• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
@Dardan Sandiego had a comment in the Playstation showcase thread about how platformer holders haven't put on entertaining shows in a while and I know a lot of people share a similar sentiment about how they miss the skits from previous Directs. I think the main reason why people fondly remember those old Directs is because of two reasons, Iwata and Reggie and they are also the reason why presentations aren't like they used to be. Most people at game companies are simply not entertainers or even good presenters. They are there to make the games. But with Iwata and Reggie, you had a rare combination of people who did enjoy interacting with the public and putting on these shows. It helped the Iwata was also fluent in English so he could speak to global audiences without a translator. Without those two at the top pushing for those quirky presentations, there's going to be less of a drive to do them.

For people like us, the time between Directs can feel like an eternity. But for people making them, I'm sure it feels like the come around a quicker than expected. I'm sure anyone who has had constant work deadlines knows how that feels. Putting on a Direct or any type of presentation is a lot of work. And this is on top of your regular duties as a game developer or corporate leader. It also takes a certain mindset to want to do these presentations constantly. For those old Directs, you have to have a bit of mindset of being ok with looking like a fool or people making memes about you. For most people, I don't think that is something they are willing to do.

That's not to say that Nintendo people don't like interacting with the fans. We still have things like Sakurai presents or the recent TotK presentation with Aonuma. Miyamoto used to do those roundtables at E3. But that's a different style of presentation. Less of a show and more a casual conversations with the audience. Those are still great but probably not the best format to throw into the middle of Nintendo Directs where people are expecting announcement after announcement.

So unless you see more Iwata or Reggie like figures at the top of Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony, I doubt we'll see presentations made for the purposes of entertaining people (along with making game announcements). Maybe Phil Spencer is the closest we have now but he has yet to make a skit of himself fighting a colleague in Killer Instinct so we'll see.
Well said, and I hope people reading the next page take the time to read your comment in full

@Dardan Sandiego had a comment in the Playstation showcase thread about how platformer holders haven't put on entertaining shows in a while and I know a lot of people share a similar sentiment about how they miss the skits from previous Directs. I think the main reason why people fondly remember those old Directs is because of two reasons, Iwata and Reggie and they are also the reason why presentations aren't like they used to be. Most people at game companies are simply not entertainers or even good presenters. They are there to make the games. But with Iwata and Reggie, you had a rare combination of people who did enjoy interacting with the public and putting on these shows. It helped the Iwata was also fluent in English so he could speak to global audiences without a translator. Without those two at the top pushing for those quirky presentations, there's going to be less of a drive to do them.

For people like us, the time between Directs can feel like an eternity. But for people making them, I'm sure it feels like the come around a quicker than expected. I'm sure anyone who has had constant work deadlines knows how that feels. Putting on a Direct or any type of presentation is a lot of work. And this is on top of your regular duties as a game developer or corporate leader. It also takes a certain mindset to want to do these presentations constantly. For those old Directs, you have to have a bit of mindset of being ok with looking like a fool or people making memes about you. For most people, I don't think that is something they are willing to do.

That's not to say that Nintendo people don't like interacting with the fans. We still have things like Sakurai presents or the recent TotK presentation with Aonuma. Miyamoto used to do those roundtables at E3. But that's a different style of presentation. Less of a show and more a casual conversations with the audience. Those are still great but probably not the best format to throw into the middle of Nintendo Directs where people are expecting announcement after announcement.

So unless you see more Iwata or Reggie like figures at the top of Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony, I doubt we'll see presentations made for the purposes of entertaining people (along with making game announcements). Maybe Phil Spencer is the closest we have now but he has yet to make a skit of himself fighting a colleague in Killer Instinct so we'll see.
Some of it is this, some of it is just the presentations not having great flow or a sense of identity to it. Like the Playstation Showcase yesterday had no real rhyme or reason to when it showed certain types of games versus others, it jumped around between Indie, GAAS, AAA game, and so on constantly. And those weird transitions that are just... mediocre music with random weird lighting and the Playstation controller buttons don't do anything for me.

A better sense of structure, maybe with more of an overlay and narration or something, helps a lot. And having at least a BIT of showmanship, like Koizumi coming out with the Cappy hat or something like that, along with having a good "one more thing", and so on. A lot of that kind of thing, and good pacing, really helps to make a better presentation. (and Nintendo hasn't always been great about it lately, either)

Some of it is this, some of it is just the presentations not having great flow or a sense of identity to it. Like the Playstation Showcase yesterday had no real rhyme or reason to when it showed certain types of games versus others, it jumped around between Indie, GAAS, AAA game, and so on constantly. And those weird transitions that are just... mediocre music with random weird lighting and the Playstation controller buttons don't do anything for me.

A better sense of structure, maybe with more of an overlay and narration or something, helps a lot. And having at least a BIT of showmanship, like Koizumi coming out with the Cappy hat or something like that, along with having a good "one more thing", and so on. A lot of that kind of thing, and good pacing, really helps to make a better presentation. (and Nintendo hasn't always been great about it lately, either)
Nintendo are like master class as presentation pacing compared to Sony over the past several years.

Nintendo Directs are still entertaining because Nintendo knows how to pace them properly and don't go overboard trying to make it "cool". Playstation had no rhythm, and between every segment they did that pretentious light show that lasted for like 5-10 seconds each time.

I'd love more skits and stuff like that, but if we are stuck with what we have, I'd much prefer Nintendo or even Xbox's styles over Playstation.

Nothing like a dozen farming JRPGs to perfect the pacing of a gaming presentation.
Nothing like a good hyperbole to perfect the derail of a gaming thread.

In a direct of over 40 games (50 if you count the nso titles), 5 of them were farming sims, and only 4 of them were the hybrid action rpg/farming sim. There were basically as many strategy rpgs shown off, but that's an "acceptable genre" so it doesn't get meme'd on.

I know this is not the proper vibe for this thread, for which I apologize in advance, but Zelda has me so hooked right now that if you told me the next Direct would only happen in September, I wouldn't feel anything at all.

But when I am done with TotK, you'd better bet I will be here screaming for Outer Wilds, Silksong, Mario, and Donkey Kong.

Nothing like a good hyperbole to perfect the derail of a gaming thread.

In a direct of over 40 games (50 if you count the nso titles), 5 of them were farming sims, and only 4 of them were the hybrid action rpg/farming sim. There were basically as many strategy rpgs shown off, but that's an "acceptable genre" so it doesn't get meme'd on.
Man I wish there were as many farming JRPGs coming out as people who continually complain about the farming JRPG Direct claim there are
Just saying it made for a very odd pace, along with Nintendo's own new announcements being rather barren that direct. I think directs are usually very well paced. Only bigger offenses that come to mind off the top of my head are that and the one time Xenoblade 2 had the old man talking for like 10 minutes or whatever.

It's not always their fault either, though. They don't get to choose what 3rd party devs are working on. Something that similarly comes to mind last year is SGF when I believe it had a lot of space horror games and made the pacing of that show drag a bit.

That aside, my mentality with this thing is people usually mistake a long line of games they aren't interested in during a presentation for being badly paced, whether it be Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, a Geoff show, etc. I don't think any of these guys have had a lot of badly paced presentations lately.

Last edited:
I know this is not the proper vibe for this thread, for which I apologize in advance, but Zelda has me so hooked right now that if you told me the next Direct would only happen in September, I wouldn't feel anything at all.

But when I am done with TotK, you'd better bet I will be here screaming for Outer Wilds, Silksong, Mario, and Donkey Kong.
Honestly Nintendo can easily coast off Zelda, mk8 dlc, and pikmin until September keeping the bigger reveals held off until the next system reveal

When was the last time Nintendo announced a new IP on a Nintendo Direct? Astral Chain? And I don’t even know if it matters, even though it seems to belong to Nintendo, it’s a Platinum creation.

Apart from 1.2 switches and Arms, at the very beginning of the console life cycle, the Switch was disappointing in this regard. And even in recent years, Nintendo has explained that it wants to develop new licenses. Where are they?
2 of astral chains 3 directors are Nintendo employees and a lot of it's design elements were at the suggestion of nintendo. its a collaborative creation so it definitely should count

Last edited:
I missed the discussion around it, why is Fire Emblem Genealogy the one being allegedly remade?
There were two posts on Reddit last summer regarding Engage leaks. One of which linked to the original leak here on Famiboards, but the very next day there was another post showing screenshots of a Chinese build of Engage that leaked. Not only were both leaks proven true when Engage was officially revealed in September (and also the subsequent release in January), but in both posts there were comments by the OPs of each thread of "Oh, btw, Genealogy remake is real."

That being said the OP also said that Gust helped a lot with the development of Engage (which we have no evidence of), so take that as you will.

Last edited:
Metroid Prime 4 won't release in 2023 because Nintendo realizes that releasing Tears of the Kingdom and Metroid Prime 4 within six months of each other would make them too powerful.

My current theory is that Nintendo will have a Switch 2 reveal early next year, so they are combining the June and September Directs into one August event.

With Nintendo and Sony playing a game of chicken not telling us wtf most of their devs are working on, this really is Xbox's chance to show up and have a spotlight on them in a good way in June.

With Nintendo and Sony playing a game of chicken not telling us wtf most of their devs are working on, this really is Xbox's chance to show up and have a spotlight on them in a good way in June.
I really hope that XBOX is getting somewhere. It's much better for the industry when they keep doing well.

Since it's almost June and there has still been no indication of there being a June Direct I'm instead going to predict what Nintendo is doing for their September Direct:

• F Zero, either a GX remaster or Nintendo decided to greenlight Goddard's F Zero project.
  • Zelda WW+TP HD remaster
  • Preview of a couple of Wave 6 booster course pass tracks
  • Price Drop on the switch. OLED drops to $300, Regular drops to $260, Lite drops to $170

This is why I thought we should have waited till June before opening this thread. No one expected Nintendo to do anything in May other than release Zelda. It's going exactly how everyone thought it was going to go and because of that, people are less certain that Nintendo will show anything over the summer.

Well saw the showcase lots of dilgently in development games, RF spinoff looked good, RF 6 announced set in Adonea. New SOS multiplayer? Hope there's single player option. Games probably wont release for awile. Project life is rpg had nice logo- possible female protagonist?

FxAe87maEAAP0KB

A Western-based Rune Factory, eh?

DxM sequel should have much higher budget than the first one if they want to have a higher quality title.

Nintendo Direct fans, the first trailer for the farming game only teased with a logo at the infamous Farm Direct dropped earlier today. Looks pretty cool!

I feel like people don't realize devs/publishers pay Nintendo to be featured in a direct and farming Sims, especially in Japan, is a popular genre. It's not like these games are extremely niche or Nintendo is trying to piss you off. I don't know whether it's just a meme or people are really this salty over something that's clearly not important. Don't like them, don't play them. And if it is a meme find a funnier meme already it's gotten old.

All I really want out of a hypothetical June Direct is Tears of the Kingdom DLC, a release date for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Booster Course Pass Wave 5, a new trailer for Pikmin 4, and some interesting indie games. That's it. I don't even need new first party games right now lol

I’d take a mini with Paper Mario TTYD HD, FZero GX Deluxe HD and Donkey Konga collection
Highkey a Gamecube port direct would have me super hyped. Toss in a "WW+TP coming next year!" with the aforementioned titles and I'd be pleased (as long as the roll continued with Pikmin 1+2, Luigi's Man's, Chibi-Robo, and motherfucking Custom. Robo.)

TotK DLC I’ll keep saying I want a separate campaign like Torna/FR.

Slapping stuff in the world like TCB will be even more underwhelming with those new standards, and TOTK’s world is already jam packed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom