• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

I'm curios if we'll see Luigi mansion 4, for next year for a Halloween release, since LM3 sold bonkers numbers. If not i can maybe see a HD port for LM1.
I'm fine with a longer wait for LM4. Remake/remaster the first game first, get them all on Switch, and let Next Level Games go all out on a different game. I want them to work that same magic that blissfully went into LM3 into something else, preferably fresh and new, definitely most desirably into a new IP.

Of course, LM3 needed LM2 to walk for it to run, but still that's where a new IP can take everything they learned and more and apply it for a new IP that they can be a world in their own oyster as it were in. Besides, I've always been an advocate of Next Level Games taking over from Rare left off and create their own western mascot franchise aka Banjo, or Crash and Spyro. Something Nintendo in Japan can't scratch. We need more variety and flavor. And few in the world are more qualified to give us something truly magical than Next Level Games.

They have like, the best animators of any Nintendo studio and hell may even give Nintendo Pictures, a strictly animation studio some tough competition! Let's see what cool shit they can come up with. Especially if they have folks from places like Mainframe (ReBoot and Beast Wars), Bardel (countless DreamWorks and even the Viva Pinata TV show) to devs like Radical (Crash of the Titans and Scarface), Propaganda (Turok 2008), United Front (Sleeping Dogs), Coalition (Gears 4 and 5), etc. Vancouver has some of THE finest talent in Canada.

I'm curios if we'll see Luigi mansion 4, for next year for a Halloween release, since LM3 sold bonkers numbers. If not i can maybe see a HD port for LM1.
they're not doing HD versions two years in a row. It's a thing they never do, similar to how it should have been obvious that they weren't gonna do the thing where they dumped WWHD and TPHD out there right after SSHD and what made all those rumormongers out there look like absolute clowns when they were trying to will that into existence.
If we're getting Luigi 2 HD this year then there's not gonna be another Luigi Mansion re-do next year. Assuming NLG is not working in 2HD, they might put out Luigi 4 next year (no matter how much I wished they did something else before they do another Luigi). Though I still think us getting the HD reworking of 2 this year means the series will sit out a year before we get another (don't pull out 3DS 2018, Luigi 3 2019 now, that was on two wildly different systems).

Is the EPD8 2D Project still a thing? (i.e. it's a game we don't know about and was not just collaborative work on Mario Wonder)

This 2D game would be another project in addition to the 3D Mario title expected at Switch 2's launch?
supposedly, just happy it got confirmed once and for all it wasn't the Peach game, which never made sense regardless since it wasn't a 3D game on a 2D plane but rather a 3D with fixed cameras.

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker since the old site days. I was wondering about a question that I thought the folks here were best equipped to answer.

This is pertaining to Deamon X Machina. I know it's not a first-party game as the only connection is that Nintendo had published the title outside of Japan, but I noticed something interesting. I stumbled across a video of the Prototype Mission demo that was released, and I believe is no longer available. One curious thing that caught my eye was Nintendo's presence in the copyright section.

DzUysPcVAAAE81x.jpg:orig

While at first I thought this implied that Nintendo had some sort of ownership over the game, I noticed that this wasn't present anywhere else. Not in any of the game's initial trailers, not in the final release, so I'm stumped to what this could mean. Did Nintendo have some sort of ownership over the title at a point in time? Or is this just an odd situation where for whatever reason, Nintendo owned the rights to the demo?

Hello Everyone,

Long time lurker since the old site days. I was wondering about a question that I thought the folks here were best equipped to answer.

This is pertaining to Deamon X Machina. I know it's not a first-party game as the only connection is that Nintendo had published the title outside of Japan, but I noticed something interesting. I stumbled across a video of the Prototype Mission demo that was released, and I believe is no longer available. One curious thing that caught my eye was Nintendo's presence in the copyright section.

DzUysPcVAAAE81x.jpg:orig

While at first I thought this implied that Nintendo had some sort of ownership over the game, I noticed that this wasn't present anywhere else. Not in any of the game's initial trailers, not in the final release, so I'm stumped to what this could mean. Did Nintendo have some sort of ownership over the title at a point in time? Or is this just an odd situation where for whatever reason, Nintendo owned the rights to the demo?
Nintendo owns the rights of Prototipe Missions.

It seems likely that their intl. publishing arrangement is what facilitated the production of this Prototype Missions demo that was used to gather feedback for further development and otherwise wouldn't have come about so their involvement in the production of this and organizing/localizing the feedback survey (this is all me just speculating). So like Ojoloco says, that would reasonably explain why they'd co-own the copyright to the Prototype Missions demo but not the final game.

edit: or it's much more basic: see post below

Last edited:
It seems likely that their intl. publishing arrangement is what facilitated the production of this Prototype Missions demo that was used to gather feedback for further development and otherwise wouldn't have come about so their involvement in the production of this and organizing/localizing the feedback survey (this is all me just speculating). So like Ojoloco says, that would reasonably explain why they'd co-own the copyright to the Prototype Missions demo but not the final game.
That's interesting, I wonder if that makes this one of the most obscure pieces of Nintendo owned software. I couldn't find examples of this in their other internationally published games either.

It being related to their publishing arrangement would explain why the Japanese version of the demo, which was called Prototype Orders, didn't have Nintendo present in the copyright info.

Going back to the topic of Mystery Dungeon, I’ve highlighted the Rescue Team DX staff that also worked on the new Shiren game. It doesn’t take into account other Spike Chunsoft projects, though. Also, the sound staff being mostly the same isn’t that surprising since Noisycroak has been involved with several Spike Chunsoft titles.

Producers​

• Seiichiro Nagahata
  • Kunimi Kawamura (TPC)

Directors​

• Shin-ichiro Tomie
  • Hironori Ishigami

Event Director​

• Emiko Tanaka

Lead Game Planner​

• Akihiro Kaneko

Game Planners​

• Sazuki Munakata
  • Shonosuke Morisue
  • Yoshihiro Tamura

Lead Programmer​

• Takuya Kanai

Programmers​

• Reo Kobayashi
  • Yasuyuki Yamagishi
  • Yusuke Kojima
  • Etsuo Oishi
  • Hiroshi Nakamura
  • Masaaki Sawada
  • Minoru Nakajima
  • Yoshihito Kira

Art Directors​

• Hiroko Takano
  • Keisuke Sakurai

Character Modeling​

• Migaku Matsui
  • Tetsuya Tochigi
  • Hideaki Tsukushi
  • Mio Miyasaka
  • Masakazu Kohama
  • Ku Hou

Character Animation​

• Wataru Nagano
  • Kazutaka Horikawa
  • Aya Hasegawa
  • Naoki Mori

Graphic Effects​

• Fuyuhiko Koizumi
  • Takuya Araki
  • Kentarou Okanou
  • Satoko Matsue
  • Mami Sasaki

Background​

• Kosei Hatanaka
  • Tatsuya Morita
  • Eri Tominaga
  • Yasuhiro Oda
  • Hazuki Nara
  • Tetta Igarashi
  • Subaru Gambe
  • Naoko Tochishita
  • Yume Iwamoto
  • Kiyoshi Tate
  • Narumi Shinomiya
  • Hideaki Hakozaki

Cutscenes​

• Hisashi Nagai

2D Art​

• Kaoru Hasegawa
  • Shigeru Kawahara
  • Go Ono
  • Erika Suzuki
  • Hisashi Ikeda
  • Yuka Sugiyama
  • Daisuke Shimamua
  • Shoko Imaizumi
  • Koichiro Makino
  • Nobuaki Mihara
  • Miku Iida
  • Hidemitsu Masui
  • Yu Sato
  • Ryugo Koizumi

UI Designer​

• Jun Tomizawa

Sound Director​

• Ryoma Nakamura

Sound Producer​

• Hideki Sakamoto

Music Arrangement & Composition​

• Keisuke Ito

Original Music Composition​

• Arata Iiyoshi
  • Atsuhiro Ishizuna

Sound Effects​

• Ichiro Ebisu
  • Sohh Satou
  • Takuma Kanai
  • Eisei Kudo
  • Yuya Nakamura

Scenario​

• Shin-ichiro Tomie

Development Manager​

• Kensuke Oguri

Producers​

• Takato Utsunomiya (TPC)
    • Kazunori Sugiura (TPC)
    • Hitoshi Yamagami (EPD)

Executive Producer
    • Mitsutoshi Sakurai
    • Shuntaro Furukawa (EPD)
    • Tsunekazu Ishihara (TPC)

That's interesting, I wonder if that makes this one of the most obscure pieces of Nintendo owned software. I couldn't find examples of this in their other internationally published games either.

It being related to their publishing arrangement would explain why the Japanese version of the demo, which was called Prototype Orders, didn't have Nintendo present in the copyright info.
see, that part about the JP version of it I didn't know. I'd then slightly retract most of my post and just go with "they just co-own the name of the demo". Or something. Again, pulling this entirely out of my seating apparatus.

Does anyone know the extent to which Nintendo was involved in Disney Illusion Island? The reason I ask is because it seems like in 2022, Nintendo started utilizing a new webpage layout for games they published. No third-party release that I could find utilizes the new layout. However, Disney's Illusion Island seems to be an exception despite it being published by Disney.
Old Layout
New Layout
Illusion Island
Third Party
With the limited search I did, the only information I could find was that some Nintendo employees were found in the credits or given special thanks. I wonder why Sparks of Hope utilized the old layout, despite it releasing in 2022 and also featuring Nintendo employees in the credits.

This presentation is from 2018 and is focused on UI.

Last edited:
Does anyone know the extent to which Nintendo was involved in Disney Illusion Island? The reason I ask is because it seems like in 2022, Nintendo started utilizing a new webpage layout for games they published. No third-party release that I could find utilizes the new layout. However, Disney's Illusion Island seems to be an exception despite it being published by Disney.
Old Layout
New Layout
Illusion Island
Third Party
With the limited search I did, the only information I could find was that some Nintendo employees were found in the credits or given special thanks. I wonder why Sparks of Hope utilized the old layout, despite it releasing in 2022 and also featuring Nintendo employees in the credits.

Reminds me of the good old days when Nintendo used to produce Hanafuda with Disney characters. That’s a good sign for us long time fans, if Switch 2 flops we might have hope for a revival…

Old Layout
New Layout
Illusion Island
Third Party

Well originally I was under the impression that Nintendo was only involved in the international distribution, but looking at the box art. It appears that Nintendo is credited in the copyright information, though this seems to be only for North America.

img_20230802_20042205k8d6s.jpg

Nintendo is not involved in the Japanese release as for as I know, and the PAL version only says "Licensed by Nintendo". I'm not too familiar with this, I suppose this means the title was co-published in NA?

Edit: Looking into this, it seems that this is standard for NA releases where Nintendo was the distributor.

Last edited:
Well originally I was under the impression that Nintendo was only involved in the international distribution, but looking at the box art. It appears that Nintendo is credited in the copyright information, though this seems to be only for North America.

img_20230802_20042205k8d6s.jpg

Nintendo is not involved in the Japanese release as for as I know, and the PAL version only says "Licensed by Nintendo". I'm not too familiar with this, I suppose this means the title was co-published in NA?

Edit: Looking into this, it seems that this is standard for NA releases where Nintendo was the distributor.
Ooh, good call on the distribution bit, as indeed, Fae Farm does as well!

(Random eBay grab):

s-l1600.png

Yea always remember the quiet distribution deals that Nintendo often makes. It's why lots of those early Betheda ports for Switch came through Nintendo in PAL land with the Nintendo seal-plastic wrapping and different treatment when it comes to special offers/promotions.

Has there been any update on what's going on with PlatinumGames? If there's no special announcements, this year may be the first year in a long while that they haven't released a game.

Has there been any update on what's going on with PlatinumGames? If there's no special announcements, this year may be the first year in a long while that they haven't released a game.
I believe we've had evidence from patents filed by EPD producers/directors a couple years ago that suggested something Astral Chain being in the works. Even tho Nintendo fully owns the franchise, I think they'd get Platinum on board to make the sequel. I believe it can come in 2025.

They released Bayonetta 3 and Origins just 5 months apart, Astral Chain came out of nowhere in 2019, so I guess they're okay and whatever they have next will have a short reveal to release cycle (just like Cereza and the Lost Demon had just 3 months), and hey maybe they have another Nintendo collab even!

Platinum were involved with a "part" of Final Fantasy XVI (speculated to be the boss fights) and may have a similar role in its DLC. Interestingly, it was led by Takahisa Taura (Astral Chain director), so who knows how that impacts a possible sequel. We already know the original began pre-production circa 2014, three years before Nier Automata.

The lack news is likely due to releasing a lot of games within the last few years and Project GG probably getting cancelled.

Platinum were involved with a "part" of Final Fantasy XVI (speculated to be the boss fights) and may have a similar role in its DLC. Interestingly, it was led by Takahisa Taura (Astral Chain director), so who knows how that impacts a possible sequel. We already know the original began pre-production circa 2014, three years before Nier Automata.

The lack news is likely due to releasing a lot of games within the last few years and Project GG probably getting cancelled.
wasn't it just Taura, like, supervising elements of the combat in general? Or was that all just speculation? I only remember the early news from around its announcement.

wasn't it just Taura, like, supervising elements of the combat in general? Or was that all just speculation? I only remember the early news from around its announcement.
That was for Nier Replicant 1.5. He and a small team worked directly on XVI.

PlatinumGames Inc.​

Game DesignerTakahisa Taura
Programming LeadRyo Onishi
ProgrammingJongmin Yun
Character Modeling LeadKoji Ishida
Character ModelingHiroshi Fukuoka
Environment Design LeadNaoya Yokoyama
Environment DesignKanae Omata, Ryu Hashimoto
Animation LeadHirokazu Takeuchi
AnimationTomohiro Ozawa, Tasuku Takahashi, Xia Laize
Cinematic Design LeadKunihiko Tsuda
Cinematic DesignEisaku Onishi
Visual Effects Design LeadTakuo Yamamoto
Visual Effects DesignAnju Kishi, Naoki Tsuta
Sound Design LeadNaoki Hiraiwa
Technical ArtistMasanori Takashima
Senior Outsourcing ManagerTsuneharu Nishioka
Outsourcing ManagersAtsushi Kurooka, Misaki Kimura
Project ManagerMichiya Hamamoto
ProducerEijiro Nishimura

Old Layout
New Layout
Illusion Island
Third Party

Nintendo also distributed the game in Southeast Asia, so yeah they have some deals with the game.

Back
Top Bottom