• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo First Party Software Development |ST| Nintendo Party Superstars

Next Level Games:

unknown.png

PERFORMANCE ENGINEER
Are you the sort of analytical person who observes long drawn-out sentences that consume way too much prose to elucidate upon something that can be reduced down to a much simpler phrase, and think: “Make it concise”? Do you see slow serial lines at the buffet tables and imagine ways to parallelize them? Do you cringe at long load times and framerate stutters? If so, we’re looking for a systems engineer with your mindset who can apply their system engineering skills to optimize all areas of our systems, tools, and games. As an NLG Performance Engineer, you will work with the technical director and a diverse set of engineers developing core systems in the process of diagnosing and improving CPU performance, memory utilization, and load times. At the end of each project, you will have helped create a new Nintendo title that runs so smooth, people can’t help but become undistractedly lost in the game experience.

monolith should hire of of those lol

Hah. 0,6% of nintendo's shares were sold for more than SE got from 3 AAA studios and dozens of ips.

Anyway im glad things are starting to roll at NLG and NST as well. Especially NST. 9 jobs? Not bad.

Retro is still hiring 17 people lol, kinda nutsy.

Would be sweet if NST were finally back to working on their own games after Bowser's Fury came out so well. A lot of hiring going on at least.

Selling half of their shares kinda feels like distancing themselves from Nintendo rather than "enhancing the relationship", but maybe i'm misreading that.

Also you don't need to embed all of those tweets individually; they show the prior tweet in the thread so you just need three of them :)

Don't really know what to make of this DeNA thing tbh 🤷‍♂️
Nintendo increased his stock in DeNa a while ago now it's 12,7% so I don't think there is any bad issues between each other. This is just making the share they own of each more equal when it comes to the money worth of the shares they own of each other, while giving DeNa a ton of money. This also gives Nintendo more control over their own shares , Nintendo doesn't own a majority of their own shares iirc

https://dena.com/intl/ir/stock/stock-infomation.html Prove of Nintendo owning 12.7% of DeNa which makes it the 2nd major shareholder of the company

Last edited:
Nintendo increased his stock in DeNa a while ago now it's 12,7% so I don't think there is any bad issues between each other. This is just making the share they own of each more equal when it comes to the money worth of the shares they own of each other, while giving DeNa a ton of money. This also gives Nintendo more control over their own shares , Nintendo doesn't own a majority of their own shares iirc

https://dena.com/intl/ir/stock/stock-infomation.html Prove of Nintendo owning 12.7% of DeNa which makes it the 2nd major shareholder of the company
I mean you’d hope there aren’t any issues if they’re trying to enhance the relationship lol

Enhance that relationship into A STRAIGHT UP FIST FIGHT

Though seriously, it's difficult to know what that could mean. More Nintendo mobile games developed by DeNA? Original properties co-developed for Switch? Cross-platform titles for eShop and mobile?

Some bizarre financial, legalistic stuff that will be trumped up, but which has little bearing on us forum dwelling weirdos?

Next Level Games is probably growing more teams. This is why owning these developers is more important than just working with them. Nintendo can give more money for growth

Next Level Games is probably growing more teams. This is why owning these developers is more important than just working with them. Nintendo can give more money for growth
I just hope its not a team for lm3 and another for mario strikers lmao. Or if nlg wants to innovate, mario baseball.

As for NST. Im so curious to see how would they shape in a new game only by themselves. Would they be more cinematic like NLG? They certainly have an history with that lol

Would be sweet if NST were finally back to working on their own games after Bowser's Fury came out so well. A lot of hiring going on at least.
they seem to only have enough staff to assist with something like the new 3D mario. maybe a smaller title on the side the closer that is to completion

I just hope its not a team for lm3 and another for mario strikers lmao. Or if nlg wants to innovate, mario baseball.
Mario Hockey it's the best one if they have to make another Mario Sports game, they can re-use a lot of the ideas from Strikers and it hasn't been done ever as the focus of a whole game so there is no other studio that it's 'their' sport.

I'd love to see NST and NLG create their own takes on Nintendo's "core" Western-focused franchises that haven't had a game in a while. Retro's already got 3D Metroid and DK under their roof, Mercury Steam has 2D Metroid, and Wayforward has Advance Wars, so maybe NLG/NST can make new F-Zero/StarFox/Wave Race/1080 Snowboarding games? Some new IP's could be cool, too.

I'd love to see NST and NLG create their own takes on Nintendo's "core" Western-focused franchises that haven't had a game in a while. Retro's already got 3D Metroid and DK under their roof, Mercury Steam has 2D Metroid, and Wayforward has Advance Wars, so maybe NLG/NST can make new F-Zero/StarFox/Wave Race/1080 Snowboarding games? Some new IP's could be cool, too.
Would be v nice to see a star fox with nlg's production values. Wouldnt it be great if it was an actual good game too?

Next Level Games, so far, has shown they like to bring back old series. So thinking they enjoy doing this I could see them wanting to do a 3D DK game or a new Wario Land.

The ideal scenario for me is that Nintendo have the development resources for their studios to handle a couple of full games at a time. But let's not pretend that's easy, given those games are also going to become more demanding and resource intensive to make.

In the short to medium term we might see more development cooperation across studios to streamline development. Nintendo suggested that was one reason for buying NLG, after all, and we've seen how Monolith Soft have grown to provide small scale support to EPD in Kyoto as well as larger level support to EPD 3 (Zelda) specifically.

In the short to medium term we might see more development cooperation across studios to streamline development. Nintendo suggested that was one reason for buying NLG, after all, and we've seen how Monolith Soft have grown to provide small scale support to EPD in Kyoto as well as larger level support to EPD 3 (Zelda) specifically.
I genuinely believe that after the acquisition of NLG, they have been assisting Retro is some way with Prime 4.

I genuinely believe that after the acquisition of NLG, they have been assisting Retro is some way with Prime 4.

Not sure what the acquisition has to do with that. They were contractors and worked for Tanabe. Same could have been true without the acquisition.

NCL has hired more than 100 new graduates for two consecutive years.

If I'm not mistaken, number of employees in NCL:

2022: 2,634.
2020: 2,395.
2019: 2,271.
2017: 2,133.
2016: 2009.

The data, as of March 2022, so the acquisition of SRD does not count, which was on April 1 with 143 more employees. 2,747 employees would have NCL now.

If I'm not mistaken, number of employees in NCL:

2022: 2,634.
2020: 2,395.
2019: 2,271.
2017: 2,133.
2016: 2009.

The data, as of March 2022, so the acquisition of SRD does not count, which was on April 1 with 143 more employees. 2,747 employees would have NCL now.

SRD goes into their global consolidated number (6,717) which is different from the NCL non-consolidated (2,634).

SRD goes into their global consolidated number (6,717) which is different from the NCL non-consolidated (2,634).
Honestly I'm half expecting SRD to logically become Nintendo SRD right alongside Nintendo EPD and such down the road, as they made almost everything together already since the NES era. SRD more than earned their place as a team as important to Nintendo's core DNA (yes) as EPD itself.

Honestly I'm half expecting SRD to logically become Nintendo SRD right alongside Nintendo EPD and such down the road, as they made almost everything together already since the NES era. SRD more than earned their place as a team as important to Nintendo's core DNA (yes) as EPD itself.

What would the actual difference be? Seems like a pointless move. Would Monolith become "more Nintendo" if they were renamed "Nintendo Monolith"?

I expect their name is just going to stay as "SRD".

What would the actual difference be? Seems like a pointless move. Would Monolith become "more Nintendo" if they were renamed "Nintendo Monolith"?

I expect their name is just going to stay as "SRD".
Difference being that Monolith only started working with Nintendo with Baten Kaitos Origins. If anything, SRD is Nintendo's oldest partner aside from Ikegami which SRD ore or less replaced after their falling out.

Plus... the name has the same theme as EPD and related departments! :p

Difference being that Monolith only started working with Nintendo with Baten Kaitos Origins. If anything, SRD is Nintendo's oldest partner aside from Ikegami which SRD ore or less replaced after their falling out.

Plus... the name has the same theme as EPD and related departments! :p

That's the difference between SRD and Monolith, not the difference between SRD and "Nintendo SRD". It would be a pointless change. Who cares if it gives them a similar name to internal Nintendo divisions?

Wouldn't it make much more sense to just... dissolve SRD into EPD down the line? Looking at their credits they've helped on all kinds of projects by the Kyoto teams. I don't see the point in keeping them as their separate entity.

Wouldn't it make much more sense to just... dissolve SRD into EPD down the line? Looking at their credits they've helped on all kinds of projects by the Kyoto teams. I don't see the point in keeping them as their separate entity.

Maybe! But on the same hand, couldn't Nintendo have just agreed to hire all of SRD's staff into EPD? Seems they had some reason for wanting to keep them as a distinct subsidiary, even if it was just out of respect for their long relationship with SRD. Or perhaps it was just simpler this way.

A few notes from the Q&A:

• Satoru Shibata promoted to Managing Director
  • Furukawa hinting that Nintendo has further investments in gaming and non-gaming brewing (after discussing Kyoto Development Center No. 2)

Back
Top Bottom