• Hey Guest! As we are sure you are aware, Russia has invaded Ukraine. Check out our pinned thread in the Roost for resources on how to support Ukraine in their ongoing crisis. Let's show our solidarity with the Ukrainian people!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Development Thread |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

MetalLord

Moblin
9gaF6L0.png

N75

Shriekbat
Three Hopes credits.

Nothing really surprsing on the EPD/IS front, as expected. Tsutomu Tei is credited as a supervisor, so he’s still at IS despite not being credited since Echoes.

A number of staff, including the director, engineering lead, and one of the producers, were last credited on Attack on Titan 2 in 2018 according to Mobygames. Unless there’s a game missing or something else got cancelled in between, Three Hopes could have been in development for quite a while.

Pronouns
He/Him
Three Hopes credits.

Nothing really surprsing on the EPD/IS front, as expected. Tsutomu Tei is credited as a supervisor, so he’s still at IS despite not being credited since Echoes.

A number of staff, including the director, engineering lead, and one of the producers, were last credited on Attack on Titan 2 in 2018 according to Mobygames. Unless there’s a game missing or something else got cancelled in between, Three Hopes could have been in development for quite a while.
Yeah I can totally see the resemblance to AOT2. Intriguing.

Supreme Bum 01

Piranha Plant
Definitive proof that Prime Remake was finished last september

Contract Senior Environment Artist
Retro Studios · Full-time
Jan 2021 - Sep 2021 · 9 mos
Austin, Texas Metropolitan
Unannounced project. Asset and level optimization, LOD creation and improvement, lightmapping, aesthetic adjustment/correction, general troubleshooting, and bug fixing through pre-alpha to project completion.
This conflicts with the main rumor about Metroid Prime remastered in the first place right? First time I heard about it was that guy on ResetEra who said when Metroid Prime 4 was failing at Bandai Namco, Nintendo was impressed with Retro's work on Metroid Prime remastered and put them on Prime 4. That would would mean Metroid Prime remastered was being worked on as far back as 2018. Have I missed something?

MetalLord

Moblin
This conflicts with the main rumor about Metroid Prime remastered in the first place right? First time I heard about it was that guy on ResetEra who said when Metroid Prime 4 was failing at Bandai Namco, Nintendo was impressed with Retro's work on Metroid Prime remastered and put them on Prime 4. That would would mean Metroid Prime remastered was being worked on as far back as 2018. Have I missed something?
i think its right,its exact like the insider said
Late 2017/Early 2018 - Prime remake started
Mid/Late 2018 - Nintendo impressed by the quality of the graphics,cancels Namco Prime 4, Retro takes over Prime 4
2019 - while Game Designers,Programmers and Concept Artists are in the planning stages of Prime 4,the rest of the team is working on the remake
Late 2019 - Prime 4 gets to the point it need more artists,retro creates an outsourcing department to help finishing the remake
2020 - Small team at retro and outsource partners keep working on Prime Remake
January 2021 - Prime Remake is feature complete, a large number of contractors is hired to help polish the game graphics
Sepember 2021 - Prime Remake is finished,all the contractors hired in january are let go,team now full on Prime 4

N75

Shriekbat
Looking further into it, AOT 2 had a large expansion in 2019 and the staff I mentioned above also worked on One Piece: Pirate Warriors 4 in 2020, so the gap makes more sense now.

Supreme Bum 01

Piranha Plant
i think its right,its exact like the insider said
Late 2017/Early 2018 - Prime remake started
Mid/Late 2018 - Nintendo impressed by the quality of the graphics,cancels Namco Prime 4, Retro takes over Prime 4
2019 - while Game Designers,Programmers and Concept Artists are in the planning stages of Prime 4,the rest of the team is working on the remake
Late 2019 - Prime 4 gets to the point it need more artists,retro creates an outsourcing department to help finishing the remake
2020 - Small team at retro and outsource partners keep working on Prime Remake
January 2021 - Prime Remake is feature complete, a large number of contractors is hired to help polish the game graphics
Sepember 2021 - Prime Remake is finished,all the contractors hired in january are let go,team now full on Prime 4
I guess I am confused about the "pre alpha to project completion" part if he worked on it from Jan - Sept 2021. Based on the rumored timeline the game was being worked on it late 2018.

sanstea

Moblin
Pronouns
He/Him
120 from nintendo
80 from monolith
165 from outsourcing
230 testers(japan,usa,europe)
320 voice work,localization,special thanks

Thanks.

I wondered if they currently have another Wii U launch games scenario happening over there where basically over half of Kyoto is working on BOTW2 to get it done and out, having to neglect other games in development in the process.

With BOTW it doesn't seem like that was the case. Though to be fair, how many employees did EPD Kyoto consist of in 2015/2016? I remember Nintendo mentioning that in 2019 it was 700 employees in total at Kyoto, though that probably also includes staff unrelated to software development as well.

Last edited:

Dardan Sandiego

Dill Spowser‘s nephew
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
This was a thought that sprung from a recent discussion about first vs. third party but do we know why Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors are published by KT in Japan and Nintendo overseas?

Lelouch0612

Growing Install Base
Pronouns
He/Him
This was a thought that sprung from a recent discussion about first vs. third party but do we know why Hyrule Warriors and Fire Emblem Warriors are published by KT in Japan and Nintendo overseas?
That's basically how they chose to make the deal work. KT is very much able to publish in Japan but Nintendo has the stronger distribution network overseas. I imagine KT cut is higher for domestic sales since they publish it there.

Dardan Sandiego

Dill Spowser‘s nephew
Founder
Pronouns
he/him
That's basically how they chose to make the deal work. KT is very much able to publish in Japan but Nintendo has the stronger distribution network overseas. I imagine KT cut is higher for domestic sales since they publish it there.

It's just weird to see the games listed as games licensed for overseas release. Would be interesting to see the actual deal on this.

MetalLord

Moblin
Thanks.

I wondered if they currently have another Wii U launch games scenario happening over there where basically over half of Kyoto is working on BOTW2 to get it done and out, having to neglect other games in development in the process.

With BOTW it doesn't seem like that was the case. Though to be fair, how many employees did EPD Kyoto consist of in 2015/2016? I remember Nintendo mentioning that in 2019 it was 700 employees in total at Kyoto, though that probably also includes staff unrelated to software development as well.
Its not so bad,of the 12 game designers who worked on BOTW
5 haven't worked on anything
3 worked on Splatoon 2
2 worked on Super Mario Maker 2
1 worked on Mario Kart Tour
1 worked on RingFit Adventure

of the 30 artists
11 haven't worked on anything
9 worked on RingFit Adventure
5 worked on Animal Crossing
2 worked on Switch Sports
2 worked on Super Mario Odyssey
1 worked on Arms

most of the team already worked in other switch games,its monolith that got clogged and had to double its size to compensate 70% of their staff at the time working on zelda

ILikeFeet

Manakete
it's probably a matter of KT having enough clout to ask for and receive the license for the IPs in addition to being able to work on story extensions

Chalphy

Piranha Plant
Pronouns
He
It's important to remember some context around Koei's business. For a long time they've wanted to expand the reach of the Warriors brand in the West, and partnering with popular brands like Zelda and Fire Emblem help them achieve that goal. Using Nintendo's marketing arm helps them get the Warriors brand in front of way more people than Koei Tecmo America's ever could. The publishing duties aren't important, it's about growing the brand.

Top Bottom