• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Well, as Miraj stated, Metroid Dread followed up the story from a 2002 game nearly 20 years later...

I think Starlink featuring the original teams is really just more the result of it just being based on Zero, the most recent game in the series as of this time that was designed as a direct reimagining of 64 and thus recycling the same cast and basic plot for simplicity's sake due to the weird control scheme. Ubisoft has already implied that that it's probably not really canon to anything anyways. 64 3D is also just a basic remake of 64 that wasn't really meant to affect the status quo so of course it also just features the OG cast.

I mean it's not like Nintendo has completely thrown out Adventures, Assault and Command. Krystal shows up as an assist trophy in Smash Bros. Ultimate and The Battle Begins anime short, which Miyamoto and Imamura were heavily involved in, has a shout-out to Planet Sauria. The Star Fox Starlink stuff also has a little shoutout to Adventures, so I feel like if Nintendo really has completely thrown out the post Adventures timeline, they've been doing it in a pretty lackadaisical way.

There's actually evidence that NCL higher ups like Miyamoto and especially Imamura enjoyed what came out of the GCN/DS games, the latter just commemorated Adventures' 20th anniversary with this drawing of Krystal on Twitter last week. So I don't think Zero was meant to completely erase everything the post-64 games did.
All those links to sources are great. Got the receipts to back it all up!

Yeah, Starlink was a quick turnaround opportunity. It was a chance encounter at E3 that turned into them using the Zero assets for the game. Some people even consider Starlink the Switch's Star Fox title, but that's like saying Donkey Kong or Rayman being in the Mario & Rabbids DLC packs count as games. Just doesn't work that way. The game didn't do super well, but it sold way more on Switch than on other platforms, where it utterly bombed. Nobody seemed to care about it until they put Star Fox content into it, showing how the brand still has interest.

What we've really seen here is that no Star Fox title since Assault has truly committed to being taken as anything more than a side game or spinoff. Command was a "what if" game, 64 3D was a remake a la OOT/MM 3D, Zero was a "reimainging", Guard was a spinoff, and Starlink was a glorified cameo using Zero assets. Star Fox 2 coming out was more of a special selling point for the SNES Classic, and is a novelty from the original timeline before 64 rebooted it. There is nothing stopping them from just ignoring all of that and doing a game post-Assault with the cast and events up to that point acknowledged, and going off to fight a new threat or whatever.

I get that some people really just want to see the OG team in a Star Fox 64-style game, but with new missions, and you got that with Zero. It didn't set the world on fire, so maybe it's not the sequels' characters or stories or attempts at new gameplay styles that are the issue. Maybe they should go back to evolving the Assault formula and story since that had a lot of potential. This is why I think it'd be great if Bamco were doing a remake of it, because they could catch players up while also updating the controls (and adding online multiplayer!), priming people up for a possible new entry following that game. It worked for Metroid, so who's to say it wouldn't work for Star Fox?

never played starlink but saw the wolf trailer and my god that voice was brilliant, if sf does happen i need that person to voice him.

It actually almost made me think star fox was great.
Bad news, the voice of Wolf was Jim Ward, and he's semi-retired due to really bad health issues. :'(

Bad news, the voice of Wolf was Jim Ward, and he's semi-retired due to really bad health issues. :'(
oh that's depressing, his clip was above anything i saw in a ''nintendo'' game, probably because it wasnt made by them but yeah.

''oh? fifth... ships? huh?'' amazing

Like im sorry for all those arcade fans but the moment i heard that i really accepted (and embraced) the idea of furry mass effect smh

Last edited:
is star fox the nintendo series that the most non-fans have strong opinions about?
I don’t even think it’s close to be honest. Star Fox is way ahead.

You’ll have fans of other companies who’ll hate Nintendo of generalize their games, but one specific series that people truly talk about the most (at least within Nintendo community is Star Fox).

Maybe outside of that it’s Pokémon or Zelda? Idk people who talk about these series are already fans lol.

They will likely stick to the Zero timeline for convenience's sake though, because we already have the original Star Fox and Star Wolf in Starlink and the most recent games (3D and Zero) also feature the original quartet.

No point following up the story from a 2005 game. The Status Quo had already changed quite a bit by the time Command started.
I don't think any new star fox game is going to be a continuation of any past game. Its just gonna be a fun new space adventure with Fox and His Friends. I still don't think Star Fox is/should be a series where narrative is the focus. All the good Star Fox games just use it as window dressing for space action.

Last edited:
I don't think any new star fox game is going to be a continuation of any past game. It just gonna be a fun new space adventure with Fox and His Friends. I still don't think Star Fox is/should be a series where narrative is the focus. All the good Star Fox games just use it as window dressing for space action.
exactly. to me it's like splitting hairs over the Mario timeline

exactly. to me it's like splitting hairs over the Mario timeline
Mario's story is typically Save the Princess and Mario making Yahoo noises. It's really not comparable. Star Fox is more akin to Metroid or Xenoblade in that it's a more serious sci-fi series with a rough throughline or chronology between entries. The voice acting alone back in the day was notable, especially for a company that was mostly known for silent protagonists or characters that just utter noises. It's meant for a different type of audience.

I wouldn't say Star Fox is a more serious game like Metroid and Xenoblade, but it wasn't meant to be like Mario or DK where the story and setting don't matter.
Much like Metroid, I think the story/setting is a secondary concern. Its for sure part of the appeal, its cool, but not why I like those games.

people speculate that's Bamco's remaster for Nintendo

though now that we're on the topic of Star Fox, I don't think Assault is out of the question. IMO, both of these would need a straight up remake than a remaster

I hope it is, always been fascinated with the series and never played the 3ds one. Only played the original on nes but there is definitely enough material that they could make it a annual series. Imortals rising was a nice little appetizer (scratched the itch a little) but it was missing the Nintendo Magic.

The story in Star Fox could simply be like the type of drama shows that partially inspired Miyamoto. I don’t need the origin story of the team told a fifth time and I don’t need a strong immovable continuity where the characters notably age and such. Just make the next episode of Star Fox where our team save the galaxy from another threat; not that complicated.

The story in Star Fox could simply be like the type of drama shows that partially inspired Miyamoto. I don’t need the origin story of the team told a fifth time and I don’t need a strong immovable continuity where the characters notably age and such. Just make the next episode of Star Fox where our team save the galaxy from another threat; not that complicated.

Turn star fox into a third person shooter similar to gears of war.

I still think they should just do Furry Mass Effect

A $60/$70 dollar two hour rail shooter isn't gonna fly with the vast majority of the audience, and they probably wouldn't release it for less than full price

I still think they should just do Furry Mass Effect

A $60/$70 dollar two hour rail shooter isn't gonna fly with the vast majority of the audience, and they probably wouldn't release it for less than full price
Like i said earlier, the moment i hesrd fox's brilliant voice in starlink i embraced the furry mass effect.

Also yes fans are wrong, and they just need to cope and accept non fans are correct

Star Fox is about replayability, so I'd rather it go multiplayer to justify that than try to completely change what it is

Also yes fans are wrong, and they just need to cope and accept non fans are correct

I agree with this; the Star Fox fans who keep demanding the series change to something else are wrong. The non fans, or the lapsed fans rather, are correct; $60 rail shooter sounds awesome! Bigger, better, more replayable!

Some people love games that are fun, other people love marketability and sales. What can you do?

“Star Fox should be Furry Mass Effect” is such a terrible concept so i’m glad it will never actually happen. It’d be like suggesting “Pikmin 4 should be a character action game!”; it’s so removed from what is actually good about the Star Fox property and, frankly, seems to stem from a weird inferiority complex some Nintendo fans have about successful games not available on their platform. Gotta turn Star Fox into Mass Effect and F-Zero into Yakuza to fill the gaps.

“Star Fox should be Furry Mass Effect” is such a terrible concept so i’m glad it will never actually happen. It’d be like suggesting “Pikmin 4 should be a character action game!”; it’s so removed from what is actually good about the Star Fox property and, frankly, seems to stem from a weird inferiority complex some Nintendo fans have about successful games not available on their platform. Gotta turn Star Fox into Mass Effect and F-Zero into Yakuza to fill the gaps.

It comes from the exact same place as "Retro should revive StarTropics as a gritty Uncharted style game!" Bizarre and sad stuff to see.

now is as good a time as any to mention that I am a horrible hypocritical bastard who wants Nintendo to make a Lupin III Uncharted-like

now is as good a time as any to mention that I am a horrible hypocritical bastard who wants Nintendo to make a Lupin III Uncharted-like
ok but that sounds awesome unironically

I agree with this; the Star Fox fans who keep demanding the series change to something else are wrong. The non fans, or the lapsed fans rather, are correct; $60 rail shooter sounds awesome! Bigger, better, more replayable!

Some people love games that are fun, other people love marketability and sales. What can you do?
didn't i tell you to cope and seethe?
i just want good voice acting and that will make any game good for me.

i would like Star Fox to stay Star Fox and not be turned into Mass Effect. If I wanted to play Mass Effect I would have done it 15 years ago.

People keep saying Furry Mass Effect, but I say why not Ratchet & Clank? 3rd-person shooting with platforming and a comical, expressive story could be a needed shot in the arm.
If I wanted to play Rachet & Clank, I'd just play that. Why is it so controversial with people that a Star Fox game should be a Star Fox game? Its all just "they should clone some other franchise!"

As someone who wishes nintendo made more ''high'' budget new ips instead of relying on old ones, it is hypocrisy of my part to say that i wish SF turned into a mass effect clone (but i mean look at my pfp)

In the core i just want a cartoony game that has great voice acting, spectacular animation and a reasonable plot even if just to be there to showcase all that beautiful animashun (and of course, excellent gameplay).

It certainly doesnt needs to be Star Fox, but i guess that part comes from my inner metroid fan. I am hoping that mp4 is a complete revolution for the franchise in the same way botw was to zelda (not literally tho), and for it to be a massive success and all, so i wish the same for sf fans.

People keep saying Furry Mass Effect, but I say why not Ratchet & Clank? 3rd-person shooting with platforming and a comical, expressive story could be a needed shot in the arm. With Arwing flight of course.
Yes, honestly i do enjoy the idea of ''furry mass effect'' because it is one of my favorite trilogies of all time, but i think something more akin to ratchet would fit 10x better.
It comes from the exact same place as "Retro should revive StarTropics as a gritty Uncharted style game!" Bizarre and sad stuff to see.
FR, i still dream of a ice climbers reboot made by nlg with some sharp humour and lots of cool gameplay.

I think a Star Fox game that has a 4 player co-op campaign and a fully fleshed out PvP mode could survive and thrive staying as an on rails shooter with intermittent all range levels. That’s the direction I want to see it go

Back
Top Bottom