• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo General Discussion |ST 12 Sep 2022| Trails From Splatoon 03

The First Fami Splatfest: Which Team Will You Join?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just been reminded of that time someone ardently tried arguing with me that the PS2 was clearly much more powerful than the weak GameCube.
FlusteredUnlinedBrant-max-1mb.gif

I've just been reminded of that time someone ardently tried arguing with me that the PS2 was clearly much more powerful than the weak GameCube.
I found interesting that PS2's RE4 had to use videos as cutscenes, while Game Cube had them in real-time. As a result, Leon's equipment would be different than what you were using during gameplay in the PS2 version 🤔

“Resident Evil 4 obviously can’t be a GameCube game, the GameCube applies a cartoon filter over visuals to cover for its weak graphics”

Looks more like a knock off Wii U tablet to me
Seriously, when playing it that is what it reminds me of the most in terms of ergonomics! Which isn't a bad thing at all, loved the WiiU pad for how comfortable it was to hold. It's just a bit weird sometimes to be reminded of that but realising you're actually holding a standalone handheld this time, no need to look at any TV or whatever.

I just got mine this week! Though the one I got is the SER5 instead of the 4700 and so far it's working great. Granted I don't use it for developing task so I don't know how well it'll perform regarding tasks , but looking at the specs you currently work with your laptop is still a good improvment so I imagen you wouldn't have any issues

gtWZ2hG.jpg
Have you been playing games on it? If so, how's that working out?
I love these mini PCs (on paper), but given that 90% of them are basically not usable when it comes to playing the occasional AAA game (Elden Ring, potentially FF, etc.), I've stuck with looking at gaming laptops instead with dedicated GPUs. My other hardware is low powered already, thus I need at least something with a bit more punch to be able to play some bigger stuff at decent levels.

Have you been playing games on it? If so, how's that working out?
I love these mini PCs (on paper), but given that 90% of them are basically not usable when it comes to playing the occasional AAA game (Elden Ring, potentially FF, etc.), I've stuck with looking at gaming laptops instead with dedicated GPUs. My other hardware is low powered already, thus I need at least something with a bit more punch to be able to play some bigger stuff at decent levels.
I mainly use this one for work and as media center that I can move easily so I don't play much on it except for emulators (wich work flawlessly here). There are videos of people playing some AAA games heres, just expect 720p for most of the recent ones, but for very good optimized games like forza horizon 5 this thing can actually run it above 60 fps at 1080p.

And there is also of course cloud gaming, wich these mini pc are also ideal for.

CARLY RAE JEPSEN IS SO GOOD LIVE

I was also for sure the only token straight in the pit but fuck me CUT TO THE FEELING, I WANNA MOSH FOREVER

Yep, had pretty much the exact same conversation when I was in high school with someone who insisted the PS2 was more powerful than both the Gamecube and Xbox.
Sony's advertising was very good at convincing folks that their hardware was superior.
The reality of course was that PS2 had less RAM, slower RAM, and an older graphical feature set, which makes sense as it did come out a year earlier.

Then again, even in the last few years I've run across people who insist the Switch is less graphically capable than the PS3 and 360 cos "but nothing on the Switch looks as good as God of War 3 or The Last of Us."

I can only assume they're either trolling, or they haven't played those games since they were cutting edge, cos as someone who still plays his PS3 and 360 semi-regularly, the Switch very obviously looks better, as one would expect given it has a GPU ten years more modern and more than 6 times as much RAM.

Nintendo hardware is often underestimated, possibly because Nintendo's games generally push for more stylized visuals instead of the glossy realism that PS and Xbox's showcases mostly strive for.

Personally I like both; I remember being blown away by Uncharted 2 and Gears of War back in the day, but I also loved the look of Mario Galaxy and the Metroid Prime games, and even generations later they've aged like fine wine.

Last edited:
Show you how good Sony's PR team was in this era : convincing people that the PS2 was more powerful than the GameCube and then that the PS3 was more powerful than the Xbox 360

CARLY RAE JEPSEN IS SO GOOD LIVE

I was also for sure the only token straight in the pit but fuck me CUT TO THE FEELING, I WANNA MOSH FOREVER
Big fat YEAH to that

Also can't wait for her next album (which releases the same day as Persona 5 on Switch, I think ? That's like Christmas in October)

Hi all,

Today at around 14:00 CEST I am organising a charity stream in the Netherlands with a group of friends. Not sure if I can post it here, but we will be streaming during this time for 58 hours with a group of friends to raise money for Pink Ribbon. It will be in Dutch but if you are bored and just want to see some Dutch peepz play games, feel free to take a look :D.

Twitch:

Yep, had pretty much the exact same conversation when I was in high school with someone who insisted the PS2 was more powerful than both the Gamecube and Xbox.
Sony's advertising was very good at convincing folks that their hardware was superior.
The reality of course was that PS2 had less RAM, slower RAM, and an older graphical feature set, which makes sense as it did come out a year earlier.

Then again, even in the last few years I've run across people who insist the Switch is less graphically capable than the PS3 and 360 cos "but nothing on the Switch looks as good as God of War 3 or The Last of Us."

I can only assume they're either trolling, or they haven't played those games since they were cutting edge, cos as someone who still plays his PS3 and 360 semi-regularly, the Switch very obviously looks better, as one would expect given it has a GPU ten years more modern and more than 6 times as much RAM.

Nintendo hardware is often underestimated, possibly because Nintendo's games generally push for more stylized visuals instead of the glossy realism that PS and Xbox's showcases mostly strive for.

Personally I like both; I remember being blown away by Uncharted 2 and Gears of War back in the day, but I also loved the look of Mario Galaxy and the Metroid Prime games, and even generations later they've aged like fine wine.
Imagine how boring games would be as a visual medium if everyone and their mom went for the same artstyle instead of offering different and distinct visual styles. I don't think people shitting on one approach or the other ever think that far, though.

Best Bond theme song ever. Don't @ me, @-ing me in this case means angering every god and goddess that exists.
as a big time garbage fan i’m partial to “The World is Not Enough” but honestly yeah, tina turner knocked it out of the park with “Goldeneye”

they randomly played it on my local npr music station the other day because it’s just so good, how many other bond songs have that sort of staying power

wow, there’s no thread about Islets at all?

I’d make one but… I’m sleepy

is no one else playing this game? I definitely wasn’t immediately bowled over, but as it went on I just had a fantastic time and it only got better.

Goldeneye is easily the best theme song but I found Skyfall and No Time To Die surprisingly good. The other Craig era songs were pretty meh though. Proves that naming the theme song the same as the movie is the secret recipe!

Best Bond theme song ever. Don't @ me, @-ing me in this case means angering every god and goddess that exists.
Oh, I will @ you, sorry, I have to. Goldeneye cannot be the best Bond opener while Gladys Knight's License to Kill, Carly Simon's Nobody Does it Better and Tom Jones's Thunderball exist. Still a great song though.

made a post about Islets in the “indie gems” thread because really truly I don’t wanna make a thread right now

Islets
TTIYL: Hollow Knight, Steamworld Dig 2
Metroidvania, Bullet Hell Sections

Islets is a beautiful and semi-laid-back metroidvania with several fun, challenging, and engaging boss fights. Your goal as protagonist Iko, a modest mouse with dreams of heroism, is to reunite the fractured islets by jump-starting their long-abandoned magnetic cores.

This means you’ll be taking to the air in your tiny little boat and fighting air pirates — sometimes with nothing more than their own weapons!

As you restart the cores, the islets stick back together — opening new paths to seemingly inaccessible places.

I was initially put off by the seemingly asynchronous enemy designs in the starting area and their minimal animations, but that feeling did not last long. Designs almost immediately got more interesting, and it all felt more cohesive the further I went.

Everything balances being funny with also having gentle weight. A huge part of that is the beautiful, beautiful soundtrack — bright yet a touch somber, playful yet not silly, and melodically atmospheric.

The small cast of characters really grew on me. Standouts include a suspicious frog doing tomb tours, a gleeful intern, and a big laid-back pal who just enjoys being places.

I really recommend it and I’m not seeing much about it — give it a try!

I put it on my wishlist because of this post but I'm not sure when I will get around to it. Too much in my backlog right now :(
understandable! I just like it and want them to keep making games. plus I feel like some people would enjoy it.

Thunderball is such a cool word. And ball lightning is really cool too.

Why is electricity so crazy?

So I just beat Bioshock, I have managed to not get spoiled over the years and since it was on a deep sale I bought the collection...knowing I was in to something weird.

And my god, this is one weird and eerie game. Setting was great, and the lore was cool.. but some stuff was just a bit too messed up for me heh, the ending left a bit to desire to. I was hella confused, went straight to youtube for an explanation video :p

I'll definitely play 2 and 3, but probably gonna take a break for something lighter.. since I dont normally like horror stuff much.

My dog threw up earthworms today. Glad they were earthworms and not parasites, he eats so much crap on walks.

Oh wait...no NSO update? Balls, there goes my 35 day pattern 🙃 If we still get an N64 game next week though, 42 days between game releases is the second longest gap after Paper Mario being released after the introduction of the service, at which point then we start to panic if nothing happens. Hahaha...haha...ha...

wtf why didn't anyone tell me that a new CRJ song was out
I didn't realize it came out either, but she did play the new song Talking To Yourself at the show (plus she came out on stage during the Bleachers set for her and Jack Antonoff to duet Shadow which was v cute)

Man I really wish they announced Prime 1 Remaster next week, that would be hope that Prime 4 has a chance to be a holiday 2023 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom