• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Splatoon 3 news should be coming up real soon. I expect next week or the following. September should be an exciting time for announcement too. I am still hoping BotW 2 gets a large trailer with title reveal. I just hope the game isn't delayed once again to later in 2023.

Yeah, because these small side projects would obviously have the same budget as a theoretical Metroid game. You got it.
I mean, the fact that all three of Game Freak’s most recent non-Pokemon titles failed to make a splash is kind of the point regardless of budget. Hell, Little Town Hero was just plain bad. Either way, Game Freak isn’t an automatic ‘massive success’ button in the way that (still snarky) post suggested.

I mean, the fact that all three of Game Freak’s most recent non-Pokemon titles failed to make a splash is kind of the point regardless of budget. Hell, Little Town Hero was just plain bad. Either way, Game Freak isn’t an automatic ‘massive success’ button in the way that (still snarky) post suggested.
Its a pointless discussion either way but I get your argument. Just wanted to mention that I don't think its fair to reduce Gamefreaks ability to make succcessful games by mentioning some low budget side projects. Thats all.

Splatoon 3 news should be coming up real soon. I expect next week or the following. September should be an exciting time for announcement too. I am still hoping BotW 2 gets a large trailer with title reveal. I just hope the game isn't delayed once again to later in 2023.
Splatoon is gonna be my highlight this year. In combination with Kirby. Can't wait for the next few weeks.

Hey Nintendo, if you REALLY want to be unpredictable this year, dropping a trailer for the new switch later today or tomorrow would settle any doubts.

I'll just say that if I said that epd 4 is the best Nintendo team and should have made metroid prime 4 to make it successful nobody would bat an eye.
An EPD 4 spin on Metrod Prime would be really interesting. Some of them made Nintendo Land. Metroid Blast is fantastic and addicting as hell.
Using that game as a base to form a singleplayer Metroid would be really great to see.

You say this but tbh.... a serious big hot take incoming.... I wasn't too impressed by Luigis Mansion 3 for example. I beat it and that was it. I have no desire to ever replay it.
If it's any small consolation...I'm kind of in agreeance with you? Like, I still enjoyed LM3 a great deal more than Origami King, but much like earlier Paper Mario entries I feel like Luigi's Mansion lost some of that magic that the first game had that was originally developed by EPD9, before NLG took over for 2 and 3.

I may go back to replay it some day, but I'd sooner go through the first game again that had more spookier elements and wasn't so arcade-y. I definitely have no plans to go back to Dark Moon though unless the entire mission structure was overhauled and not on a tiny ass 3DS screen.

gamefreak's metroid prime remastered (released 2024) would be so good it would sell 10 million in the first 5 minutes of it going live (2 million every minute for all the mathheads). every single award would be immediately be given to it as gamefreak deftly weaves various elements of multiple genres (except roguelikes). retro, after gazing upon its perfection, would be forced to shutter down and become a full blown BBQ bar, defeated and humbled. miyamoto would go into retirement, commenting only that "we fucking did it".

whatsgoingonhere-kimkardashian.gif

So no Switch hardware until summer 2023 at the earliest
No June direct, possibly no more directs at all, just twitter trailers
No titles scheduled for 2023 except BOTW2 (if it doesn't get delayed again), and a nebulous Metroid Prime 4 coming someday, eventually
Rumored Prime 1 remaster and Fire Emblem (which had screenshots leaked) are the other titles we are pretty sure are coming, based on insiders' claims
Oh and Advance Wars Rebootcamp, if Nintendo ever decides to release it

The rest of this year's big exclusives are Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Mario Rabbids 2, and Pokemon. And of those, Splatoon 3 is not showing why it needs to be a full-priced sequel to lure in a more casual player like myself, Bayo 3 and Rabbids 2 are third party collaborations, and Pokemon is Pokemon (I'm not a Pokemon player). It's a lot like 2017, though without Mario, Zelda or ARMS.

Overall I can see why some people think 2022 is amazing (especially if you love Xeno and FE or the aforementioned sequels), and I can see why some feel it's kind of a meh year. I'm in the latter camp. Not saying I don't enjoy some of these franchises, but it I can't shake this feeling that this seems like a bit of an off year. It really felt like they were saving heavy hitters for holiday or spring, and now that's essentially moot if you're not into the annual Pokemon games. I know, chip shortages, COVID, delays, etc. - but it feels like they had bigger plans this year and pushed it back - and not just immediate future back, but waaay back.

I also kind of find it funny how so many people in the Nikkei thread were like "oh yeah I always knew the new hardware wouldn't come soon". Uh uh, sure you knew :p

So no Switch hardware until summer 2023 at the earliest
No June direct, possibly no more directs at all, just twitter trailers
No titles scheduled for 2023 except BOTW2 (if it doesn't get delayed again), and a nebulous Metroid Prime 4 coming someday, eventually
Rumored Prime 1 remaster and Fire Emblem (which had screenshots leaked) are the other titles we are pretty sure are coming, based on insiders' claims
Oh and Advance Wars Rebootcamp, if Nintendo ever decides to release it

The rest of this year's big exclusives are Splatoon 3, Bayonetta 3, Mario Rabbids 2, and Pokemon. And of those, Splatoon 3 is not showing why it needs to be a full-priced sequel to lure in a more casual player like myself, Bayo 3 and Rabbids 2 are third party collaborations, and Pokemon is Pokemon (I'm not a Pokemon player). It's a lot like 2017, though without Mario, Zelda or ARMS.

Overall I can see why some people think 2022 is amazing (especially if you love Xeno and FE or the aforementioned sequels), and I can see why some feel it's kind of a meh year. I'm in the latter camp. Not saying I don't enjoy some of these franchises, but it I can't shake this feeling that this seems like a bit of an off year. It really felt like they were saving heavy hitters for holiday or spring, and now that's essentially moot if you're not into the annual Pokemon games. I know, chip shortages, COVID, delays, etc. - but it feels like they had bigger plans this year and pushed it back - and not just immediate future back, but waaay back.

I also kind of find it funny how so many people in the Nikkei thread were like "oh yeah I always knew the new hardware wouldn't come soon". Uh uh, sure you knew :p
I'd agree with this assessment. I can recognize that people are eating well especially in the latter half of this year between Mario Strikers, Fire Emblem, Splatoon, Xenoblade and Mario+Rabbids...but none of the aforementioned games are on my radar. As it stands, Bayo 3 and Pokemon are the only games I'm excited for in the meantime, and even the occasional indie like Bear & Breakfast I was excited for got delayed for an indeterminate amount of time. It's why I was holding out hope for a summer General Direct, but instead all we got was a lacklustre partner showcase which was outclassed in damn near every way by Annapurna's presentation just a week or so back.

So far this year I've enjoyed Pokemon Legends Arceus, and...yeah I don't think I played much else that wasn't already in my backlog or just some smaller third party releases like Portal or The Artful Escape. Guess I'm just twiddling my thumbs until I hopefully get some news to get me excited for 2023 beyond Zelda because at this rate I doubt the December game for this year is going to wow me.

I find Game Freak hate unjustified, they don’t make the best looking games ik but they are pretty fun and considering the circumstances they don’t look that bad really I think people tend to either exaggerate how bad they look or they have too high of expectations. They are not the best Switch devs but they are great to have and reliable

Gust also offers basically annual games that are much more consistent in terms of quality AND look great on Switch to boot.

(And they wish they could sell what Pokemon sells in a day. What the hell?)

Hey so we got a Pokémon Presents yesterday. Other kinds of presentations usually aren't far behind.

I'm still thinking a Direct for Splatoon 3 will happen this month but with just barely over a month left before this game ships, I'm beginning to wonder if a major delay is about to hit. The lack of coverage for what I thought would be Nintendo's biggest release this year (Besides Pokémon from the Pokémon Company) is just weird. No one else feel this way?

I'm still thinking a Direct for Splatoon 3 will happen this month but with just barely over a month left before this game ships, I'm beginning to wonder if a major delay is about to hit. The lack of coverage for what I thought would be Nintendo's biggest release this year (Besides Pokémon from the Pokémon Company) is just weird. No one else feel this way?

Please never mention the words "Splatoon 3" and "Delay" in the same sentence ever again 😭

Do you expect a Direct in early, mid, or late September? We had 2019, where the Direct was on 9/4, and 2021, where it took place on 9/23; as examples.

What do you predict? I personally suspect an early Sept Direct.

Do you expect a Direct in early, mid, or late September? We had 2019, where the Direct was on 9/4, and 2021, where it took place on 9/23; as examples.

Early, needs to be before TGS

I am full in on Sept 1st lol

Coverage is soon.

Unless they are delaying the game again (pls no) Splatoon 3 is extremely likely to get a good chunk of news next week

Next week is perfect for Splatoon news, and probably earlier in the week to not bump into Obon I would assume

Wonder if there will be a big thing or small thing revealed on Twitter for Splatoon 3 later today. I am expecting something minor while the significant news happen next week.

Thank you for reading.

Splatoon 3 is of mild interest to me, but at least it's not another JRPG :p . i'm glad for all you weebs, but just about every major release the past months were jrpgs and it's just not my thing. Gimme some crazy fleshed out single player and I'll give it a try!

Also, if Zelda doesn't show in september I'm gonna be miffed. It's becoming the biggest case of gaming announcement blue balls since Final Fantasy VII remake. And if it's delayed further I might cryyyyyy.

Nintendo should have bought Crystal Dynamics and the Tomb Raider franchise when they had the chance.
  • Western developer specialized in single player games
  • Iconic female protagonist to add diversity of their portfolio as well as crossovers such as Smash Bros.
  • Lots of legacy content to draw from
  • Reboot series has come to a conclusion, giving them a clean slate for the future of the IP

Of course, this being Nintendo who are known for coasting and resting on their laurels it was to be expected that they wouldn't do this no-brainer move.

/s

Nintendo should have bought Crystal Dynamics and the Tomb Raider franchise when they had the chance.
  • Iconic female protagonist to add diversity of their portfolio as well as crossovers such as Smash Bros.
  • Reboot series has come to a conclusion, giving them a clean slate for the future of the IP

Of course, this being Nintendo who are known for coasting and resting on their laurels it was to be expected that they wouldn't do this no-brainer move.

/s

But what if Nintendo is only interested in Square Enix Tokyo, but not the rest?

;]

/s
Unironically yes tho. Their price was so low that they should have done it. Eidos montreal alone would be worth it imo

/s
Thanks I hate it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom