• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
A Western-based Rune Factory, eh?
I think they just mean traditional European fantasy inspiration not too different from the older titles in contrast to Project Dragon having the cherry blossoms and Torii gates.

But yea, Project Dragon looked good to me. Haven't played Rune Factory since the DS era, but this caught my eye. Otherwise, the Marvelous show was kind of weird, mostly just showing concept art and giving a one-word theme for each game. The concept art for that 'Life RPG' gave me Chrono Cross vibes.

Last edited:
TotK DLC I’ll keep saying I want a separate campaign like Torna/FR.

Slapping stuff in the world like TCB will be even more underwhelming with those new standards, and TOTK’s world is already jam packed
As much as I want this, I got a feeling that it’s extremely unlikely especially since it’s even easier for them to incorporate new things in this world than it was in BotW. But this is probably not the right thread for it lol.

I mostly just want a good Master Mode 😭

As much as I want this, I got a feeling that it’s extremely unlikely especially since it’s even easier for them to incorporate new things in this world than it was in BotW. But this is probably not the right thread for it lol.

I mostly just want a good Master Mode 😭
The one thing I think would be cool to do is that it could reasonably be supported by in game lore to have a new giant sky island or something. Like, link does something that makes it descend from the heavens, idk. THAT would be fine. They can just add it and don’t have to fuck up the existing landscape to make a new overworld section.

But peppering the existing world with new shrines and a dungeon like they did with BotW (and the dungeon, as great as it was, didn’t even have an outer design. You’re just warped into it and it felt super inorganic without a sense of place)… yeah, I’d play it? It’d probably be great and exquisitely designed, but it’s just not as exciting conceptually.

But on another TOTK DLC note, sharing Ultrahand creations is a no brainer, as many have said. It’d literally just be adding an online category to Autobuild at the bare minimum lol. Though as much as it’d get complaints, I’d also understand if they don’t want people who haven’t finished the main story to have that feature though, as to not disrupt the single player experience. Maybe it could be gated.

I was kinda feared that Marvelous having their own event due to a lack of Direct next month, but now I'm relieved that it was all teasers with just a tiny bit of actual trailers. Great announcements but nothing Direct worthy. Even that Fashion Dreamers didn't get a date.

Nintendo have said they have more games planned for this year so no concern there, you would imagine they would need to show them off sooner than September as well (Unless they feel they are just Twitter drop worthy)

It could also depend on 3rd parties, if support that side is drying up then they might feel they don’t have enough content to put a Direct together?

Nintendo have said they have more games planned for this year so no concern there, you would imagine they would need to show them off sooner than September as well (Unless they feel they are just Twitter drop worthy)

It could also depend on 3rd parties, if support that side is drying up then they might feel they don’t have enough content to put a Direct together?
Talking about Third Party, have already passed like 3 years or so since Square confirmed a new Mana game in dev, that will for sure be announced in a Nintendo direct, i dont rember when the new Saga in dev was confirmed

I was kinda feared that Marvelous having their own event due to a lack of Direct next month, but now I'm relieved that it was all teasers with just a tiny bit of actual trailers. Great announcements but nothing Direct worthy. Even that Fashion Dreamers didn't get a date.
I think the Rune Factory game would have been cool to see in a Direct. Might have changed people’s opinions after people bemoaned too many farming games previously.

Feel pretty good Daemon X Machina 2 will show up in a Direct.

I wonder how many more big third party games we can expect on OG Switch, I can’t see us getting much more from Capcom/Square, possibly we get that MGS Collection? Other than that I don’t think we will get much from many western devs either expect maybe Embracer group teams.

I wonder how many more big third party games we can expect on OG Switch, I can’t see us getting much more from Capcom/Square, possibly we get that MGS Collection? Other than that I don’t think we will get much from many western devs either expect maybe Embracer group teams.
DQ III 2DHD or DQX offline count for me. The new Professor Layton game too.

I can’t see us getting a new Monster Hunter or anything though, and we still don’t know about DQXII.

Square, Namco and Sega are the ones to watch. Square is hardly done with the system, I expect some heavy hitters are waiting to be revealed, including new entries in Saga and Mana series and even more Asano titles. Asano does not need a stronger hardware anyway.

Sega should have more surprises like Samba but the real bombs will be dropped by Atlus, specifically from VanillaWare. Namco should do more late ports, starting with One Piece Odyssey. Digimon team teased new things earlier this year too.

Capcom is probably done with the system. I wouldn't expect anything from them other than more Rom dumps collection.

Depending on your definition of big, I do think we’ll see more Square Enix games especially. They pumped out so many games last year I just don’t expect them to abandon the system anytime soon especially if Switch 2 is backwards compatible. I wouldn’t be surprised to see a few more Capcom games sneak on there personally either. More Ace Attorney and Mega Man seem likely.

Capcom can release AA7 very late in to Switch lifespan

Oh and also Megaman have clearly something, also the interesting detail to the drawer of the new Megaman anniversary art, Capcom specifically asked him to use and do some modification on Mega Man X 8 design for the character, that is a major indication that something is finally moving for X

I still want to see the Etrian Odyssey game. It might not be ‘big’ to anyone else but it is to me, and Atlus have a habit of dropping in late on consoles. EO Nexus only came out on 3DS in late 2018 (Japan) and early 2019 (everywhere else).

Capcom can release AA7 very late in to Switch lifespan

Oh and also Megaman have clearly something, also the interesting detail to the drawer of the new Megaman anniversary art, Capcom specifically asked him to use and do some modification on Mega Man X 8 design for the character, that is a major indication that something is finally moving for X
I hope it's GAA3 and not AA7. I don't want anything at SoJ's level of quality. We want Shu back at helm.

Also I'm not that optimistic about Mega Man's future. Last remaining collection to remaster is Legends 1-2-Tron, even that I don't have enough faith in. Capcom is pretty focused on next gen stuff nowadays, who knows when they'd be back to lower budget development. Maybe Rise 2 for the successor.

LEVEL-5 have four games planned to release this year, but none of them have actual release dates yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one gets delayed to next year (Inazuma Eleven and/or Megaton Musashi) but Fantasy Life i and Decapolice seem like locks and were both revealed in the last direct.

I hope it's GAA3 and not AA7. I don't want anything at SoJ's level of quality. We want Shu back at helm.

Also I'm not that optimistic about Mega Man's future. Last remaining collection to remaster is Legends 1-2-Tron, even that I don't have enough faith in. Capcom is pretty focused on next gen stuff nowadays, who knows when they'd be back to lower budget development. Maybe Rise 2 for the successor.
Well both AA7 and a big budget Mega Man game were leaked nearly three years ago, so we’re getting them

LEVEL-5 have four games planned to release this year, but none of them have actual release dates yet.

I wouldn't be surprised if at least one gets delayed to next year (Inazuma Eleven and/or Megaton Musashi) but Fantasy Life i and Decapolice seem like locks and were both revealed in the last direct.
I'm friends with perhaps the biggest Inazuma Eleven fan on the European continent and his patience for the new game (which was announced in 2016 I think) is basically on life support so if a delay happens, god knows what will become of him

Well both AA7 and a big budget Mega Man game were leaked nearly three years ago, so we’re getting them
Weren't they leaked to be 2022 games? I guess things have changed since then. Same leak had Final Fight and Power Stone reboots targeted for 2024, let's see if they're still on track.

AA6 was great.

AA6 was great.
I disagree. It still is the worst one in the series for me.
I'm not even talking about that awfully created Khura'in lore and its equally uninteresting mechanics. That silly magician case retconned the great finale in AA4 AND it was one of the worst cases in series entire history. All of the case was nonsensical from start to finish. Swords and puppets, ugh. You can feel the drop in quality in cases when Shu Takumi isn't the one writing them.

I disagree. It still is the worst one in the series for me.
I'm not even talking about that awfully created Khura'in lore and its equally uninteresting mechanics. That silly magician case retconned the great finale in AA4 AND it was one of the worst cases in series entire history. All of the case was nonsensical from start to finish. Swords and puppets, ugh. You can feel the drop in quality in cases when Shu Takumi isn't the one writing them.
The non-Shu Takumi games are some of the best in the series: AAI2 is wildly praised as the best game next to AA3, and AA6 is (consensus-wise) considered a very strong entries as well. It's not like Shu Takumi has some perfect track record either; AA2, AA4, and GAA1 are all considered weaker entry by the fans. There wasn't a sudden drop-off in quality after Takumi left, especially considered his last mainline game was AA4 lol. There's been good and bad games both with him and without him.

The Khura'in lore and mechanics are literally just an extension of spirit channeling. If you liked that aspect of AA1-3 it's fine.

6-2 doesn't retcon the Gramarye plot at all. It literally just introduced a new character and expanded on everything. Hell, the game even ends with a post-credits yeasted about Thalassa's revealing her identity to Apollo/Truck, that's the most amount of plot movement that's happened in AA4

Last edited:
Nintendo fans: We don't know anything after July!

Meanwhile,

spiderman.jpg

The non-Shu Takumi games are some of the best in the series: AAI2 is wildly praised as the best game next to AA3, and AA6 is (consensus-wise) considered a very strong entry as well. It's not like Shu Takumi has some perfect track record either; AA2, AA4, and GAA1 are all considered weaker entry by the fans. There wasn't a sudden drop-off in quality after Takumi left, especially considered his last mainline game was AA4 lol. There's been good and bad games both with him and without him.

The Khura'in lore and mechanics are literally just an extension of spirit channeling. If you liked that aspect of AA1-3 it's fine.

6-2 doesn't retcon the Gramarye plot at all. It literally just introduced a new character and expanded on everything. Hell, the game even ends with a post-credits yeasted about Thalassa's revealing her identity to Apollo/Truck, that's the most amount of plot movement that's happened in AA4
Well, I guess I'm not one of those fans. I actually liked AA4. More than 3DS entries.
yeah, introduction of another revenge seeking character to that troupe did not sit well with me. Too many grudges. They should have left that storyline there, AA4 closed that nicely. For Khura'in flashback gimmicks, I still feel it's the worst one, even worse than Apollo's tick spotting mini game. I'm hoping they'd go back to basics in the next game, no more smileys or mind readings.

The one thing I think would be cool to do is that it could reasonably be supported by in game lore to have a new giant sky island or something. Like, link does something that makes it descend from the heavens, idk. THAT would be fine. They can just add it and don’t have to fuck up the existing landscape to make a new overworld section.

But peppering the existing world with new shrines and a dungeon like they did with BotW (and the dungeon, as great as it was, didn’t even have an outer design. You’re just warped into it and it felt super inorganic without a sense of place)… yeah, I’d play it? It’d probably be great and exquisitely designed, but it’s just not as exciting conceptually.

But on another TOTK DLC note, sharing Ultrahand creations is a no brainer, as many have said. It’d literally just be adding an online category to Autobuild at the bare minimum lol. Though as much as it’d get complaints, I’d also understand if they don’t want people who haven’t finished the main story to have that feature though, as to not disrupt the single player experience. Maybe it could be gated.

I can see Zelda DLC being bigger than what they made for BOTW simply because the team spend a lot of time on the engine and systems and with the next 3D Zelda probably years and years away, they would want to reuse what they made to make a bigger DLC to help tie people over. With that said, I don't think we'll see a Xenoblade-like DLC which are essentially new games with revamped gameplay systems, new casts, and even new time periods. I think any Zelda DLC will be placed within the existing map simply because I think the goal for Zelda is to have everything interconnected. They want you to be able to get to any new location from the existing game world and bring your items, armors, etc. between them. Not saying any potential DLC will be small. Just that it won't be an entirely different game that you select from a menu like it is in the Xenoblade DLCs.

If i rember well Capcom did not said something like "the Ace Attorney is serie have surpasse all expactations" or something like, i rember they said something very positive

In the time since then the series director for the more recent AA games left the company, so it's almost assured that whatever version of AA7 they were working on was either heavily delayed, rebooted, or scrapped entirely.

As far as Megamam, I don't think there was any indication of what the supposed title was, how big of a game it would be, etc. It was intended to be out a year or two ago as well, so who knows what happens with it.

As far as Megamam, I don't think there was any indication of what the supposed title was, how big of a game it would be, etc. It was intended to be out a year or two ago as well, so who knows what happens with it.
When it comes to Mega Man, the easiest thing to say is that Capcom had to slide down a LOT of their original plans, thanks to Covid. Case in point, the MMBN Collection, as well as the 20th anniversary event for BN as a whole, just wrapped up recently, when it was originally slated to kick off two years ago. If Covid complicated matters for the release of a collection of ports and the hoopla around that, it comes as no surprise to me that "Taisen", among possibly other things, also likely had to get pushed back.

As for whatever Taisen is? My guess is it's probably going to be something with a multiplayer-oriented slant. What little we got from the leaks, as well as what Protodude has been hinted at, is that it's that it's the most amount of money that Capcom has sunk in MM since...ever, and they want it to be the next major "face" of the brand going forward. Granted, that still puts it more at the higher end of the "mid-tier" range than anything else, but suffice to say, I doubt Capcom would invest that kind of money into a standard run-n-gun platformer. Much less one that's supposed to not only have the original game released, but also some type of "major expansion" a year later (think along the lines of what SF and MH get).

At best, what I hope is that if this new "flagship" MM game does quite well for itself, then much like how MMBN was bringing the bacon in the early 00s, it spells good fortune for the rest of the brand's health on the same token.

Both Mega Man 11 and BN sold a lot for their expectations

Honestly Batte Network, considering also the multimedia success off, can probably make a return and be the new face of Mega Man

Give us the next one nintendo. I need to play as a Mii with a snifter of cognac and some sultry jazz quartet playing in the background of a dimly lit lounge.

Both Mega Man 11 and BN sold a lot for their expectations

Honestly Batte Network, considering also the multimedia success off, can probably make a return and be the new face of Mega Man
BN is/was slated to get some type of mobile game, at the very least. It makes sense, considering how well TCGs translate to the F2P mobile space (see: Yu-gi-oh), but a part of me still hopes that someone goes back to that "Star Force 4" concept...

Nintendoes what Sega did. I've been phasing through walls in Sonic games since the beginning and now Tears of the Kingdom has it. Coincidence?!

Forgot analog and rumble and VR!
What do you mean, Nintendo never did VR 👀

I like how this implies Mario Kart Wii was the first Mario Kart.
Yeah they fudged a bit on that one but I assume they were looking for a screenshot from a MK that looked somewhat comparable to the one they were showing with Sackboy there. Otherwise yeah, SNES ftw

I do wish Konami would localise Momotetsu. It’s one of the best hidden gems on Switch.

It’s Japan exclusive atm, but tremendously successful there. Sold over 3.5M copies!

I bought it myself from PlayAsia last year, and I’m loving it. It’s essentially a very chaotic party game, and it has those old school Hudson Soft vibes. In fact, some ex-Hudson Soft devs worked on this game.

In the February Direct a sequel was announced, but that too is Japan exclusive.(for now.)

Last edited:
2 of astral chains 3 directors are Nintendo employees and a lot of it's design elements were at the suggestion of nintendo. its a collaborative creation so it definitely should count
Of course Nintendo is heavily involved in a game it publishes, that's normal and that's great. But the franchise still feels deeply Platinium, in my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom