• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

The irony is that's basically what Miyamoto was trying to do with Zero

This time he should try making the game fun! That was a major problem with Zero.
I disagree, only because I think Star Fox SHOULD be like a mecha anime. Cool vehicles, likeable characters, some intrigue here and there, with a setting that should be changing dynamically after major conflicts.

Or in other words...Ace Combat~! Y'know, the other arcade-y flight shooter series that was in a slump, but dropped what was easily one of the best games in the series a few years ago, and completely revitalized it.

Cool vehicles and likeable characters sound good to me! Not too fussed about intrigue and the setting myself. Something new would be nice, but I don't need long cutscenes interrupting my playthrough.

If they do a new on-rails only, arcade-style Star Fox, for the love of god do not make it another Lylat Wars retelling. Even if Zero had normal controls, it was highly disappointing seeing it retread old ground story-wise yet again. Just do a follow-up to Assault. There's plenty they could develop from there.
Assault timeline is kinda dead I think. The reboot was primarily to reset the universe by, for example, having Peppy a pilot again and Wolf an actual antagonist.

Command and its multiple endings didn't help. Zero also had this weird alt universe thing going on, but did not really do anything with it.

Last edited:
I like the idea of Star Fox more than I actually like Star Fox games and I feel that's true for a lot of people liking the IP's characters and themes conceptually.

SF64 is a really great game and some of the others are decent. Not sure I would pay $60 for that today but it's a good time. They just need a bold vision to modernize the IP and follow through with it.

Star Fox...and Sonic the Hedgehog...have been in a very similar situation in that once the series garnered success, the developers didn't know what to do with 'em after a while, making big missteps along the way. I'd settle for a fully HD Star Fox 64. Wheels don't have to be reinvented with new entries I think, just give that which people enjoyed most.
I just don't think the gameplay holds up is my thing. But if there is a fan desire for it, and it has a chance of reinvio
I like this. It worked for Fire Emblem when that fact gave InSys the oomph and passion they needed to go all out. Why not do that for some lingering IPs?
It helped that there was a dedicated team of regular Fire Emblem developers, who came together to create an apotheosis of their work. Imamura has retired. The real strategy might be to give the IP to someone without Miyamoto overseeing, and see what happens with a completely fresh perspective.

You’re on the Switch. You got all the money. You go all out and define what a mainline Star Fox game should be in todays age. Nintendo needs to define Star Fox.
Id be on as long as it was great. Ofc like i said im not a fan so i dont have attachment to the gameplay but i do enjoy the designs and i think they could makr something verh neat with it.

I'm curious if Nintendo even cares enough about Star Fox and/or is confident enough in its sales potential to give it some big budget reinvention makeover in the first place. I'm honestly unsure if SF could even sell well regardless of whether or not the formula was changed. I just don't think the characters or concept are all that appealing outside of a hardcore subset of Nintendo fans.

Aw, it's a bit sad to see a lot of negativity towards star fox. I love the series a lot and modern takes like ExZodiac give me life.

I thought assault was quite good, personally. Command was a weird fever dream but it set up some potential directions for sequels I really wish they would have done more with.

Also, I really thought Star Fox Zero's core gameplay was great. I wish they didn't feel the need to reboot the series for it, but I found that dogfights especially worked really well with gamepad controls. What can I say other than-- it worked for me!

Also a huge fan of the two SNES games. Really, I love the whole series. Adventures is the only one I haven't finished, but eventually I'd like to.

Shigeru Miyamoto cares about Star Fox as much as Pikmin.

Pikmin and Star Fox also share a similar problem: Miyamoto wishes both IPs were more popular.
Yes, this is the key part right here Em. And the discussion is on Star Fox and popularity.

We’ll see with Pikmin, but for the first time a brand new Pikmin will release on a successful Nintendo system. Pikmin 3 Deluxe is the best selling and it’s a port. I actually can’t wait to see more of Pikmin 4.

Lots of posts about what Star Fox shouldn’t be but not much on what it can do to succeed in today’s market.

Personally, I’d like to see Nintendo remove as much as they can from Star Fox until it becomes almost unrecognizable as such. I think that would be best for the series, financially speaking, which is all that matters. Railshooter? Doesn’t sell. Arcade gameplay? Not for $60! Furries? Too controversial.

In fact, why not just make it an 100+ hour open world RPG GaaS with human versions of Fox and co.?

d4a79628a3b5e6c79dd98248ed5fa30c.jpg

Get Nolan North and Troy Baker to voice Fox and Falco and Ashly Burch for Krystal (Slippy and Peppy are gone entirely). Some well known actor like Willem Defoe voices Andross (one off villain with 10 minutes of screentime max) and can be used excessively for promo.

You basically go from planet to planet and do stuff (shoot enemies, solve quests, gather resources, shoot quests etc.) until your level is high enough to move onto the next planet. All gameplay is on foot but you can press a button to have the Arwing, which cannot land for story reasons, scan the environment.

While you’re playing you gradually build up the Great Fox which is chilling in orbit. You use the resources you gathered on the planets to build new tech but every upgrade has a timer that can be brought down by other players helping you or you can buy real money microtransactions to shorten it yourself.

Towards the end there’s a scene where a fox (like the animal) mask falls onto Fox’ head. He sees his reflection in a puddle or whatever then says something cool like "not in a million years", rips the mask off and goes to kick Andross’ ass.

I think there is a happy medium to be achieved between “just make Star Fox 64 again with prettier graphics” and “completely change the genre in a vain attempt to get a new audience.”

You know, like how normal sequels do it.

2024 is a good place for Star Fox. Think about it. ToTK will be out, new 3D Mario too, basically all the very popular ips will be out and will have a sequel. Star Fox is due to have a Switch effect and it will be a big one.

Assault timeline is kinda dead I think. The reboot was primarily to reset the universe by, for example, having Peppy a pilot again and Wolf an actual antagonist.

Command and its multiple endings didn't help. Zero also had this weird alt universe thing going on, but did not really do anything with it.
Cuthbert has said that Command is more of an alternate timeline game. Miyamoto said that Zero was not a reboot or remake, but more of a reimagining. They’re really more like side games. The Star Fox equivalents of Metroid Other M and Federation Force. Titles they can safely ignore as side stories.

Speaking of Metroid, I think they could pull another Metroid Dread and do a direct sequel to Assault after all this time. A quick “the story so far” intro cutscene and then they’re off to fight whatever new threat.

Like what Miraj said above, Nintendo never really fully committed to Zero being a "reboot", just saying that it was a "reimagining" of Star Fox 64 that existed alongside and complimented the original game. According to Miyamoto, the reason the game was a reimagining of 64 is because they were experimenting with a new control scheme and wanted to keep things simple by retelling the events of the first two released games.

Miyamoto: We have made a variety of "Star Fox" games, including having an action-adventure type "Star Fox Adventures" made ("Star Fox Adventures" was developed by Rare), and this time we came up with a system to make the game on two screens. I was working on a prototype with the upper screen as the direction and overall view, and the lower Wii U GamePad screen showing the cockpit viewpoint, and I was thinking about playing with the upper screen to grasp the overall view, or aiming at enemies with the cockpit screen, and I thought, "This is just right for "Star Fox""! This was the first experience for users to play with these two screens, so we thought it would be better to make it easy for them to understand, so we based the game on "Star Fox 64". However, it is not a remake. The same locations and characters appear in the game, but the courses are all new, so it is a new experience.

Miyamoto: As for the title, since it is based on "Star Fox 64," I thought "Zero" would be more appropriate than "6" or "7" in the "Star Fox" series. Since we are making the game in Japan, we decided to use the Chinese character "zero" in the logo. This is the first time in a long time since "Star Fox 64" that I have been in a position close to the director of a game series.

I never really saw Command as completely writing the series into a corner considering it had endings that restore the status quo, and even Takaya Imamura said back then that a potential Command follow up could just simply ignore all of the endings anyways lol.

Cuthbert: The canon ending. Hehe. I think if the game continues it won't pick up where the game ends, but start more in the middle.

Imamura: This storyline, ends here, and if there's a continuation it would start from the middle, so it wouldn't depend on any of the endings.

Nintendo doesn't really give a shit about lore/story in their games that much that it'd let them restrict what they can or can't do when making new games so I never really bought the narrative that Command was impossible to follow up from just because it had some weird throwaway "what if" endings. The only reason the game has those weird endings anyways is because Dylan Cuthbert wanted to make it a "Choose your own adventure book" kind of game when Imamura originally set out to just do one single storyline just like in Assault.

Last edited:
Who was in charge of spearheading the Switch’s debelopment?

I mean the hardware project?
Iwata, Koizumi as a General Producer and Kawamoto as a hardware Director and Shiota, not sure which role he had and am forgetting some people.

Both Koizumi and Kawamoto were chosen by Iwata himself.

There's also a good reason why the things like IR Camera are in the Joy-Cons. It's because Kawamoto was one of the heads of the development so he could use it in games that his teams produces, Nintendo Labo, 1-2 Switch, Ring Fit and so on. I remember when Switch was revealed and lot of people were like "the IR Camera is only used for that sandwich minigame lol", little did the they know it would all make sense after few years.

Last edited:
Lots of posts about what Star Fox shouldn’t be but not much on what it can do to succeed in today’s market.

Personally, I’d like to see Nintendo remove as much as they can from Star Fox until it becomes almost unrecognizable as such. I think that would be best for the series, financially speaking, which is all that matters. Railshooter? Doesn’t sell. Arcade gameplay? Not for $60! Furries? Too controversial.

In fact, why not just make it an 100+ hour open world RPG GaaS with human versions of Fox and co.?

d4a79628a3b5e6c79dd98248ed5fa30c.jpg

Get Nolan North and Troy Baker to voice Fox and Falco and Ashly Burch for Krystal (Slippy and Peppy are gone entirely). Some well known actor like Willem Defoe voices Andross (one off villain with 10 minutes of screentime max) and can be used excessively for promo.

You basically go from planet to planet and do stuff (shoot enemies, solve quests, gather resources, shoot quests etc.) until your level is high enough to move onto the next planet. All gameplay is on foot but you can press a button to have the Arwing, which cannot land for story reasons, scan the environment.

While you’re playing you gradually build up the Great Fox which is chilling in orbit. You use the resources you gathered on the planets to build new tech but every upgrade has a timer that can be brought down by other players helping you or you can buy real money microtransactions to shorten it yourself.

Towards the end there’s a scene where a fox (like the animal) mask falls onto Fox’ head. He sees his reflection in a puddle or whatever then says something cool like "not in a million years", rips the mask off and goes to kick Andross’ ass.
This would piss off so many Star Fox fans, and I doubt would bring in many new fans. And removing furries?! That’s, like, one of the biggest appeals of the franchise. For real, furries are among the most faithful Star Fox fans out there. Even when there are no new games, Star Fox remains extremely popular with furries. Honestly, furries are keeping the series alive, at least in terms of mindshare, better than any other group with all the art that’s regularly created and all.

Star Fox is the worst of both worlds right now in that it's both not as popular of an IP and also many of the games in the series are considered duds. Some Nintendo IP can have one or the other of these traits (Pikmin not being popular, Yoshi having a lot of duds) but Star Fox has both. Star Fox has generously gotten far more chances to bat than most other Nintendo IP and yet it keeps whiffing. It's just frustrating to watch.

This would piss off so many Star Fox fans, and I doubt would bring in many new fans. And removing furries?! That’s, like, one of the biggest appeals of the franchise. For real, furries are among the most faithful Star Fox fans out there. Even when there are no new games, Star Fox remains extremely popular with furries. Honestly, furries are keeping the series alive, at least in terms of mindshare, better than any other group with all the art that’s regularly created and all.
I'm being silenced on famiboards dot com

Pikmin 3 DX sales are probably over 1 million in Japan alone at this point. I think the series will be fine unless Nintendo ends up having some absurd projects for 4.

Who do you preferred to be developing a new star fox game?

A) Bandai Namco
B) Platinium Games
C) Ubisoft Starlink team
D) Nintendo EPD
E) Factor 5 (would be possible?)
F) Next Level Games
G) Bioware
H) Rockstar
I'm gonna rank these by how much I'd want them and maybe add one or two:
1. Nintendo EPD: Of course this is always preferable imo and they made the best game in the series so
2. Treasure: idk if they're even really still around to do it but if they could get the Sin and Punishment Star Successor team back together they'd make an incredible Star Fox game
3. Platinum: If they had the creative freedom and budget to make their Star Fox in the vein of Bayo, with flashy action/cutscenes, over the top story, tons of unlockables and extras, I think it would turn out way better than Zero
4. Bandai Namco: Assault was promising in a lot of ways. I think if they got another crack at it they'd do well.
5. Next Level: they do great stuff and I'd be down for it
6. Factor 5: do they exist anymore? Idk lol
7. Ubisoft: honestly I'd have more faith in Soleani's team than the Starlink one
8. Bioware/Rockstar: lol

A) Bandai Namco
B) Platinium Games
C) Ubisoft Starlink team
D) Nintendo EPD
F) Next Level Games
G) Bioware
H) Rockstar
They had their chance already
Dont feel like it
Id say yes if it was Milan
Idk
Please make a new star wars instead
Yes
Id like to see what they could do
No

A) Bandai Namco
B) Platinium Games
C) Ubisoft Starlink team
D) Nintendo EPD
F) Next Level Games
G) Bioware
H) Rockstar
Platinum. make it a mix of Vanquish, Astral Chain, and Star Fox 64

all the others could do it too, but they just need good direction, i.e. not make another Star Fox 1 remake

A) Bandai Namco
B) Platinium Games
C) Ubisoft Starlink team
D) Nintendo EPD
F) Next Level Games
G) Bioware
H) Rockstar
F, B A, in that order.

Next Level Games are the ones I imagine could formulate a new, bold direction for the series. For example, I still think that something like Federation Force that had Fox and pals using mecha to explore planetary surfaces would have gone over much better than using Metroid as a basis. Especially if the focus on co-op remained.

Similarly, PlatinumGames could probably make a bog standard action game in their typical Bayonetta-like style with a few railshooter levels. Even if it wouldn't tread any new ground, it'd STILL be better than most of what we've gotten in the last decade and some change.

And Bamco? Well...again, make it more like Ace Combat, and I'd be there. I'd just have to pray for the netcode!

My pitch for Star Fox would be a mid-budget roguelike. Get a fun, arcade space shooter up and running, offer a lot of optional branching paths with various incentives and challenges like Void Bastards, fill it with randomly generated power ups like Monolith, upon defeat have the player return to the Great Fox in between runs to buy permanent upgrades. Have a basic story that most players will see through but have a lot of secrets and superbosses for the dedicated player.

Iwata, Koizumi as a General Producer and Kawamoto as a hardware Director and Shiota, not sure which role he had and am forgetting some people.

Both Koizumi and Kawamoto were chosen by Iwata himself.

There's also a good reason why the things like IR Camera are in the Joy-Cons. It's because Kawamoto was one of the heads of the development so he could use it in games that his teams produces, Nintendo Labo, 1-2 Switch, Ring Fit and so on. I remember when Switch was revealed and lot of people were like "the IR Camera is only used for that sandwich minigame lol", little did the they know it would all make sense after few years.
I wanted to speculate who would be potentially spearheading...new hardware.

People talking about the Star Fox timeline and overarching narrative....like...I don't know, maybe if that's what you want, look elsewhere.
They should make a game that plays like 64 but with new levels and graphics. Just have the same story, like how 64 and snes. It really doesn't matter.

Yeah, but you know how I meant that. Koizumi, Kawamoto and so on.
I don't think I follow...

As far as I know, the person who spearheads the project determines the overall direction of what the console should focus on. The Switch was for the most part Iwata's brainchild, yet some refuse to admit it (because they think more of the Wii and its "gimmicks" when they think of Iwata).

From what I understand, if it's the "same people" spearheading the operation, then this will be Furukawa's first "project" given his position, and whatever direction it takes will determine exactly what sort of principle he carries to the company.

Then again, Furukawa might not even be directly involved either.

I don't think I follow...

As far as I know, the person who spearheads the project determines the overall direction of what the console should focus on. The Switch was for the most part Iwata's brainchild, yet some refuse to admit it (because they think more of the Wii and its "gimmicks" when they think of Iwata).

From what I understand, if it's the "same people" spearheading the operation, then this will be Furukawa's first "project" given his position, and whatever direction it takes will determine exactly what sort of principle he carries to the company.

Then again, Furukawa might not even be directly involved either.
that's giving too much credit. especially when they publicly stated that others were the lead.

People talking about the Star Fox timeline and overarching narrative....like...I don't know, maybe if that's what you want, look elsewhere.
They should make a game that plays like 64 but with new levels and graphics. Just have the same story, like how 64 and snes. It really doesn't matter.
Besides Metroid, Star Fox was the only Nintendo EPD IP that had a continuous storyline (I guess Zelda too in a very loosely connected sort of way). Their partners of course have stuff like Mother, Golden Sun, Fire Emblem and Xenoblade, but for the time, it was pretty novel to have a Nintendo franchise have a continuous storyline. I mean, for those who don't care and just want their Nintendo plots to be "beat up the bad guy and save the princess", it doesn't matter anyway, but for people who played the series, they have some degree of investment into seeing how the story and characters develop over time. No problem with that.

I think Dardan's trolling. But it's not the first time I've seen people say Star Fox should ditch their well-known furry characters and make it all humans. Usually it's a suggestion by people who don't care about the characters or series in the first place.

Like what Miraj said above, Nintendo never really fully committed to Zero being a "reboot", just saying that it was a "reimagining" of Star Fox 64 that existed alongside and complimented the original game. According to Miyamoto, the reason the game was a reimagining of 64 is because they were experimenting with a new control scheme and wanted to keep things simple by retelling the events of the first two released games.

I never really saw Command as completely writing the series into a corner considering it had endings that restore the status quo, and even Takaya Imamura said back then that a potential Command follow up could just simply ignore all of the endings anyways lol.

Nintendo doesn't really give a shit about lore/story in their games that much that it'd let them restrict what they can or can't do when making new games so I never really bought the narrative that Command was impossible to follow up from just because it had some weird throwaway "what if" endings. The only reason the game has those weird endings anyways is because Dylan Cuthbert wanted to make it a "Choose your own adventure book" kind of game when Imamura originally set out to just do one single storyline just like in Assault.
They will likely stick to the Zero timeline for convenience's sake though, because we already have the original Star Fox and Star Wolf in Starlink and the most recent games (3D and Zero) also feature the original quartet.

No point following up the story from a 2005 game. The Status Quo had already changed quite a bit by the time Command started.

They will likely stick to the Zero timeline for convenience's sake though, because we already have the original Star Fox and Star Wolf in Starlink and the most recent games (3D and Zero) also feature the original quartet.

No point following up the story from a 2005 game. The Status Quo had already changed quite a bit by the time Command started.

Well, as Miraj stated, Metroid Dread followed up the story from a 2002 game nearly 20 years later...

I think Starlink featuring the original teams is really just more the result of it just being based on Zero, the most recent game in the series as of this time that was designed as a direct reimagining of 64 and thus recycling the same cast and basic plot for simplicity's sake due to the weird control scheme. Ubisoft has already implied that that it's probably not really canon to anything anyways. 64 3D is also just a basic remake of 64 that wasn't really meant to affect the status quo so of course it also just features the OG cast.

I mean it's not like Nintendo has completely thrown out Adventures, Assault and Command. Krystal shows up as an assist trophy in Smash Bros. Ultimate and The Battle Begins anime short, which Miyamoto and Imamura were heavily involved in, has a shout-out to Planet Sauria. The Star Fox Starlink stuff also has a little shoutout to Adventures, so I feel like if Nintendo really has completely thrown out the post Adventures timeline, they've been doing it in a pretty lackadaisical way.

There's actually evidence that NCL higher ups like Miyamoto and especially Imamura enjoyed what came out of the GCN/DS games, the latter just commemorated Adventures' 20th anniversary with this drawing of Krystal on Twitter last week. So I don't think Zero was meant to completely erase everything the post-64 games did.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom