• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Entertainment System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread

Seik

Emulation is the sincerest form of flattery
Pronouns
He/Him
banner-NES.png

Release Date
Japan: July 15th 1983
North America: October 18, 1985
Europe: (Various) 1987

Features

-Single-handedly rejuvenated a crashed & dying console market in North America.
-Introduced the D-Pad we all know today with its controllers.
-Cartridges utilized chips to bring various features to games. (ex: higher capacity, extra sound channels)
-
Have a plethora of accessories, some funky, some barely usable. It also has its own robot-based game!

How can I access the NES library during these modern days?

-Getting an original console and games can still be done for cheap these days, surprisingly, as long as you're not looking for complete copies of the games. However, with the age of the console, maintenance is to be expected, the more time goes by.

-As for the console itself, there are multiple wonderful FPGA solutions out there, when available or out there in the used marked. There is the Retro AVS, which I do have and does a wonderful job of playing NES/Famicom titles in beautiful 720P and it does have four controller ports natively.

AVSbig.png

It also is STILL available to buy, if you wish to get one.

Alternatively there is the Analogue NT Mini which isn't available anymore, but can be bought through external means, for a hefty price that is.
NTMini.png

-The NES Classic Edition comes with a single controller and offers a selection of 30 games, listed below.

nes-classic-edition-box.png

NES-Classic-selection.png

-Nintendo also offers a selection of NES titles via their Nintendo Switch Online paid service. Multiplayer games can be played online with friends. The list below represents the NES game selection as of the date this post was last edited (November 10th, 2021). All info on the link below.

NSO-titles.png

-The still-alive Wii U E-Shop also offers a selection of 94 games for the price of 4,99$(USD) each. You can consult Nintendo's website below to see which games are available.

Show your collection!

Show yours too! :D

PXL-20211110-154650099.jpg

Youtube Section

Here's a beautiful compilation of all these 80's ads!

My Life in Gaming Review.

Review from Game Sack.

Let's buckle it up with a classic CGR Review!

What's your history with the NES? As for myself, it was how it all began, I got it for Christmas when I was 4 years old and it started my life long passion with the video games media. Being able to control what's happening on the TV blew my little mind! :lol

----

Other FamiRetro Threads:

Super Nintendo Entertainment System |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread

Nintendo 64 |ST| Appreciation & Collecting Thread
Retro Gaming on Switch |ST| True Preservation
Emulation Discussion Thread |ST| Reliving our Favorites through Software, Hardware, and FPGA!

Last edited:
The greatest video game console of all time. A very big reason why I still play video games at 39 is the nostalgia I have for the NES and the joy it has brought me throughout my life. The Legend of Zelda is my favorite game of all time and Zelda II, Super Mario Bros. 3, and Mega Man 2 are all in my personal top 10. I don't collect for the system and am perfectly fine just playing the games via my NES Classic and Nintendo Switch.

I love this thread and the NES. About the features section, I think it's important to note that the crashed market wasn't all of video games, it was just consoles and just in NA. The Intellivision also had a d-pad before Nintendo. And lots of Atari 2600 games had enhancement chips.

I love this thread and the NES. About the features section, I think it's important to note that the crashed market wasn't all of video games, it was just consoles and just in NA. The Intellivision also had a d-pad before Nintendo. And lots of Atari 2600 games had enhancement chips.
Hey thanks! I adjusted everything accordingly. Except for the Intellivision's D-Pad because I'd argue that it wasn't a D-Pad per definition, that is if we're both talking about that circle-shaped thing on the controller. :p

I'm a lot less knowledgeable with anything older than the NES, so your corrections are appreciated.

Last edited:
Great thread! Very well done. I was 6 when we got our NES. We had the Mario and Duck Hunt cart, and my uncle bought me Ice Hockey to go with it. He bought it for him to play with me, but jokes on him I liked it more then he did. I didn't have a lot of games for it because I was so young and I had to get games as gifts, but Contra, Ice Hockey and Gun Smoke saw the most play time from me. My favorite NES game though is Super Dodge Ball. My sister and I used to stay up until 1 or 2 in the morning and we would be laughing our assess off the whole time.

I wish I was a little bit older when it came out as I didn't keep any of the game boxes, but I had a great time with this thing. I wanted to point out some other games I liked that might not be super popular in case someone gets a chance to try them out.
Super Spike V-ball. This was a fantastic volleyball game and it got pretty hard when you get to the championship. Lots of fun though, and when you hit the power spike and sent someone flat on their booty, it felt sooooo good.
Hoops. This was a pretty fun basketball game with 1v1 or 2v2. The controls were kind of hard to get used to at first, but once you did I'd say it was one of the better basketball games on the system. There were characters of all sizes too so it had a wee bit of strategy as well.
Side Pocket. This was a great game of pool. I always thought the physics were pretty good back then, and I found this game to be super relaxing as well. Some of the computer challengers were tough as hell though. Still, this is another fun game to check out if you can.

Thanks for the memory lane trip Seik! And also for promoting Game Sack. #BringbackDave.

Back
Top Bottom