• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

StarTopic Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST|

When will the next general Direct (full or mini) be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon

Fox Brigade
Pronouns
He/Him
TOXAnd6.png

Welcome everyone to Famiboards' first Nintendo Direct Speculation ST!

Before I get into my explanation of the thread and its events, I have one topic on which I would like to muse for a moment: who invented the Direct thread?

In private I have occasionally said jokingly that I created the Direct threads, but of course my influence was not that strong. The first Nintendo Direct Speculation thread was created by @Kevin360, and by that token he is the OG DIrect OP. However, he was not the architect of these threads and their content, instead merely volunteering to write and operate the thread itself. The post that ordained its creation, colloquially called the charter at times, was communicated by a member of ResetEra site staff. We're much closer now to the true creator of the Direct thread, as the requirements laid out in this brief charter guided every OP that followed. However, that site always had a reactive rather than proactive staff, and the decision to create a new thread did not come from within. Instead it came from a member of the community, put-upon by the endless shitposting in his carefully curated first-party thread. Yes, I contend that the true creator of the Nintendo Direct Speculation threads is fittingly none other than @TheMoon, who clearly laid out a direction for the threads in his first request for their creation. I and many others have merely carried the torch.

And carry that torch I shall, once again and until we are exalted by an announcement. This is the first major change from the previous series of threads, so allow me to break down how this will work.

The New Direct Thread
This is, as you've already read, Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST Q1 2022|. This thread is not designed to continue throughout the year. Instead, it will continue until either a full-length general Nintendo Direct is announced or we reach March 31st without one. This deadline may be extended if the community demands, but the general idea is solid: this thread will remain open until a Direct or a deadline, at which point it will close. A new thread, Nintendo Direct Speculation |ST Q3 2022|, is planned for fall.

A key takeaway here is that Direct Mini will not put an end to this thread; as exciting as it may end up being, it will not satiate the expectations of a full spring Direct and we will have no choice but to... y'know. A Direct Mini will have ramifications for the events that I have planned and will detail below, so pay close attention if you're curious.

#TeamDirect
We've all made our Direct allegiances clear in the past. Who could forget the unending war between Team January and Team February? Like Coke and Pepsi or Nintendo and SEGA, the allegiances run deep. So this season I'm talking that friendly rivalry to the next level with #TeamDirect.

The rules are simple. You will all have until 11:59 PM eastern time on Friday, January 7th to choose and align with one of three designated Teams: #TeamJanuary, #TeamFebruary, or #TeamMarch. All you have to do is @ me in a post clearly designating your team and I'll add you to that team's roster.

These teams are for the first full or Mini general Direct of the year. If there is a Direct Mini in January, for example, #TeamJanuary will win.

Every member of the winning team will be entered into a randomly-drawn raffle for 5 USD in eShop credit (or local equivalent).

Want to take your allegiance to the next level? Change your forum tag to your team's hashtag (e.g. "#TeamJanuary", "#TeamFebruary", or "#TeamMarch") before your post @-ing me and keep it that way until the thread ends. If you win the raffle you'll receive a bonus 5 USD (or local equivalent) with your prize!

Thread Guidelines
At long last, let's go over some boilerplate Nintendo Direct Speculation info that I have circumvented in my fervor to share details about my events.

This thread is for discussion, speculation, and hype regarding Nintendo's first Direct of 2022 and all of the content that it may contain. This means that there will be a broad variety of topics discussed, including those that may overlap with first-party development or hardware speculation. However, anything that is significant to Nintendo's 2022 strategy is, for all intents and purposes, relevant to this thread.

Having often myself failed to carry myself in a dignified and respectful manner, it feels hypocritical for me to provide any guidance on conduct in this thread. You all know the rules of the site. If you don't, there's a link at the end of this post. Personally, one of my New Year's Resolutions is to be nicer on the internet, and I imagine many of you may be striving to do the same. Regardless, just don't do anything stupid and don't get yourself banned. Be nice to new people. Be nice to lurkers. Be nice to insiders.

Yes, be nice to insiders. We've all been frustrated by leaks that don't quite pan out in the past. Some of us have even been petulant babies about it, myself included. But please don't come into this thread to harass the community veterans with industry contacts. Sonic says that's no good.

Links
Nintendo General Discussion |ST4 Jan. 2022| Resurrections
Future Nintendo Hardware & Technology Speculation and Discussion
The Famiboards Fantasy Critic 2022 Thread
Famiboards Mission Statement
Famiboards Site Rules

Last edited:
I'll go first!

I, Ryuichi "Raccoon" Rakunagi, devote myself to #TeamFebruary, from now until by Direct do we part. I will always support my February brethren across the site. We are united. We are strong. We are #TeamFebruary.

As much as I love the optimism inherent in the Team January push, I have to admit I just don't see a full Direct happening in the same month Nintendo will be focusing on Pokemon Legends. Therefore I pledge #TeamFebruary, alongside our furry fearless leader, @Raccoon.
(also, the "forum tag" mentioned in the ST is what's listed as "custom title" in our profile settings, right?)

Give me Xenoblade 3 and Metroid Prime HD and it'll be one of my favorite directs ever, bonus points for a prime 4 teaser. I don't want to enter the raffle, others could use the gift card far more than I could, so I'm just speculating second week of February.

Also, great thread/video, but your mic is a bit too low.

Last edited:
I do believe February is more likely, but since Team January always wins I can't see how I could abandon it

Though I'll wait until closer to the deadline to commit

Let the madness begin.

@Raccoon

I, Cyrus, devote myself to #TeamFebruary, from now until by Direct do we part. I will always support my February brethren across the site. We are united. We are strong. We are #TeamFebruary.

Everybody will be waiting a month for the Feb direct where a new FE and Xenoblade will be announced along with the release date for Kirby and Splatoon 3.

So basically the best direct of the year :)

The time has come for them to show the world their next masterpiece.

4-5 years of development (by the time the game comes out)
Bigger budget
Biggest momentum they've ever had going to a new reveal

Time for the industry to show their respect to the premiere modern open world design developer

Ud5nJj5.gif

Last edited:
Excellent OP @Raccoon. February is the normal and expected option, so because of this I will be on #TeamMarch because Nintendo never does what is expected.

After years of Gaf and Era lurking, I'm finally ready to participate in an actual Direct Speculation Thread. How fun!

You have me on your side, @Raccoon. Let's go Team February!

I’m not currently planning on joining the teams/auctions, but I’m very excited to join in the fun!

I think the most interesting thing to consider as we start is where Kirby falls and if there is a February game or not. I’m leaning towards Kirby in March and the February game being an eshop release. I think we have to hear about Kirby in January and we’ll hear about it early. If it’s the first two weeks it’s a mini. If it is say, January 20th - February 7, it’s the full direct. Going to be exciting either way. Xenoblade 3 is getting announced!!

The time has come for them to show the world their next masterpiece.

4-5 years of development
Bigger budget
Biggest momentum they've ever had going to a new reveal

Time for the industry to show their respect to the premiere modern open world design developer

Ud5nJj5.gif
I assume 4 considering they probably started working on the next game after Torna.

3.5 potentially with Covid. Either way, its time for them to shine!

I assume 4 considering they probably started working on the next game after Torna.

3.5 potentially with Covid. Either way, its time for them to shine!
By the time it comes out, I expect about 4 years of proper development, like you said beginning after Torna. With covid, yeah maybe 3.5 year equivalent, hopefully more.

But the game most likely started preproduction during Torna's development since everything was already written and a lot of its assets already produced from XBC2's production

Either way, this is the longest by far it's ever been between the release of a Xenoblade game and the announcement of its next iteration. Xenoblade 2's entire production cycle was shorter than the waiting of announcement for XBC3, which is super exciting because I can only imagine what they've been cooking up especially after learning their mistakes with XBC2's short home staff. A big team internally + outsourcing for more manpower = 🤩

By the time it comes out, I expect about 4 years of proper development, like you said beginning after Torna. With covid, yeah maybe 3.5 year equivalent, hopefully more.

But the game most likely started preproduction during Torna's development since everything was already written and a lot of its assets already produced from XBC2's production

Either way, this is the longest by far it's ever been between the release of a Xenoblade game and the announcement of its next iteration. Xenoblade 2's entire production cycle was shorter than the waiting of announcement of XBC3, which is super exciting because I can only imagine what they've been cooking up especially after learning their mistakes with XBC2's short home staff. A big team internally + outsourcing for more manpower = 🤩
For XB2, that's because it was in development at the same time as X. Started in early 2014 iirc, so a late 2017 release made sense.

Between Torna and the possible release date of a new one (I don't want to call it 3 until I see it), it could easily come out in fall of 2022, which is about 4 years, or 3.5 with Covid factored in, which is exactly the same timeframe as XB2. I want to hope its not announced later in 2022 for a 2023 release, but we don't leave this year without seeing what Monolith is doing at least.

I am #TeamFebruary. Please and thank you @Raccoon.

Is 8 picks perhaps too many? If there is even 20 people participating, that is 160 games. That's a lot!

I am definitely #TeamFebruary this year @Raccoon . Which probably means that now it'll actually be January, but that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

I think it’ll be within the first 5-6 months of the year. Probably February - a week or two after Arceus. There are things like Kirby that need to get a release date and hype if they’re actually coming out soon.

For XB2, that's because it was in development at the same time as X. Started in early 2014 iirc, so a late 2017 release made sense.

Between Torna and the possible release date of a new one (I don't want to call it 3 until I see it), it could easily come out in fall of 2022, which is about 4 years, or 3.5 with Covid factored in, which is exactly the same timeframe as XB2. I want to hope its not announced later in 2022 for a 2023 release, but we don't leave this year without seeing what Monolith is doing at least.
Yeah but I'd assume one of those 3 years was just pre-production because they were still working on XBX until April 2015 and then switched over. So probably about 2.5 years when not including pre-production.

Since Torna was development complete in August (since games usually have a 1 month buffer between going gold and actually releasing), it has already been right now almost 3.5 years of actual production. Another .5-1 year if you include pre-production before Torna that started most likely in December 2017.

Seriously, I just want to see it. In fact, I'd be okay if it got delayed to 2023 as long as 1. We see it this year 2. It gets launched with Dane hardware for a technical boost. That'd be huge for the franchise to be one of the big titles for the Switch 2. I'm expecting to see it in the February direct

Quick nitpicky rule question, @Raccoon: does our tag have to be only our team hashtag, or can it simply contain our team hashtag (among other words) and still count?

I think it’ll be within the first 5-6 months of the year. Probably February - a week or two after Arceus. There are things like Kirby that need to get a release date and hype if they’re actually coming out soon.
Is this just a typo and you meant to say 'weeks', or is it a sneaky way of covering literally all possible times up to and including E3? :p

I pledge allegiance to the 𝙛𝙪𝙘𝙠 𝙣𝙤 𝙄 𝙙𝙤𝙣’𝙩 I offer my ꙅuꙅ soul februwayways ⓝⓞⓟⓔ team janiel stays’s win𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝖈𝖑𝖔𝖘𝖊 merch?? merch me, fucking merch me before I have a second to 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘢𝘺 any shred of time flesh longer I am sleepy and ᴄʜᴀᴏᴛɪᴄᴀʟʟʏ ɪɴᴄᴏʜᴇʀᴇɴᴛ

hash tag march marchness mother madders @Raccoon me like one of your french theys

I pledge allegiance to the 𝙛𝙪𝙘𝙠 𝙣𝙤 𝙄 𝙙𝙤𝙣’𝙩 I offer my ꙅuꙅ soul februwayways ⓝⓞⓟⓔ team janiel stays’s win𝖓𝖔𝖙 𝖊𝖛𝖊𝖓 𝖈𝖑𝖔𝖘𝖊 merch?? merch me, fucking merch me before I have a second to 𝘣𝘦 𝘵𝘩𝘪𝘴 𝘸𝘢𝘺 any shred of time flesh longer I am sleepy and ᴄʜᴀᴏᴛɪᴄᴀʟʟʏ ɪɴᴄᴏʜᴇʀᴇɴᴛ

hash tag march marchness mother madders @Raccoon me like one of your french theys
Now it's a party, wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom