• Hey everyone, staff have documented a list of banned content and subject matter that we feel are not consistent with site values, and don't make sense to host discussion of on Famiboards. This list (and the relevant reasoning per item) is viewable here.
  • Do you have audio editing experience and want to help out with the Famiboards Discussion Club Podcast? If so, we're looking for help and would love to have you on the team! Just let us know in the Podcast Thread if you are interested!

Rumour Nikkei - Nintendo won't launch a new Switch model during the current fiscal year (UP: see threadmarks for official translation of the Nikkei article)

... Nikkei's report is an insider report though.

I like how last year Bloomberg and Nikkei were lying "so-called insiders" and now Nikkei's word is gospel since it aligns to your particular narrative.

Switch Pro rumours were prevalent from the very beginning since 2017. With the art of moving goalposts elevated to a olympic level over the years.

I'm interested in actual tangible things not narratives. Certain people made a quick buck with the traffic generated with these rumours.

Switch Pro rumours were prevalent from the very beginning since 2017.
Random speculation from forum and Twitter posters is not on the same level as Bloomberg reporting and an Nvidia data breach.

I think they were in the late stages of planning for an upgraded Switch ("Switch Pro" if you will), but the chip shortage and global supply chain issues made it too costly, and that's how we ended up getting the OLED model instead.

I think it's too late for a Switch Pro now. I expect them to announce a Switch successor sometime in the next 12 months, with a release likely in late 2023 or early 2024.

But this is all speculation on my part. And Nintendo is the least predictable of "The Big 3".

Fiscal year ends in 3/31 for them. I could see them releasing shortly outside that window or even in the Fall 23. Just because they won't launch in FY22 doesn't mean it won't be announced sometime in their FY22-Q4 like Jan/Feb (after holiday season).

Switch Pro rumours were prevalent from the very beginning since 2017. With the art of moving goalposts elevated to a olympic level over the years.

I'm interested in actual tangible things not narratives. Certain people made a quick buck with the traffic generated with these rumours.
Yeah this is more of that toxicity I was talking about. Especially problematic since you're not referring to any one individual or any one rumor so I can't make you cite a source.

This is why reporting on this subject has massively dwindled over the past year and why I have so much respect for Nate for somehow being able to put up with this bullshit.

I think they were in the late stages of planning for an upgraded Switch ("Switch Pro" if you will), but the chip shortage and global supply chain issues made it too costly, and that's how we ended up getting the OLED model instead.
We already knew about OLED in 2020 due to it being datamined, that means it was planned before COVID was a thing and unless you think that Nintendo predicted the pandemic it means OLED was always a planned thing and not a β€˜Plan B’

Let this be a lesson, not to waste time with rumours and with so called insiders. The whole Switch Pro rumours since day one of Switchs lifecycle, were mostly there to generate traffic and a desperate attempt to slow down Switchs success.
what-jim-carrey.gif

We already knew about OLED in 2020 due to it being datamined, that means it was planned before COVID was a thing and unless you think that Nintendo predicted the pandemic it means OLED was always a planned thing and not a β€˜Plan B’
Well my thinking was less that the OLED model was a substitute for the "Pro" and more that the Pro was going to have an upgraded SoC + OLED. Then they ditched the upgraded SoC, but kept the OLED screen.

That's just my theory, though, and I admit I could be dead wrong. Especially since I didn't follow all the rumors and speculation that closely.

Well my thinking was less that the OLED model was a substitute for the "Pro" and more that the Pro was going to have an upgraded SoC + OLED. Then they ditched the upgraded SoC, but kept the OLED screen.

That's just my theory, though, and I admit I could be dead wrong. Especially since I didn't follow all the rumors and speculation that closely.
There is no evidence Switch OLED was ever intended to contain any SoC other than Mariko. It was using that from the moment it showed up in public firmware builds.

Yeah this is more of that toxicity I was talking about. Especially problematic since you're not referring to any one individual or any one rumor so I can't make you cite a source.

This is why reporting on this subject has massively dwindled over the past year and why I have so much respect for Nate for somehow being able to put up with this bullshit.
Revisionism and social media reporting rumors or unconfirmed information as facts.

Agreed completely with the toxicity of the subject. We can’t speculate even in this thread without that kind of posts.

There is no evidence Switch OLED was ever intended to contain any SoC other than Mariko. It was using that from the moment it showed up in public firmware builds.
Ah, I see. That completely rules my theory out, then lol. But good to know!

Staff Communication
Folks, we've been through this all before.
  • If your post is gloating about being right (or someone else being wrong), belittling others for believing/disbelieving something you do not, or otherwise being reductive, please just don't.
  • Please don't take the bait. Report and move on rather than escalating.
  • If the thread is aggravating you, step away and consider putting it on Ignore.

Folks, we've been through this all before.
  • If your post is gloating about being right (or someone else being wrong), belittling others for believing/disbelieving something you do not, or otherwise being reductive, please just don't.
  • Please don't take the bait. Report and move on rather than escalating.
  • If the thread is aggravating you, step away and consider putting it on Ignore.
Yeah. Sorry, I'll act on this and ignore what I feel may be problematic posts.

Okay you clearly aren't paying attention. He found what I said to be toxic so I dropped it. How is that not easy for you to grasp?

Edit: Next time don't involve yourself if you lack understanding especially since they didn't even respond to me. I'm done with this lol.
Your feelings about someone else don't interest me.
You said he was wrong about h1 2022 and that's why I replied because indeed it was never claimed to be a possibility, so misinformation.

Well companies are constantly thinking of their next step. The Switch being out doesn't mean nothing is in development. Yes, it would be behind more closed doors, but it seems that some people managed to be in touch with certain people that had some vague info. Slowly but surely we got a fuller picture.

I assume COVID really put some changes in strategy for a lot of companies. I am assuming the Pro was meant to be released earlier but due to logistics changes things have changed. Bloomberg didn't pull that article out of their arse and Nvidea didn't make a fake internal document for a new Nintendo Console.

The things that have been leaked out about a new Switch be it a Pro or whatever it will be that all seem to align in most cases.

Just because you are getting burned out on the narrative of the Switch Pro rumours doesn't mean they are less likely to be true.

Aren't you all tired of the Pro rumours? I wanted for it to be real, but after 2 years of speculation and wanting it to be real and a release of the OLED model (with a better and bigger screen) i came to peace with it.
At this point, it might as well be a successor with backward compatibility, although i can't imagine what kind of killer software would it launch at... launch.

Aren't you all tired of the Pro rumours? I wanted for it to be real, but after 2 years of speculation and wanting it to be real and a release of the OLED model (with a better and bigger screen) i came to peace with it.
At this point, it might as well be a successor with backward compatibility, although i can't imagine what kind of killer software would it launch at... launch.
Something that took me a long time to realize is that for most of the people who are always talking about it, hardware discussion is its own reward. The final product coming later than expected really just means that they have more time to pore through technical details and discuss the direction of the industry. If that sort of dialogue doesn't interest you, as I've found broadly doesn't interest me, then of course the ride has grown irritating. To the people most dedicated, however, it's about the journey as much or more than it's about the destination.

Personally, I'm past my breaking point. I was already running out of steam after June, and this is sort of the last straw for my interest in new hardware. I'm giving up on it, and I encourage anyone who is frustrated by this news to look closely at your own engagement and consider turning away from it as well. That sort of introspection is valuable for anyone who spends a lot of time on the internet, but I think it's especially pertinent to the cycle of hardware rumors.

Something that took me a long time to realize is that for most of the people who are always talking about it, hardware discussion is its own reward. The final product coming later than expected really just means that they have more time to pore through technical details and discuss the direction of the industry. If that sort of dialogue doesn't interest you, as I've found broadly doesn't interest me, then of course the ride has grown irritating. To the people most dedicated, however, it's about the journey as much or more than it's about the destination.

Personally, I'm past my breaking point. I was already running out of steam after June, and this is sort of the last straw for my interest in new hardware. I'm giving up on it, and I encourage anyone who is frustrated by this news to look closely at your own engagement and consider turning away from it as well. That sort of introspection is valuable for anyone who spends a lot of time on the internet, but I think it's especially pertinent to the cycle of hardware rumors.
I tried to accompany the hardware discussion, even on the old forum, but at the end of the day i just wanted to know the latest possible rumour and not speculation about the technical details. And i agree with you on this, for them it's more about the journey than the final product, while we just want a stable native resolution and 60 fps.

It gets hard to enjoy what you have, in the moment, when you're wishing on the back of your head for something better (and you can apply this to life also, not just for the Switch Pro). For me, at the end of it i got a bigger OLED screen and was quite happy with that upgrade :).

I tried to accompany the hardware discussion, even on the old forum, but at the end of the day i just wanted to know the latest possible rumour and not speculation about the technical details. And i agree with you on this, for them it's more about the journey than the final product, while we just want a stable native resolution and 60 fps.

It gets hard to enjoy what you have, in the moment, when you're wishing on the back of your head for something better (and you can apply this to life also, not just for the Switch Pro). For me, at the end of it i got a bigger OLED screen and was quite happy with that upgrade :).
Yep. The refrain of a good real-life friend of mine has been "yeah, but that isn't real!" At first I argued with him, but I've come to understand his meaning: if it's not in front of you, you shouldn't devote your mind to it. Play, discuss, and analyze the games that exist, as they exist, rather than always yearning for something better.

Yep. The refrain of a good real-life friend of mine has been "yeah, but that isn't real!" At first I argued with him, but I've come to understand his meaning: if it's not in front of you, you shouldn't devote your mind to it. Play, discuss, and analyze the games that exist, as they exist, rather than always yearning for something better.
Wise words Raccoon, wise words.

I think it's human nature to always yearn for something better and not being satisfied with what we have, that's why we have to fight that instinct, focus on what we have in front of us and enjoy.

Not really, no. This side of the industry is fascinating to me. And the rumors are constantly evolving as new information comes to light, it's fun trying to keep up with everything and seeing new revelations.

To be completely honest I could not care less about specs. If I ever get a Drake switch it'll be primarily for any exclusives it might have, otherwise I really have no interest.

But the discussion and speculation and information about it has been a very entertaining ride.

Unfortunate fact: the people who want a Switch Pro the most should stay furthest away from the rumors.

The more rumours and other kind of info (legitimate ones) appear, the easier it is to wait for the new Switch, for me.

Not the best comparison but Emily Rogers' and Eurogamer's reporting on the NX system made me so excited as someone who owned the 3DS, and it made things even better because that info was true. Similat thing with the leaks for this new Switch. Regardless of the release timing, the reasonable speculation based on the leaks and any production leaks makes for an interesting ride until the new device releases.

Not everyone will feel that way obviously.

Aren't you all tired of the Pro rumours?
Tired of which rumors, exactly, I can pin it down to three precise bits of information, someone please correct me if I'm wrong:
  • DLSS Switch exists (essentially confirmed by Nvidia leak, corroborated by Nate and Bloomberg)
  • Developers have had devkits for some time (reported by Bloomberg, corroborated by Nate)
  • Device is slated for a late 2022 - early 2023 launch (said a while back by Nate, Bloomberg reported developers with devkits plan to release games in this timeframe)
Edit: I'll specify that these are the most prominent ones in circulation the past year or so. The recent stuff from Chinese forums is less known.

I get the vibe that people are mixing up disparate speculation, buzz, and hype with more concrete reporting and leaks, and are tired of the conversation in general.

If one feels like their hopes are crushed by Nikkei's own informed analysis (which again, is not conclusive, just a deduction based on Nintendo's comments on component shortages. Even the Eurogamer headline says 'don't expect', and the article narrows its scope to this financial year), then yeah, just take a break.

And my personal answer is no, I'm not tired because it's fun to daydream about the powerful mobile device Nintendo and Nvidia are working on. If I'm honest I've been playing Xenoblade DE on my current Switch for seven hours straight today and don't even have any complaints, I'm just fascinated about the potential of future tech.

Last edited:
Tired of which rumors, exactly, I can pin it down to three precise bits of information, someone please correct me if I'm wrong:
  • DLSS Switch exists (essentially confirmed by Nvidia leak, corroborated by Nate and Bloomberg)
  • Developers have had devkits for some time (reported by Bloomberg, corroborated by Nate)
  • Device is slated for a late 2022 - early 2023 launch (said a while back by Nate, Bloomberg reported developers with devkits plan to release games in this timeframe)
As someone who hasn’t been really keeping up with the hardware rumors, thank you for this. Especially interested in the third bullet point, because I would have pegged the new hardware reveal at late 2023 at the earliest. Time will tell, I suppose.

As someone who hasn’t been really keeping up with the hardware rumors, thank you for this. Especially interested in the third bullet point, because I would have pegged the new hardware reveal at late 2023 at the earliest. Time will tell, I suppose.
I personally think that since the late 2022 - early 2023 timeframe was reported about a year ago, prior to current global events, it is probably outdated information and late 2022 reveal/release may not be in the cards, even if that was the original plan.

However, I'm not personally ruling out an early 2023 reveal and release. There doesn't need to be a big leadup since this isn't a Wii U -> Switch situation, where the Wii U was dead and they needed to move on and talk about their successor.

Either way they have to release the hardware they're working at some point, lol. An upgraded Switch was always a safe assumption, but we can sit pretty knowing it'll have DLSS and whatever that entails.

Exact quotes from Bloomberg on the third bullet:
But a system capable of handling 4K games isn’t expected to be released until late next year at the earliest, people familiar with the plans said.

Developers declined to speculate on Nintendo’s plans for another console but said they expect to release their 4K Switch games during or after the second half of next year. […] Although Bloomberg identified 11 companies using the 4K kits, the actual number is probably much higher.

Source: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...developers-make-games-for-nonexistent-console

Late 2022 has been the earliest possible date we could speculate, and it was assumed that if it wasn’t late 2022 that it wouldn’t be far off.

I mean there is still chance for this years release, but I was always thinking between Spring 2023. and Spring 2024. like time frame of release.

I mean there is still chance for this years release, but I was always thinking between Spring 2023. and Spring 2024. like time frame of release.
Yet e.g. Nates reaction is very weird by backpedalling even with this very rubbish Nikkei article, which even native speakers clearly cant understand properly. Who did greenlight that article anyway?!

Edit: I'll specify that these are the most prominent ones in circulation the past year or so. The recent stuff from Chinese forums is less known.

I get the vibe that people are mixing up disparate speculation, buzz, and hype with more concrete reporting and leaks, and are tired of the conversation in general.

If one feels like their hopes are crushed by Nikkei's own informed analysis (which again, is not conclusive, just a deduction based on Nintendo's comments on component shortages. Even the Eurogamer headline says 'don't expect', and the article narrows its scope to this financial year), then yeah, just take a break.

And my personal answer is no, I'm not tired because it's fun to daydream about the powerful mobile device Nintendo and Nvidia are working on. If I'm honest I've been playing Xenoblade DE on my current Switch for seven hours straight today and don't even have any complaints, I'm just fascinated about the potential of future tech.
But the thing is that, even if these bits of information are real (and honestly, i believe they are except the last point; i still want a Switch Pro), they're not confirmed by an official announcement and that's what i'm talking about.

Yes, it's fun to daydream about a more powerful version of a console that we all love, but at least for me it's gets tired dreaming for years about that, reading that it's coming out in the next few months and then nothing. Until it it's officially announced (or there are concrete leaks with images, but this is Nintendo we're talking about), i find that it's worthless to speculate about it.

But that's my point of view, i know that for most people the fun in this is speculating about it; for me, i want a real announcement with a real release date and official images and specs of it.

But the thing is that, even if these bits of information are real (and honestly, i believe they are except the last point; i still want a Switch Pro), they're not confirmed by an official announcement and that's what i'm talking about.
This is the critical bit. I wouldn't disparage these rumors or their sources, but they're still "not real" by way of not being on the record.

This is the critical bit. I wouldn't disparage these rumors or their sources, but they're still "not real" by way of not being on the record.
Especially since as frequently put, β€œplans change”. And this isn’t an admonishment, this is simply the reality of reporting on stuff that isn’t set in stone.

I do believe devkits are out in the wild for example, but, and correct me if I’m mistaken, Nintendo is free to provide updated devkits, or inform devs they can target different performance benchmarks than previously established, right?

Especially since as frequently put, β€œplans change”. And this isn’t an admonishment, this is simply the reality of reporting on stuff that isn’t set in stone.
Exactly. Rumors stink as a source of information about what will actually happen and when.

So it seems possible (probable even) that Nikkei didn't even try to claim that there won't be a new model this year, just that no new model has yet been announced which is another reason why hitting their remaining 18M goal will be tough.

Seems like it was worded very poorly in Japanese.

But that's my point of view, i know that for most people the fun in this is speculating about it; for me, i want a real announcement with a real release date and official images and specs of it.
That's perfectly fair. At this point I am also just waiting. The Nvidia leak was back in March and has been the lynchpin of speculation for me, since it is a concrete piece of documentation and code we can point to and say "I expect x, y, and z" (in this case DLSS, RTX, and a much stronger GPU). After reading all about it, it makes the wait easier.

Since this thread is now bumped I'll share a translation of the article from the hardware thread:
It`s in a paragraph where the writer is implying that because there is no announcement of a new system, Nintendo making their sales targets for hardware is going to be difficult.

It is almost a throw-away line, I would not actually read anything into it either way regarding some insider knowledge from Nikkei.

Nintendo's president Furukawa also said: "Even if we were able to produce the quantity we wanted, If you ask whether it would fully sell, I can`t say I`m positive."
There also is no announcement of new hardware, which would be a centerpiece [of the sales strategy] for the FY.

In this [situation], the company will need to sell nearly 18 million units in the remaining nine months to meet it`s sales plan, a high hurdle.
There continue to be warning signs lighting up regarding market growth.

So it seems possible (probable even) that Nikkei didn't even try to claim that there won't be a new model this year, just that no new model has yet been announced which is another reason why hitting their remaining 18M goal will be tough.

Seems like it was worded very poorly in Japanese.
I'd argue it wasn't poorly. To people outside of the rumor sphere, it's the sort of statement of fact that doesn't need specified. A roughly equivalent English statement after the quote would be "Of course, without new hardware this will be a high bar to reach." I think it works as an aside, because nothing outside of these rumors says or implies hardware is coming. It's just sort of a statement of the current fact: no hardware announced, with no hardware seeming to be coming.

Why it was picked out as a scoop, I have no fucking idea. If it was a Nikkei scoop it probably would've been the focus of an article.

edit: More succinctly, "there's no hardware" is the default position which I think makes the line fair.

I'd argue it wasn't poorly. To people outside of the rumor sphere, it's the sort of statement of fact that doesn't need specified. A roughly equivalent English statement after the quote would be "Of course, without new hardware this will be a high bar to reach." I think it works as an aside, because nothing outside of these rumors says or implies hardware is coming. It's just sort of a statement of the current fact: no hardware announced, with no hardware seeming to be coming.

Why it was picked out as a scoop, I have no fucking idea. If it was a Nikkei scoop it probably would've been the focus of an article.

edit: More succinctly, "there's no hardware" is the default position which I think makes the line fair.
Well I say it was poorly worded since it apparently confused not only Mochizuki but other translators at other western outlets.

Mochizuki I get, he's got a big bias in this particular area.

Well I say it was poorly worded since it apparently confused not only Mochizuki but other translators at other western outlets.

Mochizuki I get, he's got a big bias in this particular area.
I suppose so, but I really do think it should have been fine. It blowing up the way it has is a product of the climate more than the phrasing.

I think it's too late for a Switch Pro now. I expect them to announce a Switch successor sometime in the next 12 months, with a release likely in late 2023 or early 2024.
I agree with everything you said, and second it.

Been saying the same argument, on and offline, since the initial Bloomberg report was getting killed.

I agree with everything you said, and second it.

Been saying the same argument, on and offline, since the initial Bloomberg report was getting killed.
The issue with it is we know for a fact it's not true. As the responses to that post indicate.

Aula was planned well before the pandemic and was always meant to be another Mariko revision with no new chip. This has been 100% confirmed by datamining.

The issue with it is we know for a fact it's not true. As the responses to that post indicate.

Aula was planned well before the pandemic and was always meant to be another Mariko revision with no new chip. This has been 100% confirmed by datamining.
Because the crack detectives on internet forums did their best Veronica Mars impression? I'm unconvinced.

But even if so, it ain't happening the way it would have happened.

Because the crack detectives on internet forums did their best Veronica Mars impression? I'm unconvinced.
I'm not here to convince you, I'm here to tell you (and others reading) what the reality was. We knew in April 2020 what Aula was and it was always planned from the beginning to use Mariko. You can believe whatever you'd like but that's the fact.
I'm not sure what this means, but if you're saying "the Drake launch isn't going to happen the way it would've happened if there was no pandemic" I don't think anyone at all would disagree.

As far as I know there is only one relevant new hardware from the Nvidia leak, which is codename Drake, having been in development since 2020 (someone please correct me if I'm wrong about the timeline).
I'm sure Nintendo experimented with using the Mariko chip for performance gains but opted to use it for the Lite and battery life refresh in 2019.

So "no Switch Pro, Switch 2 instead" is ultimately not a meaningful distinction, six years in, if we're talking about the DLSS hardware. I agree it's perceivably too late for a small upgrade.

With the Drake hardware, they can announce Switch 2 next year with a cross-gen period
... or "soft-launch" their new gen with Switch Ultra, market it as this enhanced model in the Switch family, then slowly grow the userbase and release first-party exclusives years later.

Either way the hardware will be fulfilling the same function of playing Switch games with enhancements, receiving more third-party ports, and eventually becoming the next generation Switch.

You have both the people and the method wrong. The people who reverse engineer the Switch firmware/OS (particularly, SciresM and hexkyz) discovered that support was added for a device with some sort of different screen (evident in the changed scope of the screen software services for that device) that specifically ran on Mariko. The only reason internet forums even found out was because they decided to tweet about it in direct response to Pro rumors at the time.

A lot more of the Switch's firmware details are publicly known than you'd expect due to having full access. The OLED model is supported in the OS by the same hardware profile "Aula" that's been public since spring 2020. Whether or not you anticipated the OLED model as it is before it was announced irrelevant; it's clear in retrospect that Nintendo planned it back in early 2020, well before the broader repercussions of the pandemic would become clear, and perhaps even before it was clear it'd be a global problem.

I think everyone's in agreement there.

A lot more of the Switch's firmware details are publicly known than you'd expect due to having full access. The OLED model is supported in the OS by the same hardware profile "Aula" that's been public since spring 2020. Whether or not you anticipated the OLED model as it is before it was announced irrelevant; it's clear in retrospect that Nintendo planned it back in early 2020, well before the broader repercussions of the pandemic would become clear, and perhaps even before it was clear it'd be a global problem.
I don't disagree that there were intentions to release a refresh, and that those plans were forced to be altered. I just think posting about said plans, as if they will roll out at any second now is a little goofy. Clearly, there were audibles called, and adjustments made, and at current, it doesn't make marketing sense to expect said refresh to release this year, or early next year.

I don't disagree that there were intentions to release a refresh, and that those plans were forced to be altered. I just think posting about said plans, as if they will roll out at any second now is a little goofy. Clearly, there were audibles called, and adjustments made, and at current, it doesn't make marketing sense to expect said refresh to release this year, or early next year.
All fair. It's just that the "OLED model was originally the Pro" theory is always going to get shot down because it's the one thing we know isn't true. Not only because it was planned to be what it was from the start, but also because the Drake chip itself wasn't even finished at the time, nor was it ever supposed to be.

But yes, the plans from late 2020 and early 2021 have very likely changed by this point, even if it wasn't in that specific way.

It's clear that it's real. The leaks in March are evidence enough.

I get being tired of the rumours though. Ultimately switch pro or not, there's still loads of stuff to play.

Switch Pro/2 FAQ

Is Nintendo making a new console? No shit
When is it coming out? No one has any clue
What about the devkits? Β―\(ツ)/Β―

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom