• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Anyway

rYJojRM.jpg

I don't think he's directly responsible for that.

He hasn't had any interviews, his team hasn't made a brand new Switch game in a while. Dude's still kind of an enigma as to what he has planned next (after BCP).

Last edited:
He actually had.

And in two weeks, Yabuki and other leads will be credited in the movie as Mario Kart Supervisor (like they were with the Mario Kart Live in 2020).
But does ARMS have a chance at a sequel, or is it fated to only be remembered as “that Min Min from Smash Bros. game”?

But does ARMS have a chance at a sequel, or is it fated to only be remembered as “that Min Min from Smash Bros. game”?
I actually think that sequel would be great, ARMS world is beautiful. However, they way the things turned out it's hard to image EPD9 doing anything other than new Mario Kart for new system first and then maybe something later that generation when Mario Kart is established on the platform and supported with new tracks etc. just like Splatoon.

You have to budget out for Nintendo EPD

-Next open air Zelda
-Next Animal Crossing
-Next 3D Mario
-Next 2D Mario
-A bunch of new casual IPs
-RingFit 2
-Splatoon support
-Splatoon 4
-Maybe Smash Bros if Namco is done with the series
-Mario Kart

And then try to see how many programmers and artists are left over to try to make other games.

I'm guessing there are certain games they try to work in between their big hitters on some queue (with Pikmin 4 finally reaching the head of the queue in like 2020 for example)

-Next open air Zelda
-Next Animal Crossing
-Next 3D Mario
-Next 2D Mario
-RingFit 2
-Splatoon support
-Splatoon 4
-Mario Kart

And then try to see how many programmers and artists are left over to try to make other games.

I'm guessing there are certain games they try to work in between their big hitters on some queue (with Pikmin 4 finally reaching the head of the queue in like 2020 for example)
This time epd9 will do the reverse, Arms deluxe for the next switch and new game Mario kARTS where you use the motion control to aim and control the trajectory of the items, all in the first quarter of the next switch life.
After that, Arms Tour mobile game and radio silence for the next 5 years.

He actually had.

And in two weeks, Yabuki and other leads will be credited in the movie as Mario Kart Supervisor (like they were with the Mario Kart Live in 2020).
They forgot to ask him if there's more ARMS planned.

But he'd probably deflect that with "I don't think I can say anything about that right now."

They forgot to ask him if there's more ARMS planned.

But he'd probably deflect that with "I don't think I can say anything about that right now."
questions that go beyond the marketing topic are always pointless which is why my roll I eyes everytime someone burns question time on some goofy "will you make a new [x]" shit in hype marketing interviews where you can type up the exact reply word for word before you even start the interview.

questions that go beyond the marketing topic are always pointless which is why my roll I eyes everytime someone burns question time on some goofy "will you make a new [x]" shit in hype marketing interviews where you can type up the exact reply word for word before you even start the interview.
Exactly, this happened again very recently with Miyamoto when he was asked why there is no Mario game alongside theme park/movie he replied:

“We're always working on Mario, so when we get to a time where we can share information, we'll certainly do so.”
Everytime I see these questions am laughing and then there are headlines "Miyamoto confirmed that Nintendo is working on new Mario." Yeah and the day has 24 hours, shocking too.

-Next open air Zelda
-Next Animal Crossing
-Next 3D Mario
-Next 2D Mario
-RingFit 2
-Splatoon support
-Splatoon 4
-Mario Kart

It also helps that pikmin became Kirby sized in their domestic market with 3 deluxe. I imagine pikmin will be a much bigger priority going forward.

Exactly, this happened again very recently with Miyamoto when he was asked why there is no Mario game alongside theme park/movie he replied:

“We're always working on Mario, so when we get to a time where we can share information, we'll certainly do so.”
Everytime I see these questions am laughing and then there are headlines "Miyamoto confirmed that Nintendo is working on new Mario." Yeah and the day has 24 hours, shocking too.
This is what I appreciated about Totilo's interviews with Iwata and other higher ups at Nintendo where he was savvy enough to take the default answer wind out of their sails by starting with something along the lines of "I know you're always working on [thing] and can't say anything specific but..." in a lot of interviews where he wanted to poke around a bit. I feel this is a basic interview technique that everone in the field should just have and not be some wisdom exclusive to absolute veterans in the field.

Pikmin 4 releases

Interviewer: You first hinted at the existence of a Pikmin 4 in July 2015. That's 8 years ago. You even said it was "close to completion" at the time. Can you explain what it's been going through in that time?

Miyamoto: Wait, what? Did I actually say that then?

This is what I appreciated about Totilo's interviews with Iwata and other higher ups at Nintendo where he was savvy enough to take the default answer wind out of their sails by starting with something along the lines of "I know you're always working on [thing] and can't say anything specific but..." in a lot of interviews where he wanted to poke around a bit. I feel this is a basic interview technique that everone in the field should just have and not be some wisdom exclusive to absolute veterans in the field.
Yeah, that was great. But at the same time I remember the whole Pikmin 4 situation where basically only one person asked Miyamoto about it again in 2017 and that was Tom Phillips from Eurogamer (the same guy who did the 2015 interview with him, where he did confirmed Pikmin 4 existence.) And site GameRant asked about Pikmin 4 in 2016, that's it. No other person. Not a single person asked about it in 2018. (In 2019 Miyamoto wasn't giving any interviews). Or they could have asked Reggie or Bill, later in 2019 they could have ask Doug what's with the game. Nothing.

Yeah, am not naive and Pikmin is really not a something huge like Mario but at the same time it's stange that these gaming journalists are often not asking questions they should (and this is not just Pikmin situastion, there have been a lot more). The game actually existed so it was on point to ask about it, yet almost no one did it (at E3 2018 it was literally no one).
Pikmin 4 releases

Interviewer: You first hinted at the existence of a Pikmin 4 in July 2015. That's 8 years ago. You even said it was "close to completion" at the time. Can you explain what it's been going through in that time?

Miyamoto: Wait, what? Did I actually say that then?
I think the reboot about Pikmin 4 will be probably touched upon in Ask The Developer session, altough the famous "very close to completion" will not be mentioned since there is no point of mentioning it.

I still think that comment was bad translate or he was point at something else in development (not necesirally that the game is very close to completion.

No offence to Miyamoto but at E3 2016 he said:
We're always challenging ourselves to create something new, so hopefully you'll see a new kind of Mario in about a year or two. Maybe next E3 we'll be able to share something.

There is a high chance that it was a vague "year or two" statement to not give anything specific but the game was in further development at that time and they knew they will show it with the Switch Presentation and reveal video. Miyamoto and his comments/hints are often weird and I think this is one of them alongside with Pikmin 4.

Pretty sure Pikmin will stay once a decade+ unless Nintendo finds a third party studio that wants to make it for them.
More once a console generation than once a decade if I had to guess, but insofar as those are the same thing, yeah. Nintendo in general don’t like releasing too many big games per gen, and they have enough different IPs that they can afford not to. They have spinoffs and smaller IPs to plug the gaps as needed, plus of course Pokémon. (Here’s hoping Game Freak takes a page out of their book…)

I feel like there’s plenty of genres they could tap in with Animal Crossing.

Nintendo hasn’t really done a tycoon business sims before, so how about a spin-off starring Tom Nook where you run a business?

Or maybe even a cozy puzzle adventure game. I don’t think Nintendo has ever done a point & click game either, so that would be a totally new genre for them.

( If someone has an Animal Crossing thread on Fami, let me know. )

Pretty sure Pikmin will stay once a decade+ unless Nintendo finds a third party studio that wants to make it for them.
Depends on how 4 probably does it also helps that pikmin proabably isn’t too demanding a game to develop, but just big enough for that 60$ price tag, if pikmin 4 is good I can see it doing 5mil ww 2mil in Japan tbh, I think it’ll proabably do like 3.9 mil tho since it doesn’t seem to groundbreaking.

I think it’s possible!

I've been suggesting this as a possible NdCube title, or an EPD x NdCube collaboration for later this year. Even if there was a lengthy gap between New Leaf and New Horizons, Nintendo kept the series present through the AC Plaza, Happy Home Designer, Welcome Amiibo update and Pocket Camp. Wouldn't surprise me to see them do something else with the IP before the next mainline title.

Splatoon 2 Game Designers missing from 3

Hiromu Takemura - Pikmin 3 Game Designer
Yutaka Hiramuki - Pikmin 3 Game Designer
Yusuke Amano - NSMB2 Director
Shigeyuki Asuke - NSMBW Director
Ryutaro Kanno - 2D Mario Level Designer
Takayuki Ikkaku - 2D Mario Level Designer
Koji Kitagawa - Switch Sports/Mario Kart
Jordan Amaro - Resident Evil 7/Metal Gear 5
Shinichi Ikematsu - Zelda Series/Pikmin 2 Map Designer
Yasutaka Takeuchi - NSMB2 Level Designer/BOTW

Curious…
So I went back to this post and found even more stuff that I think is interesting.

Takayuki Ikkaku was missing from Splatoon 3 because he was credited on game design on Maker 2, which just supports the theory that he is still at EPD10 on new 2D Mario.

And now for the new findings.

Terumasa Kato - Splatoon 1 & 2 - Planner, Octo Expansion - Game Design. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Toshikazu Jin - Splatoon 2 & Octo Expansion - Programmer. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Rina Honda - Splatoon 2 - CG Designer, Octo Expansion - Art. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Tamomi Iwasaki - Splatoon 2 - 3D Designer, Octo Expansion - Art. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Norihiro Morita - Splatoon 2 - 3D Designer, Octo Expansion - Art. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Keisuke Nishimori - Splatoon 2 - 3D Designer, Octo Expansion - Art. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
however these are his past credits:
Pikmin 3 (2013) - Design Director
New Super Mario Bros. U (2011) - Support
New Super Mario Bros. Wii (2009) - Player Design

So it just supports the theory that he is working on either Pikmin 4 or new 2D Mario at EPD10.

Yoko Tanaka - Splatoon 2 - 3D Designer, Octo Expansion - Art. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Keisuke Umeda - Splatoon 2 - 3D Designer, Octo Expansion - Art. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Hiroyuki Morishima - Octo Expansion - Art. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Jun Ashida - Octo Expansion - Art. - last credit. Not worked on Splatoon 3.
Karon Shiihara - Octo Expansion - Art, Super Mario Maker 2 - Background art - last credit. involvement with EPD10/2D Mario since 2019.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So, as you can see that's 11 additional names who worked on Splatoon 2/Octo Expansion in some capacity but weren't credited on anything since. One of these even with another connections to Pikmin/2D Mario prior (Keisuke Nishimori) and present Karon Shiihara who worked on Maker 2 Background Art.

These were the names with no credits since Octo Expansion but now it's time for even more wild speculation.

Mitsuhiro Kida - Octo Expansion - Sound, Pikmin 3 Deluxe (2020) - Sound Director. Another connection to EPD10.
Yuji Udagawa, Splatoon 2, Octo Expansion - Programming. MK Tour - Software engineering - (2019)
Yuki Hamada - New Super Mario Bros. U - Character design, Splatoon 2 - Art, Ring Fit Adventure - Enemy lead artist (2019)
Manabu Hiraoka - New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Pikmin 3 - CG Designer, Splatoon 2 - CG Designer, Ring Fit - Lead player/item artist - (2019)
Shintaro Kashiwagi - Splatoon 2 CG Designer, Octo Expansion - Art, Ring Fit - Dungeon Art (2019)
Mariko Tachibana - New. Super Mario Bros U, Pikmin 3, Splatoon 2, Ring Fit (2019) - UI Design

So with these another 6 names as their projects went finished in October 2019 which could be around the time this new supposed 2D Mario could have started development so they went to EPD10 as seemingly most of the Splatoon 2/Octo Expansion staff (fun fact is that the recruitment for 2D Action Game in Kyoto went in October 2019 when Ring Fit development wrapped, but that's just a funny coincidence). These people were not credited on Switch Sports at EPD4 but it's possible that they worked on cancelled 1-2 Switch sequel.

Either way, as you could see with the first part of my post these 11 additional Splatoon 2 Designers / Octo Expansion artists have not worked on anything since 2018 and when you add the other names in quoted post above by @MetalLord with obvious references to people who prior to Splatoon were PIkmin 3 Designers or 2D Mario Directors / Designers it's very likely that this missing staff since Octo Expansion in 2018 has been allocated to either new 2D Mario or Pikmin 4 respectively over at EPD10.

I still believe that the new 2D Mario could be this year's Holiday title as the staff between PIkmin/2D Mario is different.

The future acquisition of Activision-Blizzard by Microsoft, as well as companies like Electronic Arts and Ubisoft that are open to being bought, show that the AAA games industry will not remain viable in the longer term. Ever-increasing production values lead to longer development times and fewer games being released.

Nintendo is playing pretty smart by operating on weaker hardware and not competing directly in the graphic arms race. Among other things, this ensures a good flow of software for its consoles. Nintendo's in-house development studios have a more regular output of software than Sony's and Microsoft's game studios. That's necessary, too, since Nintendo consoles have to rely on their own exclusive software.

From the looks of it, the Switch Drake will be a major upgrade over the current Switch and the games will likely be larger in scale and have higher fidelity graphics. I fear this will lead to less first-party software being released and perhaps possible droughts.

Nintendo's internal game development studios work very efficiently, but I suspect Nintendo will have to expand significantly soon. I now see other, larger companies with many more employees struggling to release games. Nintendo is already enlisting more and more help from third-party companies (Namco Bandai and Koei Tecmo, for example) to help develop their own games, and I fear Nintendo will become dependent on them.

I also expect more and more acquisitions of game studios in the future, and although I am against it, it is unavoidable. Sooner or later Nintendo will be inclined to acquire companies anyway to stay competitive with the mega-companies of the future. Personally, I think a company like Level-5 is a very good fit for Nintendo. Anyway, I don't expect any acquisitions by Nintendo in the short term yet. Maybe in a few decades.

Still, I ask for reassurance: to what extent is Nintendo able to face the challenges of the next few years?

The future acquisition of Activision-Blizzard by Microsoft, as well as companies like Electronic Arts and Ubisoft that are open to being bought, show that the AAA games industry will not remain viable in the longer term. Ever-increasing production values lead to longer development times and fewer games being released.
I mean Ubisoft is open to acquisition more then just AAA games becoming unviable. Much like with ABK Guillemot is looking to cash out from his shitty practices.
Nintendo is playing pretty smart by operating on weaker hardware and not competing directly in the graphic arms race. Among other things, this ensures a good flow of software for its consoles. Nintendo's in-house development studios have a more regular output of software than Sony's and Microsoft's game studios. That's necessary, too, since Nintendo consoles have to rely on their own exclusive software.

From the looks of it, the Switch Drake will be a major upgrade over the current Switch and the games will likely be larger in scale and have higher fidelity graphics. I fear this will lead to less first-party software being released and perhaps possible droughts.
Nintendo has a wide catalogue of games at various budgets that would make this hard. Not everything needs a larger scale or have higher fidelity. Especially if Nintendo implements solutions like DLSS they can continue doing incremental upgrades to their games. This would allow them to continue what we see with the Switch, which has been pretty steady with game releases throughout its lifespan.
Nintendo's internal game development studios work very efficiently, but I suspect Nintendo will have to expand significantly soon. I now see other, larger companies with many more employees struggling to release games. Nintendo is already enlisting more and more help from third-party companies (Namco Bandai and Koei Tecmo, for example) to help develop their own games, and I fear Nintendo will become dependent on them.
All companies need to outsource so this isn’t really a fear unless Nintendo becomes a holding company. This is something they have pointed out before in IR meetings; and are taking strides in correcting the issue so they are less reliant on outsourcing.
I also expect more and more acquisitions of game studios in the future, and although I am against it, it is unavoidable. Sooner or later Nintendo will be inclined to acquire companies anyway to stay competitive with the mega-companies of the future. Personally, I think a company like Level-5 is a very good fit for Nintendo. Anyway, I don't expect any acquisitions by Nintendo in the short term yet. Maybe in a few decades.
There is really nothing that L5 can offer that Nintendo wants. Nintendo has already acquired companies but they are mostly close partners or companies that frankly no one thinks about. That will continue being the trend going into the future rather then obvious picks people select.
Still, I ask for reassurance: to what extent is Nintendo able to face the challenges of the next few years?
I’ve answered part of it in the responses but essentially the path forward for Nintendo is the following:
  1. Internally grow their studios which is something they are always doing. The new building is apart of this & identifying key areas like less reliance on outsourcing (they still will) & having teams for devs so that IPs on the back burner are attended too
  2. Grow their brand & ips into other ventures. We are seeing this with the amusement park & movies. If those are successful then expect them to move in this area faster.
  3. Put out hardware & software that you can only get from Nintendo. Their quality 1st party software is the driver of their hardware. While they continue to work with 3rd parties that will continue to be so until otherwise noted.
If you are asking me then I would like to see them:
  1. Revitalize their attempt in the mobile market using a modern strategy that takes advantage rather then tries to work against.
  2. Look into a PC dev to find/acquire that can start creating IPs in that market.

I mean Ubisoft is open to acquisition more then just AAA games becoming unviable. Much like with ABK Guillemot is looking to cash out from his shitty practices.
IIRC wasn't there a report a while back that was saying Ubisoft was looking for a buyer? I wouldn't be surprised at all if that eventually turned out to be Sony, TBH. Ubisoft probably makes the most sense for them to buy, since IIRC their market cap cratered hard in the wake of #MeToo and COVID and they're probably the best fit to plug any potential hole in PlayStation's lineup that Sony is oh-so-scared that the ABK buyout will create. I could see them trying to turn Rainbow Six and the like into their equivalent to COD, if they're really that insistent on telling Microsoft to go to hell.
There is really nothing that L5 can offer that Nintendo wants. Nintendo has already acquired companies but they are mostly close partners or companies that frankly no one thinks about. That will continue being the trend going into the future rather then obvious picks people select.
IMO Level-5 are the most sensible acquisition prospect for Nintendo besides their own partner studios (IS, HAL, Game Freak, etc.) That said, you're pretty much right; Nintendo don't really need Yo-Kai Watch when they already have Pokémon. Level-5 is appealing mostly insofar as it has some fairly popular mostly Nintendo-exclusive IPs in Japan and it appears to be a much easier buy than most other major 3rd parties. None of that makes it a surefire acquisition option for Nintendo, though. If anything, it's probably not worth betting on them buying out any RPG devs that don't already work mostly or exclusively with them, which Level-5... doesn't. (Hello there, Ni No Kuni.)
  1. Revitalize their attempt in the mobile market using a modern strategy that takes advantage rather then tries to work against.
  2. Look into a PC dev to find/acquire that can start creating IPs in that market.
Nintendo developing PC ports? That'll be the day.

Last edited:

Don't take this the wrong way but this sounds like a post made a decade ago. They have and are addressing all of these points (as pointed out in the other reply) and they simply don't make games at those unreasonable scales with high fidelity graphics in the way that is making the business so unsustainable for the other companies who go for photoreal detail.

Graphically, Nintendo does increase how detailed even the stylized graphics are with higher fidelity ceilings but never in the way that seems excessive. Case in point are games like Wind Waker HD and Skyward Sword HD where throwing in a new lighting engine and otherwise just exchanging textures for versions that are simply clear (partially redrawn) versions of the originals that were highly compressed down is "enough" to make the games stand next to new works made at the same time. There aren't 500 pieces of photorealistic armor that need to be created to be put into a loot pool or microtransaction shop in their games.

They're also not turning every other game into a Breath of the Wild-scale game all of a sudden. If there's one thing that remains true is that as soon as you start thinking Nintendo will or has to follow suit with what other big companies in the field are doing or how they operate, you've gone down the wrong line of thought.

Don't think dating sims would work if you reuse 5 lines of dialogue over and over again.
some might say that might be extremely true to life

IIRC wasn't there a report a while back that was saying Ubisoft was looking for a buyer? I wouldn't be surprised at all if that eventually turned out to be Sony, TBH. Ubisoft probably makes the most sense for them to buy, since IIRC their market cap cratered hard in the wake of #MeToo and COVID and they're probably the best fit to plug any potential hole in PlayStation's lineup that Sony is oh-so-scared that the ABK buyout will create. I could see them trying to turn Rainbow Six and the like into their equivalent to COD, if they're really that insistent on telling Microsoft to go to hell.
It wasn’t a report but a rumour. In that same vein it was rumoured that a private entity is looking to acquire them. I just don’t see Sony trying to acquire them for a few reasons nor do I think they fit all that much. Ubisoft has too many problems currently that their acquisition would most likely be an over pay.
IMO Level-5 are the most sensible acquisition prospect for Nintendo besides their own partner studios (IS, HAL, Game Freak, etc.) That said, you're pretty much right; Nintendo don't really need Yo-Kai Watch when they already have Pokémon. Level-5 is appealing mostly insofar as it has some fairly popular mostly Nintendo-exclusive IPs in Japan and it appears to be a much easier buy than most other major 3rd parties. None of that makes it a surefire acquisition option for Nintendo, though. If anything, it's probably not worth betting on them buying out any RPG devs that don't already work mostly or exclusively with them, which Level-5... doesn't. (Hello there, Ni No Kuni.)
There are probably better options for Nintendo then L5 but there all unknowns since most aren’t on the radar. When I say they don’t offer Nintendo much I mean it. Nintendo doesn’t really need their IPs, Hino doesn’t offer much in experience, & they can always poach talent if they need too. The only thing Nintendo gets in an acquisition is the name & brand but I don’t think it worth an acquisition. L5, with their current strategy, is way to boom or bust as a good acquisition for anyone.
Nintendo developing PC ports? That'll be the day.
The strategy wouldn’t be ports but new IP created specifically for that market.

The announced axis of development that interests me the most is the introduction of new intellectual properties, ie new internal licenses. If Splatoon was a great achievement even in the Wii U context, then there's every reason to be optimistic about it.

On the other hand, it seems to me a bit contradictory to praise Nintendo's specific ecosystem while wishing that they develop games on PC. Mobile games are evoked as a gateway to the Nintendo universe, while the PC is a direct competitor to what their own hardware

Look into a PC dev to find/acquire that can start creating IPs in that market.
The only way Nintendo is going to put games on PC is if they are forced by Governmental Anti-Trust enforcement. Why buy a Nintendo Switch when you can play the same game, legally and without needing a Switch to dump the games, on a Steam Deck?
Even making their own PC store would have crazy restrictions and again with the portable gaming PCs, it cuts into their potential Switch sales.

The only way Nintendo is going to put games on PC is if they are forced by Governmental Anti-Trust enforcement. Why buy a Nintendo Switch when you can play the same game, legally and without needing a Switch to dump the games, on a Steam Deck?
Even making their own PC store would have crazy restrictions and again with the portable gaming PCs, it cuts into their potential Switch sales.
I’m not sure why people immediately jump to Nintendo porting their games onto PC when I specifically say “create IPs”. I’m not even mentioning a new storefront because I doubt they would. Much in the same way they didn’t just port their games to mobile when they were pressured into entering that market.
The announced axis of development that interests me the most is the introduction of new intellectual properties, ie new internal licenses. If Splatoon was a great achievement even in the Wii U context, then there's every reason to be optimistic about it.

On the other hand, it seems to me a bit contradictory to praise Nintendo's specific ecosystem while wishing that they develop games on PC. Mobile games are evoked as a gateway to the Nintendo universe, while the PC is a direct competitor to what their own hardware
Mobile is also a direct competitor to their own hardware. Their strategy of graduating gamers was beyond flawed & very rarely worked. They were pressured into the market & to no surprise left when they started doing well.

However, Mobile didn’t pull away from Nintendo much in the grand scheme of things. They made unique content for the platform with an entire team dedicated to it. They can do the same in the PC market like with mobile; though more Dragalia Lost then using Nintendo IP, ie creating new ips specific for that market. Make unique content that leverages the strengths of the platform to diversify their revenue streams to ease burdens off their main source. While they are in the process of doing so, more successful streams never hurts.

Overall I doubt they will do either of those since Switch is successful. However, I think it a mistake they are pulling back from the mobile market & not revising their flawed strategy for it.

What they've done:
  • Increased the amount of yearly college hires / mid-career hires
  • Expanded the square footage of their Kyoto and Tokyo R&D Facilities
  • Continued to build/scale internal engines and tools. (Nintendoware / LunchPack / Bezel Engine)
  • Hired experienced outsource art coordinators
  • Increased their network of art production companies.
  • Established tiered production - ad hoc structures where small-medium-large internal EPD teams work with several smaller contractors/affiliates to form large scale development teams.
  • Balanced development scales of projects where mid (some even lower budget) titles play a significant role around their larger AAA games.
  • Fully purchased a few long-standing partners and contractors.
  • Established new subsidiaries for gaming services and cg production.

What would still help:
  • Expanding domestic R&D facilities to other major Japan cities (Osaka, Yokohama etc.)
  • Expanding international R&D facilities throughout US, Canada, UK.
  • Securing a few more contractors/affiliates into full blown subsidiaries.
  • Purchasing other small or mid tier companies that make sense in the Nintendo fold / structure.
  • Establishing or Securing art asset groups throughout Asia.
  • Pushing more classic IPs for remasters or remakes through contractors to flesh out larger catalog.

That's true, but as well are Netflix or books. I really think the uses (and user experience) are very different with a smartphone. Historically, the PC is not complementary hardware, but rather a precursor in terms of video games.
Sure those are competing with people’s time as well. However, those are not on the same scale when we talk about competition between mobile & PC v. Nintendo. And, while historically this may be the case, the Switch has shown to be a complimentary device.
Granted the data is not entirely reliable nor do we have statistics of PC ownership for Switch. But I do remember something be said about it around the same time.

Regardless competition becomes an issue when Nintendo is directly porting main games onto these platforms. If they are making bespoke alternative versions specifically for the platform or creating new ips; then I am not really seeing competition being such an issue when people who would never buy the hardware can still play/invest in those software offerings.

What they've done:
  • Continued to build/scale internal engines and tools. (Nintendoware / LunchPack / Bezel Engine)
  • Established tiered production - ad hoc structures where small-medium-large internal EPD teams work with several smaller contractors/affiliates to form large scale development teams.
  • Balanced development scales of projects where mid (some even lower budget) titles play a significant role around their larger AAA games.

What would still help:
  • Expanding domestic R&D facilities to other major Japan cities (Osaka, Yokohama etc.)
  • Purchasing other small or mid tier companies that make sense in the Nintendo fold / structure.
  • Pushing more classic IPs for remasters or remakes through contractors to flesh out larger catalog.
I would like to add continuing to expand their other endeavors, especifically films and series.

IPS like Star Fox who havent been able to find success in games i think could be able to be revitalized with a great series with the right director. (Like how the Cyberpunk anime did a lot to revitalize the brand. Or how Castlevania was for the first time in forever, mainstream, after its anime. Of course... Konami didn't capitalize on it but it was there for everyone to see it.

Sure those are competing with people’s time as well. However, those are not on the same scale when we talk about competition between mobile & PC v. Nintendo. And, while historically this may be the case, the Switch has shown to be a complimentary device.
Granted the data is not entirely reliable nor do we have statistics of PC ownership for Switch. But I do remember something be said about it around the same time.

Regardless competition becomes an issue when Nintendo is directly porting main games onto these platforms. If they are making bespoke alternative versions specifically for the platform or creating new ips; then I am not really seeing competition being such an issue when people who would never buy the hardware can still play/invest in those software offerings.
Very interesting.

Note that this is data from the UK, a market that skews heavily towards PlayStation. The pre-pandemic US figure is closer to 40%.

What they've done:

What would still help:
Waiting on that Ireland office for that sweet, sweet Irish localisation. Come on Nintendo, you can't just name everything IN IRISH and then have one (1) game on your system that supports it; and for that game to be MINECRAFT!

Fódlan, Galar, Le Chéile i bhForaois Sholas na Gealaí. We get it, it's a nice language, now give me Súpeir Máiréad Odessí! 😆

Hey there! Thanks for sharing your insights on Nintendo's first-party software development. I stumbled across this thread and found it interesting. I think I found something that can be used in addition to what you've posted here. Many companies are now using social media platforms like Instagram to take their marketing campaign to the next level.

If you're someone who misses Monster Games on Nintendo systems as much as I did, well good news, because Monster Games has finally returned via the Switch version of World of Outlaws: Dirt Racing, which is out this Fall! :D

If only they'd get back together with Nintendo and make a proper Excite Truck 2. :(

If you're someone who misses Monster Games on Nintendo systems as much as I did, well good news, because Monster Games has finally returned via the Switch version of World of Outlaws: Dirt Racing, which is out this Fall! :D

If only they'd get back together with Nintendo and make a proper Excite Truck 2. :(
Tbh It was nintendo who didnt want that lol

Why would they want that? They wanted to get away from Nintendo

Why would they want that? They wanted to get away from Nintendo

I'm not sure they "wanted to get away from Nintendo". Think it was more like they "wanted to get back into Nascar".

You really don't need Monster Games to continue any derivative of the Excite series. It's if Nintendo feels like making the game, there are plenty of studios who could do a great job with the IP.

I am currently playing the Starfox game developed by Rare on GameCube and I think that with the evolution of the Zelda franchise, a sequel to Starfox Adventures could really make sense. Do you think it’s completely unrealistic to expect Nintendo to consider some kind of Star Fox Adventures Returns? (not necessarily with Retro).

Back
Top Bottom