• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST4| Tears of the Speculation

What team are you joining?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Goldeneye announcement is pretty much the final nail in Team January's coffin, btw.

GoldenEye releases this week, Nintendo makes a tweet about DK mode next week, then a new Donkey Kong game is revealed the week after during a Direct. Right?

I would be shocked if anyone was expecting anything before February at this point

at earliest they'd announce on the 31st in some time zones
at worst they might do that thing i think once during the pandemic and once a couple years before and just upload the direct/direct mini with no announcement.. which was really stanky, and plz no, but there's still the 0.0001% chance

Welp, we've finally made it.
* Hidden text: cannot be quoted. *
Hidden content is only available for registered users. Sharing it outside of Famiboards is subject to moderation.

Something interesting Nate Drake brought up to my attention.

uncharted-nathan-drake.gif

Pretty much figured an NSO game would be coming this week. They still, largely speaking, put out a game a month. I would assume the next thing is a direct within the next 3 weeks and then a Pokemon Presents for Pokemon Day at the end of the month. There could be a Zelda thing after the direct depending how Nintendo wants to start marketing for ToTK. Either way Nintendo is finally waking up lol.

February 1st would be a great day for a direct because then (in NA at least) they can be like "100 DaYs TiL TOTK!" and kickstart marketing that way. That, plus the timing of the possible Octopath 2 demo, plus copium....

I just really want the direct soon, ya know? Even if it disappoints and we lament over how we always hype ourselves way up and then we do it all over again in June.

When is the next Nintendo Direct gonna be

takahashidirectgif.gif

In this post I will try to explain to you why and when I think the next Nintendo Direct is gonna be.

Note: This is only my opinion, you are allowed to have your own. It’s called discussion.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let’s start with analysing every single week.

Monday January 30th to Friday February 3rd.

Every single first year‘s General Direct in the Switch era happened after Nintendo released their nine months earnings:

Earnings released on Janaury 31st 2018 – General Direct happened on March 8th 2018
(you can argue that there was a Mini Direct on January 11th, before the earnings but it was just a Mini and full of ports and Aces, it was not a full General Presentation).

Earnings released on January 31st 2019 – General Direct happened on February 13th 2019.

Earnings released on February 1st 2021 – General Direct happened on February 17th 2021.

Earnings released on February 3rd 2022 – General Direct happened on February 9th 2022.

This year earnings are releasing on February 7th 2023 – General Direct will happen after that date.

So we can safely write off the first week from Jan 30th to February 3rd.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Let’s go with the second week, February 6th to February 10th.

As said above, it will be after the earnings so after February 7th. We have then left a February 8th and 9th but more on that later.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

We are now in the third week, February 13th to February 17th.

Some might say that the third week is perfect one, but I don’t think so. Here’s why:

Splatoon 3 new season theory, while good on paper it does not proove much anything.

Splatoon 3 Chill season was announced on November 14th and released 17 days later.
The fact that we only have this one Splatoon pattern to go to can’t give us many details. If Direct would be on this date it will be roughly 14 days from new season announcement to release but as said, we have only one pattern to go from so scratching this too.

What we however have on that week is Super Nintendo World opening in Hollywood on Friday, February 17th. Yes, I know they might don’t care but I could see them promoting heavily that their US version of theme park will open 2-3 days from now rather than doing Direct on that time. But again this is only for the US but that’s still one of their biggest market so.

There is also a Octopath Traveler 2 demo that will surely get announced and released in this Direct. Doing a demo just a one week before this game releases seems weird, they always had the bigger gaps between them.
___________________________________________________________________________________

4th week of February from February 20th to 24th.

Not only is this late as hell, since Zelda is releasing in mid May but it’s also a week of Kirby and Octopath (I know, they are not publishing it this time but the fact that it was revealed first by them gives you a good idea that they will promote it).
_______________________________________________________________________________________

With all this said, there is only one possible date of a Direct.

Second week, after earnings on February 7th.

But it’s gonna be Wednesday 8th or Thursday 9th?

That’s why we have to bring the dates to the table.

April 12th 2017 - Wednesday
September 13th 2017 - Wednesday
March 8th 2018 - Thursday
September 13th 2018 - Thursday
February 13th 2019 - Wednesday
September 4th 2019 - Wednesday
February 17th 2021 - Wednesday
September 23th 2021 - Thursday
February 9th 2022 - Wednesday
September 13th 2022 – Tuesday

miyamotogif1.gif

From 10 Directs during the Switch era, 6 of them were on Wednesday. You know why it is Wednesday in the US most of the time? Because the global data traffic is one of the biggest on Wednesdays. The US market has the biggest viewership, that’s why it was Wednesday most of the time.

Yes, the last one was on Tuesday but that was because it was only last possible date after release of Splatoon and also before the start of TGS.

As you can see every February Direct always happened on Wednesday so I don’t see why it would be changed now.

Announcement on February 7th 23:00 JST for a Direct on Wednesday 8th US, 23:00 CET Europe and morning of February 9th JP.

But you said it will be announced after the earnings!

Yes, earnings are releasing in around 8AM CET on February 7th while the Direct will be announced 7 hours from that.

Or they will announce it on Wednesday 8th for a Direct on Thursday 9th. I don’t know.

There is also the fact that each Direct after the earnings was done week or more after that.
But I don’t know, the Octopath demo just week before the game seems weird. And also does the Super Nintendo World Opening in that week.

The conclusion to the story is that I don’t fucking now. I really don’t. It will be second or third week. Nohing else. Make your own assumptions.

Just kidding.

The fact that they waited till 3rd week of February (17th) 2021 was just because it was after release of 3D World + Bowser’s Fury.

It’s the second week. Either 8th or 9th.

Thank you and goodbye.

gifmiyamotobill.gif
Nah, the gods said it'll be February 1st...

The robot gods that is... 🤖
image.png

/s

February 2nd would be a great day for a Nintendo Direct Mini that announces another crummy Mario spin-off for June and teases a ToTK Direct

Careful out there, the usual suspects are "spreading rumors". Not surprising if we see their "info" on videos soon lol.

Something interesting Nate Drake brought up to my attention.

uncharted-nathan-drake.gif
I see this come up at the halfway point in this song I found in a Spotify playlist called Frenchy's Global Grooves and this is a vibe

Last edited:
I now want to be in an alternate reality where we got a more substantial TotK trailer in the September 2022 direct, but it was to show off the games new, extensive farming system.
Can you imagine if you could plant stuff and they made an npc destroy your farm, and you had to find ways to stop the npc from doing that? That would be awesome.

Hahaha, as for protection of your farm, you could hire Flower Lady 🤣

Either way, within the next three weeks we will have a Direct!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(This week is going to be over soon, so we don't count it)

I'm excited to see Forza so I'll be happy with the Xbox show no matter what.
I'm excited for Forza too, but the fact that - to me - it's the only exciting non-Bethesda (i.e. a game that Microsoft didn't just throw money at to acquire) game here is... telling, to say the least. Microsoft has some serious, serious issues with actually putting out games and this event is only exacerbating that, I feel.

I'm really hoping all the rumored shit we've heard about is just like Engage and is going to finally come out this year. Like Metroid Dread, Xenoblade Chronicles 3, and Fire Emblem Engage were games we heard constantly in the rumor mill before they finally came about.

To finally get Metroid Prime Trilogy (Again, I refuse to believe they're going to just re-release Metroid Prime 1 at $60 cause that's just too depressing), a new 2D Mario, a 3D Donkey Kong game, and anything F-Zero related this year would be oh so good.

When is the next Nintendo Direct gonna be

takahashidirectgif.gif

In this post I will try to explain to you why and when I think the next Nintendo Direct is gonna be.

Note: This is only my opinion, you are allowed to have your own. It’s called discussion.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________
Let’s start with analysing every single week.

Monday January 30th to Friday February 3rd.

Every single first year‘s General Direct in the Switch era happened after Nintendo released their nine months earnings:

Earnings released on Janaury 31st 2018 – General Direct happened on March 8th 2018
(you can argue that there was a Mini Direct on January 11th, before the earnings but it was just a Mini and full of ports and Aces, it was not a full General Presentation).

Earnings released on January 31st 2019 – General Direct happened on February 13th 2019.

Earnings released on February 1st 2021 – General Direct happened on February 17th 2021.

Earnings released on February 3rd 2022 – General Direct happened on February 9th 2022.

This year earnings are releasing on February 7th 2023 – General Direct will happen after that date.

So we can safely write off the first week from Jan 30th to February 3rd.
____________________________________________________________________________________________

Let’s go with the second week, February 6th to February 10th.

As said above, it will be after the earnings so after February 7th. We have then left a February 8th and 9th but more on that later.
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

We are now in the third week, February 13th to February 17th.

Some might say that the third week is perfect one, but I don’t think so. Here’s why:

Splatoon 3 new season theory, while good on paper it does not proove much anything.

Splatoon 3 Chill season was announced on November 14th and released 17 days later.
The fact that we only have this one Splatoon pattern to go to can’t give us many details. If Direct would be on this date it will be roughly 14 days from new season announcement to release but as said, we have only one pattern to go from so scratching this too.

What we however have on that week is Super Nintendo World opening in Hollywood on Friday, February 17th. Yes, I know they might don’t care but I could see them promoting heavily that their US version of theme park will open 2-3 days from now rather than doing Direct on that time. But again this is only for the US but that’s still one of their biggest market so.

There is also a Octopath Traveler 2 demo that will surely get announced and released in this Direct. Doing a demo just a one week before this game releases seems weird, they always had the bigger gaps between them.
___________________________________________________________________________________

4th week of February from February 20th to 24th.

Not only is this late as hell, since Zelda is releasing in mid May but it’s also a week of Kirby and Octopath (I know, they are not publishing it this time but the fact that it was revealed first by them gives you a good idea that they will promote it).
_______________________________________________________________________________________

With all this said, there is only one possible date of a Direct.

Second week, after earnings on February 7th.

But it’s gonna be Wednesday 8th or Thursday 9th?

That’s why we have to bring the dates to the table.

April 12th 2017 - Wednesday
September 13th 2017 - Wednesday
March 8th 2018 - Thursday
September 13th 2018 - Thursday
February 13th 2019 - Wednesday
September 4th 2019 - Wednesday
February 17th 2021 - Wednesday
September 23th 2021 - Thursday
February 9th 2022 - Wednesday
September 13th 2022 – Tuesday

miyamotogif1.gif

From 10 Directs during the Switch era, 6 of them were on Wednesday. You know why it is Wednesday in the US most of the time? Because the global data traffic is one of the biggest on Wednesdays. The US market has the biggest viewership, that’s why it was Wednesday most of the time.

Yes, the last one was on Tuesday but that was because it was only last possible date after release of Splatoon and also before the start of TGS.

As you can see every February Direct always happened on Wednesday so I don’t see why it would be changed now.

Announcement on February 7th 23:00 JST for a Direct on Wednesday 8th US, 23:00 CET Europe and morning of February 9th JP.

But you said it will be announced after the earnings!

Yes, earnings are releasing in around 8AM CET on February 7th while the Direct will be announced 7 hours from that.

Or they will announce it on Wednesday 8th for a Direct on Thursday 9th. I don’t know.

There is also the fact that each Direct after the earnings was done week or more after that.
But I don’t know, the Octopath demo just week before the game seems weird. And also does the Super Nintendo World Opening in that week.

The conclusion to the story is that I don’t fucking now. I really don’t. It will be second or third week. Nohing else. Make your own assumptions.

Just kidding.

The fact that they waited till 3rd week of February (17th) 2021 was just because it was after release of 3D World + Bowser’s Fury.

It’s the second week. Either 8th or 9th.

Thank you and goodbye.

gifmiyamotobill.gif
you think it's the 8th or 9th because of past trends

i think it's the 8th or 9th because Nintendo wants a new Mario movie trailer out before the super bowl to play a cut-down version of it during the game

were are not the same

185.jpg

I'm excited for Forza too, but the fact that - to me - it's the only exciting non-Bethesda (i.e. a game that Microsoft didn't just throw money at to acquire) game here is... telling, to say the least. Microsoft has some serious, serious issues with actually putting out games and this event is only exacerbating that, I feel.

I'm not even that excited for Starfall, the core Bethesda studio has a track record with me for making deeply shallow games that each feel progressively more responding to current standards and pulling out character in favor of mass market appeal. Which I get, but the progression of Oblivion to Fallout 3 to Skyrim to Fallout 4 was super depressing for me. By Fallout 4, it's a pretty generic looter shooter and Skyrim wasn't too far removed from that.

Forza is always nice, but Horizon has so clearly eclipsed the main series it's a bit harder for me to get invested back into Motorsport.

Meanwhile, Microsoft has announced so much stuff that I would be interested in, but doesn't seem to be anywhere and at best are years away still with Fable, Avowed, Hellblade 2 (literally THE game the console was announced with and I was so excited for), Everwild (good luck Rare if you ever get that out), Perfect Dark (keeps hitting production troubles per the rumors).

People always talk about Microsoft as the savior of some franchises if they were to acquire this and that, meanwhile I feel like the crazy one being let down constantly by Microsoft for the past 10 years for new revivals and their core franchises. The only one that has managed to keep its quality and release schedule mostly in tact IS Forza, which is wild and requires two massive studios on it at all times.

THIS IS WHY I WAS SO DESPERATE FOR THE HALO RUMOUR TO COME TRUE 😭

Save us TimeSplitters, you're our only hope
Sadly not even Goldeneye will save us as the online will most likely be against friends.

But... I think our salvation lies with Nightdive. Quake 2 is among the candidates for the next remaster and that game had local deathmatch in every version of the game. Of course, Quake 3 Arena would have been much better remaster for good ole free for all deathmatch, but I won't complain if we get only Q2.

I loved Goldeneye and The World is Not Enough on N64 but Quake 3 on Dreamcast was a split screen experience on a whole another level.

looking forward to the eve of the direct, when the soldiers of January and the soldiers of February both lay down their arms and emerge from their respective trenches to play a friendly game of local multiplayer Mario Strikers in No Man's Land
MATCH-548050.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom