• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Direct "leaks" that don't have any new game announcements can always be safely ignored
yep. even if the rest of 2022 is as "boring but good" as we've come to expect (splatoon 3, metroid remaster, zelda port, pokemon), they'll show something new for early next year

maybe it's all the Miis I've been making lately but I'm feeling Tomodachi for next year

Direct "leaks" that don't have any new game announcements can always be safely ignored
This, big Nintendo Directs consist of like: 50% predictable game trailers, 20% nice surprise DLC or neat game trailers, 15% why is this in the Direct game trailers, 10% nobody saw coming game trailers, and 5% 'we knew this was coming because insider/leaker overly hinted game trailer'.

Last edited:
I feel Zelda will get the typical trailer with title reveal and a segment on treehouse if they happens. Maybe the starter of the direct this time

Think Nintendo knows they don’t have to show a whole lot. Just some raw gameplay for fans to enjoy for the wait. And because I feel they’ll have other games they want to showcase as well,

I have a feeling they'll open with Zelda for the same reason they often opened with Smash: if they don't, people will spend the whole Direct annoyed and waiting for it
Start off with a BOTW2 trailer and title reveal, announce the Treehouse, then immediately roll into the Windwaker HD port announcement. That makes total sense and I'd be surprised if it didn't happen exactly like that.

I have a feeling they'll open with Zelda for the same reason they often opened with Smash: if they don't, people will spend the whole Direct annoyed and waiting for it

Nintendo Direct animation
Aunouma appears from the black void he's been in the past 2 years
"Breath of the Wild 2 was a social experiment, thank you for the valuable data. Please look forward to future Zelda projects."
Rest of the Direct goes on like nothing happened

yep. even if the rest of 2022 is as "boring but good" as we've come to expect (splatoon 3, metroid remaster, zelda port, pokemon), they'll show something new for early next year

maybe it's all the Miis I've been making lately but I'm feeling Tomodachi for next year
It seems we’ve gotten a “touch generations” style game at least once or twice a year or some sort of tangential blue ocean type release like Miitopia and Switch Sports (I guess some of those Wii Games were under that branding too). I could go for Tomodachi as I think it would go viral well with direct social uploads. Nintendodogs or some sort of puzzle league game could also be close to release announcements. And those games (Clubhouse, Big Brain Academy) seem to be selling very well for likely little development cost.

that sounds like a god damned raccoon year to me
I’m doing this one for you bud. It’s your time to shine.

But for real I do think 2023 will be interesting. We’ve gone through alot of the major franchises. More of the ancillary, secondary, third tier franchises should be showing up for the Switch.

I’m doing this one for you bud. It’s your time to shine.

But for real I do think 2023 will be interesting. We’ve gone through alot of the major franchises. More of the ancillary, secondary, third tier franchises should be showing up for the Switch.
definitely. Splatoon is out this year, Mario Kart is still getting support, Zelda is coming early next year, etc. If Drake ends up being a Switch 2 in 2024, I bet 3D Mario will be withheld for launch.

The only thorn in my side is 2D Mario. If EPD 10 doesn't do Pikmin 4, I don't know who will.

If Nintendo decides to wait a day or two to announce the direct we’ll know before that.

Nate Drake will have already done an analogy or joke or some hint like a week or 2 before the difect so we will know it’s coming.
So we have NateDrake pattern now? Excellent

Yeah, I could see BotW2 opening the Direct, hopefully with a subtitle reveal. Maybe we'll get Prime HD revealed in the middle of the Direct and mainline FE as the closer? Plus whatever other unnanounced games they may have up their sleeve (Pikmin 4?).

There will definitely be at least one game announced for 2023. I find 2023 to be a very intriguing year. I think it’s the year we get Pikmin 4, Star Fox, Nintendogs/Tomadachi
Nintendo can be so hit and miss when it comes to capitalizing on their games' anniversaries, that I'm not even sure StarFox's 30th will be enough to make for a big media hoopla and timely release for a game.

And yet, it's something I would hope for so very, very much.

I am also curious how Direct is structured, remember we have "regular" Directs and "E3" Directs. The difference between them is that the "regular" Directs include headlines while the "E3" Directs are just trailer after trailer. Last year there was Digital E3 and Direct was labeled as E3 2021 but it was just a "regular" Direct with headlines. This year it will probably be the same, I found these Directs to have a lot filler since there is also voiceover in headlines.

There will definitely be at least one game announced for 2023. I find 2023 to be a very intriguing year. I think it’s the year we get Pikmin 4, Star Fox, Nintendogs/Tomadachi
Tbh I've lost faith in Pikmin 4, but 2023 is set to be an intriguing year, definitely. I can easily see Botw2 in march, and there are a lot of rumored games that willl make 2023 really interesting. Fire Emblem GotHW remake, possibly Metroid Prime 4, Donkey Kong...and I can't see 2023 past without a mainline Mario game. Interesting scenario, in my opinion.

Last edited:
Start off with a BOTW2 trailer and title reveal, announce the Treehouse, then immediately roll into the Windwaker HD port announcement. That makes total sense and I'd be surprised if it didn't happen exactly like that.
I actually think Nintendo's best move would be to announce TP/WW for an August release, and not show BOTW2 until the September Direct.
This way the WiiU ports will not get completely overshadowed.

2023 does seem like a big wild card, and that is pretty exciting.

-BOTW 2
-Prime 4 (hopefully)
-Good Feel (I will talk a Wario Land game into existence)
-Possibly NST (Super Mario Galaxy 2 anyone?)
-Super Mario Party 2 (If we get more support for Superstars in the coming months, I reserve the right to pull this back)
-New Fire Emblem (if it doesn't hit this year)
-Grezzo (I'd say a new 2D Zelda, but I doubt Nintendo does two new Zelda games in a calendar year for Switch)
-Other first party surprises like Star Fox and Pikmin are possible too.
-Advance Wars will probably release next year if Nintendo doesn't do it this year.
-Something Pokemon of course.

So many possibilities.

2023 does seem like a big wild card, and that is pretty exciting.

-BOTW 2
-Prime 4 (hopefully)
-Good Feel (I will talk a Wario Land game into existence)
-Possibly NST (Super Mario Galaxy 2 anyone?)
-Super Mario Party 2 (If we get more support for Superstars in the coming months, I reserve the right to pull this back)
-New Fire Emblem (if it doesn't hit this year)
-Grezzo (I'd say a new 2D Zelda, but I doubt Nintendo does two new Zelda games in a calendar year for Switch)
-Other first party surprises like Star Fox and Pikmin are possible too.
-Advance Wars will probably release next year if Nintendo doesn't do it this year.
-Something Pokemon of course.

So many possibilities.

Good-Feel Wario Land sounds cool.

I actually think Nintendo's best move would be to announce TP/WW for an August release, and not show BOTW2 until the September Direct.
They've already done this before though? Nintendo showed off more of BOTW2 last year before Skyward Sword HD came out.

I am not sure about this one. Sure BOTW2 is big on it's own but like announce the ports and then not show BOTW2 (this happened in February 2021 when Aonuma had to apologize that they don't have any news to share right now). Also Aonuma said the same when announcing Age of Calamity: you have to wait longer for more updates and then in February 2021 again as mentioned. I bet this Direct will show BOTW2 in some shape or form.

Let me put it this way: The longer they wait to show BOTW2, the more it'll overshadow everything when it finally does show up. Not having it at the E3 Direct would just piss people off and fuel speculation even more.

Man I wish we had some more concrete info as to when to expect the big show and whether or not there will be a pokemon presents beforehand. Anticipation is killing me. Nintendo seemingly has all of their prior marketing done beforehand already(Strikers/NSO/Indies, etc.) so this coming week is free real estate if they want to do a pokemon presents maybe

Man I wish we had some more concrete info as to when to expect the big show and whether or not there will be a pokemon presents beforehand. Anticipation is killing me. Nintendo seemingly has all of their prior marketing done beforehand already(Strikers/NSO/Indies, etc.) so this coming week is free real estate if they want to do a pokemon presents maybe
Pokemon Presents normally come in June, so I wouldn't expect anything until then. 2019 was in early June and 2020 was on June 17th (I remember that fondly because New Pokemon Snap got announced on my birthday). 2021 came much later.

I think we’ll get a BotW2 full trailer and title at the next Direct but we won’t get a full gameplay blowout until late 2022/early 2023.

Are we expecting the Direct in June?

Yeah, I'd have preferred a date well in advance; it'd make it easier to organise work around watching the Direct.

I'm not so sure on what to expect from EPD in 2023. Some of that depends on whether they ship anything else after Sports and Splatoon 3 this year, but we know of four projects in development after those two:

• Zelda (EPD 3)
  • EPD 10 2D game (hiring October 2019)
  • EPD 8 3D game (hiring October 2019)
  • EPD 8 2D game (hiring August 2020)

Given EPD 4 and 5 are shipping games this year, and given we don't know what the status of EPD 7 is (are they still internal and external production, or external only?), I feel like those above are the next set of EPD games to come. They might all end up being 2023 titles, though I'm hoping for one of the mystery titles to be late 2022.

Tomodachi I think definitely happens on Switch, one way or another; I'm just doubting it being 2023 given what else is going on at EPD.

Pokemon Presents normally come in June, so I wouldn't expect anything until then. 2019 was in early June and 2020 was on June 17th (I remember that fondly because New Pokemon Snap got announced on my birthday). 2021 came much later.
Actually for new gens outside of SWSH which was 1st week of June, the 2nd round of news is almost always May

I kinda feel that with no E3 where they have to make an announcment in advance, Nintendo will revert to type and just announce it a couple of days before. Definitely expect it at the usual time, so early June-ish. There are a couple of gaps in their winter lineup they need to plug.

Yeah, I'd have preferred a date well in advance; it'd make it easier to organise work around watching the Direct.

I'm not so sure on what to expect from EPD in 2023. Some of that depends on whether they ship anything else after Sports and Splatoon 3 this year, but we know of four projects in development after those two:

• Zelda (EPD 3)
  • EPD 10 2D game (hiring October 2019)
  • EPD 8 3D game (hiring October 2019)
  • EPD 8 2D game (hiring August 2020)

Given EPD 4 and 5 are shipping games this year, and given we don't know what the status of EPD 7 is (are they still internal and external production, or external only?), I feel like those above are the next set of EPD games to come. They might all end up being 2023 titles, though I'm hoping for one of the mystery titles to be late 2022.

Tomodachi I think definitely happens on Switch, one way or another; I'm just doubting it being 2023 given what else is going on at EPD.
what if EPD 7 has just been working on Tomodachi 3 for a looooooooooong time

what if EPD 7 has just been working on Tomodachi 3 for a looooooooooong time
They may well have been, and I hope they have. They produced Detective Club and Dread, so it's not as if they've been completely idle.

My concern is more about the number of projects in full development at a time. Presumably some idea for a new Tomodachi exists; but have they been able to assign a full development team and, if so, for how long?

I guess the optimistic way to look at things currently is that EPD are finishing work on multiple games. Zelda gets development support from Monolith Soft, too, and will be wrapping up in the next 12 months. EPD 8 are based in Tokyo and will likely be supported by 1-UP and NST for their games, so that reduces the draw on the development hub in Kyoto.

I just question how much capacity Nintendo have right now in Kyoto and how quickly that's going to change.

Tomodachi life but with Sportsmate-like characters instead of Miis...........

Even as someone who likes the Sportsmates...

200.gif

I see this suggested all the time, but I struggle to see why. All of the characters being identical would be pretty antithetical to the appeal of the series
And they just made the Mii creator so robust for the Miitopia rerelease, so this game is primed for some amazing creations.

2023 could be the year a trio of near-mythical games launch:

Breath of the Wild 2 in spring
Detective Pikachu 2 in summer
Metroid Prime 4 in autumn

Add in:

EPD 8 game
EPD 10 game
Good-Feel game (Wario Land let's gooo)
Grezzo game (Kaeru no Tame ni Kane wa Naru remake)
Fire Emblem Echoes 2: Here's Your Holy War Remake, You Funkin' Nerds
Yoshi's Woolly World Plus Poochy Plus Another Adorable Character Definitive Edition
Full-time UFO (HAL's 3D follow up to Part-time UFO)
Super Mario Party 2: This Time The Number of Boards Is Personal
Astral Chain 2: Game of the Forever Edition

I was looking at Nintendo's most recent trademarks and it's intersting to look at them and speculate. If you're interested here's how to do so, link takes you to a patent/trademark/design registration website: https://branddb.wipo.int/branddb/en/index.jsp.

On the second page you can see that Nintendo very slightly changed the Pokemon Violet and Scarlet japanese logos, lol.

1. Click the "Names" tab under "Search By" on the left.
2. In the "Holder" search bar type "nintendo".
3. Click "search".
4. Click the "App. Date" banner so it sorts trademarks by most recent.
5. Scroll through and you'll see games like Metroid Zero Mission, Mario Strikers, and Minish Cap to name a few.

no but for real, a new Tomodachi life or Nintendogs is all i want for the end of this year. I really miss the casual series from the DS/3DS era

We definitely need a casual game for H2. Sure, we have Switch Sports this year, but it's always good to have one out for the holidays. I wonder if Ring Fit 2 is happening?

I do think stuff like Tomodachi and Nintendogs have a really good shot at turning up on Switch. DS was the system that enabled Animal Crossing to break out initially and we've seen how huge that has become; and we've also seen how interested Nintendo are in returning to ideas and franchises from that mid 2000s era (Brain Training, Big Brain Academy, Clubhouse Games, Ring Fit Adventure, Switch Sports).

I don't think they're done revisiting or updating hits from that era.
We definitely need a casual game for H2. Sure, we have Switch Sports this year, but it's always good to have one out for the holidays. I wonder if Ring Fit 2 is happening?
Unlikely precisely because of Switch Sports, which I think shares development leads with RFA. The 1-2 Switch sequel may also be something that comes out towards the end of the year, and I don't think you're going to see EPD 4 ship 3 games this year, even if they are a productive group.

I do think stuff like Tomodachi and Nintendogs have a really good shot at turning up on Switch. DS was the system that enabled Animal Crossing to break out initially and we've seen how huge that has become; and we've also seen how interested Nintendo are in returning to ideas and franchises from that mid 2000s era (Brain Training, Big Brain Academy, Clubhouse Games, Ring Fit Adventure, Switch Sports).

I don't think they're done revisiting or updating hits from that era.

Unlikely precisely because of Switch Sports, which I think shares development leads with RFA. The 1-2 Switch sequel may also be something that comes out towards the end of the year, and I don't think you're going to see EPD 4 ship 3 games this year, even if they are a productive group.
That's a shame. I love the Wii/Switch Sports games, but I wanted a Ring Fit Sequel sooner than later.

interestingly, Nintendo Switch Sports was directed by Yoshikazu Yamashita, who previously directed Wii Sports Resort, Nintendo Land, and was senior director of... Super Mario Maker on Wii U.

I'm not opposed to a new Nintendogs on Switch but I still think it'd be a little bit of a sad release due to the missing hardware features (no microphone or camera). Instead I'd really like something radically different from what they've done in the past like Labo was. Even Ring Fit has barely any resemblance to Wii Fit.

In any case a DLC for Ring Fit would make more sense, it's a similar situation to MK8 it's still selling really well so releasing a sequel that would replace the game makes little sense when you can make money off the userbase you already have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom