• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST2 Nov. 2021| Are You Gonna Play Shin Megami Tensei V the Dub Way, or…

Which TGA nomination snub upset you the most?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
That seems weird. I don't know what Splatoon gains from a summer release. But given how strongly the IP skews towards Japan, perhaps I shouldn't expect to understand what Nintendo thinks makes sense marketing-wise (since I don't live in Japan).

Or maybe I shouldn't expect to understand it because I'm not into marketing in general :p
The game is about kids (squid kids) having fun on a hot summer day. Summer is a general theme of the game.

The characters wear colorful summer fashion like t-shirts, sneakers, and shorts. They carry around guns that resemble super soakers.

It'll likely release somewhere between late May (like Splatoon 1) and July (like Splatoon 2)

Tentatek_tw.add360a2.jpg

That seems weird. I don't know what Splatoon gains from a summer release. But given how strongly the IP skews towards Japan, perhaps I shouldn't expect to understand what Nintendo thinks makes sense marketing-wise (since I don't live in Japan).

Or maybe I shouldn't expect to understand it because I'm not into marketing in general :p
The summer vacation from late July to early September, which almost all students get, is just as important as the holiday season.😋

I think I remember someone saying that the summer break begins in Japan during July through August.

August seems a bit too late, but I guess it's possible.

I heard Nintendo was aiming somewhere between May - July for Splatoon 3.

August seems a bit too late, but I guess it's possible.

I heard Nintendo was aiming somewhere between May - July for Splatoon 3.
Mid-late July is a likely release date I think. It's a typical release timing for games with casual appeal in Japan (which Splatoon very much has), in order to capitalise on the Obon holidays.

The May through July period can have Splatoon 3, stinky casual game, and Fire Emblem and I'll be happy thank you very much everybody I appreciate it.

In my mind BotW2 has never been a 2022 game but now I'm interested to see where it actually ends up, the sooner the better obviously rofl

I wanted so badly to make a joke about Saturday night Fami and the anime takeover over the last two or three pages.

But I figure it might always be misunderstood as mean-spirited or condescending, so instead I’m just going to say that you lot are all absolutely fantastic and I hope you’re having a lovely weekend! 🙌🏼

How would you all feel if 2022's lineup was:
  • Pokémon Legends: Arceus
  • Kirby and the Forgotten Land
  • Splatoon 3
  • Fire Emblem
  • Mario + Rabbids 2
  • Sequel to Casual game
  • Triangle Strategy
  • Bayonetta 3
  • The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild 2
  • Xenoblade Chronicles 3
  • Advance Wars 1 + 2
  • Metroid Prime HD Remaster
Would you be satisfied with 2022 if this was the lineup?
You had me in Fire Emblem and Xenoblade 3. The rest is just icing on the cake.

It would be, at least for me, the best year for Switch, hands down.

Regarding Kirby, a fantastic Kirby game is Kirby's Dream Course on the SNES App.
I love platformers, but have never quite got into the Kirby games. Oddly enough though, I do like Dream Course a lot.

I had it growing up and was surprised how short it actually was when playing it again on SNES Online, but I must have spent hours upon hours on trying to perfect my high scores back then.

I haven't watched the most recent episode, but so far I feel like everything has gone exactly how I expected it to this season lol
Go watch it asap then.

Also, I was kinda shocked that Lizzie lost after making that incredible colorful cake. And having a vegan week after the vegan baker left? Harsh.

The game is about kids (squid kids) having fun on a hot summer day. Summer is a general theme of the game.

The characters wear colorful summer fashion like t-shirts, sneakers, and shorts. They carry around guns that resemble super soakers.

It'll likely release somewhere between late May (like Splatoon 1) and July (like Splatoon 2)

Tentatek_tw.add360a2.jpg
It really doesn't strike me as a particularly summer themed game.
The solo of splatoon 2 is taking place in underground and got lot of weird dark places, same for the expansion and the new salmon run mode that is real bleak.
What we saw of splatoon 3 is not really joyful either and the multiplayer maps of splatoon 2 are more urban and interior spaces.
There was that waterpark map in the first one but it didn't comeback in 2:cry:

Black Friday has had some really tempting deals... Anyone gotten some hauls? I picked up Kirby and 13 Sentinels and thought that'd be the end of it, but now Tales of Arise is 50% off and I'm mighty tempted.

Black Friday has had some really tempting deals... Anyone gotten some hauls? I picked up Kirby and 13 Sentinels and thought that'd be the end of it, but now Tales of Arise is 50% off and I'm mighty tempted.
Final Fantasy XII for $20 is what I’m after today. Which is going to send me down the rabbit hole of picking up the rest of the PS1/PS2 remakes on physical.

And then I’ll be disappointed when inevitably the Pixel Remasters don’t arrive on consoles or there’s no physical edition.

But there is something incredibly nostalgic about having nearly the entire Final Fantasy series on Nintendo hardware.

(Where’s my XIII trilogy remaster Square!?)

Thank you! Maybe I should buy the 3ds games instead? I have heard a lot of good things about Planet Robot, I can probably buy it cheaper than Star Allies. I wanted to revisit / visit a few Kirby games before the Forgotten Country arrived.

Thanks for your impressions! Would you recommend it to start getting into the franchise ? Or as I said, should I buy the 3ds ones instead ?
It was the first Kirby I’d played since the remake one on GBA, so I’d say it’s a good introduction. I’ve heard people love Robobot on 3DS, but it’s possibly less of a conventional Kirby game, while Star Allies could be seen as more traditional.

Regarding Splatoon's release date, during his 2018 GDC presentation Nogami noted that summer vacation in Japan overlapped with a more stable user rate.

splatoongdc18slidep3jjx.jpg

You can see that the fluctuation between peaks (weekends) and valleys (weekdays) increases sharply outside the holiday breaks.

The highest spike each month marks a Splatfest, by the way. And the dip in November? Super Mario Odyssey's fault.

It was the first Kirby I’d played since the remake one on GBA, so I’d say it’s a good introduction. I’ve heard people love Robobot on 3DS, but it’s possibly less of a conventional Kirby game, while Star Allies could be seen as more traditional.
Robobot is pretty conventional. The bot is a bit of a callback to Dreamland 2 & 3's animal companions in how it alters the transformation powers.

Star Allies was fine, but didn't work for me as a "oh this is a neat throwback to the traditional games" in the same way as Return to Dreamland did on Wii. Just felt kinda like HAL was still wrapping their heads around HD (or the production was rushed to market) and opted to go for a very conservative design that was uninspiring. Especially coming off of Robobot.

I think best intro to Kirby right now is the NSO subscription which gets you Kirby's Adventure and Super Star.

Regarding Splatoon's release date, during his 2018 GDC presentation Nogami noted that summer vacation in Japan overlapped with a more stable user rate.

splatoongdc18slidep3jjx.jpg

You can see that the fluctuation between peaks (weekends) and valleys (weekdays) increases sharply outside the holiday breaks.

The highest spike each month marks a Splatfest, by the way. And the dip in November? Super Mario Odyssey's fault.
Clearly Nintendo won't release any 2022 games after Splatoon 3 so as to avoid overshadowing it. /just

(But seriously thanks for digging this up! It'll be interesting to see how sales and activity for Splatoon 3 goes with such a bigger userbase this time around)

FYI, the digital download of Kirby: Star Allies (along with a bunch of other big first party games: BotW, NSMBU, Astral Chain, Splatoon, Paper Mario TOK, Xenoblade, FE:3H) is $27 on GameStop (US).

I liked Star Allies as a multiplayer game. It’s really good for playing with your kids or younger relatives, the ability combinations are pretty neat, and it’s fun to play as bosses from past games (with the post-launch free updates). Robobot is definitely stronger as a single player experience, though.

I hope all of you are playing the games you own and not taking advantage of the first-party digital deals (and new physical copies + shipping) through GameStop.

It would be completely, fiscally irresponsible to buy any of these excellent games without addressing your backlog. I’m linking to the deal because I want you to be responsible and not buy Zelda and Fire Emblem.

@em, fantastic timing.

Arise has significantly better legs than any Tales game in recent memory. Usually a Tales release would be marked down to $20-30 by now. From what I’ve played, it’s deserved, though.

I’m hoping to pick up an Xbox Series X (for my sibling) and an Oculus Quest 2 (for me).

Edit: Bought the Oculus Quest 2. There’s a $50 gift card packed in at most major retailers for BF.

Last edited:
Clearly Nintendo won't release any 2022 games after Splatoon 3 so as to avoid overshadowing it. /just

(But seriously thanks for digging this up! It'll be interesting to see how sales and activity for Splatoon 3 goes with such a bigger userbase this time around)

It's funny because if I was part of the ongoing support of a GaaS-lite-like Nintendo title, I might appreciate a big juicy name appearing on the schedule a couple months after our release to alleviate the pressure of putting out constant content, knowing its impact would be dented anyway. Gives the team more room to load up the next update and have it ready to drop the moment people are ready to move on and back.

Also goes to show that Nintendo probably doesn't view any one title, including those with the potential for continued DLC, in isolation but rather looks at the ebb and flow of their playerbase as a whole when making plans for a year.

It's funny because if I was part of the ongoing support of a GaaS-lite-like Nintendo title, I might appreciate a big juicy name appearing on the schedule a couple months after our release to alleviate the pressure of putting out constant content, knowing its impact would be dented anyway. Gives the team more room to load up the next update and have it ready to drop the moment people are ready to move on and back.

Also goes to show that Nintendo probably doesn't view any one title, including those with the potential for continued DLC, in isolation but rather looks at the ebb and flow of their playerbase as a whole when making plans for a year.
That is interesting and makes a lot of sense - I wonder if this is one reason why the April through July period was packed out this year.

I read on the internet that summer break usually starts mid-July in Japan so maybe Splatoon 3 will come out around the same time 2 did

July 22, 2022 is a fantastic date

Havent played that one yet, how does it compare to ttyd, thats the only one I played and I loved it
I haven’t played TTYD so I can’t make a proper comparison.

But speaking on TOK, I know its battle system is controversial. It’s probably a love it or hate it type deal. For me personally, I loved it. And the graphics are amazing, the art style is incredible, the writing is hilarious and heartfelt, the world is so well-designed, the progression is satisfying even without EXP. It’s an absolutely incredible game from start to finish. It’s got perfect pacing and never drags.

AND THE MUSIC. God, the music is outstanding.

In conclusion, I don’t know how it compares to TTYD. But in my opinion, Paper Mario The Origami King is an absolute masterpiece.

Havent played that one yet, how does it compare to ttyd, thats the only one I played and I loved it
It's completely different but it's really good.

Think ocarina of time, vs. Breath of the wild

Way different focus, with a few of the same fixtures, but they are both equally good.

Oragami King also isnt just an encapsulation of Mario anymore too, it's an encapsulation of Nintendo in general-with some amazing setpieces. If you are a Nintendo fan in general, I think you would really like Oragami King.

Don't go in expecting TTYD; it's not gonna scratch that itch.

Take it as a package that stands on its own and you can definitely enjoy it for its own merits. The charm, humour and visual style is a treat, and then go play Paper Mario on NSO when it releases hopefully in the next few weeks

This is how I felt after that Captain Toad DLC price glitch last year. $5 for a perfect game.
I completely forgot Captain Toad got DLC on the Switch :(

I cannot wait for Nintendo Selects to inevitably happen on some of these Wii U ports so I can finally double-dip without breaking the wallet (further).

I was hyped for Captain Toad DLC, but never actually played it because it’s laser focused on co-op and I heard the single player experience wasn’t actually great.

Somebody needs to do a ludicrous, 50% off offer on the Xbox Series S in the UK so I can buy one without needing to sell the PS4.

Not gonna happen, obviously...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom