• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase announced for June 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay. Okay. Maybe it’s just me and I am an Idiot most of the time.

But if there’s a 1st party direct.

Wouldn’t some Partners feel burned to being shoved aside to a smaller scale direct? Yes, the direct is getting favorable reception. But it wasn’t as “eventful” in the end and that helps(?) a lot for these games. Especially since it’s not live-streamed. I admittedly skipped ahead a few times in games I didn’t even give 2 seconds a chance on.

while we usually say, nintneod games will overshadow the rest of the games. Is that really true? I feel the more the direct is liked, the more smaller games still get noticed.

Granted. I’m not really arguing that this is a terrible idea. I’m just wondering if Nintendo’s partners are okay with this style, cause I do see some benefits. I think it’s an interesting discussion.
It is curious, I wonder how Partners feel if they buy advertising slots in a Direct and then end up getting put into a Partner Showcase instead. Or do they perhaps get notified that they're going to be put into a Showcase beforehand?

The fact that insiders who get their info from third parties only seem to know that the game will be in any kind of Direct, Partner or otherwise, would indicate that the partners don't know but, idk, that feels like a bad move for building business relationships

Wouldn’t some Partners feel burned to being shoved aside to a smaller scale direct? Yes, the direct is getting favorable reception. But it wasn’t as “eventful” in the end and that helps(?) a lot for these games. Especially since it’s not live-streamed. I admittedly skipped ahead a few times in games I didn’t even give 2 seconds a chance on.

while we usually say, nintneod games will overshadow the rest of the games. Is that really true? I feel the more the direct is liked, the more smaller games still get noticed.

Granted. I’m not really arguing that this is a terrible idea. I’m just wondering if Nintendo’s partners are okay with this style, cause I do see some benefits. I think it’s an interesting discussion.
I think that being overshadowed is today a bigger concern in some companies and that's why they know to avoid doing all the conferences at the same time.

Let's be honest, when they show BOTW 2 nobody talks about anything more

In the end third parties don't care about the "general perception", they care only about the perception of their games. It is Nintendo who has to think about the general perception

New games we didn't know about before today coming day 1 on switch
Super Bomberman R2
Lorelai
Blanc
Doraemon Story of Seasons 2
Harvestella
Railgrade
Little Noah
Pretty sure we already knew about Railgrade.

This is why some people, myself included, didn't really enjoy the direct. There were only 6 new games: 3 indy games, Bomberman and Doraemon sequels, and Harvestella. All of which are pretty niche, and all of which but Harvestella are pretty small.

In past Partner Showcases we've gotten the first look at SMT5, the reveal of Monster Hunter Rise, and the gameplay reveal of Age of Calamity. Today's announcements were pretty tame compared to those.

I was wondering something on kind of the same note, the notion that this direct was because Nintendo had “made a deal to present third party games in June then E3 fell through,” implies that what we got today was like a monkey’s paw for developers thinking they were gonna get a big E3 direct presentation lol
It’s either that or no Direct. I think companies still find it useful to be apart of a showcase like this. Reception seems decent to positive overall so they have nothing to really worry about. I think Nintendo should go more of this like they do Inidie Directs.

Pretty sure we already knew about Railgrade.

This is why some people, myself included, didn't really enjoy the direct. There were only 6 new games: 3 indy games, Bomberman and Doraemon sequels, and Harvestella. All of which are pretty niche, and all of which but Harvestella are pretty small.

In past Partner Showcases we've gotten the first look at SMT5, the reveal of Monster Hunter Rise, and the gameplay reveal of Age of Calamity. Today's announcements were pretty tame compared to those.
So it goes from "newly announced day 1 on switch" to "game we knew about that will be day 1 on Switch". My mistake, still not an old port, still doesn't make people saying the direct was "mostly ports" correct. And again you're bring up the perceived quality of these announcements like it's a universal truth. A new Bomberman is a far bigger deal for me to Monster Hunter Rise, SMT5, or Age if Calamity, but fuck me for being excited for it.

Today's Direct already has 1.4 million views and is currently the #1 trending video on all of YouTube today, so I'm sure these third parties are happy with the awareness they're getting. A Direct is a Direct and is always going to get viewer engagement regardless of branding.

People deadass expect a console with PS3/X360 specs to run PS5/XBSX games and it's baffling. Or they expect Nintendo to abandon the affordable portable hardware model and chase after whatever the fuck Sony and Microsoft are doing. Whack.
The Switch does not have PS3/X360 specs. I agree with the gist of what you're saying.

So it goes from "newly announced day 1 on switch" to "game we knew about that will be day 1 on Switch". My mistake, still not an old port, still doesn't make people saying the direct was "mostly ports" correct. And again you're bring up the perceived quality of these announcements like it's a universal truth. A new Bomberman is a far bigger deal for me to Monster Hunter Rise, SMT5, or Age if Calamity, but fuck me for being excited for it.
I didn't claim the direct was mostly old ports, or that people claiming that are correct. Nor am I claiming you can't be excited by what was shown. I'm pointing out that there wasn't a lot of new announcements, and the few we got are pretty niche compared to things we've gotten from past partner showcases. It's reasonable for a lot of people to be disappointed by that.

I didn't claim the direct was mostly old ports, or that people claiming that are correct. Nor am I claiming you can't be excited by what was shown. I'm pointing out that there wasn't a lot of new announcements, and the few we got are pretty niche compared to things we've gotten from past partner showcases. It's reasonable for a lot of people to be disappointed by that.
DQ Treasures/Harvestella are as big of games as SMT V, it maybe that they are not games you like as much which is totally fine btw. MH:Rise is just on another level when it comes to 3rd parties games announced on Directs so it isnt fair to expect such big announcements in general

Society if Sonic the hedgehog spawns in your city

unknown.png

DQ Treasures/Harvestella are as big of games as SMT V, it maybe that they are not games you like as much which is totally fine btw. MH:Rise is just on another level when it comes to 3rd parties games announced on Directs so it isnt fair to expect such big announcements in general
We already knew about DQ Treasures, and I don't see how you claim a brand new farming sim IP is as big a deal as the 5th mainline game in a 35 year old RPG franchise that sold over a million units.

We already knew about DQ Treasures, and I don't see how you claim a brand new farming sim IP is as big a deal as the 5th mainline game in a 35 year old RPG franchise that sold over a million units.
We also already knew about SMT V and Harvestella is a brand new IP with decent sized budget by SE that they have decided to reveal on a Direct and make console exclusive, farming games on Switch have really high ceillings sales wise it will probably sell 1M+ on the Switch alone just like SMT V.

It's a little bit better than those, but it's not quite PS4/XBO level.
I guess. I'm not experienced in making hardware comparisons but with Switch having ~10x the shaders and 12x the RAM of a PS3 I'm personally hesitant to say it's a little bit better. In a lot of PS3/360/Wii U ports the Switch uses up its rendering budget by outputting them at 1080p (only making docked comparisons), the Assassin's Creed games come to mind. But yes, still behind the PS4/XBO quite a bit.

Sorry, I'm only harping on it because there are more than a lot of unironic posts that claim NS <= PS3/360 which muddies discussion about what ports are feasible, with doubts over whether x or y last-gen game could get a port or not. I still agree with you, we shouldn't expect a lot of third-party day-and-date support with these specs for higher-end games. In fact Virtuos is handling the Nier Automata port, which shows that PS4/XBO ports still need the help of specific studios experienced with the hardware. But considering they got it running at 1080p 30, I'm impressed.

We also already knew about SMT V and Harvestella is a brand new IP with decent sized budget by SE that they have decided to reveal on a Direct and make console exclusive, farming games on Switch have really high ceillings sales wise it will probably sell 1M+ on the Switch alone just like SMT V.
True, but the only thing we had seen of SMT5 at that point was the title reveal from the Switch presentation in 2017. The Partner Showcase trailer was effectively the reveal.

Are these types of JRPG/farming hybrids really that popular? I'm only familiar with Rune Factory and Harvest Moon off the top of my head and I don't think those were big sellers.

Are these types of JRPG/farming hybrids really that popular? I'm only familiar with Rune Factory and Harvest Moon off the top of my head and I don't think those were big sellers.
Yep they are quite big sellers Story of Seasons new entry(Harvest moon new name due to legal reasons) sold 1M+ and Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin sold also 1M+

I think it's this:

"This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Metroid but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Metroid was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement."

I had to do some digging but I finally found the Nintendo E3 2015 reaction that has lived in my head for years, from that one old site:

"I was literally shaking with anger during that conference. Tears formed in my eyes and my fists were clenched. "Announce something," I shrieked at my computer. My mom knocked on my bedroom door and had to ask if I was ok. Then, they started showing me a bunch of losers playing instruments dressed as Mario and I just turned it off. It was actually unbelievable.

Now, I'm 31 years old and this was, without a doubt, the worst conference I've ever seen in my life. It's clear that Nintendo is not just done with the Wii U but done with the company. There is no recovering from a conference that bad. They'll talk about the NX at next E3, but people will ignore it after remembering Blast Balls.

I loved this company and put my heart and soul into dedicating my gaming life to them. But now, I have nothing. I'm an empty shell."

New theory:

Nintendo used the lack of E3 to test how third-party news does in isolation when it doesn't have to 'compete' against Nintendo reveals in the same broadcast. You could argue 2020 was an opportunity for this, but I'd say that wasn't the deliberate intention of the Partner Showcases in 2020; they were more to honour existing marketing agreements. This time, the deliberate strategy is to see if more third-party titles enjoy coverage and engagement without Nintendo's titles in the conversation.

New theory:

Nintendo used the lack of E3 to test how third-party news does in isolation when it doesn't have to 'compete' against Nintendo reveals in the same broadcast. You could argue 2020 was an opportunity for this, but I'd say that wasn't the deliberate intention of the Partner Showcases in 2020; they were more to honour existing marketing agreements. This time, the deliberate strategy is to see if more third-party titles enjoy coverage and engagement without Nintendo's titles in the conversation.
It was a great partner direct. Stacked too. Its only missing a big surprise exclusive but i assumed anything like that is being saved as a Switch 2 title

I guess. I'm not experienced in making hardware comparisons but with Switch having ~10x the shaders and 12x the RAM of a PS3 I'm personally hesitant to say it's a little bit better. In a lot of PS3/360/Wii U ports the Switch uses up its rendering budget by outputting them at 1080p (only making docked comparisons), the Assassin's Creed games come to mind. But yes, still behind the PS4/XBO quite a bit.

Sorry, I'm only harping on it because there are more than a lot of unironic posts that claim NS <= PS3/360 which muddies discussion about what ports are feasible, with doubts over whether x or y last-gen game could get a port or not. I still agree with you, we shouldn't expect a lot of third-party day-and-date support with these specs for higher-end games. In fact Virtuos is handling the Nier Automata port, which shows that PS4/XBO ports still need the help of specific studios experienced with the hardware. But considering they got it running at 1080p 30, I'm impressed.
From now on I'm not even gonna bother to point at numbers of shaders or amount of RAM to argue Switch's comparison to PS3/X360. I'm just gonna post this instead:
FWV8cp5aAAEajPJ.jpg:large

There aren't many games as big as Monster Hunter Rise on any platform, period. Last time we got a number it was >9 million copies sold. Using it as a benchmark of what should be announced means 99% of all game announcements are worthless or not hype.

There aren't many games as big as Monster Hunter Rise on any platform, period. Last time we got a number it was >9 million copies sold. Using it as a benchmark of what should be announced means 99% of all game announcements are worthless or not hype.
Outside of the annual/near-annual mega-franchises, or Nintendo and Sony's own big hits, yeah, there are very few games as big as this.

The other point I'd make is that, in the sixth year, Switch's software ecosystem is pretty well defined by commercial realities as much as technological reality: middle-tier titles, exclusives from some publishers, late ports of older home console games, and indies. I'd personally hoped we might get one 'big' surprise, but knew it was unlikely.

Based upon what we know behind the scenes, yeeting out the first party stuff until their more confident isn't too crazy.

Everybody 1-2 Switch is apparently a unpopular disaster behind closed doors

Advance Wars 1+2 still has the Ukraine war to be sensitive about

Bayonetta 3 might not make 2022, and if it's not able should the already finished new Fire Emblem become a 2022 game instead of a 2023 game

Metroid Prime Remake is seemingly the only thing we know of Nintendo has cooking that is for sure ready to go this year.
I mean, if you took everything from the Mini, piled on Metroid, Bayo3, Fire Emblem, a Pokemon trailer, and maybe a surprise or two (nothing big), you’d have a reasonably decent General Direct. Advance Wars and Everybody Switch were always bound to be Twitter drop fodder anyway.

The silence from Nintendo is just bizarre considering they have Bayo3 and apparently Metroid dropping this year yet they wont talk about them

I think it's this:

"This reveal might be the biggest insult by a major gaming company in the past decade. I literally screamed "FUCK YOU" at my screen. I knew they said it wasn't going to be Metroid but the hype they created made me think they were just going to surprise us with it anyway. Absolutely unacceptable to do this to us. Once they knew Metroid was expected, they should've cancelled the announcement."
I always thought that post was satirical. I can't believe I forgot one of the all time greats, and that the OP was serious lol

Yep they are quite big sellers Story of Seasons new entry(Harvest moon new name due to legal reasons) sold 1M+ and Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin sold also 1M+
Just thinking out loud, is Harvestella the biggest budget "harvest moon" inspired game ever made? I was gonna say biggest budget farming sim but I have no idea how much money is pumped into THE farming simulator games on a yearly basis.

so the Snitch.

He doesn’t care for Nintendo or he’s not actually a YouTube employee and can’t get access to Nintendo stuff?

Why am I asking? Cause I just remember I saw a lot of mentions that if it was a partner direct. They would leak everything.

But that didn’t happen.

In other words. I’m bored and show me Fire Emblem, Nintendo.

Just posting it here as a reminder:

Say, is this a full remake of the original game or simply a port with extra features?

I mean, if you took everything from the Mini, piled on Metroid, Bayo3, Fire Emblem, a Pokemon trailer, and maybe a surprise or two (nothing big), you’d have a reasonably decent General Direct. Advance Wars and Everybody Switch were always bound to be Twitter drop fodder anyway.

The silence from Nintendo is just bizarre considering they have Bayo3 and apparently Metroid dropping this year yet they wont talk about them
Yeah this is what they would’ve done if we had E3. Those extra first party announcements would’ve been here and people would’ve called it a great E3

Because they don't need to yet. Bayonetta 3 could get a new trailer and a release date and it would be fine. Metroid is a remaster, it could be announced a month ahead of time and it wouldn't make a difference. The only games that need updates are Splatoon (which will get its own Direct) and Pokemon (which is always separate). A new Fire Emblem just came out so it's understandable that they don't want to reveal the next one right now, Advance Wars isn't coming for a while, and 3-4 Switch will probably get cancelled.

Just posting it here as a reminder:

Say, is this a full remake of the original game or simply a port with extra features?
I believe it's a full remake. At the very least it's a large scale remaster.

Just thinking out loud, is Harvestella the biggest budget "harvest moon" inspired game ever made? I was gonna say biggest budget farming sim but I have no idea how much money is pumped into THE farming simulator games on a yearly basis.
It probably has the biggest budget of any Farming+RPG game yep, which makes sense with how much the genre is growing especially on Switch/PC a big IP like this has high potential

@NateDrake What are the chances of that possible First Party presentation taking the "Nintendo Spotlight" branding? I've skimmed through a few differently branded Nintendo presentations and the NIntendo Spotlight one was the one which had basically no third party stuff (apart from FIFA 18 in the beginning montage and Rocket League later on). Don't know if Nintendo cares about branding when it comes to a presentation with only (or mostly Nintendo things) but maybe they bring back that branding for the July/Summer thing?

New theory:

You can see where they learned from the mistakes of those presentations. While the intention may have been different between the two they definitely improved upon it for this showing.

@NateDrake What are the chances of that possible First Party presentation taking the "Nintendo Spotlight" branding? I've skimmed through a few differently branded Nintendo presentations and the NIntendo Spotlight one was the one which had basically no third party stuff (apart from FIFA 18 in the beginning montage and Rocket League later on). Don't know if Nintendo cares about branding when it comes to a presentation with only (or mostly Nintendo things) but maybe they bring back that branding for the July/Summer thing?
dude..... dont tag him..........

my thoughts about this Direct:

6l6opz.jpg

No seriously...
it was really much better then I dared to expect. Could have been easily a normal direct with 1-3 First Party games.
Some fun and neat "surprises".
The games I am most interested in are Persona 3-5. Really cool to finally see them on the Switch.

Because they don't need to yet. Bayonetta 3 could get a new trailer and a release date and it would be fine. Metroid is a remaster, it could be announced a month ahead of time and it wouldn't make a difference. The only games that need updates are Splatoon (which will get its own Direct) and Pokemon (which is always separate). A new Fire Emblem just came out so it's understandable that they don't want to reveal the next one right now, Advance Wars isn't coming for a while, and 3-4 Switch will probably get cancelled.
They also dont need to randomly announce Bayo and Metroid’s release dates like that.

There’s no reason why they couldn’t have stuck to their usual plan this year, that’s why its baffling that they’re holding out on us like this

I never want to see the word "remake" and "remaster" in the same sentence again.

...I still don't know what the difference is between the two.
I've always believed:

Remaster: same game, beginning with the same code, but with textures, some priority assets, and lighting/rendering updated to make the game prettier, whereas

Remake: completely new build, rebuilt from scratch, with same story/characters/setting/gameplay as original game

However, when Xenoblade DE was new I was rather consistently dogpiled for saying so and now I'm often afraid to even comment about it.
😅👍

I think they may prefer it. If this was a full direct and they showed Metroid Prime, some BOTW2, etc that wound be the entire conversation. I honestly think most of us would forget half of the smaller scale 3rd party games shown. Having a presentation like this it seems like each title is getting a discussion

They also dont need to randomly announce Bayo and Metroid’s release dates like that.

There’s no reason why they couldn’t have stuck to their usual plan this year, that’s why its baffling that they’re holding out on us like this
They just don't like us like that, man.

It probably has the biggest budget of any Farming+RPG game yep, which makes sense with how much the genre is growing especially on Switch/PC a big IP like this has high potential
The addition of a big core conflict and progressive plot means that it's definitely the first of the genre I've seen that's actually starting to peak my interest.

It's not just farming and life sim because it's pleasant and you want to chill after a hard day of work without any stress.

It's farming to prevent THE APOCALYPSE.

They’re probably trying something different since they weren’t tied to E3. Third party now and first party later since the first party announcements aren’t big.

Or there’s an elephant in the room that’s made Nintendo do something different…

If needed Nintendo can do a mini-Direct for 1st party stuff, Twitter drops seems unlikely when they have quite a bit of things to date/announce for this year

I never want to see the word "remake" and "remaster" in the same sentence again.

...I still don't know what the difference is between the two.
Remasters are things like Twilight Princess HD. Typically better resolution, models, framerate, or other improvements of that nature. They usually build off of the base game in most respects.
maxresdefault.jpg

Remakes are things like FF7R. Usually taking the base game and mostly redoing everything about it. The most common is graphics but gameplay & story can completely change as well.
ff7comp-br-1559609129219-1280w-1574726898279.jpg

The in between is something like XC1DE. Where they use the base game and keep a lot of the elements. However some stuff only get upgrades. While others get completely redone.
EDuKV3zWkAsjRSO.jpg

You can also think of it in film terms:
-Lion King (Original 1994)
-Remaster (4k, 16:9 etc.)
-Remake (Live action 2019)

When people are talking about the alleged Prime 1 R it is usual the third option with some extras on top of it from recent rumours.

Last edited:
Just for a heads-up: what are the newest theories on why Nintendo just didn't do a normal direct? Hardware announcements?
Because this "Mini" was packed as hell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom