• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST3| Speculate Chronicles 3

WHEN

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
It feels like we're getting a salvo of Nintendo announcements throughout late July and August. Has my personal prediction of Nintendo waiting until everyone else was done with the "informal E3" in June/July come true?
Not really
They're just doing directs at the usual times.

How does Nintendo having consistent announcements and presentations from June to now show that Nintendo was waiting for informal E3 to be over?

It started in June? Could've sworn things picked up late July.

If it did start in June, then Nintendo was participating in "informal E3" and I was under a rock at the time.

you snuck that in rather slyly you.. *checks your avatar* sly dog

Here's the soundtrack playing in my mind
To quote myself from the early Famiboard days (circa Oct 23rd, 2021)

Incredibly off tangent, I think I paid $60 to have Jeff Goldblum sign his first album for me back in 2019 FanExpo and the sly bastard told me, after I asked him what his next album was going to be, responded with "I shouldn't be telling you this.", and I thanked him for his honesty and that I'll be excited regardless when it comes out.

Four fucking months later I'm in Sunrise Records, see his new album and

ab67616d0000b273c25c50fee0bb68a14c183e86

In short, happy birthday Jeff

It's probably my second favourite encounter with a celebrity

...and now that trap beat is also gonna be stuck in my head, so thank you 😂

i just want the tga to come home soon so i can hope for a mp4 teaser

yes i know yadda yadda nintendo tga etc. But mp4 is one of the most well suited games for the event. And almost 4 years after the reboot happened.

30sec teaser pls

i just want the tga to come home soon so i can hope for a mp4 teaser

yes i know yadda yadda nintendo tga etc. But mp4 is one of the most well suited games for the event. And almost 4 years after the reboot happened.

30sec teaser pls
Why u wish for TGA when it could be showed during Sept Direct 🤨

FZcQ6iKWYAAuqoR

pov: you, yoshiaki koizumi, just told miyamoto that epd doesn't have the resources to develop pikmin 4 which has been in preproduction for almost a decade under yuji kando

FZcQ6iKWYAAuqoR

pov: you, yoshiaki koizumi, just told miyamoto that epd doesn't have the resources to develop pikmin 4 which has been in preproduction for almost a decade under yuji kando
Are you telling me Pikmin 4 just happens to disappear like that?! No, he orchestrated it! Koizumi!

Fun facts I made up that sound right, I think:

• It has been nearly as long since the last 2D Mario game released as the time from Yoshi's Island to New Super Mario Bros.
  • This is the longest we have ever gone without a 2D Zelda announcement since the series began
  • This is the longest Nintendo has gone without a non-Mario Kart full retail vehicle racing game release since Excitebike
  • This is the longest wait we have ever had between Nintendo Land entries
  • This is the longest Nintendo has gone without the announcement of a brand-new 2D platforming game since the millennium began
  • This is the longest we have gone between gaps from 3D Mario game release to announcement of the next 3D Mario
Ergo, all of these things will happen soon 🤠

It has been nearly as long since the last 2D Mario game released as the time from Yoshi's Island to New Super Mario Bros.

Mario Maker IS a 2D Mario game tho. It's apparently the third "secondary" main series after Land and NSMB.

Y'all actually believe BOTW2 exists?

john-jonah-jameson-lol.gif

It'll be moved to next console if anything.

It's strange. They obviously wanted to recycle BotW's world and engine just to get another Zelda game out quicker, but that hasn't worked out. They should've just made a non-sequel in a different time period like they usually do if their release schedule didn't work out.

It's strange. They obviously wanted to recycle BotW's world and engine just to get another Zelda game out quicker, but that hasn't worked out. They should've just made a non-sequel in a different time period like they usually do if their release schedule didn't work out.
This is such an odd take to make when we don't yet know what the game looks like?

It'll be moved to next console if anything.

I don't wanna come across as a "well actually" sorta thing but the director said that what happened was the team was working on a third expansion pass for BotW and the ideas they had for it got so big that they decided to make it it's own separate game, similar to how Mario Galaxy 2 came about.

I don't think "recycling BotW's engine to get another game quickly" was the reason or the point of what they did. Sounded to me like quite the opposite. They started with a small project and it ballooned in scope until it had to be a separate game.

Also insert another instance here of me stating my belief that the new Switch will share games with the current Switch, and that development and releases for Erista/Mariko won't simply move to Drake when it comes out.

We've seen two trailers of the game now. It would be pretty odd if they scrapped all that in favor of the usual "new time period".
We've seen 30 seconds of gameplay, where it was clear that they were hiding stuff. It's way, way too early to judge anything.

I don't wanna come across as a "well actually" sorta thing but the director said that what happened was the team was working on a third expansion pass for BotW and the ideas they had for it got so big that they decided to make it it's own separate game, similar to how Mario Galaxy 2 came about.

I don't think "recycling BotW's engine to get another game quickly" was the reason or the point of what they did. Sounded to me like quite the opposite. They started with a small project and it ballooned in scope until it had to be a separate game.

Also insert another instance here of me stating my belief that the new Switch will share games with the current Switch, and that development and releases for Erista/Mariko won't simply move to Drake when it comes out.

Not necessarily a third expansion pass, but just a lot of ideas left on the cutting room floor. Still, the project will necessitate reuse of assets from BotW either way; starting from pure scratch would be unnecessary work.

And I think having a new Switch mostly sharing games with the current will be a good idea, but they should leave some room for a select few to be exclusive.

We've seen two trailers of the game now. It would be pretty odd if they scrapped all that in favor of the usual "new time period".
I'm not saying the game will change that, I'm saying it's odd to assume doing that would have been the right move. We have no idea why they've taken the extra time and what the game has grown and expanded into, perhaps (and I would bet) that reuse is still core to what makes it special.

EDIT: Just saw @Magic-Man 's reply above - well said

I'm not saying the game will change that, I'm saying it's odd to assume doing that would have been the right move. We have no idea why they've taken the extra time and what the game has grown and expanded into, perhaps (and I would bet) that reuse is still core to what makes it special.

EDIT: Just saw @Magic-Man 's reply above - well said

The underground and sky expansions to the world will be a big factor in the game standing apart no doubt.

But the reuse of the world itself worries me. In Majora's Mask, we got to see familiar character models in twisted-yet-familiar contexts due to them being part of an alternate dimension. The BotW sequel is going to be set in literally the same world. It feels like a Morton's Fork waiting to happen because:
  • If they're continuing the very open world approach of BotW, it will be a little thin for players since we literally already explored that world.
  • If they want to add a "cinematic story" like a bunch of modern open world games, it will either anger fans for linearizing the game, or it will gel poorly with the existing open world paradigm.

Other than Breath of the Wild 2, Nintendo has Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade 3 DLC planned to the end of 2023. Not to mention Metroid Prime 4 and the new Fire Emblem game that had screenshots leaked. That should tell anyone that Nintendo plans on supporting the Switch for at least another 1.5 years. Even if a Switch Pro/2 is released sometime next year, games will likely be for both systems.

Other than Breath of the Wild 2, Nintendo has Mario Kart 8 and Xenoblade 3 DLC planned to the end of 2023. Not to mention Metroid Prime 4 and the new Fire Emblem game that had screenshots leaked. That should tell anyone that Nintendo plans on supporting the Switch for at least another 1.5 years. Even if a Switch Pro/2 is released sometime next year, games will likely be for both systems.
This reminds me of someone saying that Bayonetta 3 had no chance of coming out this year and that it would be on Switch 2 instead. All time worst take lol

Not necessarily a third expansion pass, but just a lot of ideas left on the cutting room floor. Still, the project will necessitate reuse of assets from BotW either way; starting from pure scratch would be unnecessary work.

And I think having a new Switch mostly sharing games with the current will be a good idea, but they should leave some room for a select few to be exclusive.
Yeah, I said "Expansion Pass" while I should've said DLC, but it was a bit more than "ideas left on the cutting room floor," too. They were in the early stages of planning out more DLC when the scope of what they wanted to do got too big. From the linked(heh) article:
Schreier: What made you and the team decide to make a sequel to Breath of the Wild as opposed to a new Zelda game?

Aonuma: When we released the DLC for Breath of the Wild, we realized that this is a great way to add more elements to the same world. But when it comes down to technical things, DLC is pretty much data—you’re adding data to a preexisting title. And so when we wanted to add bigger changes, DLC is not enough, and that’s why we thought maybe a sequel would be a good fit.
Schreier: Was this sequel originally planned as DLC?

Aonuma: Initially we were thinking of just DLC ideas, but then we had a lot of ideas and we said, “This is too many ideas, let’s just make one new game and start from scratch.”

You know, I am hoping that they initially planned some DLC for Mario Odyssey, but THAT ballooned into its own game as well.

Strange that they confirmed this happened with BotW before Odyssey.

You know, I am hoping that they initially planned some DLC for Mario Odyssey, but THAT ballooned into its own game as well.

I think Odyssey 2 got cancelled. Bowser's Fury and 3D All-Stars were consolation prizes. There's no way a 3D Mario sequel would take this long.

Actually I'm pretty sure the theory has been floating around that that's why we haven't seen DLC stages for Odyssey, or a new mainline Mario game yet.

There's no way a 3D Mario sequel would take this long.
Well I mean..
There is one way.
and that way is covid

I think Odyssey 2 got cancelled. Bowser's Fury and 3D All-Stars were consolation prizes. There's no way a 3D Mario sequel would take this long.

Actually I'm pretty sure the theory has been floating around that that's why we haven't seen DLC stages for Odyssey, or a new mainline Mario game yet.

So I guess 3D Mario's duology trend is going to end then? If a 3D Mario is taking this long, that could be the explanation. I've always seen 3D Mario as of yet in three duologies: the 120 Stars duology (64 and Sunshine), the Galaxy duology, and the Super 3D duology.

Perhaps they don't want to make those sorts of duologies anymore. Or at least it will be a "duology" the way 64 and Sunshine were (very, very loosely).

I've always seen 3D Mario as of yet in three duologies: the 120 Stars duology (64 and Sunshine), the Galaxy duology, and the Super 3D duology.
I've never thought of it this way but that's really interesting. Sorta like the Nintendo console duology trend they talk about in the Hardware Thread: NES/SNES, N64/GC, Wii/WiiU, Switch/WhateverTheyCallDrake

Don't even joke about that!! 😭😭😭

Seriously tho I think it might've been both COVID and the game not entering development right after Odyssey launched the reason why we haven't seen it yet. I think EPD Tokyo potentially working at two games at the same time is the other reason both of them are taking longer to develop than usual.

I think that would be similar to how BotW released 5.5 years after Skyward Sword but had "only" 4 years of dev time, Galaxy released 6 years after Sunshine but only had three years of development as the team didn't start it until completing DK late 2004...

In a crazy theory in my mind, both the 2D DK game and Odyssey 2/whatever next 3D Mario game are coming next year.
Holiday 2011 - Zelda => early 2017 - Zelda
Holiday 2013 - Mario => holiday 2017 - Mario
Holiday 2023 - Mario / early 2023 - Zelda

It makes sense. Six years between main entries and each taking 1-1.5 years more to develop than before due to the pandemic and bigger scope.

Don't even joke about that!! 😭😭😭

Seriously tho I think it might've been both COVID and the game not entering development right after Odyssey launched the reason why we haven't seen it yet. I think EPD Tokyo potentially working at two games at the same time is the other reason both of them are taking longer to develop than usual.

I think that would be similar to how BotW released 5.5 years after Skyward Sword but had "only" 4 years of dev time, Galaxy released 6 years after Sunshine but only had three years of development as the team didn't start it until completing DK late 2004...

In a crazy theory in my mind, both the 2D DK game and Odyssey 2/whatever next 3D Mario game are coming next year.
Holiday 2011 - Zelda => early 2017 - Zelda
Holiday 2013 - Mario => holiday 2017 - Mario
Holiday 2023 - Mario / early 2023 - Zelda

It makes sense. Six years between main entries and each taking 1-1.5 years more to develop than before due to the pandemic and bigger scope.
I dunno. I think at least one project would be announced by now. The gigantic gap and random side campaign for 3D World screams cancelled project to me. Bowser's Fury probably got made so the team could get back in the flow of things. I'm not expecting another 3D Mario game until Switch 2 and it won't be Odyssey 2.

I've never missed 2D platforming games from Nintendo this much as I do now. It's been lacking.

Yoshi
Kirby
Super Mario Maker 2

and a bunch of ports.. in 5,5 years.

Brand new DK or Mario 2D game is where it's at.
It's time.

I dunno. I think at least one project would be announced by now. The gigantic gap and random side campaign for 3D World screams cancelled project to me. Bowser's Fury probably got made so the team could get back in the flow of things. I'm not expecting another 3D Mario game until Switch 2 and it won't be Odyssey 2.
I'm not sure I'm reading your post correctly; do you mean EPD 8 made Bowser's Fury to get back into the flow of things? Because, if so, it's important to remember Bowser's Fury was primarily outsourced to NST and EPD's involvement was minimal.

My personal take on it is that Bowser's Fury was developed from a cancelled prototype, hence why it was shipped over to NST to handle. Whatever else the 3D Mario team is doing was likely in production long before BF released, given the October 2019 hiring call.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom