• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Nikkei - Nintendo won't launch a new Switch model during the current fiscal year (UP: see threadmarks for official translation of the Nikkei article)

instead of buying ugly switch games for another year I've pared my purchases down to Splatoon 3 and this book

61oeMjnfRlL.jpg
Buy a PC already, it hurts to see you suffer like this

Btw: the Super Switch alike Chip Orin has been released and is now able tu buy immediately:

Maybe it's just semantics here, but Nintendo's Drake's chip has not been released. Drake is a custom chip based off the Orion, with different core counts, without the automotive parts, 128 bit RAM buswidth, and who knows what else. Although any could be subject to change perhaps.

Not that it matters anyway since devs have been getting Orion based kits for awhile.

Last edited:
I seriously doubt they would launch it in June, because the last model they launched around the world in June was the DS lite, and that only sold 93.8 million units.

Even if this isn't Furukawa saying this, I can believe it, unfortunately.

Which is fine, this year is stacked enough as it is game wise, don't need to spend extra money on Switch hardware lol

I'm gonna be honest it is a little tiring that people are now saying H2 of 2023 makes sense. First it was H1 2022. Then it was H2 2022, even as recently as this weekend. Then it was H1 of 2023(with Botw2 ofc) and now H2 of 2023.

Eventually you guys will be right ig, lol. But right now this speculation is a bit tiring, no?

Logically speaking these shortages point to nothing substantial coming. There was definitely something coming but covid and the supply shortage made it unfeasible.

Even if this isn't Furukawa saying this, I can believe it, unfortunately.

Which is fine, this year is stacked enough as it is game wise, don't need to spend extra money on Switch hardware lol
yep. waiting on games is going to save me a fair bit of money too

Soooo your saying it’ll be April 2023 ?

Sarcasm aside I think it'll be next year be it summer/fall and it'll be fully backward compatible with the Switch.

I'm gonna be honest it is a little tiring that people are now saying H2 of 2023 makes sense. First it was H1 2022. Then it was H2 2022, even as recently as this weekend. Then it was H1 of 2023(with Botw2 ofc) and now H2 of 2023.
Having followed this discussion for a while, I have consistently heard late 2022 - early 2023 as a speculated 'consensus' for possible release timeframe. I've never heard early 2022. Even in late 2021, I've been reading late 2022 - early 2023.

I'm sticking to this timeframe, myself. Nikkei's report seems to be reasonable and informed analysis but is not gospel that guarantees a new console cannot be revealed or released this fiscal year. Maybe the release slips into the next fiscal year but still falls into early '23, because of said shortages. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Either way the hardware from the Nvidia data breach exists and will be in our (or scalpers' hands), unlikely it's some cancelled project that never got off the ground like the Nintendo Indy.

Eventually you guys will be right ig, lol. But right now this speculation is a bit tiring, no?

Logically speaking these shortages point to nothing substantial coming. There was definitely something coming but covid and the supply shortage made it unfeasible.
It was never H1 2022. It remains H2 2022-early 2023 as it has always been said to be since the beginning of 2021.

I really hate this revisionism that makes people who like to discuss rumors look like goal post moving idiots. It's extremely toxic.

Having followed this discussion for a while, I have consistently heard late 2022 - early 2023 as a speculated 'consensus' for possible release timeframe. I've never heard early 2022. Even in late 2021, I've been reading late 2022 - early 2023.

I'm sticking to this timeframe, myself. Nikkei's report seems to be reasonable and informed analysis but is not gospel that guarantees a new console cannot be revealed or released this fiscal year. Maybe the release slips into the next fiscal year but still falls into early '23, because of said shortages. If I'm wrong, I'm wrong.

Either way the hardware from the Nvidia data breach exists and will be in our (or scalpers' hands), unlikely it's some cancelled project that never got off the ground like the Nintendo Indy.
Nate’s podcasts started veering into early 2022 territory from March 2021 after Digital Foundry poured cold water on the idea of it being 2021.
At one point he said it needed to be announced before April 2022 but I don't think he ever explained why he thought that.

Nate’s podcasts started veering into early 2022 territory from March 2021 after Digital Foundry poured cold water on the idea of it being 2021.
At one point he said it needed to be announced before April 2022 but I don't think he ever explained why he thought that.
Ah ok, I'm definitely curious about what's going on behind the scenes. COVID, war in Ukraine and shortages introduce so many confounding factors that I don't doubt whatever existing plans got screwed up.

Ah ok, I'm definitely curious about what's going on behind the scenes. COVID, war in Ukraine and shortages introduce so many confounding factors that I don't doubt whatever existing plans got screwed up.
Well he seems to put that down to a mistake now so I don't think it was an actual thing.

put on your tinfoil hats, i’ve got a conspiracy theory

Furukawa is trying to make the public message “we are trying our best to make as many as we can but it’s gonna be rough and we might not be able to fulfill demand” so people think ”well I guess I should buy hardware asap” to try to goose sales to counterbalance the sales drop that’ll occur when solid word/pictures come out (officially or otherwise) that the Pro is real and will be coming out before end of FY23

not that I put much stock in my vibes, but I find this harder and harder to believe
I'm recalling a ResetEra member - Matt I believe - who vaguely hinted at having / seeing (?) devkits with comments like "Neat" and "Very neat." (the latter in response to a report about a DLSS Switch). This was last year.

I have nothing more to say regarding that, it's just been stuck in the back of my mind, lol.

put on your tinfoil hats, i’ve got a conspiracy theory

Furukawa is trying to make the public message “we are trying our best to make as many as we can but it’s gonna be rough and we might not be able to fulfill demand” so people think ”well I guess I should buy hardware asap” to try to goose sales to counterbalance the sales drop that’ll occur when solid word/pictures come out (officially or otherwise) that the Pro is real and will be coming out before end of FY23
Furukawa backstage after the interview:

tenor.gif

It was never H1 2022. It remains H2 2022-early 2023 as it has always been said to be since the beginning of 2021.

I really hate this revisionism that makes people who like to discuss rumors look like goal post moving idiots. It's extremely toxic.
This isn't even remotely true but I'm not going to argue because there's no point.

Well not really, the earliest it can be is April 2023.

Well not really, the earliest it can be is April 2023.
That's if you 100% believe this report which I don't think anyone should be at the moment. It needs the same level of salt as most Nikkei reporting (which isn't much, but still some).

That's if you 100% believe this report which I don't think anyone should be at the moment. It needs the same level of salt as most Nikkei reporting (which isn't much, but still some).
I do believe it more than Nate. I mean both Nate and Nikei. Could be right if it launches between April and August, but you know what I mean.

I'm fine with this personally.

As I said in the other thread, I'm having way too much fun with the current Switch to be in any hurry to spend hundreds of bucks on a new box.

Switch graphics look just fine to me, I thought Kirby and the Forgotten Land was beautiful and I'm enjoying the heck out of Xenoblade 3 right now, even stopping now and then to admire the vistas.

I enjoy pretty visuals as much as the next guy, but I don't need my games to 4K/120fps with raytracing so long as they're fun to play.

New switch is still releasing next year whether or not it releases in the first 3 months

If it doesn’t release in the first 3 months though then it’s most likely a fall release

My dream is for the switch to overtake the PS2 in sales and so I either want the new hardware to either be counted towards the sales or it not to come out for a few more years so the switch has the best chance at surpassing the PS2.

I think it's about time that we realize that most of these Switch Pro rumors (outside of the Nvidia leaks) are either outdated or misleading, if not completely false. If the early rumors were true this would be out by now or in the next few months. But it's not. I'm thinking 2024 Switch 2 now.

I think it's about time that we realize that most of these Switch Pro rumors (outside of the Nvidia leaks) are either outdated or misleading, if not completely false. If the early rumors were true this would be out by now or in the next few months. But it's not. I'm thinking 2024 Switch 2 now.
But a lot what had leaked was did fit the Nvidea leak?

The Nvidia leak lines up very well with the other rumors, though. Including with respect to timing. I have some reservations about the claim in this article, but even if it's true, the hardware really should be on store shelves by this time next year.

My dream is for the switch to overtake the PS2 in sales and so I either want the new hardware to either be counted towards the sales or it not to come out for a few more years so the switch has the best chance at surpassing the PS2.
I think even with new hardware coming out they will have a good chance of passing the PS2. Supply issues & cross-gen will keep the Switch relevant for a bit.

I don't know if he's toxic but he has his facts straight and that's easy to grasp.
Okay you clearly aren't paying attention. He found what I said to be toxic so I dropped it. How is that not easy for you to grasp?

Edit: Next time don't involve yourself if you lack understanding especially since they didn't even respond to me. I'm done with this lol.

Let this be a lesson, not to waste time with rumours and with so called insiders. The whole Switch Pro rumours since day one of Switchs lifecycle, were mostly there to generate traffic and a desperate attempt to slow down Switchs success.

Let this be a lesson, not to waste time with rumours and with so called insiders. The whole Switch Pro rumours since day one of Switchs lifecycle, were mostly there to generate traffic and a desperate attempt to slow down Switchs success.
I wouldn't say all that, but I'm definitely there with you on rumors. To the people who enjoy them they're their own reward, but I think in my case I've wasted a lot of time trying to understand what's happening through them.

... Nikkei's report is an insider report though.

I like how last year Bloomberg and Nikkei were lying "so-called insiders" and now Nikkei's word is gospel since it aligns to your particular narrative.

... Nikkei's report is an insider report though.

I like how last year Bloomberg and Nikkei were lying "so-called insiders" and now Nikkei's word is gospel since it aligns to your particular narrative.
So true. They will cite Nikkei or Bloomberg whenever it suits their narrative to troll and insult people.

Back
Top Bottom