• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Frankly the only option for Zelda TP and WW are the Game Awards

The only other game that have a chance of a Twitter drop is Prime 1, but even that is based on Nintendo wanting an excuse to not talk about Prime 4 so....

Looking through the credits of Kirby’s Dream Buffet again and considering the high amount of staff crossover, I wonder if it originally started as a Sub-Game for Forgotten Land before being spun-off into its own thing.

Forgotten Land is different to the other Kirby games in that all of its Sub-Games are part of Waddle Dee Town instead of being their own thing.

Probably 0. I don’t even think he heard about them coming this year. October is holiday season. Why would you be making big games announcements like that so late in the year for 2022?
Didnt Emily say that she thinks that Prime will be a Twitter reveal most certainly?

Next week is last chance for a holiday release of Prime 1 Remaster.

Also wonder if 1 2 Switch sequel is coming soon or was cancelled lol. Maybe its been internally delayed until they redone the product to something more interesting.

As in 1 week we will get first mario movie teaser, best opportunity to announce a new 2D Mario just in time for when movie releases (late march so its still a FY22/23 title).

Was the mystery Remake/Remaster Bamco was making for Nintendo ever figured out? I'm guessing it wasn't the Pac-Man or Tales games that were shown off at the latest Direct since those are multi-platform. My hope is still that it's a Star Fox Assault remake for next year's 30th anniversary of the franchise.

Though Nintendo didn't even acknowledge Adventures' 20th anniversary so maybe I shouldn't get my hopes up.

If everyone else is afraid to say it, then I will! If you want a good Star Fox game, Nintendo is going to have to do this:

Make a game that plays like Star Fox 64 with brand new levels, and make sure the controls are good

If everyone else is afraid to say it, then I will! If you want a good Star Fox game, Nintendo is going to have to do this:

Make a game that plays like Star Fox 64 with brand new levels, and make sure the controls are good
Oh I feel so relieved now. Thanks for saying it. I just..I just couldn’t muster up the courage to do it.

I think this is actually how you make a good Star Fox:

Step 1: Call up Treasure.
Step 2: Make Sin & Punishment 3
Step 3: What series was this about again?

I think this is actually how you make a good Star Fox:

Step 1: Call up Treasure.
Step 2: Make Sin & Punishment 3
Step 3: What series was this about again?
i think you'd have an easier time reviving alpha dream than reminding treasure that they should be releasing games lol.

Not by Treasure, that was by Live Wire, formed by ex-Cave folks IIRC and brought three Cave shmups to Switch last year,
Treasure don’t really have much of a workforce anymore (their current head count is under 10) so anything involving them needs to be externally developed; I assumed that went without saying :)

It was still their prerogative to rerelease a game that they own, that’s the aspect of the post i’m replying to.

Actually, making a good star fox game is pretty easy.
You take kid icarus uprising, you put fox instead of pit and done. Now you have the best star fox game ever made.

The problem is that Star Fox isn’t very good.

Star Fox was revolutionary, and some of it is still very fun, but the last good game is so far in the past that the only two options are a retro feeling “same as the old games with new levels” or a radically new game that happens to have the same characters but builds on where games are now rather than where they 20 years ago.

It’s like if they never made 3D Mario, and just kept remaking SMB3 over and over again and someone asked “how do you make Mario great now?”

If they do a new on-rails only, arcade-style Star Fox, for the love of god do not make it another Lylat Wars retelling. Even if Zero had normal controls, it was highly disappointing seeing it retread old ground story-wise yet again. Just do a follow-up to Assault. There's plenty they could develop from there.

Star Fox was revolutionary, and some of it is still very fun, but the last good game is so far in the past that the only two options are a retro feeling “same as the old games with new levels” or a radically new game that happens to have the same characters but builds on where games are now rather than where they 20 years ago.

It’s like if they never made 3D Mario, and just kept remaking SMB3 over and over again and someone asked “how do you make Mario great now?”
i 100% agree and i keep saying it over and over.

Maybe i really am not a sf fan and i dont get the appeal of its gameplay so its understandable fans will disagree but for me SF simply cannot succeed by being what it is.

Maybe a 30 dollar title.

i 100% agree and i keep saying it over and over.

Maybe i really am not a sf fan and i dont get the appeal of its gameplay so its understandable fans will disagree but for me SF simply cannot succeed by being what it is.

Maybe a 30 dollar title.
And Miyamoto ain’t making no $30 Star Fox game. Star Fox will be looked at as a fully priced title like the series has always been.

I don't think the story in Star Fox matters. Just make it some goofy Saturday morning stuff you experience through the radio chatter in the levels. Make the primary focus a game that's really fun to play, and very replayable.

Treasure don’t really have much of a workforce anymore (their current head count is under 10) so anything involving them needs to be externally developed; I assumed that went without saying :)

It was still their prerogative to rerelease a game that they own, that’s the aspect of the post i’m replying to.
their current head count is 1

The question is what will modern audiences feel is worth buying $60 at retail by the millions? Because Nintendo wants the series to be at that level, not an e-shop title. The takes I usually see in here are to make it another Star Fox 64, but will a short arcadey game with branching paths and an incredibly simple story really be that big a deal? Would Zero have sold well if it didn't have the hardware and controls holding it back? I mean, they packed in a second game for the initial release.

Kid Icarus Uprising, despite being a big revival and having Sakurai at the helm fresh off of Brawl, didn't even reach 1.5 million units. Sin & Punishment 2, despite being on a super popular console which hosted a revival of light gun and rail shooter-style games, flopped hard. Some will say that Star Fox has to be a 90s-style rail shooter, or it's not true to itself anymore, but considering how highly experimental the franchise has always been, and considering how audience tastes have changed, maybe they should try something else.

There's still interest in the series. People like the potential it has, they like the music, the characters, the setting, and several games are beloved either by fans or critics, or both. It's a lot like Donkey Kong or Metroid where it fell onto hard times for a while, but saying the series has always sucked or lesser-known rail shooters should get brought to Switch instead isn't really helpful and is more just outright dismissal from those who don't care about the IP anyway.

The question is, looking outside the hardcore gamer bubble - what would that be? What would appeal to the silent majority? Perhaps they don't even know what will grab their interest until they see it. Nintendo likes to surprise us, but I hope whatever they have in mind for the future of the IP, they really give it their all, and no more of this rushed, mismanaged or misguided development that's hampered almost all of the games in the series.

I don't think the story in Star Fox matters. Just make it some goofy Saturday morning stuff you experience through the radio chatter in the levels. Make the primary focus a game that's really fun to play, and very replayable.

The irony is that's basically what Miyamoto was trying to do with Zero

this is so based and entirely correct

give me furry thunderbirds

What I would say for Star Fox, is make a game like it's going to be the last one they ever release. Give it the resources and time it needs to a quality product, and give it the kind of fan service that fans across the board can get behind. If it fails, at least it went on a high note.

I think Kid Icarus Uprising shows that you can make a fun arcade shooter AND also really emphasize the story and characters. I'd like to see a new SF title made like that.

👏 let 👏 fox and 👏 wolf 👏 kiss
Fixed to fit my preferred pairing~!

There's still interest in the series. People like the potential it has, they like the music, the characters, the setting, and several games are beloved either by fans or critics, or both. It's a lot like Donkey Kong or Metroid where it fell onto hard times for a while, but saying the series has always sucked or lesser-known rail shooters should get brought to Switch instead isn't really helpful and is more just outright dismissal from those who don't care about the IP anyway.
I actually liken it more to Fire Emblem, pre-Awakening.

Like, it's hard to imagine nowadays, but FE was at a point where it was on the decline in sales, even after it finally got released westward. Awakening very well could have been the last game in the series, if it being the "big celebration of the series" as well as doing some new things that went over well with a majority didn't stick the landing.

Likewise, I believe a similar thing could be done with Star Fox. But it's up to Nintendo and their partners to figure it out. In the meanwhile, go all OUT, for a change, instead of just phoning it in.

I disagree, only because I think Star Fox SHOULD be like a mecha anime. Cool vehicles, likeable characters, some intrigue here and there, with a setting that should be changing dynamically after major conflicts.

Or in other words...Ace Combat~! Y'know, the other arcade-y flight shooter series that was in a slump, but dropped what was easily one of the best games in the series a few years ago, and completely revitalized it.

I think Kid Icarus Uprising shows that you can make a fun arcade shooter AND also really emphasize the story and characters. I'd like to see a new SF title made like that.
I still don't believe an on-rails shooter is going to amount to a significantly larger sales figure, even if you bump the budget up to something rivaling Fire Emblem or Xenoblade or whatever

What I would say for Star Fox, is make a game like it's going to be the last one they ever release. Give it the resources and time it needs to a quality product, and give it the kind of fan service that fans across the board can get behind. If it fails, at least it went on a high note.
I like this. It worked for Fire Emblem when that fact gave InSys the oomph and passion they needed to go all out. Why not do that for some lingering IPs?

Star Fox...and Sonic the Hedgehog...have been in a very similar situation in that once the series garnered success, the developers didn't know what to do with 'em after a while, making big missteps along the way. I'd settle for a fully HD Star Fox 64. Wheels don't have to be reinvented with new entries I think, just give that which people enjoyed most.

Back
Top Bottom