• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

News Nintendo Direct Mini: Partner Showcase announced for June 28th

Status
Not open for further replies.
There wasn't a ton in this for me personally but a lot of the games looked really interesting. I'd say this was a great show, easily the best partner showcase.

It's not about console warring and who gets the port when. It's about the fact that most people who had interest in playing the game did so in April 2017. That's more than 5 years ago! If that's not a late port, then what are we doing here?
I mean, I'd like to think there's a fair amount of people who were interested in the game but not "will buy a PS4 for that" interested. Or maybe that's just me?

OK, so after all the fuss... that was actually pretty good. 6/10 on a more general scale, and 8/10 in the context of a Partner Direct/Mini Direct. I'm in for Portal (at that price? 100%), Mario + Rabbids 2, maybe Persona 5 Royal, and the game with the two animals. I might get Sonic Frontiers... but definitely not on Switch lol. I'd go for NieR: Automata but I think my days of buying late ports simply because it'd be cool to have them on Switch are over.

It genuinely felt like Nintendo simply removed the first-party stuff from a General Direct and stuck all that was left into this. The volume of announcements, the type of announcements and more just scream that to me; it didn't seem like something Nintendo just threw together due to a few pre-existing third party deals. If I were more hopeful, I'd believe that Nintendo's got something big cooked up. Since I'm not, I'm just gonna believe that Nintendo's gonna do a few Twitter Drops between now and a possible September Direct.

Just wish it was live-streamed, so we could have watched it together. Instead I, perhaps foolishly, went onto the youtuber Nathaniel Bandy's stream (it was the first one to pop up on Youtube), and that was painful. Guy knew absolutely nothing about anything and was talking over everything.
For youtube commentary streams of directs or stuff: good vibes gaming. they know all the stuff well enough. but if you want a stream where nobody is talking over stuff... well then there is the option to watch just the video i guess.

I don't even know if I want to do this but I checked Resetera to see commentary there.

50% of people there are shitting on all games and the direct and clearly with salty-ish commentary like "oh just switch, well bad decision", or "oh now switch gets this game so late" etc.

I was permabanned for far less than the console warriors in that forum :p

There are basically two types of Nintendo fan reactions to this kind of direct.

The ones for whom late ports (or any ports) can be a welcome surprise, and those who have zero interest in any ports ever, for whom they are an entire waste of time.

I'm the latter - I don't replay games and don't buy ports. So you can imagine how that was for me.

So, you mean to say you enjoyed nearly 80% of the show? Here is what was a port:

List of games and platforms:
MH:Rise Sunbreaker (PC/NSW)
Nier:Automata (late Switch port)
Lorelei and the Laser Eyes (PC/NSW)
Super Bomberman R 2 (NSW/PS4/XB/PC)
MEGAMAN BATTLE NETWORK COLLECTION (NSW/PS4/PC)
PAC-MAN WORLD Re-Pac (NSW/PS/XB/PC)
Blanc (NSW/PC)
Return to Monkey Island (NSW/PC)
Mario+Rabbids Sparks of Hope (NSW)
Little Noah: Scion of Paradise (NSW/PS4/PC)
RAILGRADE (NSW/PC)
RPG Time: The Legend of Wright (NSW/PS4 late port)
Sonic Frontiers (XB/PS/NSW/PC)
Disney Dreamlight Valley (NSW/PS4/XBone/PC)
Live A Live (NSW)
DORAEMON STORY OF SEASONS: Friends of Great Kingdom (NSW/PS5/PC)
Minecraft Legends (PS/XB/NSW/PC)
DRAGON QUEST TRESURES (NSW)
Fire Emblem: Three Hopes (NSW)
No Man's Sky (Switch late port)
A Plague Tale: Requiem - Cloud Version (NSW, native port all other platforms)
Portal: Companion Collection (Switch late port)
HARVESTELLA (NSW/PC)
Persona 3/4/5 (Switch late port)

Does anyone have a JP only direct list so I can update it?

bolded for clarity that's 5 late ports relative to other platforms, and 1-2 ports to the current gen in general

out of 24 total announcements

Nier looks to be $40

lmao in a forced size L??

It was basically what I was expecting. It was okay. Only surprise was no Tactics Ogre lol. Oh and could you imagine the megaton if we hadn't had prior knowledge of Persona going multiplatform?!
But in the end I can't help to think they could have made a good general (mini ?) with this + Metroid Prime, Bayo 3, Pokemon SV, Splatoon 3, new FE etc.
Right now I am a bit clueless as to why they decided to go this way

This was easily the best partner showcase. Considering how good it was, I have no idea why they didn't just throw in a couple Nintendo games and call it a general but oh well.

I mean, I'd like to think there's a fair amount of people who were interested in the game but not "will buy a PS4 for that" interested. Or maybe that's just me?
I find it hard to believe that with an install base of 110m that Japanese game fans who like JRPGs or Atlus games wouldn't have bought a PS5 by now if they were genuinely enthused at the idea of playing Persona 5.

Okay, I imagine there are quite a few people who are Switch owners who weren't aware of Persona 5 "back in the day" who are now interested. But there can't be any big persona fans who were into the series in 2017 who sat patiently for 5 years. At that stage, how interested are you, really?

And anyway, my point was that you said that it wasn't really a late port. The original launched a month after Switch, and the port launches as we're all sat here 5 years later speculating about whether Switch 2 / Switch Pro will drop early next year. It's late! That's all I'm saying.

Pretty sweet, Nier Automata and Persona were games I've always wanted to try. Feels like my patience is being rewarded.

Put me in the camp that doesn't really care how "late" a port is. I've owned a Switch since launch and it's become my primary console, with my gaming PC reserved for games I know aren't coming to it (e.g. Starfield). Hybrid gaming has just become so convenient for me and I'd prefer to have most of my games consolidated in one or two libraries. I've straight up double-dipped games on Steam and Switch for this reason.

I understand if these ports are unexciting for those who own other home consoles but "better late than never" still applies here. Seriously.

That’s exactly where I am. I’m interested in both Nier and P5 to see what all the fuss is about but I wasn’t going to buy a home console just to play them. They might as well be new games to me, late ports on portables is nothing new.

An absolutely amazing show, it redeemed the partner showcases. This was a E3 direct-tier, but without Nintendo stuff. But I can see why they would have wanted to separate things, because a lot of this stuff could have been easily overshadowed by first party. Now everything will have their time to shine.

NieR and Persona on switch, what a time to be alive. Definitely the best console I have ever had, portable and TV.

Oh, and also Portal shadowdrop, amazing!

Lol. Lucky form me that’s my size, but pretty tone deaf decision. Usually these things are in XXL or S though. Not sure why they couldn’t at least have a selectable size and then just grey out the selection when stock depletes.

Decent enough presentation. I was hoping to see a few more near-term things, and as usual I wish third parties cooperated a bit more…there’s no reason for October to be so packed. M+R and Persona release within a day of one another I believe.

Oh well. I hope we get some first party tidbits soon. Add in one or two first party games and that’s a great fall lineup.

FWV_sh0UcAA5xaD

was this posted here yet? P5 is physical, 4 and 3 are digital only

I had completely forgotten about Dragon Quest Treasures! A spinoff starring Erik, what an age we live in. Hopefully there's room for a Healijah cameo in there somewhere! I love that guy.

I didn't like the character designs or general look of Harvestella, but...that game seems nuts? A life sim with some pretty involved looking combat and also, there is a Hell Season that overtakes your town. Will have to keep an eye on that one.

Lotsa good stuff in there.

So, you mean to say you enjoyed nearly 80% of the show? Here is what was a port:

bolded for clarity that's 5 late ports relative to other platforms, and 1-2 ports to the current gen in general

How have you left off
A Plague Tale: Requiem - Cloud Version??

All old games, or am I mistaken? So about 10 old games out of the 24 announcements. Shame that I literally just beat Plague Tale last month.

And I'm going to be honest - I thought Return to Monkey Island was Secret of Monkey Island, lol. I'll give you that one! Skipped ahead when I saw it.

For Partner Direct, this was not bad at all. The “there’s something for everyone” line is mostly true based on reactions I’ve seen so far. I’m personally excited to play the persona games finally!

This one was very good. Surprised no Trinity Trigger was in neither english / jp direct, considering that one releases in September

I've heard so many good things about Portal but I'm still hesitant to buy it. How much is the collection?
In the UK it's £13.49. way cheaper than I expected, bought it straight away. They're like the only games from the ps360 gen I've wanted to catch up on

What genre is DQ Treasures looking like? At first it looked like a DQ 3D platformer with the Monsters spin-off elements but now, it’s an action JPRG?

I can't believe it with my own eyes, a fucking Pac Man World remake...DID NOT SEE THAT ONE COMING AHHHHHHHHHHH!! THANK YOU BANDAI NAMCO!!

How have you left off
These games are old but the Legacy Collections themselves are 'new releases', it's not like the collection itself has been out on PS4 for years. The post you quoted referred to late ports relative to other platforms. The only other way to play them would be an original GBA, Wii U VC or PC emulation.

I can't wait to play Persona 3 again, I've been wanting to play it through for ages and have just never had the hardware to make that happen. Best Persona by a mile for me. Switch will be ideal!

I was prepared for only the Persona 3 and 4 announcements, or maybe no Persona at all. At the end it was awesome. I got most of what i was expecting, except for the pixel remasters and the Batman collection

While yes the PCC is a late port from the PC it is exclusive to Nintendo at the moment. So I wouldn’t necessarily call it a late port.

Tbh, the Persona port is so late that it wraps back around to me actually being interested in it as a PS4 owner. I bought and played the game at launch but skipped Royal because it took me years to finish so it was still fresh in my mind by the time Royal came out. Now that Royal is a handheld game with more content, it makes it more like something along the lines of the Vita release of Golden to me.

How have you left off
A Plague Tale: Requiem - Cloud Version??

All old games, or am I mistaken? So about 10 old games out of the 24 announcements. Shame that I literally just beat Plague Tale last month.

And I'm going to be honest - I thought Return to Monkey Island was Secret of Monkey Island, lol. I'll give you that one! Skipped ahead when I saw it.
I said that there were 1-2 ports to current gen, to which I was referring to Megaman and Plague Tale (I didn't know enough about the latter to say, hence the range).

Pac-Man is a full remake of a 23 year old game, not a port. And not sure why you'd round from 8 up to 10?

But I see, you are inclusive of remakes and such in your definition and looking for new experiences, to which an exact third of this direct weren't. Imo if 2/3 of a direct met my criteria of interest I'd be pretty happy but different strokes.

The most amazing thing about this direct? Capcom releasing a Mega Man collection in 2 parts but actually putting both in the physical cart instead of including a download code. World might end actually.

I find it hard to believe that with an install base of 110m that Japanese game fans who like JRPGs or Atlus games wouldn't have bought a PS5 by now if they were genuinely enthused at the idea of playing Persona 5.

Okay, I imagine there are quite a few people who are Switch owners who weren't aware of Persona 5 "back in the day" who are now interested. But there can't be any big persona fans who were into the series in 2017 who sat patiently for 5 years. At that stage, how interested are you, really?

And anyway, my point was that you said that it wasn't really a late port. The original launched a month after Switch, and the port launches as we're all sat here 5 years later speculating about whether Switch 2 / Switch Pro will drop early next year. It's late! That's all I'm saying.
Have you ever considered people that can't afford to have two consoles?

Honestly, for a partner direct, that was very solid... They had a lot of E3 obligations so the length and scope is about to be expected .

Seriously though, why is almost everything in bloody October. MY WALLET IS HURTING SO MUCH AT THE THOUGHT.

Nier Automata on Oct 6th, Mario Rabbids Sparks of Hope on Oct 20th, Persona 5 Royal on October 21st. Someone please help me. I have too many games I want to play in October and not enough free time. Also happy Nier and Persona 5 Royal are getting physical releases. I can hold onto my sanity a little longer (I have a 128GB MicroSD but still prefer physical).

Daddy Nintendo why did you forsake me so badly. 3 big games in October with Pokemon in November is gonna kill me. I don't have enough free time to clear that backlog of games I want.

I never played Nier, never played Persona due to not owning Playstation consoles and the games are supposedly very good so I think I'll pick them up. Maybe I can trick one of my siblings into buying 1 of the 3 games for me for Christmas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom