• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Anyone have a guess as to what he's up to? https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Hiromasa_Shikata

Would love to figure out exactly what's going on, if anything, with 2D Zelda at Nintendo. Obviously we got Link's Awakening which was a remake, but for the guy who directed the last two original 2D Zelda games to not have any credits to his name at all for 7 years is a bit odd, right? I assume EPD just doesn't really have the bandwidth to work on 2D and 3D Zelda but that begs the question what do they have him doing.
1-2 Switch and 1-2 Switch 2

Anyone have a guess as to what he's up to? https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Hiromasa_Shikata

Would love to figure out exactly what's going on, if anything, with 2D Zelda at Nintendo. Obviously we got Link's Awakening which was a remake, but for the guy who directed the last two original 2D Zelda games to not have any credits to his name at all for 7 years is a bit odd, right? I assume EPD just doesn't really have the bandwidth to work on 2D and 3D Zelda but that begs the question what do they have him doing.
prototyping new 2D game ideas or other games maybe?

how would it be any different from the previous mario games?
I mean Mario games always looked great but I think it’s interesting to see something like a new 3D Mario with this engine. New lighting, maybe the games also feel different etc. I really liked the graphics of Switch Sports.
For 2D Mario, it could finally coincide with a new art style.

Yeah, he could easily be prototyping ideas for a new 2D Zelda but either he and Aonuma haven't settled on a new idea, or it took a while to settle on a new idea and get a full production group assigned. Pikmin 4 is the latest example of a Nintendo title with a protracted development; Switch Sports seemed to go through a lengthy and difficult development before it settled into being a relatively conventional continuation of the series so we have recent examples of EPD titles that are just difficult for Nintendo to settle on.

In early 2017 Aonuma said he wanted 2D Zelda to make big changes to Zelda the way Breath of the Wild had done and that the 'portable' team (so people like Shikata) would remain separate from the open world games so that they could continue with the portable series. Link's Awakening being remade obviously isn't the new take on portable Zelda Aonuma had in mind, so it's possible that something is in the works under Shikata but that it's having a lengthy gestation.

I think a key thing to look out for would be if he has heavy involvement in Tears of the Kingdom. If he doesn't, then it could be a signal that 2D Zelda is in the works.

I mean Mario games always looked great but I think it’s interesting to see something like a new 3D Mario with this engine. New lighting, maybe the games also feel different etc. I really liked the graphics of Switch Sports.
For 2D Mario, it could finally coincide with a new art style.
all of that isn't really tied to the engine. if they changed engines, we wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at it

Yeah, he could easily be prototyping ideas for a new 2D Zelda but either he and Aonuma haven't settled on a new idea, or it took a while to settle on a new idea and get a full production group assigned. Pikmin 4 is the latest example of a Nintendo title with a protracted development; Switch Sports seemed to go through a lengthy and difficult development before it settled into being a relatively conventional continuation of the series so we have recent examples of EPD titles that are just difficult for Nintendo to settle on.

In early 2017 Aonuma said he wanted 2D Zelda to make big changes to Zelda the way Breath of the Wild had done and that the 'portable' team (so people like Shikata) would remain separate from the open world games so that they could continue with the portable series. Link's Awakening being remade obviously isn't the new take on portable Zelda Aonuma had in mind, so it's possible that something is in the works under Shikata but that it's having a lengthy gestation.

I think a key thing to look out for would be if he has heavy involvement in Tears of the Kingdom. If he doesn't, then it could be a signal that 2D Zelda is in the works.
1-2 Switch 2

EPD4 have at least 5 pipelines,in terms of directors :

Tomodachi Life - Miitomo - ??? (Ryutaro Takahashi)
1-2 Switch - 1-2 Switch 2 (Hiromasa Shikata)
Ringfit Adventure - ??? (Hiroshi Matsunaga)
Miitopia - Ringfit Adventure - Miitopia Switch (Yuichiro Ito)
LABO - LABO 2 - LABO 3 - LABO 4 - Game Builder Garage (Tsubasa Sakaguchi)
Brain Age - Big Brain Academy (Kenta Kubo)
Switch Sports (Yoshikazu Yamashita)

They alone are responsible for 1/3 of epd output on switch lol

Last edited:
all of that isn't really tied to the engine. if they changed engines, we wouldn't be able to tell just by looking at it
yeah it’s not tied to the engine, but you can definitely tell if there’s a difference. Look at Bowsers Fury vs Odyssey. These kinds of changes are interesting.

“Recently, people of all generations have been enjoying the 3D Mario game Super Mario Odyssey (released in 2017), so for 3D Mario going forward, we want to try expanding further in new ways.”

in new ways = something 3D Mario games haven´t done before ?

Do I read way to much into this ?

Anyway, I can´t wait for the next 3D Mario game !

Monolith hired the Lead Environment artist from bloodborne
Several staff from Gravity Rush/Knack
Art and Programming are just a bit bigger than 2/DE but the design team in charge of field is massive
Team from 90 to 120 have to take a closer look
Lot of new monolith staff unveiled in the last years is uncredited
Some Staff from DE didnt move to 3
No Honne
Incredibly late reply sorry lol

Do you have any examples for Japan Studio staff? I couldn't find Bloodborne's lead environment artist and would love to show some solid info for a video I'm working on

Edit: ah Yoichi Akizuki!

Last edited:
Incredibly late reply sorry lol

Do you have any examples for Japan Studio staff? I couldn't find Bloodborne's lead environment artist and would love to show some solid info for a video I'm working on

Edit: ah Yoichi Akizuki!

Really appreciate it <3 will of course credit your work

Video I'm planning is highlighting what previous Japanese Sony partners are currently working on - a ton going for independent IPs

It's fascinating seeing some staff jump straight to Nintendo but I suppose what other Japanese game dev has the opportunities of Japan Studio

Really appreciate it <3 will of course credit your work

Video I'm planning is highlighting what previous Japanese Sony partners are currently working on - a ton going for independent IPs

It's fascinating seeing some staff jump straight to Nintendo but I suppose what other Japanese game dev has the opportunities of Japan Studio
Still a shame Nintendo didn't just immediately open a new studio with a big sign saying "All Japan Studio folks, enter here!". Would've been legendary.

Basically the NDCube of Japan Studio.

“Recently, people of all generations have been enjoying the 3D Mario game Super Mario Odyssey (released in 2017), so for 3D Mario going forward, we want to try expanding further in new ways.”

in new ways = something 3D Mario games haven´t done before ?

Do I read way to much into this ?

Anyway, I can´t wait for the next 3D Mario game !
I would just like to say that 3d evolved in Vr! I really think next 3d mario could be VR as this is next evolution of 3d. It also could be AR also all on next gen Switch hence the reason this could be a lot more powerful.

What is AR anyway. I can only think of those cards from the 3ds and if thats the case they should not even think about it lol

All mid-carreer hires from splatoon 3

971zhAI.png

MIpSPXf.png

vkO16df.png

Ko82wkG.png

eGCaInP.png

izQwR1r.png

Ego6Kqc.png

KplJDYB.png

Sf08DxQ.png
Zoinks, that's a lot of (dare I say) poaching :O . Not sure how usual that's historically been for Nintendo, I remember something like EPD Tokyo being opened specifically to tap into Sega and Square talent pools.

I saw somewhere sometime someone mentioned that Next Level Games might be working on multiple games at the same time.
Do we know at all if that is true? Like, Strikers is a much smaller game than Lugi's Mansion 3. I was thinking maybe it is possible that, after LM3, they worked on 2 smaller games alongside eachother. Like Strikers and Punch Out or something.
Is that realistic at all?

I saw somewhere sometime someone mentioned that Next Level Games might be working on multiple games at the same time.
Do we know at all if that is true? Like, Strikers is a much smaller game than Lugi's Mansion 3. I was thinking maybe it is possible that, after LM3, they worked on 2 smaller games alongside eachother. Like Strikers and Punch Out or something.
I don't think there's any way of know if they are or not, so I wouldn't put stock in it

not really, strikers was slight bigger (285 x 271)

Still a shame Nintendo didn't just immediately open a new studio with a big sign saying "All Japan Studio folks, enter here!". Would've been legendary.

Basically the NDCube of Japan Studio.

But why would they have done this? Wasn't Japan Studio based in Tokyo? Any former Japan Studio employees interested in working at Nintendo could try to work at EPD Tokyo, Monolith Tokyo, 1-up Studio, etc. Why would they open up an entirely new studio just to house a portion of Japan Studio interested in working at Nintendo? What would the point have been? Internet credit amongst Nintendo diehards?

But why would they have done this? Wasn't Japan Studio based in Tokyo? Any former Japan Studio employees interested in working at Nintendo could try to work at EPD Tokyo, Monolith Tokyo, 1-up Studio, etc. Why would they open up an entirely new studio just to house a portion of Japan Studio interested in working at Nintendo? What would the point have been? Internet credit amongst Nintendo diehards?
Having a team of experienced folks from one of Sony's (former) most notable devs in the region would be a huge get, especially if they gave them the freedom to make new IP (at least one to start with). Why just add folks to EPD Tokyo who will inevitably work on 3D Mario (and possibly a 2D DK) when they could make stuff that wasn't really appreciated at Sony? Imagine stuff similar to Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, and the like with Nintendo? Would sell far more at Nintendo than at Sony I'd bet. Just a hypothetical scenario but it's fun to imagine.

Having a team of experienced folks from one of Sony's (former) most notable devs in the region would be a huge get, especially if they gave them the freedom to make new IP (at least one to start with). Why just add folks to EPD Tokyo who will inevitably work on 3D Mario (and possibly a 2D DK) when they could make stuff that wasn't really appreciated at Sony? Imagine stuff similar to Ape Escape, Gravity Rush, and the like with Nintendo? Would sell far more at Nintendo than at Sony I'd bet. Just a hypothetical scenario but it's fun to imagine.

They could easily work in teams at an established Nintendo studio. If they want to make a franchise similar to one they did at Sony, all they would need to do is pitch it. Starting a whole new studio to poach former development staff (when there's no guarantee most of that staff is interested in working at Nintendo, given how many game companies have Tokyo studios) seems like a very costly move compared to hiring them at existing studios.

They could easily work in teams at an established Nintendo studio. If they want to make a franchise similar to one they did at Sony, all they would need to do is pitch it. Starting a whole new studio to poach former development staff (when there's no guarantee most of that staff is interested in working at Nintendo, given how many game companies have Tokyo studios) seems like a very costly move compared to hiring them at existing studios.
Perhaps, but you never know if you don't at least attempt at making the effort to see if said people are up for it. Assuming Nintendo don't already make attempts behind the scenes. Still Nintendo almost never make new studios for some reason, really NDCube IIRC (1UP was more of a repurpose) was the last attempt at building a new studio (albeit what was a hollow shell full of dust for years) full of ex-Hudson folks. So Nintendo have done it before. Maybe it was just easier because they had an office they (partially) owned, that and they had the ex-President of Hudson to lead the charge, so that was a HUGE help in getting the ball rolling on that. Plus obviously Hudson's folks must've been pretty happy with their work with Nintendo, both on Mario Party, and on Nintendo support (since they were BIG Wii supporters) over the years. It was a super natural transition I'd think.

Perhaps, but you never know if you don't at least attempt at making the effort to see if said people are up for it. Assuming Nintendo don't already make attempts behind the scenes. Still Nintendo almost never make new studios for some reason, really NDCube IIRC (1UP was more of a repurpose) was the last attempt at building a new studio (albeit what was a hollow shell full of dust for years) full of ex-Hudson folks. So Nintendo have done it before. Maybe it was just easier because they had an office they (partially) owned, that and they had the ex-President of Hudson to lead the charge, so that was a HUGE help in getting the ball rolling on that. Plus obviously Hudson's folks must've been pretty happy with their work with Nintendo, both on Mario Party, and on Nintendo support (since they were BIG Wii supporters) over the years. It was a super natural transition I'd think.
but what benefit does a new studio bring instead of a new team within EPD bring? sounds like what you want is the articles that comes with "Nintendo establishes new studio with Sony Japan Studio leads"

but what benefit does a new studio bring instead of a new team within EPD bring? sounds like what you want is the articles that comes with "Nintendo establishes new studio with Sony Japan Studio leads"
Well that :p, but it helps open up the possibility of more new IPs, since EPD Tokyo have yet to make one that I'm aware of.

That's quite the risk compared to hiring at places that already exist.

You rightly mention NDcube's situation. Unlike NDcube, Nintendo doesn't have Japan Studio's heads lined up ready and willing to join. You have people who don't have any particular experience or attachment working with Nintendo. It's not a comparable situation. You are right that Nintendo rarely starts new studios. Why would they start here?

I have mentioned here before that there is a tendency for certain Nintendo fans to assume that the ultimate goal for third party companies is to make games for Nintendo. There is also a similar tendency amongst the same people to assume that the ultimate goal for ANY development staff is to work FOR Nintendo. I don't think that's true.

Well that :p, but it helps open up the possibility of more new IPs, since EPD Tokyo have yet to make one that I'm aware of.

Supposing Nintendo was willing to create an entirely new studio and greenlight new IPs under them, why wouldn't they be willing to greenlight new IPs under their existing studios? It wouldn't cost nearly as much money.

Why would this be a thing? That sounds pointless and under a huge weird assumption that everyone in the industry would want to work for Nintendo.

...Why does this need to be a Nintendo anyways

You are right that Nintendo rarely starts new studios. Why would they start here?
Gotta start somewhere? :p
Supposing Nintendo was willing to create an entirely new studio and greenlight new IPs under them, why wouldn't they be willing to greenlight new IPs under their existing studios? It wouldn't cost nearly as much money.
True, but my assumption is that a new studio would have a higher chance at a new IP specifically made for it, than taking EPD Tokyo off the obviously crucially important 3D Mario game they'd already be working on, for example.

Gotta start somewhere? :p

True, but my assumption is that a new studio would have a higher chance at a new IP specifically made for it, than taking EPD Tokyo off the obviously crucially important 3D Mario game they'd already be working on, for example.

I think that's a faulty assumption.

If you have to start somewhere, start from inside the company itself. Not everyone at EPD Tokyo has to be working on Mario, and they can outsource work as needed (as is standard practice).

they didnt even save alpha dream and thats an 20 year partner that made several million sellers
Didn't they have a lot of debt for some reason? I don't know why the leads didn't just move to Nintendo regardless, seems like they went to Arzest instead (who helped them on Bowser's Inside Story 3DS).

I was thinking here and what even happend with Yamagami? He kind of disappeared out of nowhere and there was no news whatsoever about him not being on nintendo anymore. lol

Its fun to think of nintendo opening new studios but given their history, its more likely they expand on existing teams. Keeping everything under one umbrella seems to be their mo.

But regarding new ip, didn't Furukawa mentioned (i think late last year/early this year) that they were interested in creating new ips? So yeah you wont wake up one day and see on twitter: "Nintendo forms a new Seattle-based studio with COD/Battlefield veterans" lol. Its more likely when if a shooter comes out from Nintendo, the credits will tell us.

Really enjoyed this video (y)
Makes me wonder if we could make a thread, like this one here, but instead of Nintendo First Party, dedicating to projects that are in development, that appeal to Nintendo fans
Like Project JabberWocky, The new 3D Yooka-Laylee by Playtonic, Evening Star´s (Former Sonic Mania staff) 3D Action Platformer ...

I know retro has Rockstar and sony vet, not sure about cod. If they do open a seattle studio (or near Retro in houston) I hope they called it Modern or Future Studios lol
They have several devs from battlefield and cod yeah. Like the comment above me said, they hired a bit from everyone.
Even if they have like a bit of everything at this point, they were formed originally by the founder of Iguana Entertainment and vets from it and folks who worked on Ultima.
It was a joke but like, those people are a minority now anyways.

They have several devs from battlefield and cod yeah. Like the comment above me said, they hired a bit from everyone.

It was a joke but like, those people are a minority now anyways.
Yeah, as a lot left over time (especially the leads that formed Armature, I think they all were from Iguana prior? I forget).

Back
Top Bottom