• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST5| Uncharted Territory: Drake's Deception

When is the next general full-length Direct?

• June

Votes: 130 38.0%
  • July

Votes: 40 11.7%
  • August

Votes: 15 4.4%
  • September

Votes: 129 37.7%
  • October

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • November

• December

• January

Votes: 13 3.8%
  • February

• Never

Votes: 11 3.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
please for the love of god BE A DIRECT SOON I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

I cannot take this anymore
Saying everything I've said before
All these words, they make no sense
I find bliss in ignorance
Less I hear, the less you say
You'll find that out anyway
Just like before
Everything you say to me
(Takes me one step closer to the edge)
(And I'm about to break)
I need a little room to breathe
('Cause I'm one step closer to the edge)
(I'm about to break

please for the love of god BE A DIRECT SOON I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE

pointing-leonardo-di-caprio.gif

I wonder where Castlevania is at? Maybe Nintendo got it after all.

Edit

Oh wait forgot about SGF. It will probably be there.
If there’s one gaming company Geoff won’t kiss ass for, it’s Konami lol. They slighted his bff, I would not expect him to try and get stuff

He was tweeting all about the PS Showcase today and didn’t even mention MGS3.

MGS collection is totally going to show up in a direct. general or partner
Same, and not only that but I have the feeling that maybe in the same direct there will be the annuncment of a remaster of Twin Snake only for Switch, similar ti the Baten Kaitos remasters

Jury's out on how MS' event in June will be, but if it's on the level of Sony's "This is Phase 2 of PS5" showcase yesterday, it could happen that this will once again be the most apt gif to describe the situation:

MeanFatCommongonolek-max-1mb.gif

Joke aside, given Nintendo rarely cares about other companies marketing and isn't being influenced by that, i still hope they have something soon.

They "promised" a steady software flow for Switch this FY, so please start talking about it before Pikmin launches and the markets tearing your stock value a second butthole for basically not having any dated software announced.

Can't wait for the week of June 12th-16th when everyone constantly refreshes Nintendo's Twitter only to find more Tears of the Kingdom tweets. Maybe sprinkle in some Pikmin 4 reminders here and there.

Only half serious. Like, I could see that happening, but it really shouldn't. The specific week I mentioned isn't so important, but getting us the H2 info soon is. Maybe the switch successor is on the horizon, but they still don't want people to be talking about how they have no H2 games dated... right? I feel like the conversation will transition to that as we get further away from Zelda, and that should be something they want to avoid.

Despite a rough showing from Sony yesterday, my personal thirst for a Direct isn’t too strong just yet. I’m 70+ hours into Zelda and I’m not completely sure if I’m halfway done or not with everything I ultimately want to do in the game. This paired with my expectation the next two upcoming weeks will not feature a Direct has me conserving my hype.

But it is building nonetheless. Despite most of my gaming time going into Zelda, I still play Mario Kart 8 nearly every day and my hunger for Wave 5 is rapidly increasing as June approaches (Koopa Cape!!). I also really want to see both Metroid Prime 4 and 2D Mario.

The thing is, some people ask us: Why are you doing this? Why are you speculating again? For the same reason I had a breakfast today, I had breakfast yesterday. Why I am still sleeping? I slept 5 months ago and I was sleeping a day ago too. Direct speculation is part of my life, it's that simple. Nothing will ever change until I die.

Yeah after yesterday they can really wait for september

Also maybe there is another way to do it, a Mario event with a teh new 2D Mario?

I mean it would resolve the holiday game, it will give something to bring at Gamescom, and investiors will probably happy to have a potential 20+ game that will take advantage of the movie

And all the rest in Septmeber direct

I just came on this thread for the first time and I'm surprised to see that people really need a new Direct.

I didn't even think we could expect a new Direct for the Switch era.

The thing is, some people ask us: Why are you doing this? Why are you speculating again? For the same reason I had a breakfast today, I had breakfast yesterday. Why I am still sleeping? I slept 5 months ago and I was sleeping a day ago too. Direct speculation is part of my life, it's that simple. Nothing will ever change until I die.
- Camus, on the subject of Nintendo Directs (1943)

Even if I feel that we will not get a June General Direct... I'd love to be deep inside the wild speculation spiral, so let's pretend it's already been teased by leakers.

This are the things I am want/expect to see:

-Zelda DLC. I expect some smaller DLCs like BotW had, with new items, hard mode, new quests,... but not a full expansion with new map.
-Gamecube ports. It's too soon for Zelda, but Paper Mario, F-Zero or Prime 2 are good candidates.
-NSO games
-2D Mario? I don't even know if it's a thing, but it should be a departure from the New Super Mario formula.
-Here is a hot take: Captain Toad 2. Since he's a character in the Mario movie, that could bring more people into the franchise. An evolution of the concept, a more ambitious game.
-Metroid Prime 4. Just a small tease, coming 2024.
- A few AA whacky first party games. I think the Switch is in an interesting position after Zelda TotK. No one expects (or wants) big games for the console anymore, since those are going to the next gen console. Now we could see some smaller but really original games for the Switch, something like their portable consoles always had.

Despite a rough showing from Sony yesterday, my personal thirst for a Direct isn’t too strong just yet. I’m 70+ hours into Zelda and I’m not completely sure if I’m halfway done or not with everything I ultimately want to do in the game. This paired with my expectation the next two upcoming weeks will not feature a Direct has me conserving my hype.

But it is building nonetheless. Despite most of my gaming time going into Zelda, I still play Mario Kart 8 nearly every day and my hunger for Wave 5 is rapidly increasing as June approaches (Koopa Cape!!). I also really want to see both Metroid Prime 4 and 2D Mario.
I don’t get the idea that Sony would have any effect on their directs. Not only is it a different audience mostly, but the switch is in a different position than ps5. What is ready to show and what do partners have to show is a much bigger concern. They need to prepare for the next system and keep momentum on switch, which is incredibly hard.

Whenever it comes, I too am hoping for some new (smaller) stuff. Or some long forgotten IP making a comeback.

I don’t get the idea that Sony would have any effect on their directs. Not only is it a different audience mostly, but the switch is in a different position than ps5. What is ready to show and what do partners have to show is a much bigger concern. They need to prepare for the next system and keep momentum on switch, which is incredibly hard.

Whenever it comes, I too am hoping for some new (smaller) stuff. Or some long forgotten IP making a comeback.
This. And even if they did look at Sony, now would be the time to bring out more big guns. If your opponent slows down, you don't slow down with them, you crush them.

Oh, that’s not what I was getting at by mentioning PlayStation. My enthusiasm for a video game announcement show wasn’t fulfilled well yesterday, so I could have been looking more forward to a Nintendo Direct I believe could be better, but I explained why that was not the case exactly.

Incidentally, I don’t believe any plans would be shuffled for a hypothetical June Direct because of what PlayStation did today or not either.

Some of you rely on such bizarre rationale for direct speculation:

• I'm still playing Zelda
  • I'll be fine with Pikmin 4
  • Sony's presentation was mid
  • E3 was cancelled

Nintendo has unannounced games coming out later this year. They need to announce those games. Billions of dollars in revenue count on these games being announced and coming out at this right time. A lot of these other elements are irrelevant.

It wouldnt take much for Nintendo to top that playstation show case, so at least the events season has started with a low bar lol

This tweet from Chris Dring just feels so strange in hindsight to me after that PlayStation conference.
Dring's mindset is focused solely on sales, hence Pikmin 3 isn't a major title since it'll "only" see 1-3 million copies. There's a chance one of those gaas titles from yesterday could end up making more money then the half of the showcase combined.

It begins anew

"Time to chronicle some xenoblades!" -Shulk

I thought it was really cool how if Melia is in your party when he says that in the Definitive Edition she'll say "definitively" afterwards and wink at the camera.

It's not fair since I have a brand new Zelda game in hand.

But god damn am I antsy to see our favorite plumber in a new game again.

When was the last time Nintendo announced a new IP on a Nintendo Direct? Astral Chain? And I don’t even know if it matters, even though it seems to belong to Nintendo, it’s a Platinum creation.

Apart from 1.2 switches and Arms, at the very beginning of the console life cycle, the Switch was disappointing in this regard. And even in recent years, Nintendo has explained that it wants to develop new licenses. Where are they?

When was the last time Nintendo announced a new IP on a Nintendo Direct? Astral Chain? And I don’t even know if it matters, even though it seems to belong to Nintendo, it’s a Platinum creation.

Apart from 1.2 switches and Arms, at the very beginning of the console life cycle, the Switch was disappointing in this regard. And even in recent years, Nintendo has explained that it wants to develop new licenses. Where are they?

The GOAT RPG aka Ring Fit.

The thing is, Nintendo thinks about gameplay systems first and foremost and then they see if a current IP fits them or if it's better to create something new.

Breath of the Wild has almost nothing to do with we understood as Zelda at a core level at the time and it's a bigger departure to the genre and the industry than most new IPs like Horizon, just to name one at the same time and genre as it.

Problem is relating innovation = new IP, when most of the time it is not like that. Most 3D Mario games could be a new IP of their own because how much of a departure they are from the previous entries... but at the end of the day, they have probably the strongest IPs in the industry and they prefer to work for them whenever possible. Only when they dont see them fitting, they go for a new IP: Splatoon, Arms, Ring Fit...

Last edited:

The thing is, Nintendo thinks about systems and then they see if a current IP fits them or if it's better to create something new.

Breath of the Wild has almost nothing to do with we understood as Zelda at a core level at the time and it's a bigger departure to the genre and the industry than most new IPs like Horizon, just to name one at the same time and genre as it.

Problem is relating innovation = new IP, when most of the time it is not like that. Most 3D Mario games could be a new IP of their own because how much of a departure they are from the previous entries...
While that is true, it would be nice to see some new characters introduced into the Nintendo ecosystem. Relying on the same IP also carries the danger of oversaturation, and in the case of Zelda, seeing the same type of stories over and over.
I’d like Nintendo to do something with the more mature IP they have. That side of them was unique too and we haven’t seen that for far too long.

I’d like Nintendo to do something with the more mature IP they have. That side of them was unique too and we haven’t seen that for far too long.

Well, that's just an economic decision if I have to guess. If those IPs had sold enough, you would have more of it like you did with Xenoblade or Fire Emblem. Sadly, they didn't... :sad F-Zero fan noises:

This is about where I'm at. I still have a deluge of games for the next 1-2 months (Zelda, Diablo 4, FF16, Raincode, and more) and we're going to be getting SGF and the Xbox show soon, too, so they'll help with the lack of Nintendo stuff. I don't think my real Direct thirst will kick in until/if we get into July and there hasn't been anything yet.

Even if I feel that we will not get a June General Direct... I'd love to be deep inside the wild speculation spiral, so let's pretend it's already been teased by leakers.

This are the things I am want/expect to see:

-NSO games
I have a hunch (that I desperately hope I'm wrong on) we won't be getting another NSO roadmap like we did last year until 2024 at the earliest.

Last September, Nintendo announced five games (+ GoldenEye) coming to N64 NSO in 2023. Mario Party 3, Pokemon Stadium and Pokemon Stadium 2, 1080° Snowboading and Excitebike 64. We've only gotten GoldenEye (January) and Pokemon Stadium (April) from that list, and we're approaching June with nary a hope to get an N64 update until July if patterns hold true. Gameboy and GBA are now their new golden child, and if they're interspersing updates with games not previous mentioned from their coming soon list (Fire Emblem, Golden Sun, F-Zero: Maximum Velocity, and Kirby & the Amazing Mirror) with a couple of Mario games previously available on NES/SNES counterparts, they'll be comfortably alternating N64 and GBA games as if that's acceptable for a $64/year subscription. They'll just keep puttering along until February 2024 with all their previously announced games for GBA/N64 at the earliest (which means STILL no Super Smash Bros until next year 😒).

NES/SNES I can understand skipping every three months when there's more of the Gameboy library to mine right now, but damn I just want them to get a move on with these N64 updates so we can finally progress further into Gamecube NSO. It should have already happened on Wii U.

It's not fair since I have a brand new Zelda game in hand.

But god damn am I antsy to see our favorite plumber in a new game again.
I'm always antsy for a Mario game. I'm very interested to see where they take it after Odyssey. I have nothing but faith in Koizumi.
While that is true, it would be nice to see some new characters introduced into the Nintendo ecosystem. Relying on the same IP also carries the danger of oversaturation, and in the case of Zelda, seeing the same type of stories over and over.
I don't think they are at risk for oversaturation of the major IPs like Mario and Zelda. I was thinking about Nintendo and how they handle stories and in reality keeping them so simple has worked in their favor compared to many other IPs. They don't need to continue stories from game to game. They don't get caught on what happened before because it does not matter.

Now Splatoon clearly needs a longer dev cycle to differentiate it from the last two games.

The thing is, Nintendo thinks about gameplay systems first and foremost and then they see if a current IP fits them or if it's better to create something new.

Problem is relating innovation = new IP, when most of the time it is not like that. Most 3D Mario games could be a new IP of their own because how much of a departure they are from the previous entries... but at the end of the day, they have probably the strongest IPs in the industry and they prefer to work for them whenever possible. Only when they dont see them fitting, they go for a new IP: Splatoon, Arms, Ring Fit...
Of course, Nintendo doesn’t need new licenses to be innovative and I don’t think anyone believes that.

It was Nintendo themselves that announced their intention to be creative about IP, especially through the voice of Koizumi, who was the producer of the console.

As tout Say, something like Splatoon on Wii U was very innovative from a gameplay point of view while creating a new universe. It brought a gaming experience that didn’t exist. I suppose the exact same can be said for Luigi’s Mansion at the time, for example.

So no I’m not waiting for a new license just to see new faces but because it would bring unexpected things in terms of gameplay

Buddy Mission Bond.

@Dardan Sandiego had a comment in the Playstation showcase thread about how platformer holders haven't put on entertaining shows in a while and I know a lot of people share a similar sentiment about how they miss the skits from previous Directs. I think the main reason why people fondly remember those old Directs is because of two reasons, Iwata and Reggie and they are also the reason why presentations aren't like they used to be. Most people at game companies are simply not entertainers or even good presenters. They are there to make the games. But with Iwata and Reggie, you had a rare combination of people who did enjoy interacting with the public and putting on these shows. It helped the Iwata was also fluent in English so he could speak to global audiences without a translator. Without those two at the top pushing for those quirky presentations, there's going to be less of a drive to do them.

For people like us, the time between Directs can feel like an eternity. But for people making them, I'm sure it feels like the come around a quicker than expected. I'm sure anyone who has had constant work deadlines knows how that feels. Putting on a Direct or any type of presentation is a lot of work. And this is on top of your regular duties as a game developer or corporate leader. It also takes a certain mindset to want to do these presentations constantly. For those old Directs, you have to have a bit of mindset of being ok with looking like a fool or people making memes about you. For most people, I don't think that is something they are willing to do.

That's not to say that Nintendo people don't like interacting with the fans. We still have things like Sakurai presents or the recent TotK presentation with Aonuma. Miyamoto used to do those roundtables at E3. But that's a different style of presentation. Less of a show and more a casual conversations with the audience. Those are still great but probably not the best format to throw into the middle of Nintendo Directs where people are expecting announcement after announcement.

So unless you see more Iwata or Reggie like figures at the top of Nintendo, Microsoft, or Sony, I doubt we'll see presentations made for the purposes of entertaining people (along with making game announcements). Maybe Phil Spencer is the closest we have now but he has yet to make a skit of himself fighting a colleague in Killer Instinct so we'll see.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom