• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.

Discussion Nintendo 64 NSO Controllers are now available for purchase at $49.99

Thanks @Mandos @Jersh @Kingo @YolkFolk for explaining that to me and sharing your experiences. I'm pretty sure I held it in 2D mode despite playing 3D games more or less exclusively. No wonder I don't have gone memories of it as a controller. Looking forward to trying it out again.

I'm so bummed that I missed this! Hopefully will be back in sooner rather than later. I see it says more later in October.

Flashnews: Not available anymore...wow.

Geez.

The controller had 2 modes - 2D mode and 3D mode. For 2D mode you held the left and right handles. For 3D mode you held the middle and right handles. In 3D mode the Z trigger replaced the L button. Games used less inputs then so you didn’t need access to the D-Pad.

A lot of people misjudge the N64 controller and these people mostly never used it and apply modern control standards when judging it. They presume that it was awkward to reach the D-Pad and L button when you were playing in 3D mode when I’m reality you never really had to do this due to the reasons I mentioned above.

Of course, the design wouldn’t work today because control schemes are more complex and you’re required to have access to as many inputs as possible, but back in the days it worked perfectly with games designed around the hardware which required less complex inputs.

3D mode

220px-N64-Controller-in-Hand.jpg
I didn’t know about the two “modes”, that’s interesting! I certainly only ever used the middle and right handles - maybe that’s child me’s fault for not reading the manuals! I never really minded the controller, though in a similar vein maybe that’s just because I was a lot younger and didn’t really care too much. I do remember being impressed by the rumble pak once we finally got one.

Only all EU (and associated) My Nintendo Stores still seem to have them. I ordered my Nintendo 64 controllers earlier and am excited!

Got one order in and I'm tempted to order another at some point. I have a real soft spot for the N64 controller.

Was able to luckily get one! 🙌

Which once it arrives should complete our Nintendo controllers "collection", since it was the only type missing. The set already included NES and SNES from the mini versions, a Gamecube third party controller, and everything from Wii onwards. So this basically makes it set + lets us have an OG N64 experience for the first time... since well, I hadn't been borned yet when the console itself had launched.

€50 for a N64 controller, sweet lord that's honestly insane. I really do want two (one to keep sealed away), but for that money it's going to be quite the wait...

I'm more interested to see how the build quality is on these. I had just the one 64 controller from the time I got mine and that stick had the ever loving hell beat out of it.

Why am I talking myself into the Genesis controller

I have no nostalgia for the thing

It's not even the six button

I'm not swimming in cash

Why do I want it

Sold out, womp womp. I hope they come back before Christmas
Additional controllers will be available late October.

I managed to snag one from the UK store. I'm so chuffed that we no longer have to pay shipping over £20... All the exclusive My Nintendo stuff used to come from Germany with great postage costs.

£40 is fairly reasonable.

No Mega Drive controllers available for us yet though... Doubt I will bite as actually find the shape of the kidney bean pad a little uncomfortable. It's a bit big. I have an 8bitdo M30 too.

Do we know when these controllers will ship? I imagined they'd be ready in time for the NSO launch but at this rate, I sort of doubt it, haha.

Now I just hope that 8bitdo makes a wireless Receiver for the n64.
Like they did for the nes and snes.

I really want to use this controller on my N64

Bummed I missed out on the 64 controller here in Australia. I was looking after my kids and didn’t even realise it went up. 😞

Back
Top Bottom