• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's funny when this thread go a bit slowburning because we have games to play.
At the moment I am around Xenoblade Chronicles 3, Digimon Survive and Shin-chan.

I think Odyssey 2 got cancelled. Bowser's Fury and 3D All-Stars were consolation prizes. There's no way a 3D Mario sequel would take this long.
It's extremely unlikely, but it's not impossible Nintendo realized they cannot realize their vision of a fully open-world 3D Mario game on Switch, so they're developing it exclusively for Drake.

3D All-Stars was probably a pandemic panic release, probably because 3D World + Bowser's Fury wasn't guaranteed to make 2020 (didn't development only finish in November or December 2020?). I don't think 3D All-Stars tells us anything much about what happened with 3D Mario.

I'd also argue that 3D World + BF launching when it did (early 2021) likely means it was worked on after whatever EPD 8 hired for in 2019. In other words, I think it goes something like:
  • late 2017 to mid 2019, project after Odyssey scrapped
  • mid to late 2019; new project and 3D World port greenlit at EPD 8, Bowser's Fury largely outsourced to NST
  • 2020; pandemic disruption plus relocation to new offices for EPD 8; 3D All-Stars greenlit due to the pandemic, primarily handled by NERD and iQue

2023 to 2024 seems likely for the next 3D Mario to me. 4 to 5 year development cycle assuming a 2019 start. It's important to remember that the two 3D Mario releases we've had since Odyssey haven't been intensive efforts for EPD; the bulk of the work was handled by Nintendo's smaller subsidiaries (NST, NERD, iQue), so it's not as if that stuff will have taken much away from EPD 8 working on a new game. It's likely that there was a combination of an unsuccessful project (presumably ended by or in 2019, I think) plus the pandemic slowing things down. That, and Nintendo really don't need to rush their biggest games to market, because there's masses of software available on Switch and the system is selling strongly.

3D All-Stars was probably a pandemic panic release, probably because 3D World + Bowser's Fury wasn't guaranteed to make 2020 (didn't development only finish in November or December 2020?).
3D All Stars was actually planned as part of a big Mario celebration to coincide with the Olympics much longer before the Pandemic began.

3D All-Stars was probably a pandemic panic release, probably because 3D World + Bowser's Fury wasn't guaranteed to make 2020 (didn't development only finish in November or December 2020?). I don't think 3D All-Stars tells us anything much about what happened with 3D Mario.

There were reports in early 2020 about Nintendo re-releasing a bunch of Mario games: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...3d-games-reportedly-coming-to-switch-in-2020/. So 3D All-Stars would have been well in development before the pandemic hit. The reports say the whole Super Mario 35th anniversary was going to be the focus of E3 before it was cancelled.

I still believe we will get a new Mario platformer in time for the movie (not sure if 2D or 3D). Could even have been in part why the film was delayed. I’m feeling good about seeing it in the September Direct.

3D All Stars was actually planned as part of a big Mario celebration to coincide with the Olympics much longer before the Pandemic began.

There were reports in early 2020 about Nintendo re-releasing a bunch of Mario games: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020...3d-games-reportedly-coming-to-switch-in-2020/. So 3D All-Stars would have been well in development before the pandemic hit. The reports say the whole Super Mario 35th anniversary was going to be the focus of E3 before it was cancelled.
Fair enough, I'd forgotten about some of that. Makes the relative lack of effort with the collection even more frustrating.

The underground and sky expansions to the world will be a big factor in the game standing apart no doubt.

But the reuse of the world itself worries me. In Majora's Mask, we got to see familiar character models in twisted-yet-familiar contexts due to them being part of an alternate dimension. The BotW sequel is going to be set in literally the same world. It feels like a Morton's Fork waiting to happen because:
  • If they're continuing the very open world approach of BotW, it will be a little thin for players since we literally already explored that world.
  • If they want to add a "cinematic story" like a bunch of modern open world games, it will either anger fans for linearizing the game, or it will gel poorly with the existing open world paradigm.
The first bullet point also makes the open world format questionably tenable for the series as a whole tbh. The majority of the series is set in Hyrule, reusing the same settings over and over. It was fine in earlier entries since they were comparatively small and had a much larger dungeon focus, allowing for bursts of unique level design. In an expansive open world though, seeing a known quantity like Zora's Domain or Death's Mountain many times exacerbates the repetition by being large chunks of the exploration and the genre having long dev times by nature. They'd have to focus on more entirely new biomes to keep things fresh. Given that Nintendo is going to spend over 5 years making BotW2 (obligatory to mention the COVID impact, but even then), a game that iterates on a landscape that is already made for them, I don't think their current situation is at all conducive to making BotW the template past its sequel.

I think it depends on the specific games. With Strikers for example I don’t really see the benefit of having a big single player campaign. For Splatoon, I think many people see the potential the mechanics and the world has, and they just wish to explore them better with a single player campaign. Since Nintendo doesn’t do spin-offs for most of their IPs, a single player mode or DLC is the only real option for that.
Oh, and with iterative sequels, I think it’s fair to expect more content in general. And a single player campaign is a great way to do that.
I would argue that in Strikers, I’d really like a “career mode” even though it’s online-focused. Same with Switch Sports.

do it like rocket league — I want just a little tournament against CPUs when my internet shits out / to learn the ropes better that maybe says “gr8 job m8” at the end. doesn’t have to be complex, and I can even understand putting better items behind online play.

but please… please just a basic mode like this… every time

Fair enough, I'd forgotten about some of that. Makes the relative lack of effort with the collection even more frustrating.
I'd say it was more a rush job, than a lack of effort.
NERD has to develop three different new emulators AND port half Galaxy 1 in basically no time. That's why you had graphical bugs like the ones in Sunshine.

I'd say it was more a rush job, than a lack of effort.
NERD has to develop three different new emulators AND port half Galaxy 1 in basically no time. That's why you had graphical bugs like the ones in Sunshine.
Yeah, I think "limited scope" would be the best way to describe it.

Splatoon 3 content planned for at least the next two years. Yet even more proof that Nintendo plans on killing off the Switch tomorrow and move all games onto its next system!

Splatoon 3 looks great! Nothing revolutionary, but a welcomed refinement.

Though the lack of story mode info was interesting. My gut reaction was that we will get the story trailer within a September Direct, scheduled for the week of Splatoon 3 release. Wouldn't that lineup with TGS being the week after?

everybody knew it was coming, it's fine
Yeah but they could have at least waited until after launch to announce it. It feels cheap, like they're completely admitting "Hey, we have nothing new in the $60 sequel we spent years developing, but we already have confirmed plans to charge you MORE money after launch for all the stuff we forgot about, hahahah".

Maybe if the rest of the game looked like it had a lot going for it, I would excuse it (like with Smash Ultimate or BOTW), but Splatoon 3 already just looks like Splatoon 2.5.

"Hey, we have nothing new in the $60 sequel we spent years developing, but we already have confirmed plans to charge you MORE money after launch for all the stuff we forgot about, hahahah".
they forgot about the extra single player campaign that they probably haven't even started yet?

I remember when people thought Mario Odyssey would be an autorunner.

Here's the thing, them not showing the single player or whatever doesn't mean it's the same as before.
Of course, it could be, but stating it absolutely is before someone actually played it, is like saying Mario Odyssey is going to be an auto-runner.

And i say this as someone who's 97.5% likely not to get Splatoon 3.

Yeah but they could have at least waited until after launch to announce it. It feels cheap, like they're completely admitting "Hey, we have nothing new in the $60 sequel we spent years developing, but we already have confirmed plans to charge you MORE money after launch for all the stuff we forgot about, hahahah".

Maybe if the rest of the game looked like it had a lot going for it, I would excuse it (like with Smash Ultimate or BOTW), but Splatoon 3 already just looks like Splatoon 2.5.
Not sure how much it affects the optics when everyone and their stinky horse was expecting it.

And if Splatoon 3 looks like Splatoon 2.5 that would be pretty par for the course considering Splatoon 2 looked like Splatoon 1.5 to a lot of people.

Not sure how much it affects the optics when everyone and their stinky horse was expecting it.

And if Splatoon 3 looks like Splatoon 2.5 that would be pretty par for the course considering Splatoon 2 looked like Splatoon 1.5 to a lot of people.
So I guess splatoon 3 is in reality splatoon 1.75

well no, if every game is just the 1.5 of the last game it will never become a real splatoon 2, that's how math works
Yeah I mean they'll stop porting the last game

Especially egregious when they port it to a system it's already on like with Splatoon 3

Meaning splat 3 is actually 2

I'm not really invested in the Splatoon franchise, so I didn't watch the direct. While there have been some mixed responses, fans generally seem to be excited. I hope they enjoy the game!

Looking ahead, I think Nintendo will be in a good position to hold a September general direct. Besides the quick headline segments, they can have 2-3 "spotlight" announcements at the beginning/end of the presentation. These would probably end up being early 2023 games, with the exception of Metroid Prime Remaster coming in November or December. It also seems like a good time to show the new fire emblem if it's still on schedule.

Zelda is a wild card for me -- I think it depends on whether it releases in early spring or closer to summer. Still, that game would be huge enough to warrant it's own presentation outside of a general direct. I remember in the September 2021 direct, there were a few announcements of later presentations, such as the Animal Crossing DLC. I wonder if we will see something like that for Zelda? This happens only if they plan to talk about it before 2023 begins. With so many "if" statements, it's hard for me to predict anything about it.

Of course, June taught me not to take anything for granted, so it's possible that we get something different. Whatever form it takes, the next wave of first-party news is getting closer every day!

I'm not really invested in the Splatoon franchise, so I didn't watch the direct. While there have been some mixed responses, fans generally seem to be excited. I hope they enjoy the game!

Looking ahead, I think Nintendo will be in a good position to hold a September general direct. Besides the quick headline segments, they can have 2-3 "spotlight" announcements at the beginning/end of the presentation. These would probably end up being early 2023 games, with the exception of Metroid Prime Remaster coming in November or December. It also seems like a good time to show the new fire emblem if it's still on schedule.

Zelda is a wild card for me -- I think it depends on whether it release in early spring or closer to summer. Still, that game would be huge enough to warrant it's own presentation outside of a general direct. I remember in the September 2021 direct, there were a few announcements of later presentations, such as the Animal Crossing DLC. I wonder if we will see something like that for Zelda? This happens only if they plan to talk about it before 2023 begins. With so many "if" statements, it's hard for me to predict anything about it.

Of course, June taught me not to take anything for granted, so it's possible that we get something different. Whatever form it takes, the next wave of first-party news is getting closer every day!
You know it's actually hilarious, the fan of the series are excited for splatoon 3 while the people who don't like splatoon are criticizing the fans for liking it and saying the game is doomed.

Announcing paid DLC for Splatoon 3 before the game even launches is a big problem. I thought Nintendo would be better than this...

I'm really dissapointed. It feels lazy, like they didn't even try to justify a full sequel existing.
I never understood this mindset. Like, if they announced it September 10th after the game launches it’s fine? But since it was before it’s problematic? All they said is they are working on it, which means it’s still probably early in development. If you are a Splatoon fan you should be excited that not only will this game get free updates for the next 2 years-it will also have a large expansion DLC as well

Announcing paid DLC for Splatoon 3 before the game even launches is a big problem. I thought Nintendo would be better than this...

I'm really dissapointed. It feels lazy, like they didn't even try to justify a full sequel existing.
How many more times do we need Nintendo doing basic "yeah, we like money, dont you?" things before people stop thinking they are ''better than this''? We've even had microtransactions already! Years ago!

With Splatoon 3 direct, I think the rest of the month will be fairly quiet other than some more Splatoon updates, the N64 game of the month and possibly the 1-2 switch sequel announcement. There could also be another Indie World. September is where things could get interesting. An NSO update with more platforms would be nice, and Metroid Prime remake if coming out this years needs to be announced. I would like to believe a full direct is on the way too with Zelda Botw 2 trailer and Title.

A great potential direct for me would go like this.

• Metroid Prime Remake with short MP4 tease
  • Updates on October titles ( Sparks of Hope/Bayonetta)
  • New Fire Emblem early 2023
  • NSO update with GB,GBC for base and GBA for expansion pass
  • 3rd Party surprises
  • Short Pokemon reminder
  • Mario Movie trailer
  • Zelda Botw 2 trailer and title reveal

Maybe a bit wishful thinking but I think in the realm of possibility.

I haven't watched the Direct yet, but they did exactly this with a number of games already (including Xenoblade Chronicles 3 most recently) so... huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom