• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

"Original work" could just mean the game is not a remake like Link's Awakenings. Doesn't necessarily mean it is a new IP. I'd be interested in either from Grezzo.

With the recent R&D expansion news. How do you think it'll be set up? Will there be more EPD teams for internal game development as well as working on original games from outside developers?

With the recent R&D expansion news. How do you think it'll be set up? Will there be more EPD teams for internal game development as well as working on original games from outside developers?
I just assume it's just to stuff what we have now. My preference would be setting up new named studios to tackle their own future IPs. Get some folks from prominent devs, like stuffing what ex-Platinum folks they can find into their own in-house successor to take care of Astral Chain (get Taura even if they can). Should've done this with AlphaDream as well but too late now I guess.

They did right with giving Hudson's folks a cozy home at the dusty ND Cube office by getting the just then ex-President of Hudson to join and put up neon signs welcoming them all in. We need more of this.

I just assume it's just to stuff what we have now. My preference would be setting up new named studios to tackle their own future IPs. Get some folks from prominent devs, like stuffing what ex-Platinum folks they can find into their own in-house successor to take care of Astral Chain (get Taura even if they can). Should've done this with AlphaDream as well but too late now I guess.

They did right with giving Hudson's folks a cozy home at the dusty ND Cube office by getting the just then ex-President of Hudson to join and put up neon signs welcoming them all in. We need more of this.
I think Nintendo should have a team within EPD focused on seeking out promising independent start up studios in Japan, both for new IPs and original takes on Nintendo characters. Something similar to what Sony's XDev was in its early days for Europe. It'd be interesting to see a new generation of Nintendo second parties in a vein of Intelligent Systems of Grezzo.

Sony is banking on this strategy by partering up with start up developers to make debut titles with PS Studios. Nintendo doing something like this, but for Japanese development would be cool to see.

I think Nintendo should have a team within EPD focused on seeking out promising independent start up studios in Japan, both for new IPs and original takes on Nintendo characters. Something similar to what Sony's XDev was in its early days for Europe. It'd be interesting to see a new generation of Nintendo second parties in a vein of Intelligent Systems of Grezzo.

Sony is banking on this strategy by partering up with start up developers to make debut titles with PS Studios. Nintendo doing something like this, but for Japanese development would be cool to see.
AKA the successor to Marigul Management (which my blog Marigold News & Reviews is named after, no joke) would be outstanding! Especially if we get solid, inventive and colorful new IPs like we did with Cubivore, Doshin the Giant, and Custom Robo. Plus fresh takes of Nintendo IP ala Hey You, Pikachu!

Something I think a lot of people missed: The OP says NST worked on the 3D World part of SM3DW + Bowser's Fury, but judging from the credits and a handful of NST employee postings I found it sounds like it was actually the other way around: NST appears to have worked on Bowser's Fury and EPD 8 worked on porting 3D World.

42l08dU.jpeg

AKA the successor to Marigul Management (which my blog Marigold News & Reviews is named after, no joke) would be outstanding! Especially if we get solid, inventive and colorful new IPs like we did with Cubivore, Doshin the Giant, and Custom Robo. Plus fresh takes of Nintendo IP ala Hey You, Pikachu!
They've been doing similar stuff like that with European developers such as with SFB games and Snipperclips and Paladin with Good Job!

Something I think a lot of people missed: The OP says NST worked on the 3D World part of SM3DW + Bowser's Fury, but judging from the credits and a handful of NST employee postings I found it sounds like it was actually the other way around: NST appears to have worked on Bowser's Fury and EPD 8 worked on porting 3D World.

42l08dU.jpeg

They only worked on bowser fury, multiple staff specified it, theres even more examples http://www.franciscoartwork.com/video-game-credits , dont know who spread that they ported 3d world

I discovered another Bezel Engine game.

Finally got around to trying Createaju (remake of an old Japanese indie game) and was met with the Bezel Engine splash screen.

I thought 3D World was NST doing the port and co-developing Bowser's Fury with EPD 8? It's been known for a while that NST were involved with BF.

You know, I was thinking, what IF (big IF) all the rumors about upcoming games are true?

We'll get a new Mario, Donkey Kong, Mario Kart 9, Fire Emblem, Kirby, Advance Wars (already confirmed), Breath of the Wild 2, all in 2022/2023.
Then I wonder, what's left for the launch of Switch 2, which probably will launch end of 2023/2024?

Pretty sure there were EPD planners/level designers credited in 3D World + Bowser's Fury and I don't think any new levels were added to the 3D World portion.

It's likely that EPD, 1-UP, and NST all worked on Bowser's Fury.

42l08dU.jpeg

I have a hard time comprehending these large credits list, but it seems like NST did much more extensive development on Bowser's Fury than I expected. That's a really positive sign, because BF was the best 3D Mario since Galaxy. Also now I better understand why people were saying that EPD Tokyo was overdue for a game.

Any idea what the EPD/NST ratio was for Bowser's Fury?

I have a hard time comprehending these large credits list, but it seems like NST did much more extensive development on Bowser's Fury than I expected. That's a really positive sign, because BF was the best 3D Mario since Galaxy. Also now I better understand why people were saying that EPD Tokyo was overdue for a game.

Any idea what the EPD/NST ratio was for Bowser's Fury?

Production
Yoshiaki Koizumi
Shigeru Miyamoto
Shinya Takahashi
Kaori Ando

NST
Shigeki Yamashiro
Karen Ishikawa
Lauren Wells
David Carlson
Nobuyo Johnston
Laura Nelson
Tomosumi Sato

Planning
Shinya Hiratake
Yuka Kitahara
Kenta Motokura
Futoshi Shirai
Daisuke Tsujimura

1-UP
Yuichi Iwasa
Eisaku Sato
Nozomi Isoda

NST
Philip Brodsky
Brandon Dulyea
Paul Kranich
Vincent Leone
Kees Luyendijk
Vivek Melwani
Daisy Pigeon
Chris Polney

Art
Yasuhiko Matsuzaki
Yuki Nakamura
Kazunori Hashimoto
Sho Murata
Hirotaka Tanikawa
Mizuki Tatsuno
Rikuto Yoshida
Shuhei Ishii
Eiji Funahashi
Shuhei Sugimoto

1-UP
Yotaro Doi
Teppei Kamata
Kyoko Kamikubo
Mio Kikuchi
Yujiro Mori
Naoya Nihei
Ikki Oikawa
Koki Sasaki
Haruka Seko
Risa Sugimoto
Takayuki Yaeno

NST
Kevin Chung
Jeremiah Gallardo
Marcos Gomes
Francisco Guerrero Lopes
Erica Hanson
Brian McNeely
Steven Petofalvi
Geoff Phoenix
Fei Mi Quek
Diego Rothenbach
Anthony Settimi
Edward Sherman
James Showecker
Mark Trono
Sean Yamura
Arturo Jauregui Osante
Amber Kalina
Jami Moravetz
Mic Marvin
Joel Blakely

Sound
Nobuyoshi Suzuki
Daisuke Matsuoka
Yuki Tsuji

1-UP
Hiroki Araya

NST
James Phillipsen

Programming
Katsuyasu Ando
Norihiro Aoyagi
Takeshi Hayakawa
Hideyuki Sugawara
Atsushi Yamaguchi

1-UP
Yuichi Kurata

NST
Ruchi Bhatwal
Jonathan Bryant
Silvia Draper
Gregory Hall
Jonathan Johnston
Rory Johnston
Zakary Wilson
Mark Smith
Cristina Pohlenz Garza
Sean Lutterman
Ryan Lynd
Deana McCarthy
Gabriel Miller
Timoty Minalia
Yoonjoon Lee
Carlie Olson

Debug
Toru Inage
Asuka Nishiura
Hitomi Naitoh
Sayaka Takagi
Takeshi Tamura

NST
Nami Jamesson

Network
Mizuki Fujisawa

Artwork
Shigehisa Nakaue
Keisuke Okubo
Yuri Adachi

Unknown
Taiki Asamizu
Rika Fukumoto
Kanji Kobayashi
Kumiko Terashima

New EPD or 1-UP Artists
Yukinori Arata - former Ignis Imageworks
Kenichiro Ikeya - former Polyphony Digital
Masato Misaki - former M2

Just found out NST even did the rigs for the most important characters

gallery_rig_bowser.jpg

gallery_rig_plessie.jpg

Pretty sure there were EPD planners/level designers credited in 3D World + Bowser's Fury and I don't think any new levels were added to the 3D World portion.

It's likely that EPD, 1-UP, and NST all worked on Bowser's Fury.
I'm expecting that to be the arrangement for the next 3D Mario, too. Might reduce the strain on resources in Kyoto if EPD 8 (in Tokyo, I know) can lean more on other studios for development support - 1-UP have a history with 3D Mario, of course, but NST and perhaps iQue could be lending assistance to the next game.

Someone said NST managed to rehire former employees, do we know who? A lot left during the HAMMER debacle (and sadly for good reason), I hope the studio's done a 180 since those horribly stressful times to convince folks to come back.

It's also very reassuring as Bowser's Fury may indeed their biggest work since HAMMER failed (or should I say... dropped?) since they exclusively worked on more bite-sized stuff like the Mario vs. DK games and assisting on those western eShop games on Switch (Snipperclips, The Stretchers, and Good Job!). Hopefully they're gearing up for a true renaissance to their pre-HAMMER glory days again with original projects of their own that suit them, like a new 1080 or Wave Race, or SOMETHING.

The last headcount I can see for NST is nearly 3 years out of date, when they had 50 staff. It'll be interesting to see how much bigger they've become in the meantime.

It makes sense for Nintendo to invest in subsidiaries and internal divisions across the board, even if EPD continues to receive the lion's share of investment. But it would be a big positive for Nintendo if they can gradually build NST into a studio once again capable of handling their own project, and hopefully for now they have more of a development support role on new games than just a role in porting games.

Someone said NST managed to rehire former employees, do we know who? A lot left during the HAMMER debacle (and sadly for good reason), I hope the studio's done a 180 since those horribly stressful times to convince folks to come back.

It's also very reassuring as Bowser's Fury may indeed their biggest work since HAMMER failed (or should I say... dropped?) since they exclusively worked on more bite-sized stuff like the Mario vs. DK games and assisting on those western eShop games on Switch (Snipperclips, The Stretchers, and Good Job!). Hopefully they're gearing up for a true renaissance to their pre-HAMMER glory days again with original projects of their own that suit them, like a new 1080 or Wave Race, or SOMETHING.
its was me

Production
Yoshiaki Koizumi
Shigeru Miyamoto
Shinya Takahashi
Kaori Ando

NST
Shigeki Yamashiro
Karen Ishikawa
Lauren Wells
David Carlson
Nobuyo Johnston
Laura Nelson
Tomosumi Sato

Planning
Shinya Hiratake
Yuka Kitahara
Kenta Motokura
Futoshi Shirai
Daisuke Tsujimura

1-UP
Yuichi Iwasa
Eisaku Sato
Nozomi Isoda

NST
Philip Brodsky
Brandon Dulyea
Paul Kranich
Vincent Leone
Kees Luyendijk
Vivek Melwani
Daisy Pigeon
Chris Polney

Art
Yasuhiko Matsuzaki
Yuki Nakamura
Kazunori Hashimoto
Sho Murata
Hirotaka Tanikawa
Mizuki Tatsuno
Rikuto Yoshida
Shuhei Ishii
Eiji Funahashi
Shuhei Sugimoto

1-UP
Yotaro Doi
Teppei Kamata
Kyoko Kamikubo
Mio Kikuchi
Yujiro Mori
Naoya Nihei
Ikki Oikawa
Koki Sasaki
Haruka Seko
Risa Sugimoto
Takayuki Yaeno

NST
Kevin Chung
Jeremiah Gallardo
Marcos Gomes
Francisco Guerrero Lopes
Erica Hanson
Brian McNeely
Steven Petofalvi
Geoff Phoenix
Fei Mi Quek
Diego Rothenbach
Anthony Settimi
Edward Sherman
James Showecker
Mark Trono
Sean Yamura
Arturo Jauregui Osante
Amber Kalina
Jami Moravetz
Mic Marvin
Joel Blakely

Sound
Nobuyoshi Suzuki
Daisuke Matsuoka
Yuki Tsuji

1-UP
Hiroki Araya

NST
James Phillipsen

Programming
Katsuyasu Ando
Norihiro Aoyagi
Takeshi Hayakawa
Hideyuki Sugawara
Atsushi Yamaguchi

1-UP
Yuichi Kurata

NST
Ruchi Bhatwal
Jonathan Bryant
Silvia Draper
Gregory Hall
Jonathan Johnston
Rory Johnston
Zakary Wilson
Mark Smith
Cristina Pohlenz Garza
Sean Lutterman
Ryan Lynd
Deana McCarthy
Gabriel Miller
Timoty Minalia
Yoonjoon Lee
Carlie Olson

Debug
Toru Inage
Asuka Nishiura
Hitomi Naitoh
Sayaka Takagi
Takeshi Tamura

NST
Nami Jamesson

Network
Mizuki Fujisawa

Artwork
Shigehisa Nakaue
Keisuke Okubo
Yuri Adachi

Unknown
Taiki Asamizu
Rika Fukumoto
Kanji Kobayashi
Kumiko Terashima

New EPD or 1-UP Artists
Yukinori Arata - former Ignis Imageworks
Kenichiro Ikeya - former Polyphony Digital
Masato Misaki - former M2

Just found out NST even did the rigs for the most important characters

gallery_rig_bowser.jpg

gallery_rig_plessie.jpg
Wow, thanks for this. They re-rigged Plessie?! :p

Anyways, that's some serious co-development. Great to see a top-tier game coming from that collaboration - goes to show that Nintendo really takes getting the pressure off of EPD seriously.

BTW I think the way the credit sequence was set up was really cool, everyone alphabetically and equally - but it made it a little harder to comprehend.

its was me
A couple of big names there. Nice that the director of 1080 Avalanche came back. Bodes well for a 1080 revival I hope.

they don't need more teams, they just need more staff to have more simultaneously running full productions.

42l08dU.jpeg

They only worked on bowser fury, multiple staff specified it, theres even more examples http://www.franciscoartwork.com/video-game-credits , dont know who spread that they ported 3d world
That was leftover stuff pre-/around launch when we didn't really know yet. I had forgotten to update that bit and it was then copied over into this thread as-is.

BTW I think the way the credit sequence was set up was really cool, everyone alphabetically and equally - but it made it a little harder to comprehend.
Mario Odyssey's credits were the best of both worlds by being in alphabetical order and also listing the role alongside their name.

Funny bringing him up, since he just announced his departure from NST in the last 24 hours; once again specifying that he worked on the Bowser's Fury portion.

pdyJ2oB.png

t3cLtn1.png

Good luck to him at Bend; and i'm curious to see just how much of a blast NST's next project will be.

Mario Odyssey's credits were the best of both worlds by being in alphabetical order and also listing the role alongside their name.

Funny bringing him up, since he just announced his departure from NST in the last 24 hours; once again specifying that he worked on the Bowser's Fury portion.

pdyJ2oB.png

t3cLtn1.png

Good luck to him at Bend; and i'm curious to see just how much of a blast NST's next project will be.

Blast huh…

pdyJ2oB.png

t3cLtn1.png

I'm struggling to find a snappy portmanteau of monke and NST, which means it likely won't happen

Has anybody noticed that Toyokazu Nonaka's name has been poping up in a lot of EPD out-house productions recently? He's been producer on Xenoblade Chronicles X, Buddy Mission Bond, the most recent Pokemon titles, Nintendo's indie co-pros, and DC Superhero Girls. Quite a lot for a guy. You think he's being prepped as new EPD GM?

Has anybody noticed that Toyokazu Nonaka's name has been poping up in a lot of EPD out-house productions recently? He's been producer on Xenoblade Chronicles X, Buddy Mission Bond, the most recent Pokemon titles, Nintendo's indie co-pros, and DC Superhero Girls. Quite a lot for a guy. You think he's being prepped as new EPD GM?
No, he's only credited when a major part of development is outside EPD. It's more likely he's working under Keisuke Terasaki in the Development Administration and Support Division

So what's with some of the teams within EPD? That next Direct may answer some of our questions about most of it, but many of their teams still remain a huge question mark for the time being. Rather, the teams in particular that have been allegedly MIA for a while are:

EPD 8
They have to have some new 3D Mario title in the works, but we'll probably see that later. (Bowser's Fury was all NST, I believe) But some say they're working on a Donkey Kong game. Personally, I don't buy that one.

EPD 9
Where did this team even go all this time? We haven't heard Yabuki or anyone else say anything about anything in a while either. Were they involved with Mario Kart Live Circuit any?

Contrary to popular belief, they're not the ones wasting time and resources on endlessly updating Mario Kart Tour (that's the smartphone division, I would think). And even if they had a hand in that, it doesn't stop them from making any other games.

There are rumors going around about a Mario Kart 9, but do they have plans for an ARMS sequel at all? Better hope they haven't completely abandoned the latter.

EPD 10
Last we heard from them was Super Mario Maker 2. Abruptly ended that on its final update. Pikmin 3 Deluxe was more on Eighting, and Big Brain Academy was not EPD 10, but 4.

At this point, it looks like they have no idea what to do with 2D Mario anymore. And who knows about Pikmin 4 anymore at this point.

Sure, we have Covid affecting things here and there, but somehow that doesn't stop EPD 4 (random "experimental" titles on Switch) and EPD 5 (Animal Crossing and Splatoon) from being in rapid-fire mode.

No, he's only credited when a major part of development is outside EPD. It's more likely he's working under Keisuke Terasaki in the Development Administration and Support Division
I doubt it since outside developers still primarily face with EPD. I think I can remember an old Mario and Sonic interview where he was now a Deputy GM of EPD.

More fuel for my Tri-Force Heroes 2 theory then.
Indeed, they knew what they were doing when they said it was stylish.
Except the twist is that it's actually a mashup successor to both Tri Force Heroes and Majora's Mask, where the different outfits are employed to solve problems in the many quests.
It's a very eerily cozy sort of dark-edged game.

Can NST make Captain Toad 2 pretty please, they are perfectly capable to take it on.
It is time:
[Captain Toad is] about to stumble into an adventure somewhat more akin to classic 3D Zelda games, though one still very much his own.

It's come up a number of times around here, but I do think it might make sense for Nintendo to try to poach some talent from Mercury Steam -- given the management troubles and employee abuse, as well as Nintendo's work with the team, which included that team setting up a communication channel -- and also, perhaps, Ubisoft Milan -- given the well-publicized troubles at Ubisoft, Nintendo's close work with the team and how they have impressed Miyamoto, and Davide Soliani's own Nintendo fandom and desire to work on Nintendo's games.

That would set up a small development presence in Europe, through giving homes to employees who already have a working relationship with Nintendo and who might want to switch over from their current employers.

I seem to recall @MisterSpo and I conversed about this a little.

It would certainly be interesting to see what would come of this.

It's come up a number of times around here, but I do think it might make sense for Nintendo to try to poach some talent from Mercury Steam -- given the management troubles and employee abuse, as well as Nintendo's work with the team, which included that team setting up a communication channel -- and also, perhaps, Ubisoft Milan -- given the well-publicized troubles at Ubisoft, Nintendo's close work with the team and how they have impressed Miyamoto, and Davide Soliani's own Nintendo fandom and desire to work on Nintendo's games.

That would set up a small development presence in Europe, through giving homes to employees who already have a working relationship with Nintendo and who might want to switch over from their current employers.
The problem with this is where would they put them? Mercury Steam in in Spain and Dave Soliani's team is in Italy. Not exactly close by. Even if Nintendo were to open a studio between those 2 countries (France?), would they be willing to relocate themselves and their families? The only other option would be to open several studios across various European countries that are home to developers friendly to Nintendo, but that probably wouldn't be very cost effective. I think their best option would be to continue to foster good relationships with those teams to produce content for Nintendo consoles.

Last edited:
Feel like it’s overdue for Nintendo to have a in house development team in Europe. Hopefully that’s part of the development expansion plan

Back
Top Bottom