• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST2| Fami's Summer Gameguess

When will the next Direct air?

• It's going to be in May! cHaOs!

Votes: 11 4.3%
  • Patterns, man. 14th of June, 2022. The usual.

Votes: 211 81.8%
  • Nintendo will be weird again, early July.

Votes: 23 8.9%
  • Nintendo's Twitter Direct's will be the norm, Septermber 2022.

Votes: 6 2.3%
  • Geoff the Summerman will add it to Summer Gamefest

Votes: 7 2.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Could you explain what you mean by burned bridges? What happened there, I've never heard of this.
Wish Level-5 would still put out games like on DS and 3DS...
Level-5 ditched Nintendo to try to find more success with mobile and multiplatform releases while Level-5 games were treated like 1st party games in the West especially in Europe. They had 0 plans to support the Switch and that’s why it had almost 0 Level-5 games during the first years of the console lifespan compared to DS/3DS that they had multiple due to Level-5 focus shifting to mobile and Ni No Kuni 2 .

To make up for the lack of Nintendo, Level-5 was going to publish their own titles in the West but due to financial reasons they had to close the western branch and YW4 was never picked up by Nintendo due to being multiplatform killing the chances of YW4 (and Level-5 games in general) of arriving to the West.

Haven’t been following much. Any credibility to the rumor that Nintendo may break things up into smaller presentations over June?

If true what’s the justification? Why would Nintendo decide “Nintendo Directs work so well, let’s not do that lets break it up.”
I say this is almost impossible the direct has been going on for what ten years now? They won't change their format.

I've been searching for work since January. A few weeks ago I wondered if I'd have a job and if the starting date would interfere with the summer direct. Now at this point I'm pretty sure I won't have a job by that point and my only consolation is that at least a direct is coming up soon.

My prediction-

Presents announced this week or next week:
SV trailer showing off the structure of the game and the world.
Rival/Professor
3-5 new pokemon
Main Gimmick(50/50 on this one)
Box legends teased in a cinematic with a full reveal on the website ala Zacian/Zamazenta

I think thats reasonable for what they reveal and the timing of it. My guess is its the week of Jun 6th at the latest, but its gonna be announced by the week of 5/30 at the latest

Direct:
June 14th-16th(somewhere in that range)
Announced June 1st- 15th(could see it as an announcement in advance or just a normal direct timing)
not gonna guess the games on this one since its a lot of rumored stuff swirling around, but I do think we'll see new FE or new DK as one of the headliners

Level-5 ditched Nintendo to try to find more success with mobile and multiplatform releases while Level-5 games were treated like 1st party games in the West especially in Europe. They had 0 plans to support the Switch and that’s why it had almost 0 Level-5 games during the first years of the console lifespan compared to DS/3DS that they had multiple due to Level-5 focus shifting to mobile and Ni No Kuni 2 .

To make up for the lack of Nintendo, Level-5 was going to publish their own titles in the West but due to financial reasons they had to close the western branch and YW4 was never picked up by Nintendo due to being multiplatform killing the chances of YW4 (and Level-5 games in general) of arriving to the West.
Oh damn thank you! That's a really nice summary. I knew some of this stuff but honestly thought it was tied to other management failings even beforehand. Biggest hope in gaming is that they can somehow make a comeback... Layton, Yokai Watch, Fantasy Life, Inazuma I'm a fan of all of those to varying degrees. Not to mention them doing Dragon Quest VIII and IX.

Thanks god those BS 4Chan Leaks are Fake AF… but yeah at least they’re trying and they are Fun to lock at 😂

https://boards.4channel.org/v/thread/599813121/nintendo-direct-06142022

My friend was contracted to help put together the direct for next month and he told me a few things about it.

• No BOTW 2, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess instead. Wind Waker is apparently releasing first on august 26, twilight Princess coming october 14

• Ever Oasis is getting the Miitopia treatment, coming September 16

• Metroid Prime: Redux, apparently reworked controls including the ability to use joy con like the Wii controls, visually looks insane, probably up there with Luigi’s mansion in terms of visual fidelity. November 18.

• New IP from Gust called “Path of Nemonia” straight up Tales of rip-off lmfao, looks pretty good though. 2023.

• Sushi Strikers 2, same character from the first game, you now run around and collect plates instead of just sliding your finger across the screen to collect. Demo releasing shortly after the direct, releases July 8th

• Fantasy Life 2 + Fantasy Life remastered, Remastered looks similar to the work put into Miitopia and Ever Oasis, simple upres, includes the origin island dlc. Releases December 2, Fantasy Life 2 is just a logo similar to the original but with a 2, coming 2023.

• Sizzle reel featuring games getting ported, mainly WB stuff. Witcher 2, The batman games, mad max, shadow of Mordor and War collection. All coming this year.

• Naruto: The Ninja Way from Bandai, VERY similar to DBZ Kakarot, Mostly footage of Naruto running around Konoha with a cut to black with sasuke saying some edgy shit to finish the trailer. Late 2023.

• Metroid Prime 4 is the last reveal, visually similar to Prime Redux, very short trailer with Samus just walking down a dark hall, and then turning and pointing her hand cannon at the screen, she shoots, screen turns to black. March 3, 2023.
[SPOILER/]
This one is actually interesting to read

Sumer Games Fest- 17 days out
MS/Bethesda- 20 days out

I'm guessing next week is the earliest we will get an announcement from Nintendo.

Metroid Prime HD, BOTW 2 meaty-enough trailer + title reveal, WW/TP HD ports, Metroid Prime 4 teaser, NSO updates (more N64 or GBA), and Donkey Kong or Mario make this the best direct ever for me. Without Prime 4, we could still get a series revival or a pleasant surprise that could easily still have me proclaiming "GOAT DIRECT!" and that's without including stuff like a Bayonetta 3 new trailer/release date, new Fire Emblem, etc.

A direct without 2 of my 6 dreams would still be one of the best ever.

Level-5 shooting themselves in the foot by abandoning Nintendo after being called the new Square Enix during their heyday.

d9c88235c747902c19170efd3b41c8da.gif

I just realized that we could be getting a GCN lite NSO this fall since Prime 1, Wind Waker, and Twilight Princess are heavily rumored for the Switch. Those are three of the system's best games and Sunshine is already on the system.

We don't need that GCN app anyway! Yes we do Nintendo.

I don't think we'll ever get GCN on NSO. I've said it many times but games of that era are ripe for remasters. Many of them play well enough and wouldn't need a whole lot of gameplay changes for re-releases. I'm not just talking about Nintendo but the industry as a whole. We've seen this already with a few GCN/PS2/Xbox Remasters over the past few years.

Last edited:
The Level 5 thing is like the perfect example of the starts aligning against you.

Basically, biting the hand that fed you.
Your games selling less and less.
Switch taking off like a rocket.
Finally, Pokémon reaching the levels of popularity of the Pokemania days.

The Level 5 thing is like the perfect example of the starts aligning against you.

its kinda hilarious and sad that just as Yokai watch was coming off of its peak where it got close to rivaling pokemon in Japan, Pokemon had a giga explosion and a massive revitalization of interest

My favourite part of that 4chan "leak" is the Bandai Namco game (probably made by CyberConnect2) being revealed first at a Nintendo event, considering those are are almost always late ports that come a year after release on other platforms.

As much as I would like Fantasy Life come back, Level-5 is pretty much dead to me. They’re going the Mario & Luigi dev road, full steam ahead.

Wouldn’t be shocked if Nintendo doesn’t announce their E3 replacement Direct until a few days before it airs.
Hopefully it’s actually in June and not July.

My favourite part of that 4chan "leak" is the Bandai Namco game (probably made by CyberConnect2) being revealed first at a Nintendo event, considering those are are almost always late ports that come a year after release on other platforms.

CC2 already faced the reality about it last year with Demon Slayer forcing them to start working on a Switch port while still making the PS4/Xbox versions to get the Switch SKU out as soon as possible to not lose that many sales. They made a Demon Slayer game underperform in Japan that’s an accomplishment when you consider how hard is to do so

I wouldn’t expect CC2 to make the same mistake again when they have already decided to support Switch day 1 with their releases and they were the ones that pushed for the .hack Switch port, from Bamco expect always the worst though.

its kinda hilarious and sad that just as Yokai watch was coming off of its peak where it got close to rivaling pokemon in Japan, Pokemon had a giga explosion and a massive revitalization of interest
And Yokai had it's downward spiral

I don't think we'll ever get GCN on NSO. I've said it many times but games of that era are ripe for remasters. Many of them play well enough and wouldn't need a whole lot of gameplay changes for re-releases. I'm not just talking about Nintendo but the industry as a whole. We've seen this already with a few GCN/PS2/Xbox Remasters over the past few years.
I agree (when it comes to NSO on the OG Switch at least), but not for the same reason. If Nintendo wanted to remaster GC games to the Switch, they would've done something already. I think the reason for the absence of GameCube games on NSO is actually hardware restrictions. We might see these games on NSO when the next generation of the Switch arrives.

Last edited:

I think this might have a good shot at making an appearance.
Gorgeous art, and I'm not as down on FuRyu as some (their 3DS/Vita output was great imo), but I don't know about Three Rings. Also, that title...

I agree, but not for the same reason. If Nintendo wanted to remaster GC games to the Switch, they would've done something already. I think the reason for the absence of GameCube games on NSO is actually hardware restrictions. We might see these games on NSO when the next generation of the Switch arrives.

I'm not saying Nintendo is going to remaster a bunch of GCN games. I'm just saying they would rather sit on them for potential remasters, whether it's on Switch or a future console, than dump a whole bunch of them onto a subscription service or sell them individually for a cheap cost. Basically, they will want to eventually sell some of these games for a higher price than sell them for cheap like with the NES, SNES, and N64 games.

I just re-watched the DioField Chronicles trailer and looked at their website. So, I am starting to think that if DioField does release in 2022 and so does Marvel Midnight Sons & Mario Rabbids 2, then there will be no additional Fire Emblem in 2022. (Which I always found unlikely).

DioField already looked like Square Enix version of Fire Emblem, then I see this game has some of the staff that made Fire Emblem Awakening. Which instantly made my eyebrow raise. It will be interesting to see more revealed in the coming weeks on this game.
I completely forgot about DioField. Hope we see some more of it soon. Looked rather promising, tbh, even though I am not the biggest RTS fan.

Wawa already taking over the country. Tomorrow they’re going to announce they’re taking over Pokémon. this acquisitions stuff has gone TOO FAR!

Last edited:
I really hope that if you live in a country with gas stations named “Wawa”, you only pronounce “Wawa” with the Wario voice

“– Babe, I’m outta gas, I need to go to…

– Don’t say it, I’m so tired of this sh-

WA-WA

To please my pattern trained brain, how long before the actual Direct airs does Nate usually post these polls?
I don’t think there’s a necessary pattern in terms of when he post it to when it happens. It’s more like when he posts it that means it’s going to happen, basically.

When he put the Indies Presentation poll up a a couple weeks back it was happening that same week.

via GamesBeat Decides and also GrubbSnax (?) - Grubb hears about multiple Nintendo showcases, but (I assume) speculates that it's something like a Partner Direct or game specific Directs. He emphasized that it wasn't worth reporting on at this stage.

Where did we land on this?

The Partner and mostly game specific Directs came out of peak COVID-19 troubles, and fan reception of them was incredibly poor. They might have seen plenty of success during 2020, but it certainly had nothing to do with their advertising execution that year.

I just thought of the possibility of the Direct airing sooner or later than the usual mid June week, like June 14th this year. Normally we're pretty confident in September Directs happening in the first week or two but the one from September 2021 aired in the 4th week of September, on the 23rd of that month. Especially since there's no actual E3 this year, maybe Nintendo decides "Okay, we're sticking to June but since there's no E3 let's do a week earlier/later?"

via GamesBeat Decides and also GrubbSnax (?) - Grubb hears about multiple Nintendo showcases, but (I assume) speculates that it's something like a Partner Direct or game specific Directs. He emphasized that it wasn't worth reporting on at this stage.

Where did we land on this?

The Partner and mostly game specific Directs came out of peak COVID-19 troubles, and fan reception of them was incredibly poor. They might have seen plenty of success during 2020, but it certainly had nothing to do with their advertising execution that year.
He doesn't really speculate or delve into it at all and continually emphasized how nothing of a rumor it is, so bs basically

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please read the threadmarked staff post before posting about rumors or insiders. Do not beg insiders for reassurance or tag individuals asking for more hints. Snarky or mean-spirited responses will not be tolerated.

Back
Top Bottom