• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I made the mistake today to read a YouTube comment section. I‘m glad that I know reasonable people here and in real life otherwise I would want to see this world in flames.

Edit: Wrong thread but it was a under a video about TOTK so technically on topic :p

Last edited:
an Activision studio developing a first party Nintendo game fails the sniff test immediately
I mean...

238320_front.jpg

Nintendo must have really trusted Vicarious/Toys For Bob to let them make a Donkey Kong game.

So the mystery is now A) Why did it get canceled, and B) Will we ever see material from that game? (gameplay, concept art etc. )

On the topic of indieszero, their staff made up the majority of the leads on Big Brain Academy. The only EPD leads listed here are Kenta Kubo (Director) and Masami Yone (Sound Director?). I wonder if EPD was more hands-off outside of production and sound.

Brain Training Switch was never released in North America, so it isn’t on this site, but that game at least had some known EPD planners.

On the topic of indieszero, their staff made up the majority of the leads on Big Brain Academy. The only EPD leads listed here are Kenta Kubo (Director) and Masami Yone (Sound Director?). I wonder if EPD was more hands-off outside of production and sound.

Brain Training Switch was never released in North America, so it isn’t on this site, but that game at least had some known EPD planners.

Takafumi Masaoka on the EPD side was a tech lead for sure. He’s a lead programmer. He may have been working on that earlier prototype idea that Kubo mentioned.

Nintendo must have really trusted Vicarious/Toys For Bob to let them make a Donkey Kong game.

So the mystery is now A) Why did it get canceled, and B) Will we ever see material from that game? (gameplay, concept art etc. )
Didn't read into this supposedly canceled game so I might ask, is it Nintendo that approach a third party studio to make a DK game? It could be the other way around which is very common for failed Nintendo IP pitch.

That game was developed before Ubisoft bought that studio.

Although that study seems more like an exception, since it seems that they were looking to sell it for a long time
Right, the quote was about Nintendo working with an Activision studio, which FreeStyleGames were in 2012.

Can you imagine if Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe had composed for the Donkey Kong game? That would have been brilliant, what a sad outcome the DK game got canned.

( They composed for Skylanders.)

@LiamRobertson You wouldn't happen to know if Toys For Bob did indeed work on a brand new Donkey Kong game? Recent discussions from DK Vine have suggested Toys For Bob may have been the outside studio set to work on DK, yet the project got canceled.

According to Hyle ( From DK Vine, same individual who first mentioned the EPD DK game on September 20th, 2020,) says EPD still liked some of the concepts from this canceled project.
I have never heard of this before. When was it from? I can follow-up if we know when it was supposedly being worked on. I'd be surprised if this is true, however.

The writing was on the wall for a very long time that Toys for Bob was getting consumed by Call of Duty as soon as Crash 4 released (hence why the heads of the studio bailed right after Crash 4), I would be shocked if there was even a possibility Activision would allow them to work on a Nintendo franchise in any way.

I have never heard of this before. When was it from? I can follow-up if we know when it was supposedly being worked on. I'd be surprised if this is true, however.
Interesting, thank you for sharing.

If you are able get in touch with Hyle (Slush) from DK Vine, that would be probably the best place to start. He was the first person to break the story, a whole year earlier before anyone else did, about the EPD DK rumours. So I do believe he’s correct that there was a canned DK project before that.

While he himself publicly on the podcast only refers to the outside studio that worked on DK as “from this continent”, people around him on the Forum say it’s Vicarious / Toys For Bob. http://www.dkvine.com/interactive/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t15502-1050.html

And last night MondoMega said here on FamiBoards that “The project in question was canned very early into the Switch era,”.

Thanks for looking into it, you’re awesome.

Can you imagine if Hans Zimmer and Lorne Balfe had composed for the Donkey Kong game? That would have been brilliant, what a sad outcome the DK game got canned.

( They composed for Skylanders.)

I dont think very highly of any of the two, and zimmer especially has been all synths for decades now.

I'm hoping David Wise does the music for the next DK game again tbh, he's my favorite video game composer and I still can't think of anybody else that would be on that level personally. Although there are some others that would be good for sure, but I'd still be most hyped if David Wise did the music.

I'm hoping David Wise does the music for the next DK game again tbh, he's my favorite video game composer and I still can't think of anybody else that would be on that level personally. Although there are some others that would be good for sure, but I'd still be most hyped if David Wise did the music.
I'm pretty sure David Wise won't be coming back anytime soon

i imagine it is due to the controversy related to his tweets. Which btw i cannot imagine nintendo really cares, for better or for worse.

I remember seeing something about tweets he’d liked when I was on Resetera, I don’t remember the specifics though. I remember being confused about it though because he also has a lot of liberal/progressive stuff in his tweets.

I remember seeing something about tweets he’d liked when I was on Resetera, I don’t remember the specifics though. I remember being confused about it though because he also has a lot of liberal/progressive stuff in his tweets.

I can't remember how explicit he was or wasn't about this, but the reasonable implication was that he was a transphobe based on some comments he had made.

I can't remember how explicit he was or wasn't about this, but the reasonable implication was that he was a transphobe based on some comments he had made.

I actually looked back at that thread where ppl were talking about him and I didn’t see anything like that, but idk I could be missing something.

I actually looked back at that thread where ppl were talking about him and I didn’t see anything like that, but idk I could be missing something.
I could also be misremembering, it has been a few years at this point, but I want to say it was something along those lines. For whatever reason now, it seems to be difficult to find info on, and never quite 'blew up' in the same way lot of other controversies have, at least not that I remember.

EDIT: I do think there was more to it than this, but I distinctly remember when those retweets of his were being talked about, he also had an interaction with a fan on twitter who asked him about trans rights and he basically refused to respond to it.

I thought the implication was that he was anti-BLM at worst? And even then, he never actually SAID anything which was odd, he liked tweets that I'd hope was more of a misunderstanding and he didn't like the bad points so to speak. But it should've been on him to address this and say stuff like "I wasn't endorsing such and such" and "I do support black people and their cause" and the like. That would've been the responsible action.

I think the worst he's actually said was being more critical of lockdowns, but that's really it?

But I'd LOVE to see his progressive tweets if anyone can find them. Would better help show his true views, and I'd like to have faith that he is good in the end, but maybe I'm just hopeful and naive as I'm a lifelong fan of his.

I could also be misremembering, it has been a few years at this point, but I want to say it was something along those lines. For whatever reason now, it seems to be difficult to find info on, and never quite 'blew up' in the same way lot of other controversies have, at least not that I remember.

EDIT: I do think there was more to it than this, but I distinctly remember when those retweets of his were being talked about, he also had an interaction with a fan on twitter who asked him about trans rights and he basically refused to respond to it.

THAT WAS ME! LOL

I got some real shitheads in my responses on there that moment (like saying HOW DARE YOU ASK HIM or something)... even from a trans person which weirded the fuck out of me. Like I was trying to give David Wise an easy way to show support and wipe away any doubt about him. He never responded which was odd but I only hope it was because he didn't see it. It's not like he responds to every tweet.

Last edited:
I thought the implication was that he was anti-BLM at worst? And even then, he never actually SAID anything which was odd, he liked tweets that I'd hope was more of a misunderstanding and he didn't like the bad points so to speak. But it should've been on him to address this and say stuff like "I wasn't endorsing such and such" and "I do support black people and their cause" and the like. That would've been the responsible action.

I think the worst he's actually said was being more critical of lockdowns, but that's really it?

But I'd LOVE to see his progressive tweets if anyone can find them. Would better help show his true views, and I'd like to have faith that he is good in the end, but maybe I'm just hopeful and naive as I'm a lifelong fan of his.

I could very easily be conflating that interaction I described in the post above, for whatever reason that information stuck with me more than the Anti-BLM stuff. That's on me.

Either way, you're right that the situation was never him making any kind of actual comment on almost any of this stuff, and came a lot from his retweets and follows, so he's never made a public statement in any capacity to really gain more info from. Given the murkiness there, it's right to wonder if Nintendo would actually care one way or the other, as someone else suggested.

I could very easily be conflating that interaction I described in the post above, for whatever reason that information stuck with me more than the Anti-BLM stuff. That's on me.

Either way, you're right that the situation was never him making any kind of actual comment on almost any of this stuff, and came a lot from his retweets and follows, so he's never made a public statement in any capacity to really gain more info from. Given the murkiness there, it's right to wonder if Nintendo would actually care one way or the other, as someone else suggested.

My current assumption is at worst he's more of e centrist, someone who has good but also not as good views on things but also doesn't want to take part in discussions but as seen he slips and likes questionable tweets, almost forgetting that likes and follows are public.

And yeah, I can at least appreciate he's not some outspoken moron spewing shit, but he could still do a bit better. But again, if he's had a history of progressive comments then that's wonderful and hopefully that helps things!

My current assumption is at worst he's more of e centrist, someone who has good but also not as good views on things but also doesn't want to take part in discussions but as seen he slips and likes questionable tweets, almost forgetting that likes and follows are public.

And yeah, I can at least appreciate he's not some outspoken moron spewing shit, but he could still do a bit better. But again, if he's had a history of progressive comments then that's wonderful and hopefully that helps things!
Sounds to me like Ol' Dave is a bit of a terf. Trash him, I say. Don't know why you feel so compelled to defend him.

I don't understand this comment at all. Like, how would it help things even one bit? Suppose he supported queer rights (not that there's any indication that he does), is that supposed to somehow "balance out" the fact that he's against BLM? It doesn't; he would still just be an asshole. How would having a "history of progressive comments" help things if he doesn't support Black rights?

There's zero need to give him the benefit of the doubt here.

I did see that post of the fan asking him about it in the thread, with no response. I admit, it seems like he should have responded to that to clear things up, maybe he was just getting a lot of tweets at the time and/or busy or not using Twitter much at the time, otherwise not sure why he wouldn’t have responded.

From the tweets he liked I saw in that thread, I thought at least some of them were kind of vague and could be interpreted in different ways, though there was 1 I saw, and somebody who he was following, who I admit I’m not sure why he’d like it or follow that person. Although like I saw somebody mentioning it’s possible sometimes people can be scrolling and accidentally like tweets, I don’t use Twitter so I don’t really know. I guess it still doesn’t explain why he’d be following the person though.

About the lockdown stuff, tbh I consider myself a really left leaning/liberal person, but the lockdown was really difficult for me because isolation like that is difficult for me in general, so I can understand people who dislike it (as long as it isn’t right wing/politically motivated).

For liberal/progressive stuff, I saw at least a couple tweets from him that definitely are in support of the environment/against climate change. Basically stuff I couldn’t imagine any right wing person saying, lol

Sounds to me like Ol' Dave is a bit of a terf. Trash him, I say. Don't know why you feel so compelled to defend him.
I don't understand this comment at all. Like, how would it help things even one bit? Suppose he supported queer rights (not that there's any indication that he does), is that supposed to somehow "balance out" the fact that he's against BLM? It doesn't; he would still just be an asshole. How would having a "history of progressive comments" help things if he doesn't support Black rights?

There's zero need to give him the benefit of the doubt here.
I don't think we should jump on him being a TERF just because he didn't respond to my tweet. Again he doesn't respond to all tweets. Maybe if someone asked him via video chat he'd say "Trans Rights are Human Rights" like Grant Kirkhope did way back. I'd hope so anyway.

And from what I've seen he's never been outspoken against BLM, it was just interpreted as it being possible from the tweets he liked. Not a good sign obviously. I would hope he'd support black rights if asked, because why wouldn't he? He always seemed like a good guy who was happy to chat with any fan on twitter. Also, weren't the tweets he was liking that made it sound like he was anti-BLM more that he was against the fact that cops were killed during the riots and such? I doubt he's going to wave the Blue Lives Matter flag anytime soon but still that's my theory on that IIRC.

I don't think we should jump on him being a TERF just because he didn't respond to my tweet. Again he doesn't respond to all tweets. Maybe if someone asked him via video chat he'd say "Trans Rights are Human Rights" like Grant Kirkhope did way back. I'd hope so anyway.

And from what I've seen he's never been outspoken against BLM, it was just interpreted as it being possible from the tweets he liked. Not a good sign obviously. I would hope he'd support black rights if asked, because why wouldn't he? He always seemed like a good guy who was happy to chat with any fan on twitter. Also, weren't the tweets he was liking that made it sound like he was anti-BLM more that he was against the fact that cops were killed during the riots and such? I doubt he's going to wave the Blue Lives Matter flag anytime soon but still that's my theory on that IIRC.

Of course one would hope so, but that's simply not the reality. The only reason one would not comment on trans rights is if they do not support them. In my experience, the vast majority of the time these people turn out to be terfs or terf adjacent.

Him choosing to like anti-BLM tweets is not an accident. He chose that. Just because he seemed like a "good guy" on the surface does not mean he is one in actuality.

Of course one would hope so, but that's simply not the reality. The only reason one would not comment on trans rights is if they do not support them. In my experience, the vast majority of the time these people turn out to be terfs or terf adjacent.

Him choosing to like anti-BLM tweets is not an accident. He chose that. Just because he seemed like a "good guy" on the surface does not mean he is one in actuality.
True on both counts sadly. I hope someday (even if futilely) he'll just say he does support both and apologizes for liking said tweets and such.

I feel pretty confident saying he’s a right wing nut. He’s posted fucked tweets and deleted them. He has also interacted recently with a far right wing twitter account, and does so frequently. He also liked a transphobic tweet making fun of a transwoman being upset for not being able to get pregnant. He no longer likes the tweet from what i just saw, but did.

I feel pretty confident saying he’s a right wing nut. He’s posted fucked tweets and deleted them. He has also interacted recently with a far right wing twitter account, and does so frequently. He also liked a transphobic tweet making fun of a transwoman being upset for not being able to get pregnant. He no longer likes the tweet from what i just saw, but did.

I had a feeling this would be the case. Absolutely shameful.

Sheesh.

I hope he changes his ways. (I mean, I hope that in general) Fucking shameful.

Seems pretty cowardly about it what with the quick deleting. I'd like to hope conflicted, but cowardly is probably more like it.

I don't know what was up with David and the above, but I spotted this comment that supposedly he did indeed say "trans rights are human rights" in Hbomberguy's DK64 stream ages ago:

See the thread and my discussion in it for clarification:

I've not seen the bit in question as the stream was massive and so far it's not known where it occurred in it. But that's a great sign that there's more to this then folks think? I hope like the person says in the thread that the aforementioned issue was likely a misunderstanding.

The bad news is David's likes are indeed full of folks critiquing the vaccines and other stuff in relation. What's weird is like, his likes are full of both those, and of tweets talking about his DK work. Like it never crosses over, such an odd contrast like the likes are by two different people. It's sad.

Pretty sure it was Grant Kirkhope, not David Wise. He was on the stream and said in DK's voice "Trans rights! Ok!" Never heard of David Wise being part of the stream. John Romero was there though, pretty neat.

I mean, Kirkhope is friends with JonTron from what I remember.
Yeah it's a bit of a mark on him, but luckily his values highly contrast with Jon's. Let's face it, great people can sadly have not so good friends here and there. They've known each other for a long time (he was a guest on Game Grumps during the OG era and they had a hoot together in it).

IMO if Grant being friends with Jontron still is the worst thing about him, then that's not so bad. Lots of good folks are still friends with him after all like Antdude, Jirard (Completionist), PBG, etc. But I can understand if that's too much to look past for folks.

I only recall Grant Kirkhope doing so, and evidently he's far from perfect. Don't remember David Wise showing up on the stream at all.

Also don't know how him saying "trans rights" would counteract him liking terf and anti-BLM tweets. This isn't transactional. Some "allies" get so invested in exonerating these creeps that they lose sight of the bigger picture.

I only recall Grant Kirkhope doing so, and evidently he's far from perfect. Don't remember David Wise showing up on the stream at all.

Also don't know how him saying "trans rights" would counteract him liking terf and anti-BLM tweets. This isn't transactional. Some "allies" get so invested in exonerating these creeps that they lose sight of the bigger picture.
To be fair he apparently unliked said transphobic tweet apparently (can't verify as said account's gone). So I would hope he did so after realizing what was going on and not in a "whoops they found out!".

To be fair he apparently unliked said transphobic tweet apparently (can't verify as said account's gone). So I would hope he did so after realizing what was going on and not in a "whoops they found out!".

I have serious doubts.

If he is for trans rights, he would say it. If he is for BLM, he would say it. It's not difficult. Until then, why waste effort digging for something that's not there? Just because he made some music for a Nintendo game doesn't mean he's a good person.

Yeah it's a bit of a mark on him, but luckily his values highly contrast with Jon's. Let's face it, great people can sadly have not so good friends here and there. They've known each other for a long time (he was a guest on Game Grumps during the OG era and they had a hoot together in it).

IMO if Grant being friends with Jontron still is the worst thing about him, then that's not so bad. Lots of good folks are still friends with him after all like Antdude, Jirard (Completionist), PBG, etc. But I can understand if that's too much to look past for folks.

I guess my point in bringing up JonTron was, I feel like JonTron is at least as bad as that right wing person David Wise followed, if not worse. Which is why I don't think it's true that Grant is just a "better person" than David Wise.

But I agree, I don't feel people can be summed up necessarily by who they're friends with, or who they follow. It would be one thing if David/Grant were only friends with/following right-wing people, or even if it was the majority of who they were following. But in this case, Grant apparently has much better values than JonTron, and in David's case it's really just one right-wing person who I remember he followed, while I've seen a lot more stuff from him that was more liberal/progressive.

But in this case, Grant apparently has much different values than JonTron, and in David's case it's really just one right-wing person who I remember he followed, while I've seen a lot more stuff from him that was more liberal/progressive.

Someone can be in favor of action against climate change while still being racist and transphobic. They really have little to do with each other.

Someone can be in favor of action against climate change while still being racist and transphobic. They really have little to do with each other.

Idk, since he did remove the like from the transphobic tweet I feel like the like could have been accidental, or maybe he didn't realize what it was about and once he had more awareness removed the like, or just felt bad/removed it, etc. And from the tweets I saw in that post a while ago on Resetera, I didn't see any anti-BLM tweets that he liked.

Idk, since he did remove the like from the transphobic tweet I feel like the like could have been accidental, or maybe he didn't realize what it was about and once he had more awareness removed the like, or just felt bad/removed it, etc. And from the tweets I saw in that post a while ago on Resetera, I didn't see any anti-BLM tweets that he liked.

This doesn't strike me as very likely. This sort of thing gets said a lot about right wing jerks; fans say they "must not have understood" "must be a mistake". Rarely is this actually the case.

Back
Top Bottom