• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Game Director is Devon Blanchet who was previously Design Director for Luigi's Mansion 3

Credits at 3:50:15

Huh, I pegged it being Jason Carr as he's one of the founders and vets from all the way back on Sega Soccer Slam, plus he co-directed Punch-Out and directed Federation Force.

Edit: LOL Jeffery Zoern of Hotel Mario fame is back as Technical Character Art Lead here again after LM3! :p

Last edited:
Devon Blanchet is back to directing? I thought it was interesting he directed Metroid Prime Federation Force then back to design on Luigi’s Mansion 3

Oops it was Jason Carr who directed MPFF

Now the question is if Retro is also able to make two games at the same time (of course only one ‘Prime 4’ sized)

Anyway if true this looks like really great news for NLG's future output on the future, they may end up being Nintendo's most prolific subsidiary with NDCube (which kinda cheats)

Since the game has now leaked, we know the credits and
unknown.png

Retro Studios assisted with development of Mario Strikers: Battle League

Retro Studios now relegated to NLG support studio
I cant believe they did this just because i said retro wouldnt fit as an assist studio smh

I absolutely believe retro will be working on two games by the next console, but ofc only one being AAA level.

Now the question is if Retro is also able to make two games at the same time (of course only one ‘Prime 4’ sized)

Anyway if true this looks like really great news for NLG's future output on the future, they may end up being Nintendo's most prolific subsidiary with NDCube (which kinda cheats)
I see Retro getting there. I get Metroid Prime Remaster is in the same series as Prime 4, but they did work side by side (we’ll see when Remaster is announced). And they’ve only continued growing throughout.

Wait does this mean Strikers is the first new game Retro has been involved since 2014?
What a timeline…
I see Retro getting there. I get Metroid Prime Remaster is in the same series as Prime 4, but they did work side by side (we’ll see when Remaster is announced). And they’ve only continued growing throughout.
I would love to see it but is hard right now to expect it after all that has happened since 2014, I think they will continue to deliver only high quality titles just dont expect them to do every 3 years like NLG (and probably the scope of their titles doesnt allow it to be fair)

Wait does this mean Strikers is the first new game Retro has been involved since 2014?
What a timeline…

I would love to see it but is hard right now to expect it after all that has happened since 2014, I think they will continue to deliver only high quality titles just dont expect them to do every 3 years like NLG (and probably the scope of their titles doesnt allow it to be fair)
I could imagine someone st nlg called someone at retro a few times for federation force, would that count?

And yes, gone are the days where retro could churn a nee game every 2 or 3 years. They certainly arent on that route anymore, for better or worse.

Btw could someone post the link to the credits, id like to see it : )

I wouldn’t jump to Retro working on the game just yet until someone compares the credits.

It might be a bit difficult since Retro hasn’t been credited for anything since Tropical Freeze, but there are actual sections for other companies in the Battle League credits, even SRD (worked on server development).

Hi everyone. I was curious so I decided to do research on credits of LM3 and MSBL. I have a few questions though on stuff I did not understand.

1. What does "additional work" mean? I've been looking thru a lot of credits lately and these two games were first time I saw this.

2. I left out producers for NLG, as well Nintendo staff, production, and "operations" for LM3, as the former I just did not include and the later I do not understand. I would need help to understand.

3. I also did not include QA staff, as I know what it stands for but wasn't sure if its something people include when doing this.

4. I did not include other studios that were listed or their staff.

I find doing this fun and maybe people can use as a base or learn something? But I would love advice as I have trouble understanding a lot of stuff.

Hi everyone. I was curious so I decided to do research on credits of LM3 and MSBL. I have a few questions though on stuff I did not understand.

1. What does "additional work" mean? I've been looking thru a lot of credits lately and these two games were first time I saw this.

2. I left out producers for NLG, as well Nintendo staff, production, and "operations" for LM3, as the former I just did not include and the later I do not understand. I would need help to understand.

3. I also did not include QA staff, as I know what it stands for but wasn't sure if its something people include when doing this.

4. I did not include other studios that were listed or their staff.

I find doing this fun and maybe people can use as a base or learn something? But I would love advice as I have trouble understanding a lot of stuff.

This is very interesting, thanks!

I wonder if James got a couple more pokemon in for Gen 9. At least this doesn't exclude him from making new pokemon, just as a contractor
I’d imagine all the new mon designs for SV are finished so Turner probably helped out with them

Something extremely common, might i add. You absolutely cant do everything in house
I see, thanks. I thought it was something like that. But only NLG stuff has been listed like this so far.

And the confusing thing is that a lot of the people were same as LM3 staff, as in listed as the non-additional work staff on LM3, then additional work on MSBL.

I see, thanks. I thought it was something like that. But only NLG stuff has been listed like this so far.
I dont think i quite understood what you meant. Did you mean NLG was more descriptive of what the ''additional work'' meant? If so, well i guess it depends on the studio, but most nintendo studios seem to be very vague in that regard so im glad NLG explained.

Wonder who will be gen 9 art director with him gone was assuming he was going to fill that role
If I had to make a guess:

3D Graphics Lead for XY/SM/SwSh and the Art Director for USUM.

Mana Ibe is another decent possibility:

Could easily be someone different, though. Sugimori has seemingly stepped back as a whole and Unno had a significant role on Arceus.

Last edited:
I dont think i quite understood what you meant. Did you mean NLG was more descriptive of what the ''additional work'' meant? If so, well i guess it depends on the studio, but most nintendo studios seem to be very vague in that regard so im glad NLG explained.
Sorry, I am not on phone now. I will try to explain a bit better. For the people listed as "additional work" for MSBL, a lot were on LM3 as well, and some not listed as "additional work" there. All the people on "design" were on both games. All the people on "engineering" were only on MSBL, and 2 our of 3 for "UI" were on both.

The other listed companies are outsourced, but I wonder if the first section for Additional Work is a mix of contractors and full time employees?

Either way it was interesting to look at.

If I had to make a guess:

3D Graphics Lead for XY/SM/SwSh and the Art Director for USUM.

Mana Ibe is another decent possibility:

Could easily be someone different, though. Sugimori has seemingly stepped back as a whole and Iwao had a significant role on Arceus.

Iwao was more on the battle, planning side so there is no way he gonna be art director.

Quoted by: N75
probably some asset work. might just be the DKC assets touched up, but it could be more.
I hope we get some interview about the development of Strikers, maybe they talk about Retro help in the game. (And also the change in working in Strikers in 2005 vs in 2022)

all next level games credits have this
Its means that someone :
1- Left the studio midway throught development
2- Joined the studio near the end of the project
3- Was working on another project and only helped a bit
basically people that worked on the game but on a small capacity,all additional work credits are/were next level staff

Its means that someone :
basically people that worked on the game but on a small capacity,all additional work credits are/were next level staff
I see. Thank you for explaining.

Its means that someone :
This would imply that Bryce Holliday is working on another project, as he’s also listed as one of the studio directors for the company so he’s likely still there.

Monolith Soft did something similar. They used to show all their PS2 games like all their other titles, but after they renovated their site they removed all the PS2 box arts.

I dont understand the different treatment NLG and Retro get.

When Retro is working on a game nintendo likes to make sure people know it. Since forever. Ever since Prime 1 nintendo likes to show that Retro is doing the game. Nintendo mentioned them in Prime 3's announcement (i think?), were given a lot of emphasis on Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze and the Prime 4 announcement (where tanabe states retro isnt doing prime 4 and he doesnt knows what they re up to) and the Reboot (they were given special flair in there)

But in nlg's case, nintendo never mentions anything about them. We didn't even know officially strikers was from them.

I dont understand the different treatment NLG and Retro get.

When Retro is working on a game nintendo likes to make sure people know it. Since forever. Ever since Prime 1 nintendo likes to show that Retro is doing the game. Nintendo mentioned them in Prime 3's announcement (i think?), were given a lot of emphasis on Donkey Kong Country Returns and Tropical Freeze and the Prime 4 announcement (where tanabe states retro isnt doing prime 4 and he doesnt knows what they re up to) and the Reboot (they were given special flair in there)

But in nlg's case, nintendo never mentions anything about them. We didn't even know officially strikers was from them.
I think Retro is treated special in that sense when you compare it to the other Nintendo companies not just NLG. For example when NDCube makes a game we also don’t know it when they announce it (most people don’t even know that NDCube exists really) .Retro and to a lesser degree Monolith Soft , are the only studios Nintendo makes clear they are the ones working on a project

NLG for most people is Nintendo in the sense than the majority of the people think NLG games are made by Nintendo (this is a great thing btw, being able to match Nintendo EPD quality is really hard, just sad NLG doesn’t get the name they deserve outside of Nintendo fans)

Last edited:
I think part of it is that Retro came on board in the early 2000's when they wanted to discard their "kiddy" image, and an American studio making games with a gun was just what they needed. This wasn't your dad's Metroid, this is Retro's FPA Metroid Prime, and ever since they've kept promoting them to keep that prestige alive.

I think Retro is treated special in that sense when you compare it to the other Nintendo companies not just NLG. For example when NDCube makes a game we also don’t know it when they announce it (most people don’t even know that NDCube exists really) .Retro and to a lesser degree Monolith Soft , are the only studios Nintendo makes clear they are the ones working on a project

NLG for most people is Nintendo in the sense than the majority of the people think NLG games are made by Nintendo (this is a great thing btw, being able to match Nintendo EPD quality is really hard, just sad NLG doesn’t get the name they deserve outside of Nintendo fans)
That makes sense. But i dont like it. I wish nintendo would give more flair to their other studios other than Retro and Monolith.

Back
Top Bottom