• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

When Retro is working on a game nintendo likes to make sure people know it.
Do they? Returns and Tropical Freeze were announced more as "the return of DK!" than "the return of Retro!", although their name was advertised. As for Tanabe saying he didn't know what Retro was doing, this is more the press asking about Retro than Nintendo actively keeping us updated about them.

Do they? Returns and Tropical Freeze were announced more as "the return of DK!" than "the return of Retro!", although their name was advertised. As for Tanabe saying he didn't know what Retro was doing, this is more the press asking about Retro than Nintendo actively keeping us updated about them.
i think you answered your own question. I didn't say that Nintendo advertised those games (or any game for the matter) as the return of retro, but they definitely made sure people knew they were the ones behind those games, which is much more than they do for the other subsidiaries (that is basically making people think nintendo themselves did it)

I think the fact the press asked is important, i doubt they'd ask if nlg was developing strikers for example.

Game freak hiring unreal engine physics programmers
not for pokemon,1 department makes those indie games nobody cares

Do not besmirch harmoknight or pocket card jockey

they're ditching unity? lol

What the hell is happening today? Are we getting a UE4 game soon?

GF usually handles the programming in-house for Gear Project games, while outsourcing most of the art. Maybe the next game is bigger in scope.

tokkun-studio-paper-mario-the-origami-king-benoit-ferriere-nintendo-intelligent-systems.jpg

It seems like the lead artist (contractor) from origami king is working with nintendo in a new project
CEO Art director Tokkun Studio - Lead visual artist Nintendo

Art director unannouced project
SecretSecret
Nov 2021 - Present · 8 mos

Oh nice. Origami King looked absolutely amazing. Hopeful the next project will be similarly beautiful.

it's a shame we don't get more concept art from nintendo like this
Agreed for sure! In this case it's worth noting that you can unlock reams of concept art in Origami King. I think this was one of the included images.

I just realized that Paper Mario Origami King was finished in late 2019, and released in July 2020, so the new game might be done and released if not for COVID.

it's a shame we don't get more concept art from nintendo like this
This one was included in the game itself! Both Color Splash and Origami King have huge concept art galleries. Wish more Nintendo games did it, but I guess they want to sell you art books for the larger releases.

Maybe there's a SLIM (or should I say... FLAT?) chance of the next PM being a proper RPG at last as Origami King was greenlit before Mario & Luigi more or less died with the death of Alpha Dream. Assuming this was greenlit after TOK's release, then this would be made with that in mind and maybe finally with the pushback Nintendo/IntSys will make one at last? Maybe? :p :(

Maybe there's a SLIM (or should I say... FLAT?) chance of the next PM being a proper RPG at last as Origami King was greenlit before Mario & Luigi more or less died with the death of Alpha Dream. Assuming this was greenlit after TOK's release, then this would be made with that in mind and maybe finally with the pushback Nintendo/IntSys will make one at last? Maybe? :p :(
Well famiboards said the game is amazing therefore no pushback obviously

Gray Ginther just came back to Retro Studios (Senior Character Artist from Tropical Freeze, Lead from Darksiders,also worked on Darksiders 1,2,3,,Ratchet 2,3,4,Resistance,Remnant: From the Ashes,etc)

I have a question, when it comes to job listing for Nintendo games, does it mean that project is almost done or is it in the middle of development?

Gray Ginther just came back to Retro Studios (Senior Character Artist from Tropical Freeze, Lead from Darksiders,also worked on Darksiders 1,2,3,,Ratchet 2,3,4,Resistance,Remnant: From the Ashes,etc)
i do love how many artists (i mean in general, not just people who draw or related) are returning to retro. MP4 has big chances of being very promising : )

goddammit is there a way to remove those ugly emojis smh

i do love how many artists (i mean in general, not just people who draw or related) are returning to retro. MP4 has big chances of being very promising : )

goddammit is there a way to remove those ugly emojis smh
I’m sure there’s people who’d love to work on Metroid Prime.

Definitive proof that Prime Remake was finished last september

Contract Senior Environment Artist
Retro Studios · Full-time
Jan 2021 - Sep 2021 · 9 mos
Austin, Texas Metropolitan
Unannounced project. Asset and level optimization, LOD creation and improvement, lightmapping, aesthetic adjustment/correction, general troubleshooting, and bug fixing through pre-alpha to project completion.

I forgot who it was, but one of their employees on LinkedIn was asking for people to become concept artist to help with Metroid Prime 4. Of course this doesn’t mean they’re at the beginning of development lol.

Why are so many job listings popping up now?
They’ve been hiring throughout, but they’ve seemed to turn up the hirings to a higher level this year.

They have 22 positions for hire atm. 11 of them are contracts. Think about that. Half alone is just contracts…

Imagine if they got back any of the leads like Mark Pacini.
I think someone important from the old team may have joined (there isnt any proof from my part, i just think i saw something).
Of course this doesn’t mean they’re at the beginning of development lol.
You silly goose, dont you know how this works? Everytime retro hires someone mp4 is rebooted.
Why are so many job listings popping up now?
I wish i knew, but what Procheno said does make a lot of sense.

I have a question, when it comes to job listing for Nintendo games, does it mean that project is almost done or is it in the middle of development?
it just means that they're hiring. there's usually no way to tell what phase of development they're in. someone like Next Level tends to post ads right after releasing a game though. otherwise, postings don't really tell you anything

I wonder at what companies he worked before joining during the 10s, probably in the buisness side of the industry I guess.
Who knows. We also have basically the known folks from Over Fence (Flip Wars) go unlisted since leaving Hudson to form it and also since Over Fence shut down. I'll have to recheck what their names were, I remember finding 4 of them, as Flip Wars seemingly lacked credits and it was for the most part their only game. We just knew they were formed by ex-"Bomberman" team members.

Either way, great pickup either way by ND Cube with another notable Hudson veteran. Fairly decent resume it looks like.

Edit: Here they were:

Chairman & Representative Director: Kunji Katsuki
President & Chief Executive Officer Ken Kato
Director: Yoshinori Inoue
Director: Akihiro Kosaka

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom