Can this thread act as some sort of Nintendo Direct Speculation thread?

Sure! FOR NOW…

Wait, what do you mean “for now?”

You’ll see soon enough.

Earlier you conveniently linked to some game-specific discussion threads. Are there any others?

Absolutely! Excuse me as I shamelessly copy and paste the wonderful list by @mazi from last month’s ST and paste it below.

If there are any threads you think should be in this list, shoot me a PM and I’ll add it in!

Got a link to the previous Nintendo General Discussion ST?

Do I ever!!

Nintendo General Discussion |ST Oct. 2021| by @mazi

Wow Derachi, this ST is pretty good! Got anyone you want to thank?

Wow, hypothetical question asker, thanks for complimenting my ST. It feels really good to know that someone I made up liked my work here.

I do have a number of people I’d like to thank! The first is @mazi, for creating the first General Discussion ST here on this beautiful website we call home. Of course, this series of threads is a continuation of a series of threads found elsewhere, which was all initially started by @Kevin360, and was continued by @Mina, @Raccoon, @Phendrift, @Meelow, @Skittzo, @Hero of Legend, @reconceptualize, @BozPaggs, @Brofield, @MondoMega, @wookiee, @hologram, @Sadist, @Plum and of course @bellydrum, who I’d also like to thank for being instrumental in getting this website going. I’d love to thank the admin staff and mods of FamiBoards as well, for keeping this place safe and clean.

Lastly, I’d like to take a minute to thank… well, you. Yeah, you, reading this. Look: life can be a lot. We all come from around the world, with our own problems, stresses, and struggles. I don’t need to explain that the last 20-ish months have been particularly rough for a lot of people. I’ve considered myself very lucky to have this group of people, in this thread right now, to be there. A group I don’t hesitate to call my friends. There’s a socially therapeutic benefit to digitally shooting the breeze, and I don’t think I’m alone when I say this group of people has been a monumentally positive influence to my mental wellbeing. So… thanks, Fam. Believe me when I say my life is better because it has you in it.

Wait, hold up, what’s with the thread title?

Oh it’s a Subway joke!

smtv.png

Eat Fresh, baby!!!!

eatfreshbaby.png

Last edited:
Even if I like Xenoblade Chronicles 2?

"Oh, no, in that case, please leave."

:cry:

(Happy Gen 4 remakes finally confirmed month)

for a split second there I was like “where’s it at

I got two turn tables and a horse incinerator”

I've gotta be honest, Q&A is my favorite OP format even if it's a little lazy. If I recall correctly it's the format I used for OT3 way back in the day. It's always a great way to convey information and tell jokes, and this thread is a great display of that. Good job Derachi

The title. I get it.

Also I've always seen people do this while I was a lurker and I finally get to do it now:

* inhales deeply *
aahh, new thread smell.

Edit: @MRC-OSF OMG jinx!!! 🤣

great ST and subperb photoshoppery!

Will we reach 200+ pages again this month?

see now I have to stop talking about horse incinerators for the rest of the month so I can catch everyone off-guard by making a December ST with a horse incinerator pun in the title

@Red Monster Haha, that's sorta how I feel, except I'll just give it away to coworkers when I stop by in the middle of the week

@HockeyBird Oh Covid has no doubt had an effect but, even before Covid, I see almost no one going around. Are kids just going to a family friendly Halloween party or event and getting their candy there? I'd figure they'd still like candy 😋

@Skittzo Oh I'm in the suburbs too, albeit in an apartment complex, and not a one has come by. I guess some neighborhoods get a ton and some get none? Is it a reputation thing or based on how Halloween an area looks?

I’m just waiting for people to get to the end of the post and see the thing I spent the most time on…

I love it. It look so good! I do feel it’s a bit over explanatory though. Just the (amazing) pic of the penguin would be a better punchline imo.

actually I wasn’t sure if I was going to be confident enough to do one, but now that they’re monthly and there’s less pressure… has anyone claimed December?

I’m just waiting for people to get to the end of the post and see the thing I spent the most time on…
OMG dude, I'm always on mobile and the icons are tiny so I never saw the details of yours, so when I saw the big picture on the ST I thought that had always been your icon. 😅 Excellent effort (on the picture and the whole post, and seriously, way to get the titles rolling)!

I love it. It look so good! I do feel it’s a bit over explanatory though. Just the (amazing) pic of the penguin would be a better punchline imo.
I found the font they used for the SMT logotype, I wasn’t going to let that opportunity pass me by!!

see now I have to stop talking about horse incinerators for the rest of the month so I can catch everyone off-guard by making a December ST with a horse incinerator pun in the title
Is this an early reservation for ST3?

Is this where we discuss the intricacies of horse incinerators?
Horse Incinerators |ST| Run, Shadowfax; Show us the Meaning of Paste

you know what

yeah it is

I’ll do my best if nobody minds
Anyone who does mind can fight me

EDIT: As a mod I should probably make clear that this is a personal and enthusiastic show of support for @Suswave, not a suggestion that staff will silence dissent on this haha

Monthly threads are smaaaaart, tho I will miss new threads being fired through rapidly in crazy times. Could be fun to get overflow monthly threads at a certain point

thinking about un-spoiler tagging the last bit so I can be sure everyone has seen it… dare I? Wait it’s my post I can do what I like!!!

Still October for me. Does this mean I’m in the future? Happy Halloween everyone (and November for most others).

Oh Covid has no doubt had an effect but, even before Covid, I see almost no one going around. Are kids just going to a family friendly Halloween party or event and getting their candy there? I'd figure they'd still like candy
Hardly any came last year due to COVID. This year we have had more kids, but turned lights off early. We did not go crazy with candy

once again @Derachi absolutely killer jokes, killer ST, and very heartwarming + heartfelt.

I definitely agree with the COVID sentiment, I moved to a new city in an old country (baby country but one I lived in before and then didn’t live in) a handful of months before COVID hit and my friendmaking got violently halted.

This place and its predecessors have been a huge part of my social outreach, and I consider y’all friends, and y’all have kept me from the deep dark badtime abyss with our collective “fun ‘n’ friendly” shitpost abyss. Thank you all.

Also gonna cogitate on December schemes. Is |ST Dec. 2021| our preferred format? I was considering alternatives but uh “STD-21” wasn’t sounding like a good idea in a pandemic… or ever…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom